Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

hatelull posted:

Can anyone recommend where to start with Superchunk?

Is it worth it to just start with the first LP and go forward?

First LP is worthless apart from the single Slack Motherfucker which is on the Tossing Seeds singles comp. Get the second LP No Pocky For Kitty and go forward from there. Things start to go sour around Indoor Living because they got old and slowed their music down too much but their past two LPs have been better than everything else since Here's Where The Strings Come In

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

hatelull posted:

Can anyone recommend where to start with Superchunk?

Is it worth it to just start with the first LP and go forward?

that's what i'd do.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
I can't believe this thread is still going.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Not so much where to start as where to go next, but I've been listening to a lot of Gary Moore's heavy rock discogrpahy from the 1980s and Ozzy Osbourne's solo albums with Randy Rhoads on guitar, so I'd like to know if anyone's aware of more obscure non-extreme metal bands and albums from, let's say, the late 1970s through to the early 1990s.

I'm familiar with most of the big names, so if anybody can think of any less well-known artists, that'd be pretty cool.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Try some of these:

Riot - Thundersteel
Brocas Helm - Into Battle
Crimson Glory - Crimson Glory
Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
Manilla Road - Open the Gates
Satan - Court in the Act
Mercyful Fate - Melissa

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

All good suggestions. Grim Reaper's "See You In Hell" is another one worth checking out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Further on my earlier post, what are good places to start with UFO and Michael Schenker?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Metal Loaf posted:

Further on my earlier post, what are good places to start with UFO and Michael Schenker?

If you're into live albums, I recommend starting with Strangers in the Night for UFO. If not, Lights Out and Phenomenon are probably the best places to start. For Michael Schenker/Group, my favorite album is Assault Attack (which has Graham Bonnett singing) but I know a lot of people are into MSG.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Strangers in the Night contains his absolute best guitar playing, but for studio work you can do worse than just going chronologically from Phenomenon, which is when he joined.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Where do I start with the Bee Gees?

All I really know from them is Staying Alive. But they seem interesting. Also the 2 different singer periods.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Cerepol posted:

Where do I start with the Bee Gees?

All I really know from them is Staying Alive. But they seem interesting. Also the 2 different singer periods.

Main Course is where they become the Bee Gees in their cheesy disco glory and the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack has their five best known songs. Spirits Have Flown has their ballads. I'm afraid I don't know too much about their non-disco music.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Reading this thread all the way through was a bit annoying (I swear some bands would come up every other page) but I did get nice list of stuff to check out. There was a Dead Can Dance question that I would have loved to have answered, but it was from like 5 years ago...

Anyway. Is there anything similar to Agoraphobic Nosebleed's half of The Poacher Diaries? From what I understand the band somewhat distanced itself from it since they thought it was more metal than grindcore or whatever.

Also, I'm wondering if I should bother with post-Siamese Dream Smashing Pumpkins. I like that album (other than Disarm, which I can't stand) but I don't particularly care for any of the Mellon Collie singles I've heard. I'll probably pick up Gish and Pisces Iscariot at some point.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mellon Collie is worth diving into even if you don't like the singles just because it's a huge and varied album. I do like Siamese Dream better but it's really solid.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Agreed, there is large opinion that MCIS has some serious bloat. If you venture into the Pumpkins thread you will find a lot of people have an opinion on how the album could best be trimmed into one cd. I'm not saying everything is great, but if you ignore it based on what singles you've heard you might miss out on a lot of really great deep cuts.

I really enjoy Adore, but expect a drastically different sound due to band drama. Machina and forward always sounds slightly more "robotic" to me, and that record especially seems like it was trying desperately to capture the sound that made MCIS so successful. You might enjoy the b-sides/unreleased stuff on Machina II though.

That sort of veers off into committed territory. For a better sample, seek out the Rotten Apples compilation. This was released in conjunction with their, at the time, final tour. It has a pretty decent sampling of the work pre-reunion. The version with the bonus disc Judas 0 has a great collection of b-sides that would take more effort to track down and find otherwise.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 25, 2014

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Ok, you guys convinced me to add Mellon Collie to "buy if I find a super cheap used copy" :)

Gary Numan - Up until about a week ago the only thing I knew about him was the song Cars. I picked up Splinter since it seemed to get universally positive reviews and I love it. I intend to start working backwards from here, but can someone give an overview of his career? I assume someone who has been around that long has been through a couple of eras.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

david_a posted:

Ok, you guys convinced me to add Mellon Collie to "buy if I find a super cheap used copy" :)

Gary Numan - Up until about a week ago the only thing I knew about him was the song Cars. I picked up Splinter since it seemed to get universally positive reviews and I love it. I intend to start working backwards from here, but can someone give an overview of his career? I assume someone who has been around that long has been through a couple of eras.

Listen to Replicas by Tubeway Army, which was Numan's band prior to going solo. It is one of the coolest loving albums of all time.

His stuff with Tubeway Army is generally a little punkier (think early DEVO) and aggressive than his solo stuff.

His solo album Pleasure Principle (which contains "Cars", and my personal favorite Numan tune "M.E.") is the perfect halfway between the aggression of Tubeway Army and his later, spacier solo stuff. His best album post-Pleasure Principle is Telekon, hands down.

For a good overview, I would listen to those albums in that order: Replicas, then Pleasure Principle, then Telekon.

EDIT: haha, I just realized those three albums came out one after another in the late 70s and early 80s. But that's just kind of how Numan's career is. Every album he made after Telekon in the 80s pretty much blows and his 90s albums also kind of blow. It's only as of late that he's starting to make worthwhile albums again.

I would definitely recommend starting with that trio I posted earlier, if you work your way backward from his most recent stuff you're going to hit a big ol' wall of garbage and burn yourself out before you get to the good poo poo.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 25, 2014

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Blast Fantasto posted:

I would definitely recommend starting with that trio I posted earlier, if you work your way backward from his most recent stuff you're going to hit a big ol' wall of garbage and burn yourself out before you get to the good poo poo.
When did he start releasing worthwhile stuff again? There was a recommendation earlier in the thread for Exile/Pure/Jagged.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

david_a posted:

You could always stream it on Spotify or something like that, too. It's done wonders for my selectivity.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Youtube too. In general, if whatever album you're looking for isn't super obscure, you can find either the full album or large parts of it on Youtube.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

david_a posted:

When did he start releasing worthwhile stuff again? There was a recommendation earlier in the thread for Exile/Pure/Jagged.

I would say that Exile is a good place to start again.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Jamiroquai?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Numan's "Jagged" has howevermany songs that sound pretty much the same, but it culminates in "Before You Hate It" which rules. I like the Sulphur remix especially: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwdFSz64lSo

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

alnilam posted:

Jamiroquai?

Travelling Without Moving. But I rate everything up to A Funk Odyssey . Earlier stuff is technically 'better' but the mid-period has more radio hits.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I will say that for Numan some of those post-Telekon albums ain't so bad. Dance has always been a favorite of mine and if you don't mind slap-synthbass and the backing vox some albums like Berserker are rather fun. But definitely check out his first four.

For the recent albums I think Splinter is probably the best he's done since The Pleasure Principle, I really do think it's magnificent and I am hoping it'll hold up years down the road. His most recent period, from Sacrifice on, are all good to great albums - but I think they suffer from a bit of sameness. Pure in particular strikes me as an album that has awesome sonics and overall good songwriting but he can't help himself from falling into the same quiet/loud/quiet/loud dynamic that makes the songs hard to pull apart. For the most part Splinter is diverse enough to be free of all that.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Everyone talks about Numan's WARRIORS album as being his all-time worst, however I think a lot of that comes from the absolutely idiotic cover art (ridiculous even by Numan's own lousy cover art standards)-- He's trying to butch it up by wearing Road Warrior-type studs 'n' leather, against a post-apocalyptic background. But instead of coming off tough, he's like a wimpy little kid running around in his superhero Underoos. It's so laughable that you're immediately biased against the album and likely to dismiss the whole package as worthless without even listening to it.

Music-wise, though, I don't think it's particularly worse than, say, I ASSASSIN or THE FURY... Yeah, I know, faint praise, but it's not as terrible as the STRANGE CHARM/OUTLAND/MACHINE AND SOUL trilogy of suck.

Also, if you're a fan of Bill Nelson, you'll probably enjoy WARRIORS more. He produced, plays some guitar and does a bit of singing; a couple of the tracks sound like they could have come off of one of Bill's own records. Bill had his name removed from the album credits because the boys had a falling out.

Gary Numan posted:

It seemed as though our reasons for even breathing were completely opposed to one another. At one point we were talking about why we were in the business...[Nelson] told me that all creative people pick up beams of inspiration from across the cosmos and we channel it into creative art and we do what we do for the people. I said, 'That's complete bollocks,' and it all went downhill from then on really, as we began to grate on each other quite badly.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

JAMOOOL posted:

For the recent albums I think Splinter is probably the best he's done since The Pleasure Principle, I really do think it's magnificent and I am hoping it'll hold up years down the road. His most recent period, from Sacrifice on, are all good to great albums - but I think they suffer from a bit of sameness. Pure in particular strikes me as an album that has awesome sonics and overall good songwriting but he can't help himself from falling into the same quiet/loud/quiet/loud dynamic that makes the songs hard to pull apart. For the most part Splinter is diverse enough to be free of all that.
Hmm yes, I think I read something to that effect in some reviews of Splinter (praising how that album doesn't do that). How is Dead Son Rising? The Wiki page concerns me a bit since it makes it sound like a bunch of warmed-up leftovers.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
The Posies?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Popcorn posted:

The Posies?

Frosting on the Beater

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Where do I start with Sunn O)))? I was going to try Monoliths and Dimensions, but I listened to the first minute and decided sitting at work is probably not the best environment to be listening to something this atmospheric. Did I pick a good one or should I go elsewhere?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Kumbamontu posted:

Where do I start with Sunn O)))? I was going to try Monoliths and Dimensions, but I listened to the first minute and decided sitting at work is probably not the best environment to be listening to something this atmospheric. Did I pick a good one or should I go elsewhere?

Personally 00 Void is my favourite starting point, and feels like Sunn0))) at their "purest" if you will, but maybe because that's where I started.
Monoliths and Dimensions is definitely a fine choice too.

FWIW I listen to various kinds of drone music at work all the time, but I could see it being a little distracting. If I'm reading/writing, time for some spacey drone. If I'm doing lab work, time for some mind-bending drone metal :black101:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Flight of the Behemoth is good, and much more traditional drone than some of their later works.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I think if you're not into drone already you might try starting with the collaboration they did with Boris, Altar. It's the only thing of theirs I was really able to get to like.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Kumbamontu posted:

The best way to get into and appreciate SUNN O))) is to go into a dark room, no light, no windows, and put on headphones. Just sit in the dark and listen. I did this with Black One and had visual nightmares. I'd say Black One or Monoliths are both good to start

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
I'm curious about Black Label Society. Zykk Wylde strikes me as a interesting character

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! :)

Polegrinder posted:

The best way to get into and appreciate SUNN O))) is to go into a dark room, no light, no windows, and put on headphones. Just sit in the dark and listen. I did this with Black One and had visual nightmares. I'd say Black One or Monoliths are both good to start

That's my plan, and is what I meant by not really being in the right frame of mind while trying to listen to Monoliths. Too many lights and distractions at work for me to truly get into the groove.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Can anyone tell me about The Motet?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fear Factory

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

LordPants posted:

Fear Factory

Demanufacture is probably their most popular album, and for good reason.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Demanufacture and Archetype are great, the two studio records that follow Demanufacture (Obsolete, Digimortal) and Archetype (Transgression, Mechanize) are meh-to-pretty-good. Anything else is only for the hardcore fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

I'm curious about Black Label Society. Zykk Wylde strikes me as a interesting character

Zakk Wylde is GBS as gently caress. That being said, Sonic Brew is probably their best regarded album and also their chronological first, so start there, probably. There's also Pride and Glory, his first attempt at fronting a band, and No More Tears, his best album with Ozzy (and the last one before he started out on the Pride and Glory/BLS trip).