Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Hewlett posted:

So it turns out Alcohollywood didn't win the Podcast Awards this year, but we didn't really expect to (it's hard to win a category that only comprises about 10% at most of your subject matter, after all).

drat! Didn't those Beerist guys win last year? Do they have photos of Leo Laporte or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Jay Dub posted:

drat! Didn't those Beerist guys win last year? Do they have photos of Leo Laporte or something?

Yeah they won last year, I think it's a combination of being one of the few non annoying food and drink podcasts that's actually about drink, and the fact that the fan bases who go in for the Podcast Awards usually mean that the same things win every year. Film Sack won this year for best film podcast and Daily Spill won last year, but Spill just closed down a few weeks ago :(.

Also fun fact, Dr. Drew Pinsky hosted this year. Neither we nor the Beerists came to the actual awards this year.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hewlett posted:

Film Sack won this year for best film podcast

:psyduck: What I don't even

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
And surprise surprise, Best Travel Podcast went to one of the eight shows about Disney World.

(But not the one I listen to :mad:)

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Jay Dub posted:

And surprise surprise, Best Travel Podcast went to one of the eight shows about Disney World.

(But not the one I listen to :mad:)

Are there no other real podcasts about travel besides Disney World? That's insanity.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Hey I'd like to correct an error in your podcast. Godzilla vs Mothra was awesome when I was eight, and therefore, cannot be bad :colbert:.

Seriously though, you guys are great, loved your Oogieloves episode.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
My major problem is how rote it seemed. The movie starts with a hurricane destroying the construction of an industrial complex, so I'm expecting a story about nature breaking its bonds. Instead, that's the extent of it. That's just a theme on the Godzilla checklist and once it was covered they moved on. Godzilla acting like a cranky baby might be an interesting idea, but it just lays there and they don't do anything with it. The whole movie is full of that feeling. That's why the money (gun)shot and Mothra dragging Godzilla by the tail are my favorite parts because they show a measure of thought and inventiveness that the rest lacked.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Doing a little research later, I think our viewing experience might have been enhanced by watching (or even knowing about, in my case) the standalone Mothra movie that came before this. From what I've read after the fact, Mothra vs. Godzilla seems more a direct sequel to Mothra than anything else - the Japanese Clark and Jimmy/Jenny Olson characters were the protagonists of that film, and the little girls were introduced there. The fact that the film assumes we're familiar with them (or at least establishes them somewhat poorly) may be the fact that Honda and crew are assuming we've seen the first Mothra. It's much more Mothra's show than anything, which is maybe why Godzilla seems so shoehorned in.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Hewlett posted:

Doing a little research later, I think our viewing experience might have been enhanced by watching (or even knowing about, in my case) the standalone Mothra movie that came before this. From what I've read after the fact, Mothra vs. Godzilla seems more a direct sequel to Mothra than anything else - the Japanese Clark and Jimmy/Jenny Olson characters were the protagonists of that film, and the little girls were introduced there. The fact that the film assumes we're familiar with them (or at least establishes them somewhat poorly) may be the fact that Honda and crew are assuming we've seen the first Mothra. It's much more Mothra's show than anything, which is maybe why Godzilla seems so shoehorned in.

That is 100% correct and why it is called Mothra vs Godzilla and not Godzilla vs Mothra(like in the 92 movie). Just thinking off the top of my head, it is the only time that Godzilla gets second billing in the title.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Really, though, I'd probably have preferred if you guys had done Godzilla vs. Monster Zero/Invasion of the Astro-Monster. It has Godzilla doing a victory dance, aliens that look like Devo, nonsensical plot twists and a three-headed dragon that shoots lightning from it's mouth.

In fact I'm gonna go suggest that.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Maremidon posted:

Really, though, I'd probably have preferred if you guys had done Godzilla vs. Monster Zero/Invasion of the Astro-Monster. It has Godzilla doing a victory dance, aliens that look like Devo, nonsensical plot twists and a three-headed dragon that shoots lightning from it's mouth.

In fact I'm gonna go suggest that.

I do want that; even just reading the Wiki for the next one, it talks about Mothra having a conversation with Godzilla and Rodan about how they all need to team up to fight Ghidorah, to which Godzilla basically says 'gently caress off.'

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Bumping: Something that started out as a Christmas present for Jared has turned into me deciding to actually put this out there - I'm self-publishing an edition of all of our Fresh Pour/Rare & Vintage reviews of 2013 into a single volume, which you can find here:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/jared-latore-and-clint-worthington/alcohollywood-our-year-in-movies-2013/paperback/product-21388565.html

I doubt anyone is at all interested in picking up a physical copy of online material, but I'm not gonna lie, it feels good to have things you wrote be bound and printed.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Have you guys considered doing a documentary? A drinking game for a movie about genocide in Africa sounds absolutely fascinating.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Chichevache posted:

Have you guys considered doing a documentary? A drinking game for a movie about genocide in Africa sounds absolutely fascinating.

Haha, as much as I'd love to see what The Act of Killing would be like, I think it would take a lot of convincing to get Jared to watch it. Nonetheless, I do really want to experiment with documentaries and other genres/eras of film that we've otherwise ignored.

ANNOUNCEMENT: Since the show I'm directing in Chicago is taking up literally all of my time this week, and our guest is also having a bit of trouble scheduling around that remaining time, we're pushing our Mean Girls episode back a week - it'll come out the 23rd. I'm contemplating making a minisode as a filler, but we may just take this week off. Theatre is hard you guys!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Hewlett posted:

Haha, as much as I'd love to see what The Act of Killing would be like, I think it would take a lot of convincing to get Jared to watch it. Nonetheless, I do really want to experiment with documentaries and other genres/eras of film that we've otherwise ignored.

Is there a reason he is averse to The Act of Killing? Is it just too difficult (emotionally painful would probably be more accurate), or does he just not enjoy documentaries?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Chichevache posted:

Is there a reason he is averse to The Act of Killing? Is it just too difficult (emotionally painful would probably be more accurate), or does he just not enjoy documentaries?

I honestly haven't brought it up, and he does rather enjoy documentaries - I just know that he's often reticent to do movies you could really describe as "bummers," and The Act of Killing is definitely a bummer. I definitely want to work in a documentary in the next slate of episodes, now that you mention it, and I'll bring up Act of Killing as a suggestion. If it comes in the form of a mailbag (wink wink, somebody), it might make it more likely.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Hewlett posted:

I honestly haven't brought it up, and he does rather enjoy documentaries - I just know that he's often reticent to do movies you could really describe as "bummers," and The Act of Killing is definitely a bummer. I definitely want to work in a documentary in the next slate of episodes, now that you mention it, and I'll bring up Act of Killing as a suggestion. If it comes in the form of a mailbag (wink wink, somebody), it might make it more likely.

My only concern about the Act of Killing would be that it would scare away more timid listeners, as I'm sure a lot of people would see it as you making light of a serious situation. Maybe Blackfish is the better choice.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Chichevache posted:

My only concern about the Act of Killing would be that it would scare away more timid listeners, as I'm sure a lot of people would see it as you making light of a serious situation. Maybe Blackfish is the better choice.

Yeah, hence the bummer thing - I really don't want us to seem like we're joking and having a good time over these incredible atrocities, especially in a documentary about people who are doing exactly that about their own atrocities. Blackfish might be a decent one to try, even stuff like Hoop Dreams or Helvetica (which is a personal fave of Jared's) as well. I don't think we're averse to doing 'issue' docs, but we need to be careful about what ones we do.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Heckler! Do Heckler! It's a documentary, but it's also fun to mock because Jamie Kennedy.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

You could do a really weird documentary like "Best Worst Movie", "The Rock-Afire Explosion", or "The Natural History of the Chicken".

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Rahonavis posted:

You could do a really weird documentary like "Best Worst Movie", "The Rock-Afire Explosion", or "The Natural History of the Chicken".

These are all really good ideas, I'll definitely bring them up to Jared when we record Mean Girls next week.

OSCAR UPDATE: Now that the nominations are out, Jared and I will spend a couple minutes in our next episode going over our Oscar pool/predictions. Also, I can confirm that our Oscar episode this year will cover Gravity.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Hewlett posted:

These are all really good ideas, I'll definitely bring them up to Jared when we record Mean Girls next week.

OSCAR UPDATE: Now that the nominations are out, Jared and I will spend a couple minutes in our next episode going over our Oscar pool/predictions. Also, I can confirm that our Oscar episode this year will cover Gravity.

Gravity is best scene in theaters, it may not be the best choice for your show.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Definitely do a more light hearted documentary if you do a documentary. Something like Heckler or Darkon.

e: Are there any light hearted documentaries about alcoholism?

TTBF fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 17, 2014

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Chichevache posted:

Gravity is best scene in theaters, it may not be the best choice for your show.

I've seen it in IMAX 3D, while Jared hasn't seen it at all; I think comparing the film to a regular 2D experience (which is where people would theoretically see it for drinking games/in any other context after its theatrical release) would be a valuable discussion.

TTBF: Maybe Somm?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Hewlett posted:

I've seen it in IMAX 3D, while Jared hasn't seen it at all; I think comparing the film to a regular 2D experience (which is where people would theoretically see it for drinking games/in any other context after its theatrical release) would be a valuable discussion.

TTBF: Maybe Somm?

Gravity is coming back to IMAX 3D on January 21st in some locations

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
The King of Kong would probably lend itself well to a drinking game.

e: It's a doc about games, of course it would!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

GonSmithe posted:

Gravity is coming back to IMAX 3D on January 21st in some locations

Oh HELL yeah. I never got to see it in IMAX and I'd love to.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

:siren: NEW EPISODE! :siren:

We're back after a week's break (to let me get my show open) to cover Mean Girls! Did we finally break the streak of Jared categorically disliking high school movies? No, but I'll give plenty of points for honesty and fairness in his opinion, as you'll hear in the 'cast. All the same, he came up with a hell of a quiz, and the discussion is actually quite good. And if you've ever wanted to hear my Paul Lynde impression, now's the time!

Next week.....Ichi the Killer!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Hewlett posted:

We're back after a week's break (to let me get my show open) to cover Mean Girls! Did we finally break the streak of Jared categorically disliking high school movies? No, but I'll give plenty of points for honesty and fairness in his opinion, as you'll hear in the 'cast. All the same, he came up with a hell of a quiz, and the discussion is actually quite good. And if you've ever wanted to hear my Paul Lynde impression, now's the time!

Next week.....Ichi the Killer!

bout mofuckin time. Please tell me the drink is creamy.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

I agree that Mean Girls hasn't aged as well as it could since it launched a small fad of imitators, though most of them were worse than it. Easy A is definitely the best of them and that's not entirely due to Stanley Tucci. My wife used to hate this movie for how it presented homeschoolers as socially isolated, naive blank slates, but she eventually grew to appreciate it. Now that you've done an 80s high school movie and a 00s one I'll suggest Clueless, probably the smartest written high school comedy there is.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

General Ironicus posted:

I agree that Mean Girls hasn't aged as well as it could since it launched a small fad of imitators, though most of them were worse than it. Easy A is definitely the best of them and that's not entirely due to Stanley Tucci. My wife used to hate this movie for how it presented homeschoolers as socially isolated, naive blank slates, but she eventually grew to appreciate it. Now that you've done an 80s high school movie and a 00s one I'll suggest Clueless, probably the smartest written high school comedy there is.

Clueless is certainly great. I do desperately want to find that high school movie Holy Grail that Jared will like. I'm positive that it's Brick, but I just need to get Jared to watch it.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 24, 2014

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Hewlett posted:

Clueless is certainly great. I do desperately want to find that high school movie Holy Grail that Jared will like. I'm positive that it's Brick, but I just need to get Jared to watch it.

Bill & Ted

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Heathers is a pretty great one.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

bobkatt013 posted:

Heathers is a pretty great one.

Yeah I'm gonna go with "It's Heathers". Make him watch Heathers.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Hewlett posted:

I'm not sure if I'd consider Brick to be a high school film the way Clueless, Breakfast Club, and Mean Girls are. Brick is more of a noir/detective film that just happens to be set in a high school. That said, if Jared hates it I'm going to assume he is just being contrary and dismissive for the sake of being contrary and dismissive.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Listen to us attempt to pronounce Chichevache's username as we take a look at Ichi the Killer! Our Clue guest Theo returns as we try to make sense of this crazy, crazy movie, but we definitely get a great discussion in - the film works incredibly as a subject for discussion as compared to the actual viewing experience. I'm also really proud of the quiz; in case people haven't figured out yet, We've been taking our drink pictures and videos of the victory/punishment shot-taking to Instagram!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Tried listening but as soon as you talk smack about Phoenix Wright I gotta check out.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

General Ironicus posted:

Tried listening but as soon as you talk smack about Phoenix Wright I gotta check out.

Did we talk smack? I'd barely heard of it.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Hewlett posted:

Did we talk smack? I'd barely heard of it.

You're dead to me. DEAD I SAY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

General Ironicus posted:

You're dead to me. DEAD I SAY!

Fine, find someone else to moderate your panel!

I take it back pleaseplease let me do it

• Locked thread