Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Almost certainly not. TR probably looks better on the PC.

No, the PS4 version actually has new graphical effects, such as new fog effects and redone lighting, so the atmosphere and immersion is a lot better, and a new character model for Lara. The only thing the PC version did better over the PS3 version was the hair physics. The PS4 version does look better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

I said come in! posted:

No, the PS4 version actually has new graphical effects, such as new fog effects and redone lighting, so the atmosphere and immersion is a lot better, and a new character model for Lara. The only thing the PC version did better over the PS3 version was the hair physics. The PS4 version does look better.

Yea I want to see comparisons between ps4 and PC because the lighting seems to be the coolest change and one of the few big reasons to play it over a PC version.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why would they change her face, of all things? It almost sounds like there is some kind of licensing dispute or something behind it.

My guess is that they were rescanning it anyway for the sequel so they said "eh, let's use it, it helps with continuity."

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Skychrono posted:

My guess is that they were rescanning it anyway for the sequel so they said "eh, let's use it, it helps with continuity."
Well I mean, it's clearly based on a different person than before. Did the previous face model leave the project?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well I mean, it's clearly based on a different person than before. Did the previous face model leave the project?

I'm almost positive it's the same lady.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's the same actress, just better technology. It's pretty clearly a more naturalistic render of the same face.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

According to Crystal Dynamics, they were altering the model to improve the skin and polygons and the character modellers decided to improve the face itself because they felt it wasn't realistic enough before.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I think I also read in this thread somewhere that the actress they scanned for Lara gained a little bit of weight in between the original development cycle and now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Neither model looks like a direct scan, or even heavily based on one. My guess would be artists' caprice; they just felt they could make her look better.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Personally, I prefer the older model. It's more stylized, but I don't know if photorealism would necessarily improve Tomb Raider.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I always thought the old face looked odd - mostly around the eyes. Especially in comparison to the FMV version. I much prefer the new.

Also, I heard this isn't just a redone face for this game, this is Lara's next-gen appearance for future games too. The DE is apparently something of a technological preview of the sequel.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The $60 price tag still makes no sense to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

The $60 price tag still makes no sense to me.

There is literally nothing else for the PS4 for months tax.

dadozer
Jul 14, 2006

Is anyone else having problems finding PS Cameras anywhere in stock? It's becoming a bit ridiculous.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BreakAtmo posted:

I always thought the old face looked odd - mostly around the eyes. Especially in comparison to the FMV version. I much prefer the new.

I read a pretty interesting article about this where they were trying to find a midway point where certain features like the lips/eyes/hair would be sort of like the older models of the character while still making it look good. This new face though is much more effective at that. The eyes were way too plasticy on the old model while this is much more convincing while still clearly being the Lara Croft character.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

dadozer posted:

Is anyone else having problems finding PS Cameras anywhere in stock? It's becoming a bit ridiculous.

Worldwide issue. Heard from one direction that it's not manufactured in any great numbers.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

ImpAtom posted:

There's $40 Rayman Legends next month. :shobon:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MrLonghair posted:

Worldwide issue. Heard from one direction that it's not manufactured in any great numbers.

I guess that single hasn't made it to Canada yet.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Tomb Raider DE is only 60 bucks because it originally sold like 5 million copies and Square-Eidos considered it "underperforming".

So they gon' miiiiiilk it!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

MrLonghair posted:

What does a brit boy band know about Sony supply chain issues?

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Aphrodite posted:

I guess that single hasn't made it to Canada yet.
There are some at the FS near where I live. Should I buy them all and become a millionaire overnight on Ebay ^

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Feenix posted:

Tomb Raider DE is only 60 bucks because it originally sold like 5 million copies and Square-Eidos considered it "underperforming".

So they gon' miiiiiilk it!

Apparently it only just became profitable, even after selling 5 million. Hopefully it'll be $20 in a couple of months or a PS+ game a few months before the sequel because full price is taking the piss a bit for a touched up last-gen game.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Soul Glo posted:

Never played it before. Haven't played Rayman since the original on MS-DOS/PC. Going to enjoy the hell out of it.

It seems like the old version didn't have any form of subsurface scattering and the PS4 version will introduce that. Along with making the face feel rounder by removing the sharp edges (or better blending them in) around the lips, nose and ears. Or it may be just the new lighting they want to show off. Not sure about the eyes though. They seemed like their shape got changed and the actual eye did as well. I don't know if it is for the better.

The lighting, color grading and improved fidelity seems to be the biggest changes but I don't know how much has changed from the PC version on max settings.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

ImpAtom posted:

I was going to cave into this tax, but after learning it's only 30FPS it's definitely gently caress no now.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

I'm rubbish at platformers but I'm going for that one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ularg posted:

Not sure about the eyes though. They seemed like their shape got changed and the actual eye did as well. I don't know if it is for the better.

It is. The old ones were not good.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

I said come in! posted:

The only thing the PC version did better over the PS3 version was the hair physics.
The PC version had much higher res textures, better graphics effects and 60 fps. The same things that the PS4 version will have (minus the 60fps). They added a couple new graphics effects to the PS4 version, but nothing major. It's the PC version, slightly polished, at a lower framerate.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
30 fps is a bummer, but I might grab it just to have something to do with the ps4 for a bit, and to maybe do some mp in the month that it'll be active.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
In Japan, MGS:CZ costs the same on PS3 and PS4, and the jump in price to get a physical version is tiny ($23 VS $27). PS3 to PS4 digital upgrade is in for another $10 (who would use that?).

Why do we have to pay another ten to jump a console generation? Hmpf.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
So after doing last year's tax refund, I'm thinking about getting a PS4 very soon, but I was curious about one thing. My roommate is interested in sharing the system, and we both have our own PS3s already. Does the PS4 support importing multiple existing PSN accounts? If so, does it keep stuff like trophies, saved games and purchases separate?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MrLonghair posted:

In Japan, MGS:CZ costs the same on PS3 and PS4, and the jump in price to get a physical version is tiny ($23 VS $27). PS3 to PS4 digital upgrade is in for another $10 (who would use that?).

Why do we have to pay another ten to jump a console generation? Hmpf.

Because you will? Seriously the best way to stop this poo poo from happening is to not loving buy it, it'll get knocked down in price/you'll be able to pick up a used copy quick enough anyway.

Behonkiss posted:

So after doing last year's tax refund, I'm thinking about getting a PS4 very soon, but I was curious about one thing. My roommate is interested in sharing the system, and we both have our own PS3s already. Does the PS4 support importing multiple existing PSN accounts? If so, does it keep stuff like trophies, saved games and purchases separate?

Yes, yes, yes, no any user can use any other users purchases on the system (so not really a bad thing at all(they stay linked to the account that bought them though so yes))

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Behonkiss posted:

It supports multiple profiles just like the PS3 does.

It will keep them separate, but also allow either of you to use content owned by the other. Not saves, but I mean if you buy DLC the roommate can also use it (and vice versa.)

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

It supports multiple profiles just like the PS3 does.

It will keep them separate, but also allow either of you to use content owned by the other. Not saves, but I mean if you buy DLC the roommate can also use it (and vice versa.)

Thanks. That sounds ideal. If I was to move out and take the PS4 with me, though, would the roommate still be able to access stuff he purchased on his account if he bought his own console?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Behonkiss posted:

Thanks. That sounds ideal. If I was to move out and take the PS4 with me, though, would the roommate still be able to access stuff he purchased on his account if he bought his own console?

Yes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, you would just want to deactivate your PS4 as his account's primary before packing it up.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, you would just want to deactivate your PS4 as his account's primary before packing it up.

Anyone know how hard it is to fix this if you don't? I neglected to deactivate my PS4 when I sent it in for service, and now I can't activate the replacement.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Impossible on your own. You need to call Sony.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Wait Sony has a website where you can manage activations, they introduced it awhile back.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Wait Sony has a website where you can manage activations, they introduced it awhile back.

Apparently you can't do PS4 on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In Lego Marvel Super Heroes, how do I get the main quest nav point back? I was running around doing side missions and now I can't find it any more.

• Locked thread