Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The best thing about 4th edition was dropping the fantasy equivalent of a nuclear apocalypse on FR and stripping Elminster of almost all of his power. I'm sure the novels didn't get any better, and it's probably been walked back by this point, but at least it angered all the right people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I used to enjoy FR lore so when 4E hit, even though I hadn't played D&D in years, I tried to learn about the changes that were brought to the setting - but the spellplague is just so drat boring and generic. "Goddess of magic died. Again. Magic goes crazy and some countries blow up. Again." is a really lazy shake-up prompt compared to "the gods are punished for their hubris by God and condemned to walk the Earth as mortals".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's the kind of stuff that happens when you replace one system with another that has superficial similarities at best and feel you absolutely must reflect this change in fiction as well.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lurdiak posted:

The best thing about 4th edition was dropping the fantasy equivalent of a nuclear apocalypse on FR and stripping Elminster of almost all of his power. I'm sure the novels didn't get any better, and it's probably been walked back by this point, but at least it angered all the right people.

Now the novels try to work in that the characters have 4e powers and it's especially bumbling and awkward for the warrior types.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I'm probably going to get poo poo on for bringing this up, but I always hated that Fighter-types never got ridiculous powers on par with Wizards in base 3/3.5E. When you think of mythical fighter types, you always think of guys like Hercules, Beowulf, and Achilles. Yes, the best ones invariably had some sort of magic helping them out, but these guys codified what a fighter was.

I see no reason, in a game where high level wizards can stop time and make literal wishes, why a high level fighter shouldn't have mechanics and abilities that allow him to manually divert rivers, crush mountains underfoot, and be near-invulnerable to physical assault even in minimal armor.

Why is it so hard for some D&D players to accept fighters that can do more than full attack every round? Tome of Battle was awesome because it gave fighters the ability to do these things yet those people seem to hate it with every ounce of their souls. (That's not even opening the 4E can of worms, which put everyone on equal footing by making everyone work off the same ability system.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Zonekeeper posted:

I'm probably going to get poo poo on for bringing this up, but I always hated that Fighter-types never got ridiculous powers on par with Wizards in base 3/3.5E. When you think of mythical fighter types, you always think of guys like Hercules, Beowulf, and Achilles. Yes, the best ones invariably had some sort of magic helping them out, but these guys codified what a fighter was.

I see no reason, in a game where high level wizards can stop time and make literal wishes, why a high level fighter shouldn't have mechanics and abilities that allow him to manually divert rivers, crush mountains underfoot, and be near-invulnerable to physical assault even in minimal armor.

Why is it so hard for some D&D players to accept fighters that can do more than full attack every round? Tome of Battle was awesome because it gave fighters the ability to do these things yet those people seem to hate it with every ounce of their souls. (That's not even opening the 4E can of worms, which put everyone on equal footing by making everyone work off the same ability system.)

My guess is that these games are played by a lot of pencil-necked geeks who were oppressed by athletes in school, and they want to believe magic is infinitely mightier than muscle. :)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What it boils down to is that people have a frame of reference for what actual people can physically do and want their games to be far less about imagination and fantastic deeds than they're prepared to admit. It doesn't help that apparently some of the designers based things like "how quickly can you draw and throw an object" on their own performance, i.e. they'd actually time themselves doing it and base the rules around it, so what a fighter can do more often than not is based not on "what a mythical hero can do" or "what a professional athlete can do" but "what a man who writes game systems for a living can do." Meanwhile magic is by definition "whatever you can imagine just find a way to put it in numbers."

e: ^^^ and that too.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

prefect posted:

My guess is that these games are played by a lot of pencil-necked geeks who were oppressed by athletes in school, and they want to believe magic is infinitely mightier than muscle. :)

See also: "why do dirty rogues get more skill points that intellectual wizards?"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I think it's because it's hard to turn "move a river" into a dice roll.

Also the Hulking Hurler is a fighter type and he can do infinite damage and hurl planets literally thousands of d6s of damage and hurl castle walls. So you can have your cake and eat it too I suppose.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 20, 2014

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Also the Hulking Hurler is a fighter type and he can do infinite damage and hurl planets. So you can have your cake and eat it too I suppose.

Hulking Hurler is a one trick pony limited to Large characters though. Tome of Battle's maneuvers give you abilities that let you ignore hardness on inanimate objects, temporarily gain DR, and bear hug an opponent to death when you grapple them, among other things. (and that's just limiting myself to the Stone Dragon school) That's the kind of thing I'm after. Feats of strength that aren't just "I hit him with my sword again."

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

My Lovely Horse posted:

What it boils down to is that people have a frame of reference for what actual people can physically do and want their games to be far less about imagination and fantastic deeds than they're prepared to admit. It doesn't help that apparently some of the designers based things like "how quickly can you draw and throw an object" on their own performance, i.e. they'd actually time themselves doing it and base the rules around it, so what a fighter can do more often than not is based not on "what a mythical hero can do" or "what a professional athlete can do" but "what a man who writes game systems for a living can do." Meanwhile magic is by definition "whatever you can imagine just find a way to put it in numbers."

e: ^^^ and that too.

I always figured that it came from D&D's wargame origin. You play single scenario's (read dungeons) that you more or less finish in one or two sessions, so that magical characters do not have as much time refreshing their spell slots. So a martial character can consistently deal out mediocre damage, while a wizard can do amazing things, but only a set number of times during an adventure.

Of course, this is completely thrown off balance , due to the fact that a wizards spell slots basically determine the parties resting schedule and that all the subsequent additions warped magic from a more powerful tool to do magic into a reality warping superpower.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zonekeeper posted:

Hulking Hurler is a one trick pony limited to Large characters though. Tome of Battle's maneuvers give you abilities that let you ignore hardness on inanimate objects, temporarily gain DR, and bear hug an opponent to death when you grapple them, among other things. (and that's just limiting myself to the Stone Dragon school) That's the kind of thing I'm after. Feats of strength that aren't just "I hit him with my sword again."

I like Tome of Battle, but everything in there is really just a wizard that happens to be holding a sword.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Who What Now posted:

I like Tome of Battle, but everything in there is really just a wizard that happens to be holding a sword.

If you're going to reduce the argument to that, then Clerics are just wizards that can cast heal spells, and Druids are wizards that can cast spells as a bear. Bards, Rangers, and Paladins are Wizards with limited casting capability. Spells are spells no matter who is casting them; what makes them different is the flavor justification. How do you propose they differentiate ToB maneuvers from "magic" without making them horrifically weak or broken in comparison?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Superman is a wizard. Batman is also a wizard.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Cat Mattress posted:

I played a wizard once where I made it very clear that my scorching ray spells were being cast out of my eyes. Then I crafted goggles of scorching ray, just to drive the point home. I didn't have Fly yet, but I had boots of spider-climbing so I stuck to walls and fired my lasers. Also, mirror images, so I had a pack of wizards running up walls and firing lasers out of their eyes.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cat Mattress posted:

There's precedent for that kind of thing.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

prefect posted:

There's precedent for that kind of thing.

Colour-coded American continent.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

DoctorTristan posted:

Colour-coded American continent.

Sporting Bolivian flag colors, no less.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NihilCredo posted:

I used to enjoy FR lore so when 4E hit, even though I hadn't played D&D in years, I tried to learn about the changes that were brought to the setting - but the spellplague is just so drat boring and generic. "Goddess of magic died. Again. Magic goes crazy and some countries blow up. Again." is a really lazy shake-up prompt compared to "the gods are punished for their hubris by God and condemned to walk the Earth as mortals".

Filling the world with 200 more NPC's that are better than you at everything (tm) is honestly the worst thing you could have possibly done to FR so I'm not sure why you think it's better than "No seriously gently caress Elimister".

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zonekeeper posted:

If you're going to reduce the argument to that, then Clerics are just wizards that can cast heal spells, and Druids are wizards that can cast spells as a bear. Bards, Rangers, and Paladins are Wizards with limited casting capability.

Pretty much, yeah. And I don't see a problem with that.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Who What Now posted:

No reason for it to be a dice roll. Just give them the ability to rearrange the landscape once per day, let them move a river or a mountain or whatever without rolling anything.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

A.o.D. posted:

Sporting Bolivian flag colors, no less.

Traffic-light warnings for risk of encountering communists.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Filling the world with 200 more NPC's that are better than you at everything (tm) is honestly the worst thing you could have possibly done to FR so I'm not sure why you think it's better than "No seriously gently caress Elimister".

This is the kind of talk you only get from someone who hasn't been subjected to enough fiction about Elminster's wrinkly rear end loving Mystra and loving Mystra's daughters and loving his assistant and god knows what else.

I seem to recall a Lich slathering a naked maiden in barbecue sauce in Elminster in Hell or something

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

There were already 200 NPCs better than the PCs at their jobs before 4e anyways, so...?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It is KIND of funny that a lot of the problems people have with 3E/3.5E/4E/Whatever are lore and fluff based things that can be changed by the DM wiggling their fingers a bit.

Not that that makes them not bad, I always enjoy a good Elminster scoffing

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is the kind of talk you only get from someone who hasn't been subjected to enough fiction about Elminster's wrinkly rear end loving Mystra and loving Mystra's daughters and loving his assistant and god knows what else.
Can we please go back to discussing Inner planar Slam vs Jam because this derail is going bad places :(

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Somethingawful.com forums poster JdCorley did an awesome (and sadly incomplete) thread on rpg.net of adventure seeds around the Forgotten Realms.

Oh, and the First Invitational Kill Elminster thread is worth a read, too, not least for the ever-more-autistic lengths the OP goes to stop thread posters from succeeding.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Somethingawful.com forums poster JdCorley did an awesome (and sadly incomplete) thread on rpg.net of adventure seeds around the Forgotten Realms.

Hah, thanks for the link. And this is quite relevant:

quote:

Actually the real Elminster whiners are those that aren't his fans. Every time "what's the matter with the Forgotten Realms anyway?" comes up there's a huge long line of people with a bunch of time cards marked "Elminster", like in a cartoon, they walk up, shove the card in the slot and pull the lever marked "Post Reply". I've never seen one idiotic, easy-to-write-off, useless-as-poo poo NPC get more dumbass "he's ruining the setting!" things written about him. Not even Samuel Haight or the Harlequin. Then when someone says "well, if you're sensible, you don't have him show up in every adventure" everyone with their time card yells "YOU'RE NOT PLAYING FORGOTTEN REALMS!!" as if playing sensibly were somehow not allowed.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NihilCredo posted:

Hah, thanks for the link. And this is quite relevant:

I drunkenly bought Corley an av for doing that. The adventure ideas are full of little gems like:

quote:

Page 14: the retreat to Evermeet and some elves' return

Ah, Evermeet. When you're as pretty as your group of all-elf mid-level heroes, it's a welcome place to get away from the hurly burly world of those fast-moving, fast-living (but admittedly rocking in bed) humans. And the stinky dwarves. But after a hundred years of war against Tharios The Dread, it was sort of weird to have him show up on Evermeet and profess to have stopped his vile attempts to take over civilization. It was weird for the first few decades anyway, but then you let your guard down and before you knew it, you and Tharios the Dread were yucking it up with tales of the old days.

And then he poisoned the poo poo out of you, stole your cool elven magic crap and ran like gently caress back for the land of the humans, having gotten all your secrets out of you. Now the families of your old buddies are in jeopardy, everything you swore to protect is on the line, your treasure caches are in the hands of your dire enemy and all because that little ratfucker faked it.

END HIM.

quote:

p. 22 - instruments of Faerun, including the wargong, made from the shields of fallen enemies

Controversy rocks Waterdeep as the avante garde Harpreet Theater Company over their new production of the classic "War Against The Horde". They've inverted the story to be one that depicts highly favored heroes as drunken louts and orcs as misunderstood noble warriors. What makes this impolitic production even more outrageous is the use of actual shields from the war as the wargong basis for the spectacular musical number "Charge of the Raiders". The worst part? It's an amazingly good production. As veterans of the war protest outside and connossieurs of music and art flock to the theater, the worst occurs - a faction of half-orc descendants of the rapes that occurred in the Horde wars demands the return of the shields of their ancestors. Your weedy aristocratic PCs are caught in the middle of it - they're all investors in the Theater, but their business interests are threatened by the expanding conflict. Can they reconcile all of the battling factions without losing their shirts? And what about the crush that the lead develops on one of the PCs? The histrionics of the orchaestra leader? And how do you choreograph a dance with both halflings and half-elves on the stage at once? If you draw a straight line between every Mickey Rooney "let's put on a show" movie ever made, "Shakespeare In Love", and "The Producers", you reach the Harpreet Theater Company and this crazy adventure.

quote:

p.27 Sorcerers can have octopus familiars

Himomis, chaotic good male elf sorcerer
Sorcerer 4
Size M (5 ft., 1 in. tall);
hp 16;
Init +3 (+3 Dex);
AC 13 (+3 Dex);
Attack +0 melee, or +5 ranged;
SV Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +3;
Str 6, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 15, Wis 9, Cha 16.

Languages Spoken: Common, Draconic, Elven, Aquatic.

Skills and feats: Concentration +9, Craft +8, Hide +3, Listen +1, Move silently +3, Profession (fence) +4, Ride +5, Scry +8, Search +4, Spot +1; Extend spell, Familiar.

Sorcerer Spells Known (6/7/4): 0th -- Dancing Lights, Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Ray of Frost, Read Magic. 1st -- Charm Person, Mage Armor, Shield. 2nd -- Invisibility.

It's a hard knock life being a guy with an octopus for a familiar, particularly one with a curse. You have to carry this bucket around with you everywhere you go, and on certain inauspicious days, it grows to enormous size and starts eating everyone. It's gross when it puts its little suckers on you. It's particularly galling since your little sister named him "Splat" after the sound he made when she tipped him out of his bucket. So now you walk the earth trying to find a cure for Splat's curse, suffering the barbs and vicious remarks of more suave and cool adventurers like the PCs.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I liked how Baldur's Gate used Elminster, where he showed up early on to play Mysterious Mentor and point you in the right direction, then dropped off the face of the earth only to pop up again much later and talk about how badass you were now, he wasn't even sure he could take you.

Just... have Elminster doing other poo poo. Gandalf pulled that all the time, it's a classic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Gee, I sure hope Rich is this derail is stupid.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

On a scale of one to Alice from the RE movies where does Elminster fall on the Mary Sue scale?

Somewhere like Drizzt where the worse part isn't the character itself but more the people ripping it off? Like, sure he has problems, but he isn't as terrible as people make him out, he just inspires terrible things.

Or something OoTS related, that's good too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

xanthan posted:

On a scale of one to Alice from the RE movies where does Elminster fall on the Mary Sue scale?

quote:

Elminster's Evasion is a special, wish-powered, chain contingency that Elminster has active on him at all times, canonically.

It *bamfs* him off to a special extradimensional safehold where he can rest up, or be re-rezzed, if he's ever having a bad day. The *bamfing* also sends a magical message to the Simbul and one other Chosen, telling them that he's had to bail out of something nasty and to get over to the Safehold and reinforce him immediately.

The six trigger points for the contingency are:

1. His death
2. The loss of his mental faculties (sleep, feeblemind, etc.)
3. The loss of his physical faculties (paralyzation, petrifaction, etc.)
4. The destruction of both upper limbs
5. The destruction of his total body volume
6. His uttering the command word (i.e. -- voluntary trigger)
utterance of the word “Thaele.”

Immunities: Elminster is, by virtue of his nature as a Chosen of Mystra, immune to:

* Aging (edit -- *and* he has no maximum age. He is immortal, at least in the will 'never die of natural causes, ever' sense.)
* Disease
* Disintegration
* Poison
* Sleep

Silver Fire: Elminster may call upon the Silver Fire of Mystra for any one of these effects at a time, once per round, without using an action. All effects are as if cast by a 20th-level sorcerer, where applicable

* Duplicate the effect of a Ring of Warmth.
* Duplicate the efefct of a Ring of Mind Shielding.
* Banish all external magical compulsions upon the wearer as per Greater Dispelling.
* Function without food or drink for up to 7 days out of a tenday.
* Dispel a dead magic zone or antimagic shell, permanently (this effect may be used only once every 70 minutes).
:goonsay:

The 'kill Elminster' thread (which that quote's from) is a good read if you want to see for yourself.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 21, 2014

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So shove a wad of cotton in Elminster's mouth, chop off one arm and both legs, and leave him in a room somewhere.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I wonder how they settled on exactly 70 minutes' cooldown for the Weave-repair effect. Not an hour, 70 minutes.

Anyway, worth noting that that fancy escape clause isn't really much stronger than anything a regular 20-something-level wizard should be able to pull off. As far as custom spells go, "hey DM, I want to make a chain contingency variant that has a few extra triggers but only casts two spells, and one of them is sending" is about as dull as it gets.

To return on topic, this puts things in perspective about how much Rich is gimping spellcasters in his comic (preempting any nerdrage: anditmakesforabetterstoryIamokaywithit), because Xykon is impulsive and V is arrogant, but Dorukan was definitely the type to set up some precautions along those lines.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Archenteron posted:

So shove a wad of cotton in Elminster's mouth, chop off one arm and both legs, and leave him in a room somewhere.

One of the better entries:

quote:

So there you have it. Elminster is stuck forever, unaging, not needing air or sustenance, and accruing subdual damage for the rest of time, inside a Portable Hole inside a small lead box inside a Portable Hole that is "lost forever".

NihilCredo posted:

To return on topic, this puts things in perspective about how much Rich is gimping spellcasters in his comic (preempting any nerdrage: anditmakesforabetterstoryIamokaywithit), because Xykon is impulsive and V is arrogant, but Dorukan was definitely the type to set up some precautions along those lines.

Notice that he has set up a pre-cooked rationale for V to not get involved in a given fight because he's worried about the Fiends whipping him out. And Durkon being evil is another one. In both cases there is an interesting way for him to avoid having the spell casters fix everything.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 21, 2014

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

xanthan posted:

Somewhere like Drizzt where the worse part isn't the character itself but more the people ripping it off? Like, sure he has problems, but he isn't as terrible as people make him out, he just inspires terrible things.

Or something OoTS related, that's good too.

High five fellow Drizzt fan! Say what you will Salvetore is willing to take the character places; and spoilers for the latest book Kills him off because of a bad fight with his psychotic girl friends. :(

At least its implied its because his goddess is swooping him and his old friends to help her fix the Weave or something.

Ultimately Drizzt serves a good niche where he's a relatively mid level adventurer that does literally 99% of All of Forgotten Realms philosophical navel gazing; its not the most profound but its more than any other author suggests.

re: Elminster, I actually had a game where I argued that a min-maxed 20 wizard (Incantatar) without using cheese could beat Elminster. I think it came down to the CR 71 Hekatoncheries (That I summoned via its Simulcrum) and Elminster wrestling with the game stopping due to rules lawyering. I argued that no, Elminster cannot transform/shapechange into an massive cube inanimate object as it had to be a non unique creature.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 21, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Zonekeeper posted:

The people I played with had no problem with it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Who What Now posted:

Now the novels try to work in that the characters have 4e powers and it's especially bumbling and awkward for the warrior types.

That sounds incredibly misguided considering the point of 4e martial powers was conveying that non-casters can do incredible feats in a way that was clearly codified through gameplay, not setting up some strange world where people learn fighting skills like they were vancian spellcasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Yeah the whole point is your just have flashy/fancy sword/halberd/whatever techniques you picked up because you're a huge badass with a sword/halberd/flail/whatever.

If the books are treating it like invoking a specific power I don't even know what to say.