Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Well it's to be expected, I can't wait to see them write their way out of the way Season 2 ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

sweet_jones posted:

How far into Walking Dead should I go before I decide the show is now for me? Having heard so many people talk about loving it I want to give it a chance but 3 eps in I'm kind of :shrug:
Another guy here who thinks you should just give up. You've kinda seen the best it has to offer already.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

That's not entirely true. S4 is pretty good, at least as far as Walking Dead goes. That said, if you're not into it at all now it's not probably not worth enduring S2 and 3 for.

VVV Sweet, thanks!

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 9, 2014

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Wafflecopper posted:

Just finished Season 1 of The Shield. Really enjoying it so far, Vic is defninitely one of my favourite TV characters ever.

There is a newbie thread for The Shield. It's spoiler free, so long as you don't hover over any spoiler tags, and it's a lot of fun for us to watch the show for the first time vicariously through other people. I recently watched the Shield this past summer, and it's a great outlet to post your HOLY SHITS and :tviv:'s.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I just watched all of The Good Wife.

Kalinda is awesome, but she seems to get saddled with some questionable story arcs.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

That's not entirely true. S3 is pretty good, at least as far as Walking Dead goes. That said, if you're not into it at all now it's not probably not worth enduring S2 for.
Really? The Walking Dead season 3 is genuinely one of the worst pieces of television I've seen. (And I watched seasons 5 and 6 of Dexter!)

To be fair, it starts off well and there's one random good episode that's totally unrelated to the main arc and barely features the majority of the cast - but everything (by which I mean NOTHING) with crazy Rick, the Governor, Woodbury, Andrea...That season finale...Good god.

It took until Arrow's first season finale to wash the bad taste of that out of my mouth.

edit: vv Oh. Phew.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 9, 2014

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Wait no I mean Season 4

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Mu Zeta posted:

I've been watching X-Files. I've seen Fringe so I figured I might as well watch the inspiration. I'm 21 episodes into it and Scully finally, finally believes that there are alien/government conspiracies. gently caress you Scully you skeptical dingbat.

Haha, "finally" after less than a season of her not believing? Honestly, you still have a long way to go dealing with Scully not believing in poo poo right in front of her eyes. You are not even close. She still really doesn't believe at the point you are at. She might make it seem that way during an especially momentous episode, but after that she will be right back to denying obvious poo poo to Mulder, and she will be doing it many, many more times to come.

She doesn't really, truly believe until Mulder's disappearance at the end of season 7. (Not really a spoiler if you know about the famous later season's, ahem, casting changes, but I'll spoil it just incase.) And when she does start believing at that point, it's seems to be born more out of a feeling of guilt, loyalty, and straight up necessity if she is to be able to achieve her goal, than anything else. All of which makes Believer-Scully laughable to watch espousing Mulder-esque viewpoints and theories. She still seems at odds with her rational mind when she becomes Believer-Scully. Or Sculder, as it were.

Damo fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 9, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pigdog posted:

Well it's to be expected, I can't wait to see them write their way out of the way Season 2 ended.

They don't, but it's actually perfectly fine because how they do it, too. At first you'll be like, "What the gently caress?" but by the end you'll be all, "Works for me."

It's a very entertaining show.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CaptainHollywood posted:

I only have two episodes left Walking Dead season 4. I realized it's big problem. They have to stretch about 2-3 hours of storytelling over 8+ hours. AMC should have really made it "Event Television" by having TWO 2-Hour episodes of Walking Dead a year. One in the Spring. One in the fall.

I noticed this around midway through Season 3, but it was okay. It's actually nice to have a story breathe occasionally, instead of just being frantic action (I haven't seen Season 4 yet but "Clear" was an example of an episode that could've been a subplot of an episode but turned out being a really great hour of TV).

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

VagueRant posted:

Really? The Walking Dead season 3 is genuinely one of the worst pieces of television I've seen. (And I watched seasons 5 and 6 of Dexter!)

I didn't mind season 3 (I've watched season 8 of Dexter).

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was way too young to watch the X-Files and the theme song still gives me the goosebumps. Now that I'm an adult, is it worth watching the whole series through? Or is it one of those things where you had to be 20 in the 90s to really enjoy?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

I was way too young to watch the X-Files and the theme song still gives me the goosebumps. Now that I'm an adult, is it worth watching the whole series through? Or is it one of those things where you had to be 20 in the 90s to really enjoy?

I'm enjoying my first watch through so far, just occasionally laughing at the 90's as hell fashions and computers.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Turtlicious posted:

It was a show for adults to begin with. I'd say you would have fun with it, after all, I STILL love Seinfeld.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
When you get to the episode Home make sure you watch it with small children.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bobkatt013 posted:

When you get to the episode Home make sure you watch it with small children.

That's the only episode I had scene because my mother was an rear end in a top hat.

I was 6.

t:mad:t

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I got The X-Files box set with the movies for Christmas so that's what I've been binging through lately. I'm only on the penultimate disc of season two so far, but it's all good stuff so far.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I remember there was an episode of the X-Files where they come across this dude that is like a mutant or something, and he would build this paper-mache nest out of paper and spittle to hibernate in and every 7 years come out to kill a dude and eat their liver for some reason. It was creepy as hell.

Please tell me this was an actual episode and not just a fever dream.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WarLocke posted:

I remember there was an episode of the X-Files where they come across this dude that is like a mutant or something, and he would build this paper-mache nest out of paper and spittle to hibernate in and every 7 years come out to kill a dude and eat their liver for some reason. It was creepy as hell.

TOOMS. His first episode was squeeze and played by Doug Hutchison who is creepy in his own way.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I was wrong; ignore me.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, pretty sure that's a real episode, though I'm not :spergin: enough to tell you which one it was.

The X-Files works great to this day, and it's definitely not a children's show. Back in the day I only saw a few episodes here and there when my parents were watching it and I totally enjoyed watching it from start to finishseason 7.

Also speaking of Seinfeld, I just started watching the show for the first time, and don't think I've even seen a single episode before. Just two episodes in it's not amazing, but very solid stuff already. I was really surprised by the format - Jerry playing himself intercut with his standup stuff. I've been watching Louie since the beginning and always thought it was unique in that regard :psyduck:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

WarLocke posted:

He's in two episodes of season 1.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

That was the stretchy guy, right? Did he also have yellow eyes, or am I making poo poo up?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Drifter posted:

That was the stretchy guy, right? Did he also have yellow eyes, or am I making poo poo up?

Yes Tooms. He could go through air vents.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

bobkatt013 posted:

TOOMS. His first episode was squeeze and played by Doug Hutchison who is creepy in his own way.

He went on to play Percy in The Green Mile. Oh yeah, he married a sixteen-year-old girl. They're divorced now.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mister Kingdom posted:

He went on to play Percy in The Green Mile. Oh yeah, he married a sixteen-year-old girl. They're divorced now.

To be fair, she looks 40.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

mobby_6kl posted:

Also speaking of Seinfeld, I just started watching the show for the first time, and don't think I've even seen a single episode before. Just two episodes in it's not amazing, but very solid stuff already. I was really surprised by the format - Jerry playing himself intercut with his standup stuff. I've been watching Louie since the beginning and always thought it was unique in that regard :psyduck:

The show doesn't really hit it's stride until 2 or 3. Granted there's still some great episodes until then- but it's not until season 3 where every episode becomes good. Of all the shows (currently) on TV both Simpsons and Seinfeld have managed to thrive in re-runs without seeming old and stale. Much like the Simpsons, it's almost guaranteed the show will NEVER be on Netflix. Come join and post in the Seinfeld thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3295518 - we're always interested in hearing a newbie's perspective. We get to experience it for the first time again!

Wizardryo
Jul 23, 2002

"Finally! A deep throat to call my own!"
For anyone looking for a show to binge through, Veronica Mars just went up for streaming on Amazon Prime Instant. Bias of my avatar aside, it's a great, great show that I remember everyone on this forum salivating over back when it was on. A lot of what made it work during its initial airing was that Lost was airing at the time as well, and they both introduced tons of mysteries and extended character arcs, but Veronica Mars actually solves all of its mysteries by the end of the season. And they do it in a :tviv: sort of way, to boot.

I've had a lot of good real-life success introducing the show to a lot of people and I would say from their experiences that the first season starts "clicking" around episode 7 ("The Girl Next Door") and kicks into overdrive in episode 10 ("An Echolls Family Christmas"), not letting go until the season finale.

(For the unaware, Veronica is a detective who deals with a season-long murder mystery and solves mystery-of-the-week cases along the way. There's also smaller mysteries and cases that persist for a few episodes or seem to get dropped but get revisited later on when you least expect it. Yeah, there's some high school drama interspersed in-between, but only in the way that Buffy can be considered a high school drama. There's a lot of character development stuffed into the show and it relies a lot on a reasonably large list of tertiary characters. I suspect the reason for this was to throw as many possible murder suspects out there as possible, but it also had the beneficial side-effect of making the universe feel very lived-in.)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Seconding the Veronica Mars love. I don't remember the third season being quite as good as the first two, but the show as a whole was really great.

I also watched the first episode of Black Mirror earlier, and I am definitely getting the "Twilight Zone/Outer Limits, only about the dangers of modern technology" vibe they are going for. It was actually really uncomfortable to watch (not the the episode was bad, but that they did such a good job of making the plot get under my skin), and I'm not sure I want to continue with the show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At least watch the second episode before deciding :) hahahaha it'll gently caress you up. it is an amazing piece of tv though

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Finally caught up with Sherlock. The last episode might have been a bit calamari while most expected steak, but for now I'm throughly impressed by the brilliance of dialogue and directing. It's a rollercoaster; one of my favorite TV shows for sure.

I'm glad the UK can come up with TV drama that can give HBO and AMC a run for their money.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pigdog posted:

Finally caught up with Sherlock. The last episode might have been a bit calamari while most expected steak, but for now I'm throughly impressed by the brilliance of dialogue and directing. It's a rollercoaster; one of my favorite TV shows for sure.

I'm glad the UK can come up with TV drama that can give HBO and AMC a run for their money.

If you're talking about the wedding episode, yeah, it felt really out of place, but then I just rolled with it and ended up pretty entertained. The bachelor party case stuff was silly fun.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
I can see how it could have felt out of place for some, personally I didn't mind the thematic departure and was instead really impressed with how skillfully it was all put together on screen.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pigdog posted:

I can see how it could have felt out of place for some, personally I didn't mind the thematic departure and was instead really impressed with how skillfully it was all put together on screen.

It felt like they were taking Sherlock up to THE EXTREME of his character. The first episode was shocking like that, too.

They've made him become Data, questing for humanity and acting only the most hyperbolic of human ways. It's clearly not THAT bad, but it feels like it was a set & planned show mandate. "Hey you know how he's supposed to be detached from most social intercourse and relations? Well, let's ramp it up a bit."

Wacky Sherlock.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I've been jamming non-stop on The (US) Office for weeks and now I've got to season 8 and I've never seen such a sharp decline into tedium. It's like I'm watching entire episodes constructed of filler dialogue that's supposed to go between the jokes. Does it get better? Should I just skip to the end?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I've been jamming non-stop on The (US) Office for weeks and now I've got to season 8 and I've never seen such a sharp decline into tedium. It's like I'm watching entire episodes constructed of filler dialogue that's supposed to go between the jokes. Does it get better? Should I just skip to the end?

Skip to Season 9. The creator had left at some point around the 5-6 season, and specifically came back to end it. There is an uptick in quality in comparison to season 7/8.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I'm about halfway through Sym-Bionic Titan and I have to wonder why it was canceled/only had one season. It really captures all the giant robot show tropes in a not-horrible way and the animation is a joy to watch.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm finally almost finished with my trip through DS9 (got like 6 episodes left) and holy poo poo have things gotten completely insane. :supaburn:

I was worried for a little while at the end of season 6 that the show had already peaked earlier that season, since the last 8 or so episodes of 6 ranged from mediocre to downright awful. Season 7 managed to turn that around and now this whole long third of a season finale arc is incredible stuff.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just started with Fringe and... it's not very good so far. The cold openings are pretty promising, but then the literally mad professor pulls out a deus ex machina out of his rear end (usually in the form of "oh I did that before they put me away") to solve everything. It's as if a nuttier and more annoying version of the Lone Gunmen was there every episode to solve the ridiculous mysteries with even more ridiculous poo poo. Drill into a guy's brain with rusty 20 y.o. tools, while lying about the cause of his problems? Sure, why not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Just started with Fringe and... it's not very good so far. The cold openings are pretty promising, but then the literally mad professor pulls out a deus ex machina out of his rear end (usually in the form of "oh I did that before they put me away") to solve everything. It's as if a nuttier and more annoying version of the Lone Gunmen was there every episode to solve the ridiculous mysteries with even more ridiculous poo poo. Drill into a guy's brain with rusty 20 y.o. tools, while lying about the cause of his problems? Sure, why not!

It gets better. I'm getting toward the end of Season 2, and Fringe really excels when it gets into the deeper mythology and moves away from monster/case/terrorist attack-of-the-week episodes. It shouldn't be too long before it picks up steam for you. For what it's worth, I've enjoyed it a lot more than watching Agents of SHIELD and even The X-Files (back in the day), and I'm sure it will end up as one of my all-time favorite shows despite its slow start.