Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Radio Talmudist posted:

Is there a way to quickly change the default sound device on a PC?

I ask because my PC is hooked up to my 42" LG HDTV, which I use to watch movies/netflix off my gaming rig. I have to switch between devices in the control panel everytime.

Is there a way to automate this, or a program that allows me to quickly and easily change the default device from the TV to my PC speakers, and vice-versa?

If you set the TV as your default device and it doesn't find it (TV's off, probably if you're using a different input on your TV), it should automatically switch to a different audio device. That was my experience with Windows 7 and hooking my PC up to my TV through HDMI, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have the same problem where I switch between speakers, headphones, and my TV as an HDMI/Audio source all the time. I just right click the speaker icon => set as default, but I'd love something I could just toggle.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Some goon wrote a little program called SoundSwap awhile ago but Google is failing me on trying to find it. It would basically let you bind it to a keystroke or action. I've also done the same thing in Eventghost before.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Radio Talmudist posted:

I ask because my PC is hooked up to my 42" LG HDTV, which I use to watch movies/netflix off my gaming rig. I have to switch between devices in the control panel everytime.

Is there a way to automate this, or a program that allows me to quickly and easily change the default device from the TV to my PC speakers, and vice-versa?

Right click on the little speaker icon on your start bar.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Radio Talmudist posted:

This is what you're looking

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

dimmlight posted:

Amplifier won't help too much if the initial signal is not strong enough. They are good for long cable runs to stop signal degradation. Check with tvfool.com to find out what channels you should get with what type of antenna. Then try to find the optimal placement. Sorry this is vague, but antenna placement is very specific to any situation. Outside and high are best, but sometimes you can get away with inside ground floor if you are in the right spot.

That's not vague at all, thanks all of you for your advice it's exactly the info I was looking for. :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I haven't seen it mentioned recently, but it was pointed out to me a few months ago and I want to make sure I share. If you use Hulu+ to get your shows, you can get it for free with minimal work with Bing rewards through Microsoft. Essentially, you do 30 searches a day with Bing and click some random pages here and there and you get enough credits to get a free Hulu+ membership every month. This is whether you do "legit" searches for stuff you're actually looking for, OR just search for something, then tab-click the "related searches" that pop up, rinse repeat til you hit 30...generally takes me under a minute a day to get my points. You can get a $5 Amazon gift card every month if you do it, or a Hulu membership, which is a better way. I included my referral link but feel free to just go to Bing and not use it, I just wanted to get the word out there. :)

dimmlight
Aug 24, 2004

Comfortador posted:

That's not vague at all, thanks all of you for your advice it's exactly the info I was looking for. :)

Glad it was helpful. Also my favorite free antenna is this homemade one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw It gets VHF and UHF and picks up very well for me at roughly 35 miles from Cleveland. You just need a few wire coat hangers, a bulan, some washers and screws and sandpaper. the video is very step by step how its made style.

Harsh Tokerman
Oct 25, 2004

dimmlight posted:

Glad it was helpful. Also my favorite free antenna is this homemade one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw It gets VHF and UHF and picks up very well for me at roughly 35 miles from Cleveland. You just need a few wire coat hangers, a bulan, some washers and screws and sandpaper. the video is very step by step how its made style.

It's worth trying to make an antenna from whatever you have lying around before you buy something else. I was just using whatever free channels still went through my cable line, but it wouldn't work with my tv's guide so I made a quick one from the one wire coat hanger I could find in the house, and I was able to pick up stations 50 miles away in Bloomington. I made it fairly ugly since I ended up hiding it behind curtains, but you can easily make them in a size that can hide behind a picture frame or something if you can't/don't want to mount it higher up in an attic and don't want to see a bunch of coat hangers, as long as it can still pick up the signals you need in that spot.

I also read about people using coax cable in a circle of a specific diameter for hard to reach channels, but it seemed like it'd be ugly and a lot of calculating. I just looked for the simplest one involving one hanger and it ended up working perfectly. Just cut out the hook part, and bend the rest into this shape:

Connect a balun/matching transformer to it, and you're good to go!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Harsh Tokerman posted:

It's worth trying to make an antenna from whatever you have lying around before you buy something else. I was just using whatever free channels still went through my cable line, but it wouldn't work with my tv's guide so I made a quick one from the one wire coat hanger I could find in the house, and I was able to pick up stations 50 miles away in Bloomington. I made it fairly ugly since I ended up hiding it behind curtains, but you can easily make them in a size that can hide behind a picture frame or something if you can't/don't want to mount it higher up in an attic and don't want to see a bunch of coat hangers, as long as it can still pick up the signals you need in that spot.

I also read about people using coax cable in a circle of a specific diameter for hard to reach channels, but it seemed like it'd be ugly and a lot of calculating. I just looked for the simplest one involving one hanger and it ended up working perfectly. Just cut out the hook part, and bend the rest into this shape:

Connect a balun/matching transformer to it, and you're good to go!

I like how you have a nice, sleek looking modern TV setup with a janky rear end antenna connected to it.

Harsh Tokerman
Oct 25, 2004

teagone posted:

I like how you have a nice, sleek looking modern TV setup with a janky rear end antenna connected to it.

I wasn't going to hide it behind the curtains until I made sure it worked! It's not visible normally, I just took the photo to show the shape of the coat hanger. It's sitting in a cup there with a prescription bottle full of pennies to keep it from tipping over.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I think its quite endearing, actually.

My fiance would kill me though if I put up something like that.

Thankfully Comcast in my area hasn't encrypted the QAM channels, so I'm good.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
My girlfriend cut the cable this year but she wants the Olympics. The only thing is that she wants it on the TV and doesn't want to watch it on the laptop. Are there any options other than cable for this that aren't :filez: territory? I go to the bars or a friends house for sports and don't watch the Olympics so I'm not sure if there is a Roku channel or something for this.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

The Gunslinger posted:

My girlfriend cut the cable this year but she wants the Olympics. The only thing is that she wants it on the TV and doesn't want to watch it on the laptop. Are there any options other than cable for this that aren't :filez: territory? I go to the bars or a friends house for sports and don't watch the Olympics so I'm not sure if there is a Roku channel or something for this.

I'm assuming you're in the US? Without a cable TV login and the ability to hook a PC up to the TV, you are a kidn of out of luck.

http://mashable.com/2014/01/08/winter-olympics-2014-online/

Can you just hook up an antenna and pick up your local NBC affiliate?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Maneki Neko posted:

I'm assuming you're in the US? Without a cable TV login and the ability to hook a PC up to the TV, you are a kidn of out of luck.

http://mashable.com/2014/01/08/winter-olympics-2014-online/

Can you just hook up an antenna and pick up your local NBC affiliate?

We're in Canada and rabbit ears are a no go unfortunately, she's in this weird valley and needs a retardedly powerful antenna to get anything.

I can hook a PC up to the TV though but I thought there were stupid time limits on streaming and etc.

Hmm she does have unblock-us for Netflix so maybe that would work with the BBC thing in your link, I'll have to check that out thanks.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 20, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
She should get together with some of her neighbors and rent space on a local broadcast antenna on a nearby hill. Install the antenna there, then have cables run to the houses (might be pricey but it's a long term solution) et voilá! Reception for all.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

She should get together with some of her neighbors and rent space on a local broadcast antenna on a nearby hill. Install the antenna there, then have cables run to the houses (might be pricey but it's a long term solution) et voilá! Reception for all.

She's near a conservation area so that's impossible unfortunately, the conservation authority barely lets people put an extension on their homes.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

This is totally a valid solution to watch something that comes on in 3 weeks.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

This is exactly how cable tv came to be.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Put a satellite dish on that hill, then charge all of the neighbors a subscription fee to run a hookup to their house.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Brock Landers posted:

This is exactly how cable tv came to be.

Sounds basically like Aero. Do you have a source for this? I'd like to read about the history of cable.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Sounds basically like Aero. Do you have a source for this? I'd like to read about the history of cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_television_in_the_United_States

John Walson[edit]
It is claimed that the first system was created in 1948 in Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania by John Walson to provide television signals to people who bought sets from his appliance store in Mahanoy City, charging $100 per hookup and $2 per month.[8] Mahanoy City was ideally suited for CATV services, since broadcast television signals could easily be received via mountaintop antennas and retransmitted by "twin-lead" or "ladder-lead" cable to the valley community below (where broadcast reception was very poor). Walson's "first" claim is highly disputed, however, since his claimed starting date cannot be verified.[9] It should be noted, however, that the US Congress and the National Cable Television Association have recognized Walson as having invented cable television in the spring of 1948.[8]

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Medullah posted:

I haven't seen it mentioned recently, but it was pointed out to me a few months ago and I want to make sure I share. If you use Hulu+ to get your shows, you can get it for free with minimal work with Bing rewards through Microsoft. Essentially, you do 30 searches a day with Bing and click some random pages here and there and you get enough credits to get a free Hulu+ membership every month. This is whether you do "legit" searches for stuff you're actually looking for, OR just search for something, then tab-click the "related searches" that pop up, rinse repeat til you hit 30...generally takes me under a minute a day to get my points. You can get a $5 Amazon gift card every month if you do it, or a Hulu membership, which is a better way. I included my referral link but feel free to just go to Bing and not use it, I just wanted to get the word out there. :)

How does this work after you hit your goal with BING? Do they give you a code you enter in the Hulu Plus website? Do you already need a Hulu+ account for this? Does Hulu+ just not charge your credit card every month since you have a month added on from Bing?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ShadowStalker posted:

How does this work after you hit your goal with BING? Do they give you a code you enter in the Hulu Plus website? Do you already need a Hulu+ account for this? Does Hulu+ just not charge your credit card every month since you have a month added on from Bing?

You cash in your points.
Microsoft emails you a code.
You go to a special section on Hulu.
Input code.
Get credited a month of service to the account you're signed into.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Does anyone use a TiVo + antenna? Is it worth it?

I'd like an on screen guide for the dozen or so channels I get, and dvr functionality would be great.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mahoning posted:

I'd like an on screen guide for the dozen or so channels I get, and dvr functionality would be great.

Depending on how skilled you are, you could build a cheap HTPC and run windows 7/8 and WMC. It may cost a bit more up front but you wont be paying $15/m for the program guide.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Mahoning posted:

Thinking really hard of getting the basic Roamio next month or in March when my DirecTV contract is up. Bought the Simple.TV to test it, and getting a hard drive to recognize it is tough. Didn't really care for it, and tried building a HTPC with the HDHomerun I already have. WAF was low, so I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting the Tivo with the lifetime code.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mahoning posted:

I used a Tivo + antenna for a year. It was pretty great, but ultimately still hurt to pay $15 bucks a month for something I didn't even use that much.

Lately i've seriously been looking at the Channel Master DVR+ :

http://www.channelmaster.com/Products_s/329.htm

It's basically a 2-tuner DVR for OTA broadcasts with on screen guide, but no monthly fee. $250 is a bit steep for me right now for a luxury item like that, but if it ever comes down in price, I'd be all over it.

geera
May 20, 2003
Is Plex + the PlexConnect hack still the best way to get movie files to play on an AppleTV? I've been thinking about ripping some of my DVDs to an external hard drive on my iMac so they're easy for my wife to access whenever she wants, but I don't want to import them in to iTunes.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm not sure, but Plex + Chromecast is the greatest goddamn thing ever.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
We cut cable last week and don't really miss it. I'd love to get one device that offers Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Network Video Support, and Antennae feeds all in one box so there's no switching inputs. Anybody found anything like that?

The closest I found is the Roku 3 with Plex but that doesn't support antennae feeds. There are rumors that the soon to be released HDHomerun product will get some type of channel for the Roku 3.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

ShadowStalker posted:

We cut cable last week and don't really miss it. I'd love to get one device that offers Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Network Video Support, and Antennae feeds all in one box so there's no switching inputs. Anybody found anything like that?

The closest I found is the Roku 3 with Plex but that doesn't support antennae feeds. There are rumors that the soon to be released HDHomerun product will get some type of channel for the Roku 3.

That's a tough nut to crack. Alternatively, you could get a Logitech remote which can switch inputs/everything quickly for you at the touch of a button. Then you just need to plug an antenna into your TV's coax port.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
My setup is Roku + Plex, PS3, and HD antenna if needed. I never use the HD antenna though.

Harsh Tokerman
Oct 25, 2004

ShadowStalker posted:

I was due for a new tv and was looking for something similar since I wanted to get rid of my HTPC if possible, and ended up getting a smart tv that does all of that pretty well and has a fairly snappy interface. This Samsung was what I ended up getting. It's more expensive than a separate box but my old tv's film was bubbling so I had to get a tv anyway.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I am sad to report that it seems like Comcast has officially killed ClearQAM in Miami-Dade county.

loving suck cause I can't good reception anywhere.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Is aereo an option for you? If its available that would eliminate an HD antennae

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Photex posted:

Is aereo an option for you? If its available that would eliminate an HD antennae

No, but can't you just sign up as living in an area that's covered?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'd like some sort of device that can output 1080 class video over HDMI and run VLC for under $125... does this exist?

The closest device I can find "new" is a refurb Acer C7 chromebook with intel processor for about $175-190.. and I'm not sure that could handle 1080 VLC video

Chromecast w/Netflix is pretty great but my roommate ends up watching "TV" on his laptop because you can only do Hulu Plus on the Chromecast, also Chromecast can't do VLC (yet)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't think VLC is even supported on Chromebooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Why vlc and not xbmc