Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that they actually bothered to give Eggman a party presence, instead of just making him stick around as a guest character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
When last we left our heroes...

Update 5: Define "Completely" -or- Dr. Eggman's Carpet-Bombing Extravaganza.

: Likely story, Eggman!
: Not so fast, Amy. He might be telling the truth.

: I have been tracking the Marauders for some time, ever since they tripped a sensor in one of my old hideouts.
: So desperate are they that they use my old, cast-off bases as headquarters! They've even programmed my obsolete-model robots to do their bidding!
: The sheer nerve of it all! The least they could do was ask!
: Ha! But I have the last laugh! So durable is my machinery that I was able to watch them as they worked.

Comedy alternate option posted:

: Why not? These Marauders have the Chaos Emeralds. They're as much a threat to me as they are to you!
: I know how much trouble you'd be in if I had them right now. Oh, the glorious carnage I could cause! Ha ha ha ha ha!

Tip #1 for explaining how you've changed your ways: Don't say how you'd still take over the world if you had the power. Way to make yourself look reformed, Eggman.

: Ahem.
: The robots we've seen so far have been old models, Sonic. Eggman's too proud to rely on old machines. The Marauders must be using Eggman's old robots to fool us into going after Eggman instead!
: Hm. There's something to that. My captors were way too skilled and capable to be Eggman's minions.

Well thanks for that insight Knuckles, since you were the one that was so adamant that Eggman just had to be the culprit.

: Well. And here I thought you might have found patience on your little sabbatical. I have charted the flight path of your Angel Island. And with equipment no more advanced than a rusty garbage can lid. According to my projections, Angel Island is being pulled to Metropolis, where the Marauders are based!
: The Marauders must have polarized the Emeralds to attract the Master Emerald, essentially towing Angel Island right to them!

: Simple! They don't have the numbers to take on the GUN soldiers stationed in Mystic Ruins....
: So they decided to bring the island to Metropolis!

: But Metropolis is almost impossible to get into, even when it isn't completely ruined!

NO GOOD GUY BAD GUY TEAM UPS

: We might not have a choice! If anyone can get us into Metropolis, it's him!
: I hate the idea, too, but I think Eggman's right.
: It's about time Eggman helped out. Let's just keep an eye on him.
: Listen to them, my blue friend. You need me.

These three are actually the same three dialogue choices as last time, the thumbs down one is just interesting. But hey, how did Eggman survive that helicarrier crash in the beginning?

: Oh, a glorious tale! Ha ha ha!
: I almost didn't make it out! But in my incalculable brilliance, I had anticipated my own defeat!
: I managed to call a life-support robot, which I had designed just for this purpose, to my side.
: The robot rescued me from the wreckage, dragged me to safety, and nursed me back to health.
: That sounds awfully convenient.

Thank you Rouge, for saying what everybody's thinking.

: Since then, I have worked to cobble these defenses and machines from mere scraps, unworthy of my genius.

Okay, that's enough backstory

: Metropolis was my most heavily fortified fortress! Laser turrets! Deadly robots! Acid traps! Oh, it was beautiful!
: Most of that was destroyed after our last battle. But the Marauders have been rebuilding.

: We must travel to the Blue Ridge Zone and work our way to the edge of Metropolis. From there, I can get you into the city, and you can bring down the Marauders from inside.
: One problem: The Tornado isn't quite ready yet. I don't think she'll fly us all the way to Blue Ridge!
: Then we shall work together. With my help, your little airplane will be able to reach the ends of the world!

Will it also be able to seat 8 passengers, one of whom is Big the Cat? Because it's a biplane, Doc, and it's getting cramped, and you're no lightweight yourself.

: The Tornado should be ready by the time you're ready to go, Sonic. Just go outside and activate the Tornado when you're ready!

Pictured: The face of heroism

So at this point the game warps you back to Tails' Workshop. Also, judging by Knuckles' last comment, it seems like that whole conversation was supposed to be taking place inside the workshop? But the background was still Green Hill? I don't know man. Anyway, we have the traditional "talk to friends" session before starting a new chapter to run through so let's start with Amy. Amy is incredibly boring, there's no option to be mean to her or be nice.

: Right, and I guess he's better with us than against us. We should get going. We have a lot to do.

The thumbs up is "Well maybe he has changed" and the thumbs down is "I still don't trust him". Boring as hell because Amy just pretty much brushes off everything to get to that "We have a lot to do" line. Anyway, Tails, what do you have going on?

: I think so. I don't trust him very much, but I have to admit, he's a brilliant scientist!
: We better get to work. Just head out and activate the Tornado when you're ready to go!

Okay, on that note, let's roll! We leave the workshop and hit the character select screen.

By popular decision, our team this chapter will consist of Big, Cream, and new actual playable team member Eggman.

Speaking of whom...

We hook Eggman up with Bombardment for now, since while we will be running into robots, we don't have Tails around, so there's no reason to waste points.

Cream we set up with two levels in Refresh, meaning that she now uses it for free (healing 10 PP while casting it for 8) and a level in Heal. So now we've got her to pretty much give us non-stop POW moves all the time. Cool.

(Here are their stat screens if you actually care...)

One kind of important thing with Cream that's easy to mess up is that you kind of want her speed to be low so she can move last, thereby restoring everybody's POW points after they've burned them out. This is something of a problem when your other team members are Big and Eggman, because they are slowwww. It's easy to mess up, because your natural inclination is always GOTTA GO FAST.

Anyway, back to action, we got a plane to catch.

True to his word, Eggman has indeed made the Blue Ridge Zone accessible to us, so let's go.

Welcome to Blue Ridge Zone.

This hot track is based off of Sonic 3D Blast's Diamond Dust Zone Act 2. Dare to compare.

Anyway, now that we're at a new area, it's time for the customary tour of the new area.

Oh hey, I guess that's where Shadow went...

And there's the rest of town... Now for talking.

: Brr... I'm cold!
: Hmph. If I'd known it'd be this cold, I'd have worn my other boots.
: I've never really been here before. It seems... quiet.
: We don't know much about this place. We need to be careful.

Those lines just now are entirely dependent on whether you have those characters in your party. Eggman and Big just don't have much to say, I guess.

: We've landed in Station Square. That means that the back door to Metropolis is to the north.s

: Let's go!

Yes, let's.

Not much to see right now in "Station Square" as long as we're skipping sidequests. Check out this truck and wild west saloon, I guess. Side note about "Station Square"... I'm kind of confused about the name. See, Station Square was a town introduced in Sonic Adventure 1 and it was kind of a big city. I guess they just needed a name for this assortment of buildings? Make up your own explanation.

Anyway, gently caress it, we all saw him at the start, we all know what's coming, let's go ahead and talk to Shadow. In fact, the game so knows what's coming that as soon as you hit this point:

It locks you into a cutscene where Shadow and Sonic walk up to one another to start talking.

Whoa check out that sick frame where Sonic clips through the building. Way past cool glitch

: You can't outrun me, Shadow!
: Maybe not. But I can outfight you!

Okaayyy then. I guess this'd be real cool if we'd taken the peaceful route and hadn't beaten you up last update...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEr5sDvr__4

Shadow the Hedgehog

HP: 350
Special Attacks: Chaos Spear, Chaos Rift

Difficulty Level: 7/10
Notes: Shadow's still pretty much a joke. Like before, you've got sheer numbers on your side and will overwhelm him pretty quick. BUT he does have one new trick this time: the Chaos Rift. Watch the gently caress out if he uses it because if you miss the prompt to dodge it, you will get instantly KO'd. If you only miss some of the prompt you have a chance of merely getting a Distract status instead but will probably still get KO'd. It's a real bitch, but luckily it's an easy enough prompt to hit.

One thing you might have but probably didn't notice is that I forgot to switch Ferox, a.k.a. the Chao that makes POW moves auto-complete, over from Tails to Cream. Holy poo poo, Cream's button prompts are hard to hit. It's nearly a dealbreaker for me when it comes to choosing her to put on the team (if you don't have Ferox).

Anyway, we beat Shadow, what's happening now...

what

Well okay then

If you haven't been watching the fight videos I've been putting in these updates, you should at least check this one out, because the game pulls some bullshit and plays that bullshit escape minigame that I showed at the start of the LP with you again. Only with an interesting twist...

Oh hey look, it's not a crate we have to jump over this time, it's Chaos Rifts. No, they're not insta-death, but they do knock off 25 HP a shot to make this battle extra hard. Since you're probably already curious, no you can't die just by sucking at the chase. If you blow unbelievably badly, you automatically catch Shadow when you hit 1 HP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R40q14cm-M0

Shadow the Hedgehog

HP: 75
Special Attacks: Chaos Spear, Counter

Difficulty Level: Variable
Notes: The difficulty of this fight pretty much comes down entirely to how well you did in the last fight and how good you've gotten at the game in general. Since it's just Sonic and Shadow, mano-a-mano, you can't rely on numbers, and if you're down on health and/or PP from the last fight or that bullshit minigame, you're going to have to spend valuable turns healing yourself instead of fighting. Lastly, I HOPE YOU BOUGHT AXE KICK HAHA. This is like one of two fights in the game where the game isolates Sonic from the other characters in his party and makes you go it alone so hopefully you didn't blow your points on that bullshit Whirlwind attack. Oh, concerning Shadow: Luckily, he's done flinging Chaos Rifts (I think? I've never seen him use one in this phase) but he'll still use the Spears and he's got a nifty new move called Counter which is just one of those bullshit "dodge everything" moves that a bunch of enemies have.

ANYWAY, that's it, we're done with this rear end in a top hat.

: Have you been working for the Marauders?
: The Marauders? Why would I work for them? I've been searching for E-123 Omega. But ever since I got here, these Marauders have been coming out of nowhere to stop me.

:iceburn:

: Arguing won't get us anywhere.

: E-123 Omega is one of Eggman's most powerful robots. Unlike Eggman's other robots, however, Omega was... intelligent. He hated Eggman. Omega was trying to track down Eggman. I've searched all of Eggman's old hideouts for Omega, but no luck.

: Because a powerful and friendly Eggman robot is a valuable ally. Even the likes of you should understand that.
: More than that, though, he was my friend. And I won't let a friend rust in Metropolis at the hands of those Marauders.

: Looks that way. I will join you for now. Strength in numbers, right?
: Keep your friends close...
: Exactly.
: Omega should be in Metropolis. If we make it inside, I'd like to look for him.

At this point, the game does its customary thing of stopping to give us the chance to add Shadow to the party, but we're not gonna right now. Later, perhaps...

Well, left or straight? We'll be going left, since the straightforward path only leads to Chao eggs.

Whoa. I immediately regret my decision. Jokes aside, after a couple chapters of lobbing easy challenges like Swatbots at you, Blue Ridge Zone introduces a bunch of all new monsters and most of them are pretty tough! Anyway, let's see the big ol' bastard.

Shield Pawn

HP: 180
Special Attacks: Shields Up, Quake

Difficulty Level: 1/10
Annoyance Level: 11/10
Notes: Shield Pawns are an exercise in pain. Not because they're tough enemies, but because they're tough to beat. True to their names (and appearances), their defense is incredibly high, making it difficult as hell to hurt them. God help you if they use their Shields Up move, which is basically them curling up like a scared turtle and preventing you from doing anything to them for several turns.

Quake's a real dick move also, because it does very little damage, but can potentially put your whole team to sleep if you don't hit the dodge prompt. However, if you have a character with armor-piercing moves, Shield Pawns are much less of a bother to you.

Guess who has armor-piercing moves in my current party? NO ONE. This fight took 6 whole minutes. I thought about including it in the update as a video but goddamn it is boring footage on a rewatch. Also, one thing I realized in this fight, Laser Drones don't regenerate like other drones do.

Anyway let's get back to following the yellow-brick brown dirt road...

gently caress.

Dragodon

HP: 150
Special Attacks: Tailswipe, Regenerate

Difficulty Level: 3/10
Notes: Dragodons are mercifully much easier than our last encounters. Just a straightforward beat-em-up. They do hit hard, but nothing too dangerous. Their Tailswipe attack hits the whole party and if it connects you're both weakened and lose the ability to flee from battle. Actually, it will always connect. Even if you hit the dodge prompt, it will do 1 HP of damage, so... I guess try to stay above 1 HP.

Also they regenerate about 25% of their HP every turn. Luckily they don't rise from the dead like the robots do.

Okay, let's get back on this nightmare tour...

The billboard says "Come to Klondike". Normally, I'd bitch about grammar, but maybe Klondike's just a magical land where I'm not assaulted by giant robots/animals every two feet...

OH GODDAMMIT.

Raptor Hawk

HP: 100
Special Attacks: Feather Barrage

Difficulty Level: 6/10
Notes: Raptor Hawks are even more straightforward than Dragodons, thank God. No healing, no gimmick. Of course, the flipside of this coin is that they hit hard as hell.

Case in point
They can do a good chunk of damage with their basic attack, so you really want them to use their Feather Barrage attack to give yourself a shot at dodging everything. Feather Barrage itself shoots 4 feathers that will hit any assortment of your party members for at random, but the dodge prompt is pretty easy to hit, so no worries.

Moving onwards and upwards...

This man has a sidequest for us. We're not doing sidequests this update though, so let's keep moving along. Also I awkwardly wait for this Shield Pawn to shuffle out of the way because gently caress fighting Shield Pawns.

Further north on our scenic tour, we can see a Chao egg nested up on a pillar. To get to that, you have to go on the straight path back at the split where we recruited Shadow. Also, hey look, a Dragodon.

Until finally, we hit our gold star, meaning we're at our destination. Or we would be, if the game hadn't seized control from us for a cutscene.

: That voice...

I know what you're thinking, "That image looks like poo poo". Well keep in mind it is blown up twice the size it should be... still ain't great though. Here's the clip that actually plays with it if you wanna hear that sick 3 seconds of sound.

Oh hi

: You!
: You must be Shade.
: Yes. I am Shade of the exiled Nocturnus Clan. Turn around now, primitives. Don't make me destroy you.
: What have you done with the Chaos Emeralds?!
: Don't worry. They're safe.

*gasp*

: What?!?
: She's an echidna!
: But I thought Knuckles was the last!
: This is... not possible! Only my bloodline survived the wrath of Perfect Chaos!

: You can't be the Nocturnus Clan. This is a trick!
: And yet here I stand. Now, step aside, or I will show you the power of the Nocturnus!

LET'S ROLL SON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caHkpwnhWxo

Nocturnus Velite

HP: 90
Special Attacks: Stasis Bomb, Phase

Difficulty Level: Who the gently caress really cares, these are the same guys we've been fighting with different names and more HP. Dodge the Stasis Bombs, Phase sucks, blah blah, we all know what we're here for...

Procurator Shade

HP: 200
Special Attacks: Blade Rush, Reinforcements

Difficulty Level: 7/10
Notes: Shade's a tough cookie. I mean, I make it look easy :smug:, but if you don't know how to tackle her, you'll find her difficult. First of all, all of her attacks leech both health and PP from you, which is a huge pain in the rear end. Blade Rush, if it hits, specifically inflicts a Leech status effect which keeps leeching you even if she's not hitting you, a la Leech Seed from Pokemon. Plus it hurts, you know. Additionally, she'll call in backup every single turn if you knock out one of her backup guys before you knock her out. She doesn't rise from the grave or anything, so knock her out early and leave her on the ground while you mop up the rest.

That fight was enough to level up Big and Eggman. I'm not upgrading their moves yet though, because... reasons.

Anyway, we beat up a member of a once thought dead race, let's look into that...

: Stop them, team!
: This party is over, friends. You will not follow us.

Here's the actual clip, with the obligatory 3 seconds of sound.

PARAGON

quote:

: I... I know. Thanks, Sonic. I feel better now.

COOL RENEGADE

quote:

: Argh! I am SO mad right now!

By the way, this little mini-scene with Amy doesn't happen if she's not in your party at the time of the Shade fight. Normally the post-fight dialogue starts here (it still just keeps going from here from the Amy lines).

: We have to find another way.

: There are railway tunnels that lead into the city not far from here. If we can find one, and it's not completely caved in...
: We can get in that way.

: There are countless ways into my city! Er, most of which I have kept secret... even from myself!

: Yes... I....

Okay champ, you're the one that just found out you're no longer the last of a species but hey, process your emotions however you want...

: The tunnels are off to the west.
: The Marauders won't just let us go. We should be careful.
: Let's go, team!

Immediately after the game resumes, the camera pans over to the left side of the map where the avalanche has triggered an event...

Well hot drat that's convenient. It even parked us right near the gate. Anyway, we know the drill at this point, it's a puzzle.

Yeah Puzzle Guy, we know it's a puzzle, no I'm not gonna pay you for a hint, yes I wanna do it now. Well, okay, there is one funny bit here...

Oh, that Eggman! (cue laugh track)

Okay, so this puzzle's goddamn devious because of the way this game is set up. It's so much harder than it should be. Observe:

Now with characters:

What happens here is you get Sonic to press the button, which makes a pattern appear on the screen there.

Then you take your characters and have them stand on the buttons corresponding to the patterns on the wall that will make the pattern on the screen. Some of you may already see the problem here. First of all, all six wall patterns aren't on screen at one time, meaning you have to run around to look at them. Second, you can't see the pattern you're aiming for unless you have a character run up to the door. Third, if you hit a wrong button during this puzzle, the puzzle resets and tells you a different pattern to make. And you have to do the puzzle three times anyway (each time making one more character stand on a button.)

The puzzle itself is really not that hard. But the way the game makes you play it is infuriating. If nothing else, utilizing the top DS screen to show the target pattern would be much better than having to run up and check if you forget, but no, the top screen stays devoted to the map, you know, in case you have to leave and go somewhere outside of this puzzle (you can't leave puzzle areas without hitting that bottom arrow and quitting them first).

Here's a video if you care to watch me stumble through it.

Anyway, let's put this bad memory behind us.

Let's head on in...

: Won't the Marauders know about these tunnels?
: Ha! Silly girl. You know nothing of the sublime art of infiltration.

This is the game's way of telling us we're at a point of no return. We're not at the end of the game by any means, but after we enter the tunnel, we won't be going back to any of the game's prior areas, so we won't be going yet.

Next update: SIDEQUEST-A-PALOOZA as I clean out everything in the game's previous zones before we take off to Metropolis. Also next update, while he's served us well, Big's going to take a break and we're going to let Shadow join up on our squad of rookies. Here's his info, by the way.

Bonus Content: Sonic the Glitchhog

Before the fight with Shade, after she talks to you, she runs up to you to start the fight. All fights start this way, even boss fights. However, with Shade if you stand in a certain area of the map (the very bottom near that little glacier) when the cutscene triggers, she gets stuck when she walks towards you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZNAvYluzWc

PROGRAMMING! :eng99:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 6, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Ugh Shade, You are based off the worst character from the worst part of old Archie-Sonic... So in essence you're a perfect fit for this game. I'm going to still let this stuff play out before I get into the whole Pendersanity-Comic Book-Sonic Chronicles craziness.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

Ugh Shade, You are based off the worst character from the worst part of old Archie-Sonic... So in essence you're a perfect fit for this game. I'm going to still let this stuff play out before I get into the whole Pendersanity-Comic Book-Sonic Chronicles craziness.

Please do (let it play out, I mean). Only about one-to-two more updates before the big reveal where the villains tell you the whole plot. Then chat away.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly, I kind of like Shadow as a character, though he works best when he has someone to bounce off of and isn't just off on his own being stoic and angsty and ~cool.~

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Endorph posted:

Honestly, I kind of like Shadow as a character, though he works best when he has someone to bounce off of and isn't just off on his own being stoic and angsty and ~cool.~

I like Shadow best when he's showing that beneath it all he's still very much "normal"

Why does he had a personally customized motorcycle? Everyone needs a hobby! Much like Silver is an amazing character when he's really silly because... well any attempt to take Silver seriously is just eyerolling, but having him be the hapless guy who's over enthusiastic (and slowly learning to think) and puts his heart way out there more than anyone? Someone who's fun to see.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

And with Shadow in our party, we've just obsoleted Rouge. Rouge's main use is later in the game where armor-piercing is a godsend...but Shadow can also do that, and is a much better character in general.

If I recall correctly there's one more character who can pierce armor, who is also better than Rouge.

Don't use Rouge.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Knuckles pierces armor with Uppercut and deals respectable damage, too. Rouge was never ever useful unless you really like stealing useless garbage from enemies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Onmi posted:

I like Shadow best when he's showing that beneath it all he's still very much "normal"

Why does he had a personally customized motorcycle? Everyone needs a hobby! Much like Silver is an amazing character when he's really silly because... well any attempt to take Silver seriously is just eyerolling, but having him be the hapless guy who's over enthusiastic (and slowly learning to think) and puts his heart way out there more than anyone? Someone who's fun to see.

I love Omega in that panel.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Every sonic character is actually probably great, it's just the writing/story gets in the way of that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Can I just say that I love the subtle detail of how Knuckles immediately believes Eggman? Ever the gullible knucklehead. :allears:

Onmi posted:

Between Shadow's interactions there and Cream having dialogue with Omega, I really get the feeling I should read these comics.

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
I'm pretty sure this is just about when I stopped playing the game. At least I can only remember one other map, and I'm guessing it's what comes immediately after this.

I kind of wish they sold those comics over here in Portugal, it seems like they're pretty great nowadays.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Can I just say that I love the subtle detail of how Knuckles immediately believes Eggman? Ever the gullible knucklehead. :allears:

Between Shadow's interactions there and Cream having dialogue with Omega, I really get the feeling I should read these comics.

The way they work now, you have the mainline "Sonic the Hedgehog" comics, and now there's "Sonic Universe" which focuses on other characters/happenings in other worlds/places in 4 issue mini-series. I believe that particular example was from some crazy hunt for chaos emeralds between Team Dark, Team Blaze (Amy Rose, Blaze the Cat, Cream), the bird people from Sonic Riders, and some other baddies whose names escape me right now.

I'll be honest, there are times where Universe completely trumps the main series in just having fun. I mean, the very first issue contained Shadow being conned into furious silence:

It's kinda funny, really; there have been times where the Sonic comics have been criticized as being a convoluted mess that got way out of hand. Those days are a memory now, for the most part. With the current staff in charge of the comics, I'd take a thousand issues of either Sonic or Sonic Universe before I tried Sonic Chronicles again.

Anywho, I'm looking forward to Eggman's inevitable betrayal, and the flimsy justification for it. I will credit modern Sonic games with this much; they have ruined many things many times, but they've yet to completely ruin Eggman.:unsmith:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Not to mention stuff like this

You are a walking arsenal. I am an Assassin.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Onmi posted:

Shadow is insufferable when he's written with the defining traits of "2dark" and "2edgy". When he's just a slightly grumpier version of Sonic with other people to play off of, he's a lot more fun. Silver outside of the games is wonderful; he's so delightfully stupid, you can't help but smile. :allears:

Growing up playing the bajeezus out of 3D Blast on the Saturn (because it was pretty much the only game I owned), hearing the music getting butchered by Sonic Chronicles makes me froth at the mouth in incoherent rage. Thanks for providing a helpful youtube link to something safe and nostalgic for me to calm down to.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That face should be an avatar. :allears:

As for Gamma vs. Omega, I think I heard about that before. Omega and Gamma fuse together, right?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 6, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That face should be an avatar. :allears:

Take a look at some of Cybershell's posts one of these days.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Shadow's reaction in that panel is priceless. I like Shadow. Always have. I think he's far far better as a rival, he's better in short bursts, and he's better in the games where they aren't taking him incredibly seriously. Shadow and Heroes were missteps, but around the time of like Generations, he's good. I don't think he could be any more Vegeta if he tried, though.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Gensuki posted:

Every sonic character is actually probably great, it's just the writing/story gets in the way of that.

Yeah that rant I went on about Rouge earlier in the thread definitely applies to pretty much the entire cast. The Sonic universe is populated with characters who have enormous potential to be ridiculous and fun and silly, and people keep trying to put them in games and poo poo with these super serious stories that would barely work even if the characters weren't candy-colored wildlife.

Shinjobi posted:

It's kinda funny, really; there have been times where the Sonic comics have been criticized as being a convoluted mess that got way out of hand. Those days are a memory now, for the most part. With the current staff in charge of the comics, I'd take a thousand issues of either Sonic or Sonic Universe before I tried Sonic Chronicles again.

Ken Penders straight up ran that poo poo into the ground, and the game is rapidly approaching a point where Bioware went "gently caress it, we have a deadline to make" and starting ripping off huge chunks of plot points from the comics in lieu of doing any writing themselves. It shows. Even accounting for what the writing's been like so far, it really shows.

I believe Archie's current strategy is "burn it to the ground and start anew".

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
That's odd, I don't remember Shadow's Chaos Rift having a chance of success. Every time I used it, it had a 100% insta-kill success rate so long as I hit all the action commands.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dr. Buttass posted:

Yeah that rant I went on about Rouge earlier in the thread definitely applies to pretty much the entire cast. The Sonic universe is populated with characters who have enormous potential to be ridiculous and fun and silly, and people keep trying to put them in games and poo poo with these super serious stories that would barely work even if the characters weren't candy-colored wildlife.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this yet, but you're more right than you can possibly know.

:negative:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kurieg posted:

I'm not sure if you're aware of this yet, but you're more right than you can possibly know.

Holy poo poo

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Knuckles just looks so awkward. The others are decent extensions of their original designs, IMO, except him. He's... like they just stretched his legs and beefed up his arms, then moved them up onto his neck. And he just has to live like that now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Amy and Tails look fine, Sonic would probably be better if his torso were a bit longer or his legs were a bit shorter, as it is his pelvis is where his belly-button should be. Also his arms are blue now, though Amy's are still flesh-toned.

The weirdest thing are the wrappings. It looks like they angered Osiris somehow. Tumor cones notwithstanding, Knuckles has a reason to wrap his hands. But Sonic and Tails have somehow managed to wrap their feet on the outside of their shoes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I see SEGA finally decided to take the bold move of telling the story of Knuckles' steroid abuse.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I love the new designs, except for the egregious use of bandages.

I can accept Sonic's shoes being bandaged, but why tails? Is it so he can reach the pedals in his jet?

Why not make larger pedals?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

HI I'M FINGERS THE ECHIDNA

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

RareAcumen posted:

HI I'M FINGERS THE ECHIDNA

The trailer for that game looks dreadful- like a crossover of the worst traits of early Naughty Dog games and Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Eeesh. The others are good enough, but Knuckles looks like they tore his head off and jammed it on some sort of Franken-echidna.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I think Knuckles swallowed the Master Emerald in a last ditch effort to protect it from yet another inevitable hoisting/shattering.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Personally, of all of them I think Amy and Tails look the best.

...I'm actually a fan of Amy when she's written well. Am I still cool, guys? :smith:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

...I'm actually a fan of Amy when she's written well. Am I still cool, guys? :smith:

I also like Amy when she is good. How this relates to your coolness has yet to be determined.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ometeotl posted:

I think Knuckles swallowed the Master Emerald in a last ditch effort to protect it from yet another inevitable hoisting/shattering.

Shao Kahn confirmed for next Sonic villain, since Knuckles will never be a successful guardian and that emerald's gotta get out somehow.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Ometeotl posted:

That makes a little too much sense.

I mean he has kind of spent the last few games not really taking the job seriously.

StarPilot87
Dec 31, 2012

I'm kind of digging Eggman's redesign.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

StarPilot87 posted:

I'm kind of digging Eggman's redesign.

Aside from having both goggles AND sunglasses, but I'm not sure if that's been present in other incarnations.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Eggman's outfit screams Cyborg 009 and I love it.

As for the game, I'm just glad it's getting along with its story. The whole "whoa echidnas are still around?" thing may be right out of the Archie comics, but at least something's happening. :v:

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Aside from having both goggles AND sunglasses, but I'm not sure if that's been present in other incarnations.

It has been. except in 06 where his glasses were also goggles.

Shadowesque
Nov 4, 2012
The gameplay trailer looks shiny, but I'll admit I'm not entirely sold. The cartoon trailer/clip? I am going to watch the hell out of that. And cringe at Knuckles at every single moment. But otherwise, wow, I really want the show. Like, now-ish.

But Chronicles-wise, oh Shadow. :allears: Don't ever admit defeat. Even when defeated. Just keep chuggin' along, you dark-rear end juggernaut. And I don't care what anyone says and what problems there are, the dialogue. I love it and nobody can convince me otherwise lalalala.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
That Knuckles design makes me think somebody liked Wrath of Cortex a bit too much. :v: Robotnik's looking pretty cool though.

As for the game, it seems to be coming along nicely. Keep up the good work, TwoPair.

• Locked thread