Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

This thread is a lot more enjoyable if you put SMG on ignore.

Or only read his posts, it's one or the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

I think it's because you're going after a goofy campy monster movie instead of something with actual substance. I love this movie dearly, but it is what it is, and not much more.

What is the actual substance?

It sounds like phlogiston.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 21, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's the stuff you find in between your toes!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's weird that I mostly/only get this reaction from the Pacific Rim thread. I do not receive similar complaints about Her or Star Wars, despite using exactly the same approach in those threads.

The only real difference is that, while I liked Star Wars and thought Her was OK, I disliked Pacific Rim.

Probably because the Star Wars thread is filled with people who use the EU to justify the prequels and think that George Lucas did everything right on the prequels. This makes it, quite probably, one of the worst threads in CDs history.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 21, 2014

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

What is the actual substance?

It sounds like phlogiston.

Black goo.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

^^^
Would have saved the film, really.

If you like fascism and the vague idea of giant robots, but have no respect for giant monster cinema whatsoever, you should go see this movie.
I'll give it to SMG; they are like the embodiment of the Fine Arts department going to a screening of Pacific Rim.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

This thread is a lot more enjoyable if you put SMG on ignore.
Totally forgot I can do that, thanks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Clearly it is quintessence.

quote:

It's weird that I mostly/only get this reaction from the Pacific Rim thread.

I seem to recall similar results after Battle: LA, Skyline, Prometheus, and that one time you did it without actually watching the movie.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 22, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

RBA Starblade posted:

I seem to recall similar results after Battle: LA, Skyline, and Prometheus, among others. Though I don't think you implied anyone was a fascist in those.

I didn't imply anyone was fascist in this thread either. (Well, besides Jefferoo.)

I said the character in the film were fascist, which is accurate. If forums poster goku420 is a fascist, or admires fascism... who cares?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Milky Moor posted:

Probably because the Star Wars thread is filled with people who use the EU to justify the prequels and think that George Lucas did everything right on the prequels. This makes it, quite probably, one of the worst threads in CDs history.

I think the EU is more the butt of a joke, they are expressly not canon compared to films such as THX 1138 and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, which are. And threads go through phases which are interesting or boring, such as the abominable fan art and mundane doll posting in this thread.

Danger fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 22, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's a question of sacred cows, I think. Except nobody cares what you say about or do to Star Wars, it's already been slaughtered.

At least it's not as bad as the Tron thread.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Milky Moor posted:

I have not heard one positive word about any of the EU in the Star Wars thread except from spergs who hate the prequels.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

It's weird that I mostly/only get this reaction from the Pacific Rim thread. I do not receive similar complaints about Her or Star Wars, despite using exactly the same approach in those threads.

The only real difference is that, while I liked Star Wars and thought Her was OK, I disliked Pacific Rim.

Well that's the thing. When you spend this much time and energy trying to convince people that this thing they like is bad and wrong, even if you've got a valid argument, it gets tiresome after six months.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

computer parts posted:

I have not heard one positive word about any of the EU in the Star Wars thread except from spergs who hate the prequels.

...But doesn't everyone hate the prequels?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Doublehex posted:

...But doesn't everyone hate the prequels?

Not if you understand that what they were going for is essentially a deconstruction of the Star Wars mythos.

Or to be short: "The Jedi are morons in the OT, come see them when they were morons and in power".

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So you like the prequels? Even if you just judge it on the acting it's such a slog to get through.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
"In those other threads I didn't act like a condescending douchebag, and they tolerated me. Yet in this thread I did act like a douchebag and they didn't tolerate me! What gives??" :confused:

tl;dr: :spergin:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

People really enjoy their fascist mechs and do not like being called out on it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mu Zeta posted:

So you like the prequels? Even if you just judge it on the acting it's such a slog to get through.

I suggest reading the thread.

If you want a definitive example however, a major complaint that a lot of people have is that Anakin acted like a creeper for most of the last two prequels. This is not a mistake.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Clearly a slow descent to the Dark Side should make someone friendly and psychologically stable.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well that's the thing. When you spend this much time and energy trying to convince people that this thing they like is bad and wrong, even if you've got a valid argument, it gets tiresome after six months.

What if the thing you like is Christ, the arguments against are not valid at all, and the period of time is way more than a few months?

I kid, but you're kinda assuming that people actually like this movie. I'd say that they don't. The most common response to the criticism is that 'it's just a stupid movie, undeserving of attention.' There's a lack of respect and confidence there, and it's not coming from me.

This is related to the steadfast refusal to celebrate the film. With the notable exception of Jefferoo, who took the fascism and went wild, few take the film seriously.

Statements like "it knows what it is," if you think about them for even a second, are totally nonsensical. If the film could know what it was, it would know that it's loaded with psychological imagery - including multiple scenes set inside people's minds. Even on a most rudimentary level, the film is about a war. I'm not the one who brought this up. Rosie the Riveter shows up. US President Barack Obama shows up. C'mon now.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

computer parts posted:

Not if you understand that what they were going for is essentially a deconstruction of the Star Wars mythos.

Im pretty sure you can still hate them even if thats what you think they were about.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I didn't imply anyone was fascist in this thread either. (Well, besides Jefferoo.)

Sorry, maybe it was one of the other posters then. I'm pretty sure someone did but honestly I'm not going to go look and check.

quote:

I kid, but you're kinda assuming that people actually like this movie. I'd say that they don't.

What other movies did we not like but fooled ourselves into thinking we liked?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 22, 2014

Barry White
Jun 28, 2008

Luke Skywalker kills Han Solo's son at the climax of Episode VII

What if the thing you like is Christ, the arguments against are not valid at all, and the period of time is way more than a few months?

I kid, but you're kinda assuming that people actually like this movie. I'd say that they don't. The most common response to the criticism is that 'it's just a stupid movie, undeserving of attention.' There's a lack of respect and confidence there, and it's not coming from me.

This is related to the steadfast refusal to celebrate the film. With the notable exception of Jefferoo, who took the fascism and went wild, few take the film seriously.

Statements like "it knows what it is," if you think about them for even a second, are totally nonsensical. If the film could know what it was, it would know that it's loaded with psychological imagery - including multiple scenes set inside people's minds. Even on a most rudimentary level, the film is about a war. I'm not the one who brought this up. Rosie the Riveter shows up. US President Barack Obama shows up. C'mon now.

Have you ever heard the phrase "If you haven't got anything nice to say then don't say anything at all"? If you take this phrase into your heart you'll save yourself a lot of time and your keyboard a lot of wear and tear.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Just to reiterate, Pacific Rim has 4 stars in The Film Dump review thread. This thread has 3. I think people know exactly what they like and they don't like.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Barry White posted:

Have you ever heard the phrase "If you haven't got anything nice to say then don't say anything at all"? If you take this phrase into your heart you'll save yourself a lot of time and your keyboard a lot of wear and tear.

This is dumb. Criticism rules, otherwise, we'd just have a big robot-themed Mass Effect thread in here and no one wants that.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, but this isn't criticism. This is "I do the same dumb poo poo in every thread, aren't I clever, tee hee."

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
In what way is reading a film's visual imagery in context with itself, the body of work it quotes, and it's social and political implications with clear citations to well known and prodigiously published contemporary cultural critics and philosophers not 'criticism'. What, then, is 'criticism'? I'm assuming it's something about toy sales?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Haha, what? Have you missed the quantities of "this movie is AWESOME" (or "this movie is DUMB but awesome", or "this movie is dumb AND awesome") posts in the thread?

quote:

Actually, no, they aren't nonsensical. The statement is a shorthand for the idea that Pacific Rim is simple and unpretentious. The things it tells you explicitly it's showing are exactly what it means to show.

I would say that it's actually an interesting problem with your optics, really. You are so used to a certain language of film that a film that ignores it is incomprehensible and alien to you. It's like you yourself on one of the previous pages mentioned:

If you like fascism and the vague idea of giant robots, but have no respect for giant monster cinema whatsoever, you should go see this movie.
I think that you were accidentally honest here: you dislike the film because it does not conform to the conventions of giant monster cinema. But Pacific Rim doesn't just ignore the conventions of kaiju movies. It also ignores some other apparent conventions. A sword is just a sword, not a phallus. You can try to decode it as a phallus - but it doesn't really work. So, you're stuck with a false decoding, while those who had never associated a sword with a phallus in the first place fare better.

Now the question becomes: how do you call a person who wants to destroy the people's liking of a movie for not conforming to conventions? Can you call them a fascist?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I'm certain I could whip up a 12 page essay on how Home Alone was an allegory for tribal warfare in Bossangoa, but it wouldn't make me any less of an idiot.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

I'm certain I could whip up a 12 page essay on how Home Alone was an allegory for tribal warfare in Bossangoa, but it wouldn't make me any less of an idiot.

You're an idiot.

e: Seriously, this has been bought up in nearly every thread in CineD, SMG and others have actually stopped to give coherent explanations of what critical analysis is and why it is important several times, defaulting to this grumpy old man reaction to critical reading at this point in this forum's life is really loving lazy (and stupid).

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 22, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Stunning rebuttal. Have any others?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Please see above.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The sword does seem like it's coded as super phallic, the movie's written and directed by men, the woman who should be the protagonist is sidelined and denied her obvious narrative primacy in favor of a dull default cipher, the movie as a whole elides and minimizes women. There's stuff to talk about here even if you find fascism-chat revolting.

I thought one of the rules of CD was that we were supposed to be down with criticism and textual analysis. Maybe I'm just a square :smith:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Home Alone is pretty straightforwardly about growing up, and you could still write a 12 page essay proving this (citing examples like the shaving scene and him overcoming his fear of the basement) and people ITT would say "nope it's just about a kid beating up dumb robbers, nice try nerd".

Sci-fi by its very nature is even more about metaphor, allegory and symbolism, but I guess none of the stuff in the movie means anything and is just cool stuff. Like the fact that the Kaiju literally are born into our world from a birth canal and then Our Heroes jump down into it to save the world, none of that imagery or whatever probably means anything.

Until you realize that the filmmakers had to have it be SOMETHING and they made the choice of what it was and they are experienced in this stuff so it maybe does mean something??? Like the Kaiju could have landed from off planet in egg-meteors, or have been grown by an evil scientist, or be mutated whales from too much pollution, or have been sent from the future by Evil Biff, or a billion other things.

The problem with this whole "reading too much into it/making stuff up" argument is that, if it was it could easily be refuted. I could easily refute any post about Home Alone being about tribal warfare in Bossangoa and I could do so with actual arguments and not just by saying "that's dumb" over and over until the problem hopefully went away. I would be interested to see you take one single point from any of SMG's posts and prove it false with words and thought.

DeathChicken posted:

Stunning rebuttal. Have any others?

Seriously, post something more than pithy one-liners.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Barry White posted:

I actually open up avenues for authentic praise.

For example, a reader might find that the film is conducive to being read as a Starship Troopers satire. I've placed the film in context with many similar films (Man Of Steel, Aliens, etc.), which can help identify its strengths.

I think folks are mixing up analysis with evaluation. I don't make that many value judgements; it's more just description. If I say that kaiju blue is the same Lacanian imagery as the black goo in Prometheus... what is cruel about that? If I say that Ras Al Ghul is a fascist character in Batman Begins, nobody bats an eye - because that's not a value judgement.

I've dissed those who stan for illiteracy, but rightfully so. The only recourse, then, is to attack me for my imagined inner feelings.

So the thread does mirror the film in that it can only sustain itself by rallying against an external intruder in the hopes of purifying the discussion - when the actual illness is, of course, capitalism. Killing me won't bring back your precious honey.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 22, 2014

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

e: Seriously, this has been bought up in nearly every thread in CineD, SMG and others have actually stopped to give coherent explanations of what critical analysis is and why it is important several times, defaulting to this grumpy old man reaction to critical reading at this point in this forum's life is really loving lazy (and stupid).
Critical thinking involves the meta-examination of statements. Saying "I think you dislike the movie because it does not follow the conventions you are accustomed to; people don't like new things and are resistant to change" is exactly that.

All I'm saying is that it could be a very good idea to broaden the scope of perception - to examine the statements, but without limiting ourselves to a particular convention. When the fascist-chat started, it started by quoting a definition of fascism according to the Fascist Manifesto; a definition that a person would not have been familiar with unless they specifically learned about the art of that period of history. A definition that isn't really a part of the current gestalt.

Guy A. Person posted:

Sci-fi by its very nature is even more about metaphor, allegory and symbolism, but I guess none of the stuff in the movie means anything and is just cool stuff. Like the fact that the Kaiju literally are born into our world from a birth canal and then Our Heroes jump down into it to save the world, none of that imagery or whatever probably means anything.

Until you realize that the filmmakers had to have it be SOMETHING and they made the choice of what it was and they are experienced in this stuff so it maybe does mean something??? Like the Kaiju could have landed from off planet in egg-meteors, or have been grown by an evil scientist, or be mutated whales from too much pollution, or have been sent from the future by Evil Biff, or a billion other things.

How about this explanation: 'Wormholes' are part of the gestalt. The term was coined in 1957. They were first shown on-screen in - what, in the original Star Trek? In short, today most everyone feels they know what a wormhole is, to the extent that when Thor movies wanted their nerdish characters to sound nerdy, they actually called them the 'Einstein-Rosen bridges'. There is also a certain way that 'wormholes' are visualised. There is a rich tradition of the way in which they are visualised. The artists could have drawn on that shorthand, knowing that the audience will be aware what is being visualised, that no one would be confused: "what is it what they are showing?"

Why limit yourself to the 'birth canal' explanation?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
There's no limitation because it is both wormhole and birth imagery.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pacific Rim is obviously not about nothing. I only think that "fascist" is an inaccurate description of the answer to its moral riddle.

This film has got Nietzsche all over it. The tagline is a huge giveaway. Raleigh is happiest when he is exercising his will to power - piloting a jaeger - and the big dramatic speech is an indictment of nihilism, an assertion that the PPDC believe in something and that the world should exist. Pentecost himself has something of the Übermensch about him, being the only pilot capable of operating a jaeger independently of anybody else, disregarding the morality of the masses (consorting with profiteer gangsters like Chau) and needing no justification. That earth is becoming more like the kaiju world is not at all inconsistent with Nietzsche's conception of eternal recurrence and his idea of amor fati, love of fate: if your actions define you, then the resolute decision to continue existing implies continuing to repeat the past. If the question is "To be or not to be," then a huge number of philosophical, political, and religious traditions that Nietzsche despised glorify the decision "not to be" and resent those who instead choose "to be."

The fascists were very selective in their reading of Nietzsche, but then, so was everybody else. Most damningly, the fascists appealed to populism in a way Nietzsche never did. Some fascist thinkers remarked that there's no way Nietzsche's writings were fascist, because he clearly favored a much older, less populist form of aristocracy. I think Hodgepodge, in this thread, was on the right track with the reason he

Hodgepodge posted:

didn't read the PPDC as fascists

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Yoshifan823 posted:

This is dumb. Criticism rules, otherwise, we'd just have a big robot-themed Mass Effect thread in here and no one wants that.

Umm are you saying that having a bunch of skoolmunkee comics about Kaiju and Jaegers wouldn't be awesome? Because that would totally be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Pacific Effect 3 endings:

-Destroy the Kaiju

-Become the Kaiju to control them

-Merge Kaiju with people

(All Jaegers get destroyed because reasons regardless of choice)

And there'd be an assassin who is hyped up as a murder machine but he likes to eat cereal or something.

• Locked thread