Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I was looking at a PS4 Games list on wikipedia and I noticed that Resident Evil 7 was there, announced/confirmed at some ancient point.

The description for it was "Capcom has announced that it will return to the game's horror roots."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Lunethex posted:

The description for it was "Capcom has announced that it will return to the game's horror roots."

Resident Evil 4 - 6 has started out as "returning to its horror roots," and then the end product is something completely different.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

therealjon_ posted:

Resident Evil 4 - 6 has started out as "returning to its horror roots," and then the end product is something completely different.

It can only mean great things :D

(More hidden melees like the Ustanak Suplex, Capcom!)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

One of these days Billy will return from the forest and Capcom will confirm if Rebecca got out of Raccoon before it became ground zero :(

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
In all seriousness, RE: Outbreak HD on XBL, PSN, and Steam would be one of the smartest things that Capcom could possibly do, right now.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jeedy Jay posted:

In all seriousness, RE: Outbreak HD on XBL, PSN, and Steam would be one of the smartest things that Capcom could possibly do, right now.

If they wanna keep throwing money into a fire, sure.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jeedy Jay posted:

"It's like Left 4 Dead but really really slow and no voice chat!"

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
I'm just finishing the last campaign in RE 6, Ada's. I think I've figured why I dislike the experience I'm having with the game. The one thing that has been pissing me off infinitely, is that they have replaced difficulty with Trial and Error gameplay. Missed a .5 second QTE? Die. Camera angles tricked into running the wrong way and the stage killed you? Idiot. You shot an RPG rocket which explodes and should take out both zombies aiming at you but instead you needed to shoot an almost invisible explosive barrel? Die. The game is basically designed so that you have to go through most sequences at least once so you know what is coming. Thats not difficulty, that is rote memorization. This is retarded and completely detracts from the fun aspect of the game. All I want is shoot zombies, fight a tough boss or two, see the cheesy B-movie plot and fanservice and thats it. I don't want to play Call of Duty/Dance Dance Revolution/Driver in Resident Evil. Also, I hate the skill system. I would have preferred a few abilities that each character would have that are unique to that character so you need to play to a character's strengths. Like Chris is a tank. He should ignore knockback and have strong melee attacks. Leon instead should be able to dual wield most guns and has faster melee but lighter attacks. Sherry has little health but she regenerates if you give her enough time. Jake has wrought iron testicles which he can use to block gunfire. The combat is decent enough, although the controls could be a little tighter. Once you buy Field Medic Lv 2, you are basically set.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think it is kind of funny that they spent all that money on a pretty avg to below avg game. You can tell where all that money went too because the cgi in the cutscenes is really nice looking. But holy poo poo, everything having to do with Ada and Simmons is bad.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TerryLennox posted:

I'm just finishing the last campaign in RE 6, Ada's. I think I've figured why I dislike the experience I'm having with the game. The one thing that has been pissing me off infinitely, is that they have replaced difficulty with Trial and Error gameplay. Missed a .5 second QTE? Die. Camera angles tricked into running the wrong way and the stage killed you? Idiot. You shot an RPG rocket which explodes and should take out both zombies aiming at you but instead you needed to shoot an almost invisible explosive barrel? Die. The game is basically designed so that you have to go through most sequences at least once so you know what is coming. Thats not difficulty, that is rote memorization. This is retarded and completely detracts from the fun aspect of the game. All I want is shoot zombies, fight a tough boss or two, see the cheesy B-movie plot and fanservice and thats it. I don't want to play Call of Duty/Dance Dance Revolution/Driver in Resident Evil. Also, I hate the skill system. I would have preferred a few abilities that each character would have that are unique to that character so you need to play to a character's strengths. Like Chris is a tank. He should ignore knockback and have strong melee attacks. Leon instead should be able to dual wield most guns and has faster melee but lighter attacks. Sherry has little health but she regenerates if you give her enough time. Jake has wrought iron testicles which he can use to block gunfire. The combat is decent enough, although the controls could be a little tighter. Once you buy Field Medic Lv 2, you are basically set.

Seriously? I'm poo poo at video games and I've been playing it on veteran (or whatever the level above normal and before stupid hard is) with a buddy of mine and it's been a pretty standard difficulty level for us. Maybe co-op isn't scaled, but there haven't been many big surprises. Sometimes the QTE or die stuff is a problem, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was in RE5, and we only failed one driving segment a couple times at the end of Chris' campaign. Is Ada's that much worse, or have you been having these troubles the whole way through?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Ada's campaign has a couple of quick hooks that can trip you up and immediately kill you (QTEs and situations where you need to move fast or die). Her crossbow is bad beyond pipe bombs and quickshots and her Box 10 is pretty bad as well. That's not to say one can't run into these kind of things (or at least feel like they are) in the other three but, compared to the rest of the game, Ada's campaign blows an rear end.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Raziel 0128 posted:

Darkside Chronicles did an admirable job of actually making Steve Burnside a likable character and Alfred Ashford more of a threat you can take seriously. It did a great job of turning around the otherwise mediocre Code Veronica story. Incidentally after having replayed the HD version it's amazing what some lighting and less indoor fog can do for a game that previously lacked any atmosphere. Code Veronica somehow manages to have draw distance fog in that small pointless submarine and make a blizzard appear completely grey. The only downside to the HD version was the new dark lighting made it quite hard to see the herbs hidden in corners for me at least.

I will however be forever disappointed that Claire Redfield does not reappear in RE6 to wrap up the Sherry storyline. Here's what Leon did during ClaireA/LeonB:
  • Let a small girl outrun him in a narrow corridor then pointed Claire in the wrong direction
  • Got shot chasing after a woman who doesn't need protection
  • Was responsible for the self-destruct sequence, whilst Claire was trying to make a vaccine an antiviral.
  • Carried Sherry's body down to the train then didn't even so much as radio to confirm he had and tried to take off with a good 2-3 minutes to spare whilst Claire rode the world's slowest elevator.
  • Told Claire to piss off sometime after they escaped then immediately handed over the kid he had nothing to do with to the government.

Just think of an alt-costume Sherry could have had.

I've stayed out of this conversation because I've had very little to add, but this post caught my attention because it addresses the weakest of the early games.

I remember REC:V being one of the biggest disappointments of my gaming life. The game started off with a ton going for it but slowly devolved into a boring mess, and yet everyone acted like it was the greatest game ever. I thought that the game had the opportunity, early on, to take the series in a new direction and grow the universe and branch out from. When the relationship between the twins crept into the story line I thought it was going to be revealed that she died tragically, spurring an effort to create a compound that could reanimate dead tissue. But no, they stuck with the tired story line, everything was done to create the perfect biological weapon. As the game unfolded they did very little to develop any kind of atmosphere, and other than two bosses, nothing ever really made me hesitate. Ammo and herbs were plentiful, even to the point that they gave you unlimited blue herbs to counter balance constantly respawning moths. Hunters were there, but they were pathetic next to the badasses from the original game. Even the title of the game, "Code: Veronica", I mean :wtc:????? RE3: Nemesis makes sense for a title, Nemesis is a major character whom follows you and is the final boss. Why would you name a game after a loving passcode? Seriously, you could not read ANYTHING in ANY of the journals you collect throughout the game, and still you could complete the self destruct sequence because the activation code is right there in the title of the game. This isn't an issue of being unoriginal, it's straight up lazy. Did no one in the office say "Hey, we can think of a better title. RE4 would make a lot more sense than REC:V." All of this makes me think, to this very day, that at some late point in development Capcom emotionally bailed on the project. Maybe it was because they lost faith in the Dreamcast, or maybe it was because they realized they had a weak product on their hands and wanted to move on from it. Either way, the first three games felt like they had a lot more attention paid to them, where as REC:V was pretty and shallow, it lacked any real defining moment and even the Wesker reveal was lame.

I feel like Capcom passively acknowledged that they hosed up with REC:V later when they released RE4. First of all, it was called RE4, when it should have been RE5. Secondly it made a big deal of establishing its timeline in relation to the destruction of Raccoon City, which was featured in RE2 and 3. If I remember correctly there was little, if any, mention of the events of REC:V, instead Capcom instilled a sense that RE4 was the true sequel to RE2 and 3 and that nothing else had happened in the universe. Most importantly it totally revamped the gameplay and story. Gone was the traditional gameplay that had begun to feel so stale in REC:V, now you could "run and gun" and buy new weapons from a mysterious arms dealer. There was a new virus in town, and it wasn't even a virus anymore. After playing RE4 I checked out of the series, by the time 5 came out I had graduated from college and had better things to do with my time. But Code Veronica has always been one of my favorite games to hate on, just because it has been so easily glossed over and was the catalyst for rebooting the franchise.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

"It's like Left 4 Dead but really really slow and no voice chat!"

Seriously the shittiest design move in the history of ever. I don't care that the gameplay was dated, compared to Resident Evil 4, that ruined the entire loving thing

(Seriously, though, it's way different from L4D, what with an emphasis on puzzles and ammo conservation and poo poo, but you're not going to like it if you didn't like the original Resident Evils. I don't think anyone but angry 90s gamers misses pre-set camera angles and tank controls, though.)

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

SpitztheGreat posted:

even the Wesker reveal was lame.

You have a lot of good points, but I feel like I gotta argue with you on this. The Wesker reveal is great because it is total loving nonsense.

I think I've mentioned it before, but the thing I love most about Resident Evil is how completely ludicrous it all is, and Wesker is the King of Crazy poo poo Mountain (or he was until Ada had a boss fight against an air craft carrier). The Code Veronica X version kinda messed it up, since he shows up too early and then fucks off for several hours, but his return in the original version is honestly pretty great.

Wesker has been super dead for two games at this point, and only mentioned in passing if you poke around the STARS office. There is no foreshadowing to his return, no references to a shadowy figure haunting Chris, no ominous shots of sunglasses, because he was just supposed to be dead. Then you get to Chris's section of CV, and you're kinda wandering around, left to wonder why you left Claire's story. All the motivations, the mysteries, the one remaining antagonist, and really the whole plot is down in Antarctica, so what's left for Chris to do? There's some ominous dude unleashing Hunters, but that kinda pales in comparison to Alexia, who is pretty much just a straight up wizard.

Then you get to the Tyrant freezing room (???), and BOOM. Wesker is back, he's alive, and he's Neo from the Matrix. Why? Because viruses or some poo poo. The one-two punch of "I'm alive!" and "Getting eviscerated and blown up was all part of my MASTER PLAN!" is so loving insane that, if only for a few seconds, all that backtracking and key-fetching is completely worth it. Then, just as you've finished muttering "Are you loving kidding me?!", a monitor turns on and it's an image of Alexia laughing. Now, remember that Alexia is not only on an entirely different continent, but also has no reason to believe anyone on Rockfort Island is still alive. She's broadcasting a feed of herself laughing to a burnout island prison for absolutely no reason.

Wesker sees this inexplicable display, suddenly remembers he has an actual mission beyond just loving with Chris, and then runs away. We learn in the Veronica X version that Alexia's crazy mug on a lovely 10-inch TV screen is enough to tell Wesker exactly where in Antartica she is, so he can go to his EVIL SUBMARINE and chase her down. Wesker is basically full-on super-villain at this point (he straps bombs to his henchmen, then zombifies them, because of course he does).

In one scene, Code: Veronica perfectly encapsulates everything that's great about Resident Evil's writing. Magic viruses, completely nonsensical evil plans, full-on hammy as gently caress acting, and the hero reacts to all of it as though it is completely normal.

The one thing I do like about Wesker's earlier intro in the C:VX version is that he beats the poo poo out of Claire because her brother foiled his plans like two years ago. But then he tells Chris that his plan worked perfectly, so really Wesker just brutalized a skinny 19-year-old girl for no reason. He's not just a megolomaniacal accent-switching super-villain with possible ADD, he's also a total loving prick.

Dammit, now I wanna play RE5 again, because I cannot get enough of Albert Wesker being a ridiculous dick.

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 17, 2014

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Crowetron posted:

Dammit, now I wanna play RE5 again, because I cannot get enough of Albert Wesker being a ridiculous dick.

It was in your best interest to assist me :smug:

(Seriously, his general play lines are incredibly well-delivered and it's impossible to hate him).

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Barudak posted:

Dino Crisis 2 is a masterpiece

Yeah, pretty much. It's by far the best Resident Evil/Dino Crisis game yet.

Aces High posted:

One of these days Billy will return from the forest and Capcom will confirm if Rebecca got out of Raccoon before it became ground zero :(

They did confirm that, I'm pretty sure. I'm positive it's said at some point that Rebecca is still alive and kicking and Billy's still on the lam. Billy had to go back to the planet limbo because his people needed him, but Rebecca, Barry, Jill and Chris are the only surviving S.T.A.R.S. members as of Resident Evil 5.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 17, 2014

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah, pretty much. It's by far the best Resident Evil/Dino Crisis game yet.

The plot was terrible, even by Resident Evil/Dino Crisis standards, but if there's ever somebody crazy enough to do a revival of fixed cameras/"tank control" action survival horrors, I wish they will just copy and paste Dino Crisis 2 controls. Maybe with reloadings and a RE4 like upgrade system for guns. And Melee.

Basically RE3 with an even more OTT plot, a bigger Raccoon City, improved controls and like 5 different Nemesis so you can combo them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I just want Hunk to come back in a story capacity. He's been teased in games like RE3 and CV, he's been a character in Mercenaries modes for 4 and Revelations (don't remember if he was in 5). But he hasn't really been back in the story. I know he wasn't a plot critical character, but I would like to see him back. I don't count ORC because that's just a retelling of his initial appearance (also I didn't really like that game).

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I just wish they'd admit that Resident Evil is no longer horror, or even zombies, and it's just a really silly and terrible superhero drama. Just infect everyone with the letter of the week already and let them fly around and shoot lasers until it looks like a slightly more wet and gritty Marvel movie.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
See, the thing I don't get is that Resident Evil has always been an action-horror game, going all the way back to the beginning; the subdued atmosphere the mansion is one thing, but as the games became more popular and their budgets increased, so too did the number of explosions and the random property damage. It's a bit like the original Romero Dead movies, where the first film was made for six bucks in somebody's uncle's house and things got more elaborate with each ensuing film.

It's similar to how people will say with a straight face that they prefer the controls in RE4 over the original games when nothing actually changed except the camera perspective. Leon in RE4 still moves like a tank, but it makes more intuitive sense to some people now because the camera pivots with him.

I'd also like to echo the admiration for Dino Crisis 2, although the game ends on a really massive time-travel paradox and that's been driving me nuts for years. Then Dino Crisis 3 had nothing to do with it and that was that.

Both Dino Crisis games had simple plots but were generally pretty straightforward. I replayed the original a few years ago and was surprised by the writing; it's not stellar, but it's up to "competent B-movie" level and that's really all I wanted.

JackMackerel posted:

Seriously the shittiest design move in the history of ever. I don't care that the gameplay was dated, compared to Resident Evil 4, that ruined the entire loving thing

(Seriously, though, it's way different from L4D, what with an emphasis on puzzles and ammo conservation and poo poo, but you're not going to like it if you didn't like the original Resident Evils. I don't think anyone but angry 90s gamers misses pre-set camera angles and tank controls, though.)

There are two things that people need to realize about Outbreak before they evaluate it:
1) It came out on the PlayStation 2 before playing a console online was really a Thing, and in that period where Japanese developers in general really wanted nothing to do with it. Both Outbreaks had this hosed-up lobby that looked like it was coded in five minutes by an intern with a death wish, and the original game in particular crashed about half the time while you were finding a match. I'm not sure that system could've supported voice chat even if Capcom hadn't decided against it.

(Although it was a dumb move. "The Hive" in the first Outbreak was deliberately designed to split up and kill the party because you couldn't just say to your team "we're going to the fourth floor." Every elevator ride was a roulette wheel.)

2) It's very deliberately aimed at hardcore fans of the original formula. Everyone I've known who was seriously into the Outbreak games was also the kind of person who would go through RE3 and knife-fight Nemesis. It's not that bad on the easier difficulties, but I was pretty into File #2 for a long time and you'd see a lot of guys playing David because his knife wouldn't break and shivving the gently caress out of Tyrants, or playing Yoko because they'd mastered her goofy little backwards escape and could exploit its invulnerability window like a champ.

Capcom could do a lot worse than to polish the game up and release it via XBLA/PSN with voice chat, updated graphics, and modern match-finding. It wouldn't be worth a full retail release, though.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Adding insult to injury is that it came out after SOCOM proved you could have voice commands and a headset on the PS2. But, yeah - I got into RE via Gun Survivor, Dead Aim, and snatches of RE3. (Dino Crisis 2, possibly. I loving loved Dino Crisis 2. That was how you did survival-action, even if the tank controls and camera angles are horrendously dated as poo poo. And that explanation for the modern city and actual time period drove me nuts.) Every review out at the time bashed on it for not being modern, like RE4.

Speaking of RE4, I thought it was dead boring on the PS2, but years later, on the Wii, I had a blast with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm actually replaying Dino Crisis 2 on my Vita now because of this. It's still awesome.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wanderer posted:

See, the thing I don't get is that Resident Evil has always been an action-horror game, going all the way back to the beginning; the subdued atmosphere the mansion is one thing, but as the games became more popular and their budgets increased, so too did the number of explosions and the random property damage. It's a bit like the original Romero Dead movies, where the first film was made for six bucks in somebody's uncle's house and things got more elaborate with each ensuing film.

It's similar to how people will say with a straight face that they prefer the controls in RE4 over the original games when nothing actually changed except the camera perspective. Leon in RE4 still moves like a tank, but it makes more intuitive sense to some people now because the camera pivots with him.

I'd also like to echo the admiration for Dino Crisis 2, although the game ends on a really massive time-travel paradox and that's been driving me nuts for years. Then Dino Crisis 3 had nothing to do with it and that was that.

Both Dino Crisis games had simple plots but were generally pretty straightforward. I replayed the original a few years ago and was surprised by the writing; it's not stellar, but it's up to "competent B-movie" level and that's really all I wanted.

There are two things that people need to realize about Outbreak before they evaluate it:
1) It came out on the PlayStation 2 before playing a console online was really a Thing, and in that period where Japanese developers in general really wanted nothing to do with it. Both Outbreaks had this hosed-up lobby that looked like it was coded in five minutes by an intern with a death wish, and the original game in particular crashed about half the time while you were finding a match. I'm not sure that system could've supported voice chat even if Capcom hadn't decided against it.

(Although it was a dumb move. "The Hive" in the first Outbreak was deliberately designed to split up and kill the party because you couldn't just say to your team "we're going to the fourth floor." Every elevator ride was a roulette wheel.)

2) It's very deliberately aimed at hardcore fans of the original formula. Everyone I've known who was seriously into the Outbreak games was also the kind of person who would go through RE3 and knife-fight Nemesis. It's not that bad on the easier difficulties, but I was pretty into File #2 for a long time and you'd see a lot of guys playing David because his knife wouldn't break and shivving the gently caress out of Tyrants, or playing Yoko because they'd mastered her goofy little backwards escape and could exploit its invulnerability window like a champ.

Capcom could do a lot worse than to polish the game up and release it via XBLA/PSN with voice chat, updated graphics, and modern match-finding. It wouldn't be worth a full retail release, though.

The third Gun Survivor game called Dino Stalker was more of a direct sequel to Dino Crisis 2 than 3 was if I remember right.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Dan Didio posted:

They did confirm that, I'm pretty sure. I'm positive it's said at some point that Rebecca is still alive and kicking and Billy's still on the lam. Billy had to go back to the planet limbo because his people needed him, but Rebecca, Barry, Jill and Chris are the only surviving S.T.A.R.S. members as of Resident Evil 5.

Really? Man I used to know everything about Resident Evil so this slipping under my radar, drat. Well in any case considering that they brought Sherry back for RE6 I sit here thinking they need to have a S.T.A.R.S. reunion or something. We know Jill and Chris went to the BSAA and Barry went to Canada but maybe it's just wishful thinking.

After The Last of Us we know that grizzled men in their 50s are amazingly competent killers so it's time to bring back Barry

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Aces High posted:

Really? Man I used to know everything about Resident Evil so this slipping under my radar, drat. Well in any case considering that they brought Sherry back for RE6 I sit here thinking they need to have a S.T.A.R.S. reunion or something. We know Jill and Chris went to the BSAA and Barry went to Canada but maybe it's just wishful thinking.

After The Last of Us we know that grizzled men in their 50s are amazingly competent killers so it's time to bring back Barry
Barry's with the BSAA as well. We were going to have him be Chris' partner for RE5 before all the controversy regarding the game being set in NotAfrica hit the fan and resulted in Sheva.

I almost want the next to be set in the 2030s or 2040s. Mostly so we can have a 70-80 something Barry kicking rear end.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Lotish posted:

I just want Hunk to come back in a story capacity. He's been teased in games like RE3 and CV, he's been a character in Mercenaries modes for 4 and Revelations (don't remember if he was in 5). But he hasn't really been back in the story. I know he wasn't a plot critical character, but I would like to see him back. I don't count ORC because that's just a retelling of his initial appearance (also I didn't really like that game).

There's not much point anymore. Hunk was presented as more of the silent hardcore badass to all of the other somewhat fragile but well armed characters in Resident Evil 1 and 2.

Since then, and especially in the recent games, the gameplay has changed to the point where all of the characters are now Hunk. poo poo, in RE6, half the time going hand to hand with enemies is the best way to deal with them and you've got characters diving about like in a John Woo wet dream.

The only way Hunk would work now is if they turned him into a silent, no cheese, non-virus, Wesker who never loses in any situation and that would basically mean you playing a 2 hour QTE.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Yeah, Hunk's whole deal was being super lucky. Despite what Operation Raccoon City liked to think, he wasn't any more bad-rear end or capable than any other Umbrella dork, he was just the only one with the good sense to gently caress like hell when poo poo goes bad (which is always). Plus, he's literally a faceless mook, so there's no way he could carry a whole game without completely changing what makes him so appealing. I like seeing him pop up in Mercenaries, though.

I kinda want Nikolai to come back in some villainous capacity, but that's largely because I dig his preferred tactic of blowing up everything around him at all times.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Crowetron posted:

I kinda want Nikolai to come back in some villainous capacity, but that's largely because I dig his preferred tactic of blowing up everything around him at all times.

Only if Jake suplexes him off a cliff.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Lunethex posted:

Only if Jake suplexes him off a cliff.

I would not oppose this.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I just want another game focused around the Wolfpack. I like being a faceless goon for Umbrella, being in it only for the money. :saddowns:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Do I still need to beat the game to unlock everything in mercs? Or just the mercs maps? Don't know what the hell happened to my file, guess I didn't upload it to the cloud. :confused:

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Crowetron posted:

Let me tell you why the Wesker reveal is awesome...

That's a really interesting view of Wesker from REC:V. I'll admit that when you phrase it like that even I can believe that it was good. Unfortunately, I think this is a situation of "agree to disagree." I agree with just about everything you said, but I can't get behind the concept that it was all intentionally done. RE, especially in those days, did not strike me as being all that self aware that it could take the story to such an extreme in order for the humor factor. And even if they did, they failed to deliver a product that was entertaining.

It's deceivingly difficult, in my opinion, to intentionally create a narrative that is both self aware, reasonably cheesy, and still compelling. There is a reason that most "spoof" movies fail to deliver an enjoyable experience. The writers have to push the envelope just enough that things reach a level of ridiculousness, while also giving a wink to the audience that everything is being done to intentionally invoke a laugh, without breaking the fourth wall too completely or overtly. When the game came out I must have been around 15 years old, and any attempt at humor was completely lost on me. Perhaps I was wrong, but to me the game was playing itself very straight with little attempt to convey a sense of "Hey, this is crazy and silly to the point of being comedic." Maybe the effect is more pronounced if you're playing the game with some friends and everyone is picking the plot apart, but that certainly was not what I was doing. Instead, I was left wondering what the gently caress was going on.

Again, I think this all can be traced back to Capcom emotionally bailing on the product. The game didn't seem to have a solid foundation, they never really seemed to know what they wanted it to be. Did they want it to be a true sequel? Was it a game that was suppose to follow in the same vein as the dark events in RE2? Or was it a more lighthearted commentary on the zombie/survival horror genre? Was it even survivor horror anymore? I don't ask these questions rhetorically, I think they were important questions that should have been asked back then.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that REC:V's problems can be pinned on the developers getting tired of the franchise they created. You can almost feel them just kinda throw in the towel and stop caring about fine tuning the game. It had great graphics, but the game itself was a mess and they didn't have the energy to really fix it. The story is incomprehensible, the gameplay monotonous (though the mini game you unlock was fun), and the final act is completely forgettable. It all adds up to create a really clear picture about why Capcom so radically transformed the franchise for RE4. If they had continued down the path of REC:V I don't think the franchise would have done well. I feel like REC:V ate up the good will that the first three games had created, no one can argue that gaming journalism has very high standards, so REC:V just had to be a 9/10. But if RE4 had followed the same formula I believe it would have been slammed as latent frustrations over the short comings of REC:V.

Edit- For a good example of cheesey, over the top goodness, look at the gif of the body-slam to the boss posted earlier. That's comical, awesome, and entertaining and illustrates everything that was missing from REC:V if that was the road they wanted to go down.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Oh, I'm not saying Code: Veronica is anywhere near self-aware. You can make arguements for RE4 and beyond, but the old school games are very sincere and genuinely trying to be serious, scary thrillers. My argument is that it's goofy and entertaining because of the writers are insane morons.

I think the issue here is that we agree on C:V's flaws, but where you find them frustrating, I think they're really, really funny.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Crowetron posted:

Oh, I'm not saying Code: Veronica is anywhere near self-aware. You can make arguements for RE4 and beyond, but the old school games are very sincere and genuinely trying to be serious, scary thrillers. My argument is that it's goofy and entertaining because of the writers are insane morons.

I think the issue here is that we agree on C:V's flaws, but where you find them frustrating, I think they're really, really funny.

Insane morons is an accurate description. Just finished the last campaign, the Ada Wong campaign. It goes relatively well until you reach the carrier and meet your doppleganger. The dialogue is The Expendables-level retarded. If they just made a villain whose goal isn't destroying every for the evulz, it would go a long way towards improving the overall quality of the story.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Oh my god, if only this happened normally in RE6.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

A resident evil game where you could have larger scaled games like this using actual players... :homebrew: Take my money Capcom.

Unless of course they screw it up like they did farming out O:RC. I was expecting fun stuff like this video with murderous umbrella mercenary buddies. Instead I got a utterly hosed single player, and some lovely versus modes.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

limited posted:

A resident evil game where you could have larger scaled games like this using actual players... :homebrew: Take my money Capcom.

Unless of course they screw it up like they did farming out O:RC. I was expecting fun stuff like this video with murderous umbrella mercenary buddies. Instead I got a utterly hosed single player, and some lovely versus modes.

Personally this moment will never get old for me.

:cool: Let me clarify something for you, Chris, YOU BITCH. THE HUMAN RACE REQUIRES JUDGMENT!!!

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 20, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

poptart_fairy posted:

I just want another game focused around the Wolfpack. I like being a faceless goon for Umbrella, being in it only for the money. :saddowns:

Yeah, I kind of like being a faceless goon too. Don't know what it is--call it the Master Chief effect--but it's easier for me to put myself in the shoes of someone whose face I can't see.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Crowetron posted:

I'm just glad to see that there are others out there that think the game is crap too. For the longest time I felt that I was the crazy one because everyone else acted like the game was flawless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

SpitztheGreat posted:

I'm just glad to see that there are others out there that think the game is crap too. For the longest time I felt that I was the crazy one because everyone else acted like the game was flawless.

It was on the Dreamcast first. That should explain why.