Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

creatine posted:

I get $13/hr as a part time butcher right now.

It'd be great if the cost of living wasn't so drat high

$10/hr and I'm in the same loving state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

left_unattended posted:

Sunday - find needle on floor of shop.

Is this a metaphor? Or did you mean you found a used syringe?

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Volmarias posted:

Is this a metaphor? Or did you mean you found a used syringe?

Syringe. The metaphor didn't occur to me until now :).

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

I've tasted the world outside retail and I want out more than ever. I started substitute teaching this month and while its difficult and stressful at times, it is infinitely better than the retail I'm doing now. And somehow more reliable shift wise. I'm scheduled for a whopping 4 shifts this month totalling less than 10 hours. And next month doesn't look better. poo poo is awful until like August.

I would just up and leave, but I want to keep a good relationship with my boss because I can use her as a letter of recommendation as I move deeper into teaching. But they seem unable to find a replacement for me. I just want to train them and get out.

The only advantage this job has over subbing is not having to get up at 5:40 AM.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

BrainToad posted:

I've tasted the world outside retail and I want out more than ever. I started substitute teaching this month and while its difficult and stressful at times, it is infinitely better than the retail I'm doing now. And somehow more reliable shift wise. I'm scheduled for a whopping 4 shifts this month totalling less than 10 hours. And next month doesn't look better. poo poo is awful until like August.

I would just up and leave, but I want to keep a good relationship with my boss because I can use her as a letter of recommendation as I move deeper into teaching. But they seem unable to find a replacement for me. I just want to train them and get out.

The only advantage this job has over subbing is not having to get up at 5:40 AM.

If you work 10 hours a month, they're not going to go find a replacement for you. If you're working that few hours they could probably either get by completely without you or will just take the hours and divide them up amongst the rest of the staff.

I understand wanting to keep a good relationship with your boss. If that's important, give them a 2-4 week notice, and be graceful and polite about the exit.

For what probably works out to less than $100.00 a month pay wise, I don't know exactly what the point is to keep on going?

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Kilonum posted:

$10/hr and I'm in the same loving state.
$19.50/hr and I'm in the same loving country :smuggo:
To be more specific I'm a lead cutter and/or assistant manager. Also my position now only pays up to $14/hr to new hires :(

I work in a store where the clientele has probably the most disposable income compared to customers at others stores yet people try to fool us in giving them a deal. A lot of times we put 50% off stickers on product that goes on sale for 50% off in our ad. On the sticker itself says "Price Marked is 50% off". People try to argue to us that it's supposed to be 50% off the already discounted and listed price on the package. It's one thing if it's genuine confusion and I need to clarify it to someone, but people over here literally get mad and argue over it and yell out that they're going to talk to the store manager.

We also had someone get mad over a 50% sale item that wasn't exactly 50% off according to them. For example what is the final price for a 2lb. roast that is 50% off at 5.99/lb? Is it $5.98 total or $5.99 total? Our price was 5.99 total, the customer argued that it was 5.98 total to the store manager. There's two different ways to calculate the sale and you can come up with both final prices. It was sad that a customer argued over a loving penny.

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

blackmet posted:

If you work 10 hours a month, they're not going to go find a replacement for you. If you're working that few hours they could probably either get by completely without you or will just take the hours and divide them up amongst the rest of the staff.

I understand wanting to keep a good relationship with your boss. If that's important, give them a 2-4 week notice, and be graceful and polite about the exit.

For what probably works out to less than $100.00 a month pay wise, I don't know exactly what the point is to keep on going?

I'm not traditional retail, I'm a vendor rep. So there isn't really anyone else on the team to take my place. I'm in a odd location where no one ever wants to cover my stores because of where they are in relation to everyone else's (bridge tolls are a bitch). There are two other base locations near me and one is staffed by someone with limited availability and the other can't keep a rep, which I know because I used to cover that too.

So getting someone hired, in and trained in what to do in my store. We get poo poo hours when the stores get less busy, it picks up a little in February/March for "back to business", but it's honestly still poo poo until back to school.

But I'm at my wit's end with it. I'm going to shoot my boss an email tonight and see if there has been progress on hiring. Maybe some of the seasonal from regular retail will want a shot at being a rep. Hint, never be a rep.

I just love that I did the math awhile back, and my average month of work if I got perfect assignments of hours equals the same amount of pay if I did 4 days of subbing in a standard class. And I technically get paid higher per hour than average retail to be a rep!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
My grandfather used to own a hot dog place up in Massachusetts, a fairly well-known place that's run by my uncle now. He used to do hot dogs for like 32 cents each, 3 for 99 cents. People fell for it.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Yeah, two fun things today. First, trying to juggle three customers at once, because everyone wants your attention right now and the person you were in the middle of helping can just gently caress right off for all they give a poo poo about. And it was nice of our PSAs to leave displays of flooring that I don't have in stock and can't even order from the DC (literally the only thing available are the samples which are marked down to 5 cents). Thankfully was still able to save that sale.

And sometimes I wish I could put signs up that say "look with your eyes not your hands" and "if you can't remember where you got it from, don't pick it up!"

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

YF19pilot posted:

"if you can't remember where you got it from, don't pick it up!"

Nothing says fun like finding a few gallons of ice cream/several pounds of meat behind some juice bottles in the unrefrigerated juice section. For some customers, apparently, going to the cashier and telling them you don't want it is too hard or something. And since juice bottles had to be moved to find them, it's nice to know our brain donors during the day/evening shifts just couldn't be bothered to actually do something with it besides leaving it there until it's dealt with at 3am in the morning.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

ijii posted:

We also had someone get mad over a 50% sale item that wasn't exactly 50% off according to them. For example what is the final price for a 2lb. roast that is 50% off at 5.99/lb? Is it $5.98 total or $5.99 total? Our price was 5.99 total, the customer argued that it was 5.98 total to the store manager. There's two different ways to calculate the sale and you can come up with both final prices.

This sounds sorta awesome if you imagine he did it because he's on a mission to expand the mathematical horizons of our nation.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

Does anyone know someone who works at really high end retail? Does the pay scale up, or do you work of commission or what?

baquerd posted:

That's interesting to me, because retail at its base is all about sales dollars and managing customers. What is so fundamentally different between people selling high end consumer products to people making hundreds of thousands of dollars selling big products to big business? Does it all come down to connections? Is there some other element, such as ruthlessness or confidence, that separates a retail salesperson from a high value product salesperson? How much of the salesperson "hierarchy" comes down to luck and circumstance, and how much can be controlled by a person with the appropriate sales-intelligence and motivation?

A lot of sales stuff on retail does come down to learning the tricks at it. I worked at Best Buy before my corp cellular job, and the quality of salesmanship is honestly night and day. But it's training plus a mentality, so most people I do feel can make the jump.

Anyone looking to get out of lovely retail pay, I still recommend cell phone jobs. You will make a minimum of $40K as a terrible sales rep at a major 4 carrier. If you are good you will def make $50-60K a year. Franchise stores pay a bit less, but if you need "more experience" you can still make $30K a year there then move up to being a corporate sales rep.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

BrainToad posted:

I'm not traditional retail, I'm a vendor rep. So there isn't really anyone else on the team to take my place. I'm in a odd location where no one ever wants to cover my stores because of where they are in relation to everyone else's (bridge tolls are a bitch). There are two other base locations near me and one is staffed by someone with limited availability and the other can't keep a rep, which I know because I used to cover that too.

So getting someone hired, in and trained in what to do in my store. We get poo poo hours when the stores get less busy, it picks up a little in February/March for "back to business", but it's honestly still poo poo until back to school.

So what if it's not traditional retail? It's a job. You're perfectly entitled to giving 2 weeks notice that you're quitting. Sending them a nicely worded letter and thanking them for the experience is plenty polite. If they can't find someone, then that's their problem. Don't rule out they can be purposely dragging their feet at hiring someone or have someone train because you haven't committed. You said yourself no one wants to work your stores. If they can pawn it off on you, then why not?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BrainToad posted:

I'm not traditional retail, I'm a vendor rep.

:respek:

I guess there is no reps for my company in northern california and my boss set me up with a hotel to drive 4 hours to do 90 minutes of work then drive 4 hours back. Some months you can get some really good hours, other times you get nothing.

Second pay period of November for example got me 1,500 after taxes. My paycheck for the last week of december and the first week of january? 270 dollars.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
If you're stuck with retail, but want something a but better, try a furniture store. I'm in furniture sales, and it is definitely retail, but lands more towards sales. It's really easy to get hired a long as you have any kind of social skills. The hours aren't good, but they're at least consistent. And last year our average salesperson brought in 35k. It beats the hell out of other retail jobs, and isn't that hard to get into.

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

Leal posted:

:respek:

I guess there is no reps for my company in northern california and my boss set me up with a hotel to drive 4 hours to do 90 minutes of work then drive 4 hours back. Some months you can get some really good hours, other times you get nothing.

Second pay period of November for example got me 1,500 after taxes. My paycheck for the last week of december and the first week of january? 270 dollars.

Haha, yeah. I was looking at my bank account and I saw this huge amount come in from my company and I'm like what? And realized it was from the end of December pay period. I actually delayed starting to sub because I knew I would be working everyday, even though I was hired by the district back in late November.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
So my local ALDI is having a job fair to fill positions at area locations. Has anyone ever worked at an ALDI? I like shopping there, but is it as bad as other retail stores?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ALDI didn't hire me for an entry level position even though I was incredibly qualified (8 years in a variety of retail jobs with outstanding references). I'm pretty sure it's because I'm overweight.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Much like American Eagle, Aldi associates are technically models.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

CaptainJuan posted:

If that's the case, I'm hosed.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Once again, another Monday where between the CFO visit/staff meeting, window/door delivery, and customers, I managed to get about jack poo poo done. Christ, it almost makes me want to work a Sunday just so I have four customer- and bullshit-free hours to catch up on the spreadsheets I'm responsible for.

On the plus side, I realized that carrying around 80+ pound windows and doors is getting easier for me. :unsmith:

Oh, and tomorrow, I have to break down a bunch of windows and sliding glass doors, so that's another half-hour's worth of spreadsheet work down the shitter.

...weird part is, I bitch and moan and complain about not being able to get a goddamn thing done that I need to, but the truth is, I love it so much more than Dollar Tree. I'm not standing behind a counter all day, I'm moving around, learning a ton, and getting physically stronger to boot. I think I'm even losing weight.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I joke around at work that basically all I do is lift heavy boxes and speedwalk circles around the store all day, but it really does keep me fit. Since I started this job/shift 3 years ago, I haven't even had a common cold.

Still can't wait to gtfo, but still.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Being paid to break half a ton of glass windows and doors? Awesome.

Having another loving RMA door to send back to our manufacturer because they hosed it up again (already RMA'd the first one, now we have to RMA the replacement)? Not awesome.

On the bright side, I got stuff done today and gave one of our suppliers good-natured poo poo over the Pats losing.

EDIT: I just remembered, a call came in early yesterday morning and caller ID said it came from Scranton, Pennsylvania. I half-expected to hear Rainn Wilson on the other try and sell me paper products on behalf of Dunder-Mifflin Paper Company.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 23, 2014

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

CaptainJuan posted:

:wtc: The Aldi near me is staffed almost exclusively by 20-40 year old kinda butch women.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Yeah Aldi is a european grocery store chain with higher than average pay (in the US). You must be confusing it with something else.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

Sankis posted:

Yeah Aldi is a european grocery store chain with higher than average pay (in the US). You must be confusing it with something else.

Ulta maybe? The expensive make up place where everyone wears black and the dudes are prettier than mostly all the female customers?

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005
There's a shoe store called Aldo, maybe that's it?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
ALDI has good starting pay, but everyone who works there seems to be miserable.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

CaptainJuan posted:

It was a loving joke you guys. Jesus.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

EugeneJ posted:

ALDI has good starting pay, but everyone who works there seems to be miserable.

Yeah the pay is intriguing, but I'm less jazzed about it after reading some reviews about the company on glassdoor.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Retail Slave posted:

Yeah the pay is intriguing, but I'm less jazzed about it after reading some reviews about the company on glassdoor.

Are there any retail places that even have high ratings on Glassdoor besides assuming Costco?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Casull posted:

Are there any retail places that even have high ratings on Glassdoor besides assuming Costco?

No, but when I checked it out once, it sounded bizarre and pretty miserable even for retail (and I was in a lovely retail job at the time).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Sankis posted:

In Australia Aldi is a European grocery store chain with terrible pay and ludicrously bad working conditions compared to everywhere else.

Aldi store manager: $48K

My assistant checkout manager at not-Aldi: $56K

My store manager: ~$120k + car + bonuses. (and it's one of the smaller stores in the company).

Aldi does all sorts of crazy poo poo like not giving anyone fixed rosters, and expecting people to be on call 24/7 and disciplining them if they decline a shift.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Whereas in the UK they pay over the minimum wage as a starting salary (pretty rare for retail), appear to have a minimum 15 hour a week contract (again, relatively rare) and 28 days paid leave a year. So your mileage may vary depending on which country you're in.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

Fil5000 posted:

Whereas in the UK they pay over the minimum wage as a starting salary (pretty rare for retail), appear to have a minimum 15 hour a week contract (again, relatively rare) and 28 days paid leave a year. So your mileage may vary depending on which country you're in.

Supermarkets in general are pretty good for pay in the UK, I'm pretty sure all the major ones pay more than minimum wage. I don't think the wages are going anywhere, but the semi-decent contracts are slowly on the way out. I used to pity the people who had worked in tesco for 25+ years and were still just working on checkouts, but then I found out that they got 2x pay on sunday, 3x pay on bank holidays, and weren't subject to the flexitime system yet could ask for overtime just like anyone else. There just isn't any reason for them to leave.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

The Lord Bude posted:

In Australia Aldi is a European grocery store chain with terrible pay and ludicrously bad working conditions compared to everywhere else.

Aldi store manager: $48K

My assistant checkout manager at not-Aldi: $56K

My store manager: ~$120k + car + bonuses. (and it's one of the smaller stores in the company).

Aldi does all sorts of crazy poo poo like not giving anyone fixed rosters, and expecting people to be on call 24/7 and disciplining them if they decline a shift.

That's all pretty much normal for a retail job in America.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

blackmet posted:

That's all pretty much normal for a retail job in America.

American and Australian dollars vary greatly in their actual value, though.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Dollar Tree store managers make about $45k salary starting out and end up having to work a minimum of 50-55 hours a week, sometimes closer to 60, without overtime since they're managers. Probably not the WORST chain retail out there, but certainly not even close to decent for the poo poo they put you through.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

D34THROW posted:

Dollar Tree store managers make about $45k salary starting out and end up having to work a minimum of 50-55 hours a week, sometimes closer to 60, without overtime since they're managers. Probably not the WORST chain retail out there, but certainly not even close to decent for the poo poo they put you through.

Dollar Tree offered to start me at $9.25/hour to be an assistant manager and I told them to shove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

Dollar Tree offered to start me at $9.25/hour to be an assistant manager and I told them to shove it.

Yep. Our highest-paid AM out of 3 made $13 an hour after 5 years there and they were CONSTANTLY trying to give her a pay cut. I'm glad to be out of that shithole.

Worked there for a year and got a grand total of 20 cents across 2 raises. One raise was when Florida's minimum wage went from $7.50 to $7.67 and the other was like a 3-cent cost-of-living raise, both of which essentially nullified the 10% raise I was supposed to get after a year.

Where I work now, I make $8 an hour working an 8-hour day 3 days a week with huge potential for advancement. In fact, advancement is pre-planned where I'll be taking over for my mother when she retires, probably within the decade.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 26, 2014