Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Jacobey000 posted:

Yeah, i saw that afterward. Could be mildly overkill... :)

What isn't in most of the homebrew systems? :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Cointelprofessional posted:

Lacto might survive, but it won't be around for much longer. To quote Wild Brews, page 112, "Even though the microorganism produces lactic acid, Lactobacillus will ceased to reproduce at a ph of around 3.8."

That's an interesting fun fact. That book has been on my reading list for a long time. What's the ratio of practical information for home brewers vs general information on existing commercial products?

Also, ph measured by TMF on some of his sours:

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2011/11/measuring-sour-beer-ph.html?m=1

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Lacto might survive, but it won't be around for much longer. To quote Wild Brews, page 112, "Even though the microorganism produces lactic acid, Lactobacillus will ceased to reproduce at a ph of around 3.8."

I finished reading it but fermentation wise I only really remember it talking alot about using wooden barrels, for someone without a wooden barrel is there any way around it because I remember on HomebrewTV they used glass carboys. When I brew the lambic, pitch and leave for 2years or so in the same glass carboy is any good? Is there anything I should do other then this?

Fluo fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 21, 2014

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Fluo posted:

I finished reading it but fermentation wise I only really remember it talking alot about using wooden barrels, for someone without a wooden barrel is there any way around it because I remember on HomebrewTV they used glass carboys. When I brew the lambic, pitch and leave for 2years or so in the same glass carboy is any good? Is there anything I should do other then this?

Some people say to seal your carboy with an oak dowel instead of a rubber stopper/airlock to get a slow trickle of oxygen. I've never done it though, I think my bad habit of pulling samples gets me enough O2 in my sours.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Glottis posted:

Post #1: Today I brewed (mixed?) a new cider primarily for my wife. 5 gallons of Tree Top and 1 lb of Turbinado sugar putting the OG around 1.06. My plan is to ferment all of that out, then add a combination of apple juice concentrate, maple syrup, and more Turbinado sugar to bring the SG back up to around 1.04, bottle it, then pasteurize the bottles in a week or so after I've confirmed it got some carbonation. I used the Belgian Strong Ale yeast in hopes it'd add some interesting flavor but I don't expect much.

a) is this a really stupid idea? the pasteurization? As far as I can tell, it's the only way to get carbonated sweet cider in bottles that doesn't involve using lactose and might actually taste good. I saw people putting 150 degree water in a cooler, adding the bottles, and waiting 40 minutes or so to do this.

b) is 1.04 going to be disgustingly sweet? She likes very sweet ciders, "iceman" if you've had it, and enjoys ciders even sugarier than the Woodchuck variety. Given that the regular Tree Top is 1.05 I think 1.04 is fine but I have no clue.

Like Jacobey said, a week is way too long with that much sugar, and it'll probably be more like a day before it gets up to proper carbonation levels. Just open a bottle every 12 hours or so to check the carb, or you can fill a couple of little plastic soda bottles and use their firmness as a pressure gauge. That takes a bit of practice to get right, and I like to keep one still full of soda as a reference. Definitely err on the side of caution with the carbonation though(a not-quite-fully-carbed batch is a lot better than losing half of the batch to glass grenades). I pasteurize in a big canning pot on the stove, and while I have never had any bottles violently explode with shrapnel and terror like a lot of people seem to expect, I have had a few pop in the pot like little depth charges.

If you have a big rectangular cooler, that method sounds safer. Just make sure all of the bottles can sit upright without being too crammed in there. It also might be good to first warm them up in hot tap water to reduce the temperature shock to the glass before putting them into the 150f cooler.

Also, I'd probably go up to 160-170f just to be sure. I don't remember exactly what internal temps you're looking to hit(135-140, maybe?), but putting all of those bottles into the water is going to bring the temp pretty far down.

Oh, and put a towel down wherever the bottles will be going after you're done. I can't say for sure that putting them on a cold marble counter would cause them to break, but I also can't say for sure that it wouldn't!

And to address question B- Yeah, 1.04 is probably going to be too sweet. My apple pie cider ended up at about that fg, and it is still crazy sweet in spite of the 16% alcohol. Although, I used a lot of brown sugar and apple pie spice, both of which impart a lot of flavor, so you may have a different experience with the turbinado(I've never used it). I'd probably go around 1.03 though. That's still going to be pretty sweet, but hopefully without being completely overwhelming.

block51
Jun 18, 2002

Ghetto? Yes, But I still shop there.
I'm doing a bunch of thinking and research on how I want to convert a mini-mash version of a Dry Irish stout to an all grain recipe. The mini mash version used 5 lb of liquid "Dark Malt Extract".

I've found some decent articles online for doing conversions (see links below), but I guess what I'm looking for is if anyone has already done this and has an answer in their hat. I think I've found some good ideas of what malts to use, it's more question of ratios of those malts to replace the dark LME.

I'm starting from the AHS Budget Stout Mini Mash recipie that I've made several times http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=13520.

http://byo.com/stories/item/616-extract-to-all-grain-and-back Very detailed info converting that takes into account color and flavors.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/help-converting-extract-recipe-all-grain-128206/ Suggests 2# of Munich Malt, Crystal 60L, and Black Malt(divided equally) - in place of the 1# DME.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/malt-extract-all-grain-conversion-added-ingredients-208087/ Talks about what malts to use in place of dark malt extract. Suggests a mix of 2-row, Munich, crystal 60 and black malt.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what-dark-malt-extract-192362/ Some more ideas on what malts to use in place of dark malt extract. Similarly talks of Base Malt [I assume some kind of 2 row], Caramel Malt 60L, Munich Malt, Black Malt.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Man, I'm constantly amazed at how insane of a yeast 3787 is. My quad is puking its guts out non-stop.

Chest freezer gets delivered today! No more swamp cooler management for me.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

internet celebrity posted:

Some people say to seal your carboy with an oak dowel instead of a rubber stopper/airlock to get a slow trickle of oxygen. I've never done it though, I think my bad habit of pulling samples gets me enough O2 in my sours.

Ok cool thanks :D, think this would be good enough if I drilled a hole for an airlock? http://www.hopshopuk.com/products/view/1491/general/airlocks-bungs-and-corks/tail-cork-no4-1-5-8-x-1-7-8

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

crazyfish posted:

Chest freezer gets delivered today! No more swamp cooler management for me.

Welcome.

So, as I said, my goal for 2014 is to lock down some stable main recipes. I think I'm going to try my hoppy pale ale with some golden candi sugar instead of dextrose haha. I wonder how much of a difference that will make on the final product.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

fullroundaction posted:

That's an interesting fun fact. That book has been on my reading list for a long time. What's the ratio of practical information for home brewers vs general information on existing commercial products?

Also, ph measured by TMF on some of his sours:

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2011/11/measuring-sour-beer-ph.html?m=1

All of the techniques come with caveats and changes for home brewers. The biggest problem is its starting to grow whiskers on the American sour side which is of most interest to a home brewer trying to make sours. Not a huge deal, just keep in mind the newer info in blogs or more recent discussions can trump what's in the book.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

fullroundaction posted:

Ratio, hmm. I would say that's it's fairly even. It does give you lots of background, discussing the history of the big players, the effect of WW2, etc. It also gives you lots of practical information, from tasting descriptors, recipes, great info on the microorganisms and their habits and growing conditions. It gives you lots of information on each step in the process of brewing sour beers, from brewing, to the bugs, maturing vessels, bottling, and even blending. I'd highly recommend this book. Home brewing has too much contradictory word of mouth advice and sour beers has its share too. This book settles many matters.

Read another review:
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2009/02/book-review-wild-brews.html

Fluo posted:

When I brew the lambic, pitch and leave for 2years or so in the same glass carboy is any good? Is there anything I should do other then this?

I usually toss in .5 - 1 oz of oak chips that I've either microwaved in water for boiled on the stove. Discard the water because you really don't want to taste much barrel at all in your sour. Barrels can let you create a house culture when the critters inoculate themselves into the wood, but they aren't required. You can make a beer that's "close enough". I have a few sours in glass carboys, but most of them are in plastic better bottles.

internet celebrity posted:

Some people say to seal your carboy with an oak dowel...

If you have a glass carboy, the oak dowel will likely expand when it soaks up your beer and then it'll crack your carboy.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I usually toss in .5 - 1 oz of oak chips that I've either microwaved in water for boiled on the stove. Discard the water because you really don't want to taste much barrel at all in your sour. Barrels can let you create a house culture when the critters inoculate themselves into the wood, but they aren't required. You can make a beer that's "close enough". I have a few sours in glass carboys, but most of them are in plastic better bottles.

If you have a glass carboy, the oak dowel will likely expand when it soaks up your beer and then it'll crack your carboy.

Okie dokie, will add 1oz of oak chips, since doing sours are so special do you think I should buy plastic carboys/demijhons instead of glass if I plan on in future putting future beers ontop of the cake at the bottom?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

I think the compromise/trick is you drill out a stopper to fit your dowel and the stopper absorbs the expansion.

Stonedog
Sep 9, 2001

Wait a minute, penguins can't fly!
Grimey Drawer

fullroundaction posted:

You can feed your guys a half gallon or so of fresh wort a couple weeks before you plan on bottling to see if they're still up for the job and to get them ready to do work (this is what I do).
Great tip, sounds like something I should make standard practice for sours.

Fluo posted:

Okie dokie, will add 1oz of oak chips, since doing sours are so special do you think I should buy plastic carboys/demijhons instead of glass if I plan on in future putting future beers ontop of the cake at the bottom?
Wondering the same, except with plastic buckets vs PET Better Bottle-type carboys. If buckets let in more oxygen, would buckets be good for "fast" sours and PET Bottles be better for 1+ years?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

The general wisdom is that you can reuse glass for non-sour after being used with sour, but the same is not true for plastic because plastic is prone to scratches which can make it hard to sanitize. Personally, I just use dedicated sour better bottles and don't worry about it.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

crazyfish posted:

The general wisdom is that you can reuse glass for non-sour after being used with sour, but the same is not true for plastic because plastic is prone to scratches which can make it hard to sanitize. Personally, I just use dedicated sour better bottles and don't worry about it.

The glass carboys would be dedicated for sours anyway so you think it'd best for me to save the glass carboys for other stuff and just buy 2 of these for my sours if I'm going to be putting future sours on top of it anyway?

By the way Stonedog I love your Critics avatar. :allears:

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Fluo posted:

You can use either, but I find plastic to be cheaper and I don't have to worry about it breaking.

Stonedog posted:

Wondering the same, except with plastic buckets vs PET Better Bottle-type carboys. If buckets let in more oxygen, would buckets be good for "fast" sours and PET Bottles be better for 1+ years?

Oxygen actually inhibits "sour" flavors. The two bugs that produce lactic acid, Lactobacillus and Pediococcus, hate oxygen and it will stunt their growth/reproduction. The bacteria acetobacter uses oxygen will produce acetic/vinegar flavors, of which you only want a little. There are methods of doing "fast" sours, but the storage vessel doesn't really matter in that regard.

Stonedog
Sep 9, 2001

Wait a minute, penguins can't fly!
Grimey Drawer

You can use either, but I find plastic to be cheaper and I don't have to worry about it breaking.

Oxygen actually inhibits "sour" flavors. The two bugs that produce lactic acid, Lactobacillus and Pediococcus, hate oxygen and it will stunt their growth/reproduction. The bacteria acetobacter uses oxygen will produce acetic/vinegar flavors, of which you only want a little. There are methods of doing "fast" sours, but the storage vessel doesn't really matter in that regard.
The best part of brewing is learning all these cool things :science:
Think I'll dedicate my Better Bottles to sours. They take less space anyway, so that's perfect for long-term storage.

Fluo posted:

By the way Stonedog I love your Critics avatar. :allears:
It's a classic :hfive:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I used some Turbinado sugar in my IPA this weekend. I wonder if it actually does anything that regular sugar doesn't. I know on Barclay Perkins they're super into the idea that its way different if you use "good" sugar over "plain."

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

I used some Turbinado sugar in my IPA this weekend. I wonder if it actually does anything that regular sugar doesn't. I know on Barclay Perkins they're super into the idea that its way different if you use "good" sugar over "plain."

turbinado sugar has some impurities that plain sugar doesn't have. It will present marginal differences in taste since these impurities are unfermentable.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

GrAviTy84 posted:

turbinado sugar has some impurities that plain sugar doesn't have. It will present marginal differences in taste since these impurities are unfermentable.

That's the idea, but I tend to doubt that I will actually be able to taste the difference.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
Turbinado can add a rum note depending on the quantity and the beer. I definitely taste it in a Tripel when I use it for the sugar portion.

IPA? Not sure. I used 1 lb. of piloncillo sugar in an IPA and it was lost.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

That's the idea, but I tend to doubt that I will actually be able to taste the difference.

yeah, you'd really have to be pretty heavy handed with it. As mentioned, other sugars with more impurities would probably present stronger than turbinado would. Especially in such a bold beer as an IPA.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

yeah, you'd really have to be pretty heavy handed with it. As mentioned, other sugars with more impurities would probably present stronger than turbinado would. Especially in such a bold beer as an IPA.

I didn't have the guts to put muscovado in there, because that would be just too wrong. Sometimes I do put blackstrap molasses even in very pale beers just for a little color, though.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 22, 2014

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Jacobey000 posted:

a) I think home-pasteurization of homebrew is loving insane and way too dangerous to attempt, but I also would never, ever buy glass carboys. :shobon:

b) I think it'll be quite sweet. You could always take some of that iceman and do a gravity reading to find out where it lands. Getting the beer back up to 90% of it's OG is kinda interesting to think about, butt seems awfully high of an OG. When you say you'll let the bottles sit for 1 week - you are taking your life into your own hands as far as bottle bombs. Adding that much sugar back may only take days, if not hours (12?) to get carbonated. And you'd have to act fast.

c) Iceman is a ice-distilled cider. The flavor profile is much more complicated than "add more sugar" due to the fact they are freezing and pouring off the sugar and booze (which don't freeze). I'd do it this way: Buy your store-bought cider, add all that sugar to begin with (1.090), ferment it on down and then freeze it up, and bottle it. There is massive loss from doing this (just like all distilling) so be aware.

I'm not as worried about bottles exploding. I'll take precautions to prevent injury / mess and it's not a big deal if I lose some. And yeah the apple juice is 1.05 out of the bottle so I don't think it'll be gross sweet if I get up there. As for carbonation, what I meant to say was that I'd be opening bottles on a daily basis until it was fermented, max a week - but it sounds like I should be opening bottles every several hours or so or at least using a plastic bottle as well. For the record, my house is pretty much constantly ~65 degrees and takes a decently long time for other beers to bottle carbonate.

BLARGHLE posted:

Like Jacobey said, a week is way too long with that much sugar, and it'll probably be more like a day before it gets up to proper carbonation levels. Just open a bottle every 12 hours or so to check the carb, or you can fill a couple of little plastic soda bottles and use their firmness as a pressure gauge. That takes a bit of practice to get right, and I like to keep one still full of soda as a reference. Definitely err on the side of caution with the carbonation though(a not-quite-fully-carbed batch is a lot better than losing half of the batch to glass grenades). I pasteurize in a big canning pot on the stove, and while I have never had any bottles violently explode with shrapnel and terror like a lot of people seem to expect, I have had a few pop in the pot like little depth charges.

If you have a big rectangular cooler, that method sounds safer. Just make sure all of the bottles can sit upright without being too crammed in there. It also might be good to first warm them up in hot tap water to reduce the temperature shock to the glass before putting them into the 150f cooler.

Also, I'd probably go up to 160-170f just to be sure. I don't remember exactly what internal temps you're looking to hit(135-140, maybe?), but putting all of those bottles into the water is going to bring the temp pretty far down.

Oh, and put a towel down wherever the bottles will be going after you're done. I can't say for sure that putting them on a cold marble counter would cause them to break, but I also can't say for sure that it wouldn't!

And to address question B- Yeah, 1.04 is probably going to be too sweet. My apple pie cider ended up at about that fg, and it is still crazy sweet in spite of the 16% alcohol. Although, I used a lot of brown sugar and apple pie spice, both of which impart a lot of flavor, so you may have a different experience with the turbinado(I've never used it). I'd probably go around 1.03 though. That's still going to be pretty sweet, but hopefully without being completely overwhelming.

Yeah, my plan was to do the cooler thing and attempt to account for the temperature lost into the bottles, i.e. putting ~170 degree water in there and hoping it only drops 20 degrees. Maybe I'll put ~120 degree water in first for a while, drain, then put the hot stuff in to reduce the shock and temperature loss when the temperature is key.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

24 hours into my first sour mash. Smells pretty good, idk why people say it stinks. Smells like really fresh yogurt with honey. I dig.

Details:

Grain bill:
American 2-Row 10 lbs
Flaked Wheat 2 lbs
Crystal 120L .5 lb
Special B .5 lb

Brought 2.5 gallons of water up to 170 F dropped in 6 lbs of the combined grain bill which dropped it to 155 ish. Single temp infusion mash held in oven set to warm at 155. It hovered around 153ish for the majority of one hour. Pulled it from oven to cool to 120 F when I inoculated with a big handful of unmashed cracked grain from the grain bill. Put it back into the oven with the light on.

Checked this morning and it was at about 95 F, so I turned the warmer on again until the mash was at 118 F. So far so good. I'm thinking about letting it go for 48 hours.

Questions:
When I mash the remainder of the grain bill, should I combine the sour mash with the unmashed grains? Should I mash them separately? What about for the boil? I know I should pasteurize the sour mash before combining in the fermenter, but I'm wondering if I should just bring the sour mash to a boil quickly, then chill it quickly so as to preserve as much of the wild ferment character as possible and only do a full 60 minute boil+hops for the remainder of the grain bill. Any opinions?

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice
FYI I'm really curious about this process, so any updates you have are greatly appreciated! For example, I didn't think about the oven being a perfectly fine place to put the souring stuff to keep the temperature steady :downs:

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

GrAviTy84 posted:

24 hours into my first sour mash. Smells pretty good, idk why people say it stinks. Smells like really fresh yogurt with honey. I dig.

Questions:
When I mash the remainder of the grain bill, should I combine the sour mash with the unmashed grains? Should I mash them separately? What about for the boil? I know I should pasteurize the sour mash before combining in the fermenter, but I'm wondering if I should just bring the sour mash to a boil quickly, then chill it quickly so as to preserve as much of the wild ferment character as possible and only do a full 60 minute boil+hops for the remainder of the grain bill. Any opinions?

Both of my sour mashes smelled like over-ripe pineapple.

It's my understanding (I sour my entire mash), that you to mash separately (due to pH?) and then add the soured mash when doing the mash-out. I usually boil because I don't want to have puckering lemonade-beer, and to help nix DMS. I boil for 5-10 minutes and toss in hops for giggles.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Glottis posted:

I'm not as worried about bottles exploding. I'll take precautions to prevent injury / mess and it's not a big deal if I lose some. And yeah the apple juice is 1.05 out of the bottle so I don't think it'll be gross sweet if I get up there. As for carbonation, what I meant to say was that I'd be opening bottles on a daily basis until it was fermented, max a week - but it sounds like I should be opening bottles every several hours or so or at least using a plastic bottle as well. For the record, my house is pretty much constantly ~65 degrees and takes a decently long time for other beers to bottle carbonate.

Yeah, my plan was to do the cooler thing and attempt to account for the temperature lost into the bottles, i.e. putting ~170 degree water in there and hoping it only drops 20 degrees. Maybe I'll put ~120 degree water in first for a while, drain, then put the hot stuff in to reduce the shock and temperature loss when the temperature is key.

I'd like to know how the cooler works, because doing it on the stove is kind of a pain in the rear end, and also very time consuming.

I know some goon(maybe Josh Wow?) had asked before if I was getting a complete kill or just knocking the yeast population way down, and it seems to me that I'm not getting any additional carbonation in my older batches, even after 6+ months of sitting. I don't have a terribly scientific way to measure this, except to say that they're not foaming up like crazy...

Beer4theBeerGod- have you had a chance to try any of my brews yet? The honey wheat and Guinness have done a decent job of carbing up, and I'd like to get opinions from people other than my friends. I think the honey wheat smells exactly like it is supposed to, but is almost completely without flavor(at least compared to the old extract recipe I was trying to replicate). The Guinness clone is still a little sweet to really be called a clone, at least in my opinion. And, as far as the ESB and brown ale are concerned, I found that they did a pretty poor job of carbonating, but both are decent, if not particularly noteworthy as far as taste goes.

I haven't had any of yours yet, because I stuck them in the back of everything to let the one age and keep forgetting about the other two varieties in there...

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Okay santees, let's audit and make sure everything went off okay. If you have not received your beer, PM me or email michael.r.board@gmail.com

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Okay santees, let's audit and make sure everything went off okay. If you have not received your beer, PM me or email michael.r.board@gmail.com

I've received mine (which I'll post about in a couple of days with photo), but I've not sent mine yet. I explain it in PM but long story short somehow the woman at the post office said I have to have 1liter or less otherwise they'd have to be in separate boxes which has thrown me off as I've never had that before. Going to try a different post office and if that fails just going to have to send two boxes.

Whoever my secret santa is I'm hugely sorry for the delay. A friend also had this problem sending nail polish. :negative:

Anyway I'm doing everything I can to send it ASAP.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 22, 2014

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Fluo posted:

I've received mine (which I'll post about in a couple of days with photo), but I've not sent mine yet. I explain it in PM but long story short somehow the woman at the post office said I have to have 1liter or less otherwise they'd have to be in separate boxes which has thrown me off as I've never had that before. Going to try a different post office and if that fails just going to have to send two boxes.

Whoever my secret santa is I'm hugely sorry for the delay. A friend also had this problem sending nail polish. :negative:

Anyway I'm doing everything I can to send it ASAP.

Maybe just deliver it personally? I suppose this assume that you have a car and don't live too far away from your santee...

Fluo
May 25, 2007

BLARGHLE posted:

Maybe just deliver it personally? I suppose this assume that you have a car and don't live too far away from your santee...

I would if I had a car.. (which I don't :<) 386 mi / 6 hour drive which I would go that far to drop it off if I had a car but by train and bus it'd be getting pretty silly :(. If the santee can wait like, 2 weeks max this poo poo will be sorted. Going to straight away just rebox it into two different boxes, because of the weight of it too I think I'd have trouble at the other post office even if it wasn't liquids. Bottles are all vacuum sealed anyway so isn't going to be too much trouble.

It was just one of those things where one of my beers were going to be ready to drink around the 28th december so though I'd send it then and dodge the christmas post but been having problems. If need be I'll pay extra and get a private courier.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 22, 2014

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Josh Wow posted:

Do a beta glucan rest for 20-30 minutes around 110*F to break up some of those gummy proteins and run off pretty slow. Honestly though I'd throw at least 5-10% of something else in there. Even with the huge OG I'd be worried about the beer being too thin and one dimensional.

Is that different than a protein rest at ~120?

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Okay santees, let's audit and make sure everything went off okay. If you have not received your beer, PM me or email
I've sent mine - but haven't heard if it's been accepted. Sent... two weeks ago? Last week?

Jacobey000 fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 22, 2014

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Jacobey000 posted:

Is that different than a protein rest at ~120?

I couldn't tell ya, I've seen people online talk about doing both. I've had better results at 110 as far as runoff goes so I stick with that.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Phew, last night I finally bottled the last portion (except 1 gal set aside for future blends) of my first homebrew sour. I'd been sort of messing around with it over the course of the last 15 months. Some of the nasty off flavor that I've been picking up in my bottles was present, and it was most present in the portion of the lambic that had the most recent fruit additions (coincidentally done at the time I bottled the currently nasty bottles). Last night I blended 1 gal on sour cherries + 1 gal on sour cherry juice (from the same harvest) + 1.5 gal on sweet cherries and mixed berries and primed it with a bottle of sour cherry juice (also same harvest).

I also sampled the framboise and the rye sour that are aging - the framboise is beautiful and complex, while the rye sour is currently 'rip your face off sour' with a strong undercurrent of funk. I think I will smell like lacto for days now.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

BLARGHLE posted:

I'd like to know how the cooler works, because doing it on the stove is kind of a pain in the rear end, and also very time consuming.

I know some goon(maybe Josh Wow?) had asked before if I was getting a complete kill or just knocking the yeast population way down, and it seems to me that I'm not getting any additional carbonation in my older batches, even after 6+ months of sitting. I don't have a terribly scientific way to measure this, except to say that they're not foaming up like crazy...
I'll be sure to update. The concept is simple enough I guess, and you can leave it at temperature for long enough to be overkill without and additional effort (in theory).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Mine is ready to go out, it just hasn't since work has been kind of crazy the last week. In fairness, I haven't received anything either.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I don't know if this has been posted here, but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Sorry but I only use charts that break "European" flavor and aroma into no less than 3 tiers :colbert: