Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
In the comments to the original post, one of the kids says he/she worked full-time while going to college. Later, he/she also admits it wasn't the easiest childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
My grandmother had 12 kids, my family on that side is now getting around 50 people. We manage to all get in the same place at least once every 5 years and make a new family photo. I don't know what the hell they're doing that they can't manage that, especially given their apparent affluence, but it sure doesn't sound like a tight knit family.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

My grandmother had 12 kids, my family on that side is now getting around 50 people. We manage to all get in the same place at least once every 5 years and make a new family photo. I don't know what the hell they're doing that they can't manage that, especially given their apparent affluence, but it sure doesn't sound like a tight knit family.

Well the guy sounds like an rear end in a top hat, he makes a point that they wouldn't even help pay for weddings, I'm sure the kids just make excuses to not see their parents.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

KomradeX posted:

Well the guy sounds like an rear end in a top hat, he makes a point that they wouldn't even help pay for weddings, I'm sure the kids just make excuses to not see their parents.

The parents sound like the people making Freep posts of "I wish my kids would visit more often"

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Exactly what I'm thinking, they drove their kids away and ate justifying their I would say mean spirited parenting. The no picky eaters thing I thought was just really goddamn weird thing.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Armyman25 posted:

My sister-in-law posted this on Facebook. It's either STDH.txt or poo poo that's easy to do if you are wealthy.

http://qz.com/165716/how-i-made-sure-all-12-of-my-kids-could-pay-for-college-themselves/

Guy ran his family like a business -- what a miserable existence. "Kids, if you don't get your numbers up I'm withholding love for the remainder of the fiscal year!"

I also enjoyed the sentiment that they willed food allergies away by being strict.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
The guy would be a complete rear end in a top hat if not for this little part.

quote:

The kids each got their own computer, but had to build it. I bought the processor, memory, power supply, case, keyboard, hard drive, motherboard, and mouse. They had to put it together and load the software on. This started when they were 12.

If I were this dude's kid this probably would have been the only enjoyable moment of my childhood.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

bobservo posted:

Guy ran his family like a business -- what a miserable existence. "Kids, if you don't get your numbers up I'm withholding love for the remainder of the fiscal year!"

I also enjoyed the sentiment that they willed food allergies away by being strict.

Well, they started with 16 kids you see...

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I also have the feeling that this was written in the most positive light. What's left out is probably lots of "You are doing it wrong, stupid" and "God hates you", as well as oodles of beatings.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
How does a kid have time to rebuild a car completely while doing all that other stuff? The whole editorial is thinly veiled bragging.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Twelve kids? Jesus, lady, it's a vagina, not a clown car. Also, I lost it at "no speeding tickets, even though every car was at least 450hp" there's about 15 cars in the world with that kind of power, and all of them are superexotics with the cheapest probably being a Dodge Viper.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Tharizdun posted:

Twelve kids? Jesus, lady, it's a vagina, not a clown car. Also, I lost it at "no speeding tickets, even though every car was at least 450hp" there's about 15 cars in the world with that kind of power, and all of them are superexotics with the cheapest probably being a Dodge Viper.

To be fair, they were rebuilding the engines with whatever aftermarket parts the parents were willing to spring for. Also, due to how they measured HP in the 60's, it wasn't unheard of to have a full size family car making 360HP on the show room flow.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery
"Force your children to be exactly who you want them to be" is the gist of that entire thing. It's telling that the "Independence" part goes on and on about fixing cars and computers, but the only part about even the idea of actual independence is this:

quote:

We let the children make their own choices, but limited. For example, do you want to go to bed now or clean your room? Rarely, did we give directives that were one way, unless it dealt with living the agreed-upon family rules. This let the child feel that she had some control over life.

In other words, they had no independence. Which in real life is a guaranteed way to stunt your children's emotional growth, because it isn't what real life is like. I've never met anyone who grew up in a household like this that were very well-adjusted adults.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 17, 2014

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Twelve kids over the course of fifteen years, with each having to do some kind of extended rebuild and repair on a vehicle when they turned sixteen without any outside labor. This is a plausible set of projects for a family to take on, store, and manage, which absolutely totally happened.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
So what, he'd give them a shell and order a crate motor and new parts? Yeah that's a fantastic way to spend $50K on a build teach self-reliance.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

bobservo posted:

No no! He's not saying that! Remember he's "not a doctor". But, you know, if your kid doesn't want to eat something because it gives him stomach pains/hives/anaphylactic shock, then he kinda sounds like a whiner and if you let him eat something else you're an enabler.

Friends don't let friends die from peanut allergies, but you, mom and dad, not supposed to be your kids "friends".

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

How did I know when I clicked that the guy would be an engineer? Engineers are the worst.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ogmius815 posted:

How did I know when I clicked that the guy would be an engineer? Engineers are the worst.

I thought it would have been the first sentence of the article. "Francis L. Thompson is an engineer at Northrop Grumman Corp."

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Every shitbag libertarian engineer ever should be forced to read Steve Wozniak's autobiography A Clockwork Orange style.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
The article reminds me of that one episode of American Dad where Stan Smith, the CIA father, clones his son, Steve in order to raise him in a strict, authoritative way while his wife raises the real son in a very caring, passive way. Long story short,because both parents went to the extreme, real Steve turns into a spoiled goony gently caress and clone Steve turns into a disciplined psychopath who tries to kill his "father" for not letting him pursue interests in that he wants and for being more of a boss than a father. What I'm trying to get at here is that the author of that article needs to stop taking life lessons from Seth Macfarlane.

Are non-political articles kosher here? Here is an article written by Gilbert Gottfried about how women are liars for wanting a man with a sense of humor yet they go for attractive guys. It's pretty much Nice Guy and :biotruths: and UGH.

:nws:http://playboysfw.kinja.com/women-say-they-want-a-guy-with-a-sense-of-humor-they-d-1487449484:nws:
(It's linked to a site where the articles are isolated from the nudity, but it's still NSFW because, Playboy.)

Women Say They Want a Guy With a Sense of Humor. They Don't posted:

I was talking to this girl once, and she was going on and on about how much she loves Jerry Seinfeld. "He's the funniest guy on the planet," she told me. "Every joke he does just makes me scream with laughter." Being a curious person, I asked her if, given the chance, she'd gently caress Jerry Seinfeld. "Oh God no," she said without thinking about it. "Just because I think he's funny doesn't mean I want to have sex with him." Well, I inquired, what does make you want to have sex with a guy? And I swear to you, the first thing out of her mouth was "A sense of humor."

It's like a Pavlovian thing with women. Ask them what they're looking for in a man, and more often than not they'll tell you, "Somebody who makes me laugh." But I'm here to tell you, as a man who has made his living in comedy for more than three decades, that women are full of poo poo.

Being funny (and I have occasionally been funny) has never gotten me laid in my life. I'm sure you find that shocking. "You mean Gilbert Gottfried isn't constantly beating off women with a stick?" you're no doubt wondering. Well, I'm definitely beating. I'm beating every night. In fact, I want to stop writing this article right now so I can return to the beating. The fact that I spend so much time beating should tell you everything you need to know. If women were really attracted to a sense of humor, they'd be trampling over Johnny Depp to get to Jay Leno. They'd be pushing Ryan Gosling out of the way to grope the ample buttocks of Larry the Cable Guy. It's not like women everywhere are waking up in the middle of the night, sweaty from another erotic dream, and shouting out, "Shemp!"

But the myth endures. I remember reading an interview with the model Rachel Hunter, and she was explaining why she married Rod Stewart, a guy 24 years her senior. She said (and I'm paraphrasing), "Rod Stewart is living proof that a man can laugh a woman into bed." Well, yes, of course, I'm sure his one-liners were all it took. That and being one of the richest, most famous rock stars in the world. But no, it was totally his ease with a clever limerick that made her drop her panties for an old geezer with liver spots.

Guys are constantly being told that a good personality is the only thing that matters to women. "If you can make her smile, it doesn't matter what you look like." I know this girl who prides herself on being attracted to nerdy guys. But still she has slept only with a veritable who's who of handsome rock stars. She's a model (of course), and she worked for a day on some movie with George Clooney. She told me, "I wasn't impressed with his stardom, and I didn't think his looks were all that great. But he was genuinely funny." Horseshit! If he wasn't good-looking or famous, nobody would notice his sense of humor. It's like those women who claim they have crushes on Woody Allen or Larry David. If you're looking for a Larry David type, they're everywhere. You want a bald Jew with glasses and an acerbic sense of humor, I could fix you up no problem. But they're making $7.25 an hour bagging groceries at Whole Foods.

I can only talk from personal experience. For all I know, other comedians are getting more pussy than a veterinarian. But not me. I don't have groupies. I've never had a girl come up to me after a show and say, "That was the funniest act I've ever seen. I want to gently caress and suck you all night." That doesn't happen. I've had a few close calls. By which I mean complete misunderstandings on my part. There have been several times when a girl has approached me after a show to tell me how funny I am and then said, "What are you doing tonight?" And I say, "Nothing." And she says, "You want to come out and do something?" And I say yes because I'm almost positive by "something" she means me. I mean, seriously, who invites a stranger to "do something" after two a.m. if it doesn't involve one (or both) of us visiting a free clinic the next morning? But then invariably she says, "That's great. I'll tell my boyfriend. He's coming with us."

Maybe you don't believe me. Maybe you think there's still hope. "If I can just be more Gottfried-esque," you're thinking, "I'll get more tail than a Secret Service agent in Colombia." First of all, thanks for the compliment. And second of all, you're a delusional fool. You might as well be taking dieting tips from Kirstie Alley. But if you really want my advice, here it is.

If a woman is laughing at everything you say, she already plans to gently caress you.

That's all there is to it. Your jokes don't have to be any good, because she's not really listening. If she's planning to gently caress you, she'll laugh. And if she's not, she won't. End of story.

So if you want to use comedy to get a woman into bed, here's what you need to do. Find a girl desperate enough to gently caress you. Then everything you say will be comedy gold. She'll be falling out of her chair in hysterics like you're one of the Marx Brothers. And isn't that what every woman today is looking for, a guy who reminds her of a vaudeville act from 100 years ago? Every 18-year-old girl out there, the first thing she says about a guy she finds attractive is "He's as funny as the Marx Brothers. I mean when they were at Paramount, not when they switched over to MGM and were listening to Irving Thalberg." I think it's pretty obvious I have my finger on the pulse of modern womanhood.

You want the cold hard truth? A sense of humor means nothing. There's only one secret to being attractive to the opposite sex, and I'm going to share it with you today. My limited success with the opposite sex isn't due to my lovable personality or my skill at delivering perfectly timed punch lines. The only reason I've ever convinced a woman to sleep with me is because of my enormous cock.

Sorry.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Forceholy posted:

Are non-political articles kosher here? Here is an article written by Gilbert Gottfried about how women are liars for wanting a man with a sense of humor yet they go for attractive guys. It's pretty much Nice Guy and :biotruths: and UGH.

:nws:http://playboysfw.kinja.com/women-say-they-want-a-guy-with-a-sense-of-humor-they-d-1487449484:nws:
(It's linked to a site where the articles are isolated from the nudity, but it's still NSFW because, Playboy.)
You're kinda reaching here. He's not doing the 'nice guy' routine, he's writing a hilarious bit on how women, just like men, really want to bone rich, famous handsome people; they just lie about their reasons because society makes them.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Forceholy posted:

The article reminds me of that one episode of American Dad where Stan Smith, the CIA father, clones his son, Steve in order to raise him in a strict, authoritative way while his wife raises the real son in a very caring, passive way. Long story short,because both parents went to the extreme, real Steve turns into a spoiled goony gently caress and clone Steve turns into a disciplined psychopath who tries to kill his "father" for not letting him pursue interests in that he wants and for being more of a boss than a father.

I don't watch that show but I've basically seen this happen in real life.

Caros
May 14, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

I don't watch that show but I've basically seen this happen in real life.

You've seen human cloning in action? :aaaaa:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Caros posted:

You've seen human cloning in action? :aaaaa:

No, the ignoring one son and having him turn into a little poo poo riding the other way too hard and having him try to kill his father.

It was a Mormon family with 12 sons. Some of the others were more well adjusted, but I only knew 3 of them well.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Tharizdun posted:

You're kinda reaching here. He's not doing the 'nice guy' routine, he's writing a hilarious bit on how women, just like men, really want to bone rich, famous handsome people; they just lie about their reasons because society makes them.

There's some misogyny in it, but the bits at the end where he talks about(paraphrasing) "if a girl likes you then she likes you, it isn't about some kind of trickery" is pretty enlightened compared to the kinds of poo poo that might otherwise be said in that sort of article.

It's also a pretty good setup for his punch line at the end.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

bobservo posted:

I dunno mackey; these guys are absolutely simpletons (lol at the allergies bullshit [I am not a doctor]) but as far as raising kids, they seem like strict but caring parents. To be honest, I wish my parents were there to provide me better structure and discipline. It would've made my early adulthood much less dumb.

Seriously though lets examine what they do:
Kids are taught to have well regulated foodways ( unlike the way many people eat which is sporatic and unhealthy)

Kids have consistent and healthy sleep schedules (which is incredibly important for young developing people)

Kids are taught to be self reliant while still providing the support they require to grow. (This is probably a bit dog-whistle for 'bootstrappin yerselves' but theres nothing wrong with this concept in and of itself)

They force them to do community service.

They force them to do sports. (Sorry goons, everyone should be athletic given the capacity)

They used every opportunity to teach their kids rather than just doing the work for them.

From these very basic parenting concepts, I hope Im as consistent a father as these guys are. Nothing about having a disciplined household will stymie a child's healthy emotional growth. Sometimes I worry about you goons.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I think people are taking umbrage with the idea that he just let the kids do it themselves while providing thousands of dollars of support. Trips to Europe, enough tools and parts to rebuild a classic car into a high powered hot rod, trip to Mexico to hand out old clothes (no poor people in the city they lived in?), computers built from scratch. Also, the bragging that they ate dinner together at 530 every night. When I was growing up the whole family wasn't even home till after 6, and that's if mom or dad weren't working late.

Basically a lot of the stuff he says isn't wrong, but a lot of it is only possible because he is well off and makes enough to support such a large family without his wife also having to take a job. I would be more impressed if he wasn't an engineer at a large aerospace/defense contractor.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah sorry when someone starts heavily implying that loving food allergies are just made-up whiny bullshit, then I'm not inclined to give the rest of their crap the benefit of the doubt when it comes to what affirming, supportive parents they were.

And when it comes to their list of Things Only Affluent White People Can Do, let's add "badger and threaten their suburban school into waiving academic requirements for advanced classes".

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25776836 posted:

Lions and donkeys: 10 big myths about World War One debunked
Much of what we think we know about the 1914-18 conflict is wrong, writes historian Dan Snow.

No war in history attracts more controversy and myth than World War One.

For the soldiers who fought it was in some ways better than previous conflicts, and in some ways worse.

By setting it apart as uniquely awful we are blinding ourselves to the reality of not just WW1 but war in general. We are also in danger of belittling the experience of soldiers and civilians caught up in countless other appalling conflicts throughout history and the present day.

1. It was the bloodiest war in history to that point
Fifty years before WW1 broke out, southern China was torn apart by an even bloodier conflict. Conservative estimates of the dead in the 14-year Taiping rebellion start at between 20 and 30 million. Around 17 million soldiers and civilians were killed during WW1.

Although more Britons died in WW1 than any other conflict, the bloodiest war in our history relative to population size is the Civil War which raged in the mid-17th Century. It saw a far higher proportion of the population of the British Isles killed than the less than 2% who died in WW1. By contrast around 4% of the population of England and Wales, and considerably more than that in Scotland and Ireland, are thought to have been killed in the Civil War.

2. Most soldiers died
In the UK around six million men were mobilised, and of those just over 700,000 were killed. That's around 11.5%.

In fact, as a British soldier you were more likely to die during the Crimean War (1853-56) than in WW1.

3. Men lived in the trenches for years on end
Front-line trenches could be a terribly hostile place to live. Often wet, cold and exposed to the enemy, units would quickly lose their morale if they spent too much time in them.

As a result, the British army rotated men in and out continuously. Between battles, a unit spent perhaps 10 days a month in the trench system, and of those, rarely more than three days right up on the front line. It was not unusual to be out of the line for a month.

During moments of crisis, such as big offensives, the British could occasionally spend up to seven days on the front line but were far more often rotated out after just a day or two.

4. The upper class got off lightly
Although the great majority of casualties in WW1 were from the working class, the social and political elite was hit disproportionately hard by WW1. Their sons provided the junior officers whose job it was to lead the way over the top and expose themselves to the greatest danger as an example to their men.

Some 12% of the British army's ordinary soldiers were killed during the war, compared with 17% of its officers. Eton alone lost more than 1,000 former pupils - 20% of those who served. UK wartime Prime Minister Herbert Asquith lost a son, while future Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law lost two. Anthony Eden lost two brothers, another brother of his was terribly wounded and an uncle was captured.

5. 'Lions led by donkeys'
This saying was supposed to have come from senior German commanders describing brave British soldiers led by incompetent old toffs from their chateaux. In fact the incident was made up by historian Alan Clark.

During the war more than 200 generals were killed, wounded or captured. Most visited the front lines every day. In battle they were considerably closer to the action than generals are today.

Naturally, some generals were not up to the job, but others were brilliant, such as Arthur Currie, a middle-class Canadian failed insurance broker and property developer.

Rarely in history have commanders had to adapt to a more radically different technological environment.

British commanders had been trained to fight small colonial wars, now they were thrust into a massive industrial struggle unlike anything the British army had ever seen.

Despite this, within three years the British had effectively invented a method of warfare still recognisable today. By the summer of 1918 the British army was probably at its best ever and it inflicted crushing defeats on the Germans.

6. Gallipoli was fought by Australians and New Zealanders
Far more British soldiers fought on the Gallipoli peninsula than Australians and New Zealanders put together.

The UK lost four or five times as many men in the brutal campaign as her imperial Anzac contingents. The French also lost more men than the Australians.

The Aussies and Kiwis commemorate Gallipoli ardently, and understandably so, as their casualties do represent terrible losses both as a proportion of their forces committed and of their small populations.

7. Tactics on the Western Front remained unchanged despite repeated failure
Never have tactics and technology changed so radically in four years of fighting. It was a time of extraordinary innovation. In 1914 generals on horseback galloped across battlefields as men in cloth caps charged the enemy without the necessary covering fire. Both sides were overwhelmingly armed with rifles. Four years later, steel-helmeted combat teams dashed forward protected by a curtain of artillery shells.

They were now armed with flame throwers, portable machine-guns and grenades fired from rifles. Above, planes, that in 1914 would have appeared unimaginably sophisticated, duelled in the skies, some carrying experimental wireless radio sets, reporting real-time reconnaissance.

Huge artillery pieces fired with pinpoint accuracy - using only aerial photos and maths they could score a hit on the first shot. Tanks had gone from the drawing board to the battlefield in just two years, also changing war forever.

8. No-one won
Swathes of Europe lay wasted, millions were dead or wounded. Survivors lived on with severe mental trauma. The UK was broke. It is odd to talk about winning.

However, in a narrow military sense, the UK and her allies convincingly won. Germany's battleships had been bottled up by the Royal Navy until their crews mutinied rather than make a suicidal attack against the British fleet.

Germany's army collapsed as a series of mighty allied blows scythed through supposedly impregnable defences.

By late September 1918 the German emperor and his military mastermind Erich Ludendorff admitted that there was no hope and Germany must beg for peace. The 11 November Armistice was essentially a German surrender.

Unlike Hitler in 1945, the German government did not insist on a hopeless, pointless struggle until the allies were in Berlin - a decision that saved countless lives, but was seized upon later to claim Germany never really lost.

9. The Versailles Treaty was extremely harsh
The treaty of Versailles confiscated 10% of Germany's territory but left it the largest, richest nation in central Europe.

It was largely unoccupied and financial reparations were linked to its ability to pay, which mostly went unenforced anyway.

The treaty was notably less harsh than treaties that ended the 1870-71 Franco-Prussian War and World War Two. The German victors in the former annexed large chunks of two rich French provinces, part of France for between 2-300 years, and home to most of French iron ore production, as well as presenting France with a massive bill for immediate payment.

After WW2 Germany was occupied, split up, her factory machinery smashed or stolen and millions of prisoners forced to stay with their captors and work as slave labourers. Germany lost all the territory it had gained after WW1 and another giant slice on top of that.

Versailles was not harsh but was portrayed as such by Hitler who sought to create a tidal wave of anti-Versailles sentiment on which he could then ride into power.

10. Everyone hated it
Like any war, it all comes down to luck. You may witness unimaginable horrors that leave you mentally and physically incapacitated for life, or you might get away without a scrape. It could be the best of times, or the worst of times.

Many soldiers enjoyed WW1. If they were lucky they would avoid a big offensive, and much of the time, conditions might be better than at home.

For the British there was meat every day - a rare luxury back home - cigarettes, tea and rum, part of a daily diet of over 4,000 calories.

Absentee rates due to sickness, an important barometer of a unit's morale were, remarkably, hardly above peacetime rates. Many young men enjoyed the guaranteed pay, the intense comradeship, the responsibility and a much greater sexual freedom than in peacetime Britain.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Wow, that starts off pretty poo poo and then somehow manages to get worse.

'Don't worry guys, only 1 in 9 British soldiers died, the rest quite enjoyed it. The western front was basically a picnic.'

'At some points combat was so hellish entire units would be shattered and rotated off the line after only a day or two. This is somehow a good thing'

'making GBS threads on a defining moment in Anzac history for no reason.'

'The Treaty of Versailles was actually great. I mean it wasn't quite as harsh as conditions imposed by Stalinist Soviet Russia, pretty much the lowest bar you could think of. Now let me skirt around the fact that it utterly failed to prevent the largest war in history only 20 years later.'

People are really pushing some serious whitewashing of the conflict for the upcoming anniversary.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I read that and have no idea what his point is.

THE GREAT WAR WASNT SO BAD!

Congratulations! You made an inane statement based entirely your own warped perspective about the horrors of war and present it in a way that's offensive to the memory of anyone who died.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Don't forget, a lower percentage of the British population died in World War I than they did during the English Civil War, you know that war that was fought almost exclusively on British territory when both sides were British! How marvelously humane! :histdowns:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 21, 2014

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Rexicon1 posted:

I read that and have no idea what his point is.

THE GREAT WAR WASNT SO BAD!

Congratulations! You made an inane statement based entirely your own warped perspective about the horrors of war and present it in a way that's offensive to the memory of anyone who died.

The point of it is to be part of the establishment push to rehabilitate the First World War through distortion and outright falsehood. Nothing more than that.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

cafel posted:

Wow, that starts off pretty poo poo and then somehow manages to get worse.

'Don't worry guys, only 1 in 9 British soldiers died, the rest quite enjoyed it. The western front was basically a picnic.'

"I adore war. It is like a big picnic but without the objectivelessness of a picnic. I have never been more well or more happy." - Julian Grenfell (1888-1915); Grenfell's brother was also killed in action, two months later.

If anyone needs a primer in just how the upper class could play off whatever they want, Catherine Bailey's The Secret Rooms. Though he initially protested, Violet Rutland went up through the ranks to keep her boy out of the front lines. Because she knew them all. And solely because was the last heir to a dukedom and like hell she was going to lose that.

Siegfried Sassoon also had things fixed up for him. Robert Graves, who was just upper class enough to be put in the officers' pool, helped to get a medical board fixed so Sassoon wouldn't be court-martialed, which sometimes carried the death penalty. Graves was still suffering the effects of shellshock when he published Good-Bye to All That in 1929.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

John Charity Spring posted:

The point of it is to be part of the establishment push to rehabilitate the First World War through distortion and outright falsehood. Nothing more than that.
Why on earth would "the establishment" care about doing that.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Why on earth would "the establishment" care about doing that.

To rehabilitate the idea of war in general, I suppose? Still rather :tinfoil:, though; I'm more inclined to blame the general obsession of historians nowadays with tearing down "myths" and "icons." It helps that there are a lot of silly historical narratives with staying power in the popular mind, e.g., the Middle Ages as "a thousand years without a bath" (or, speaking of baths, the story about Millard Fillmore).

Incidentally, many soldiers did indeed enjoy World War I. Of course, many of those who did went on to become fascists.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 21, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Silver2195 posted:

To rehabilitate the idea of war in general, I suppose? Still rather :tinfoil:, though.
Indeed. Nobody's attitude about our present engagements, or those we're likely to be involved in in the future, is going to be altered one scintilla by a minor tidying-up of the image of world war I.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

VitalSigns posted:

...then I'm not inclined to give the rest of their crap the benefit of the doubt when it comes to what affirming, supportive parents they were.

This part of your post made me realize something: there's zero discussion of sexuality, in an article about how to Properly Raise Kids Right, in a house that would've continuously housed multiple adolescents for a quarter century and had a mom that was permanently pregnant, and which by the odds likely had at least one LGBT kiddo? That's a conspicuous absence.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Indeed. Nobody's attitude about our present engagements, or those we're likely to be involved in in the future, is going to be altered one scintilla by a minor tidying-up of the image of world war I.

That reminds me of Asimov's remark that "the chances of carrying [historical revisionism] as far as is described in 1984 seem to me to be nil - not because it is beyond human wickedness, but because it is totally unnecessary."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery

quote:

It was largely unoccupied and financial reparations were linked to its ability to pay, which mostly went unenforced anyway.

So easy to pay and "unenforced" that France occupied the Ruhr in 1923 when Germany couldn't pay.

• Locked thread