Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

The Radix posted:

Right. I mean, yeah, I probably am being paranoid but all you've done is list the official version of events and said you agree with them, on a show which flaunts the power of editing with every episode.

Sure. But to draw a horrible analogy, I also go along with the official version of the 1969 moon landing--partly because despite the wealth of government whistleblowers, nothing has been leaked to call the moon landing into question. The Genius' production team has its share of whistleblowers we know stuff like the Doohee episode being edited to portray some players in a better light, and the identities of the 4 future guests have been leaked but nothing like "we conspired to give Sangmin the snake card!" has come out.

And again, just think of the risk-benefit analysis of doing this. "On the one hand, we can improve Sangmin's odds of hanging on by 33%! On the other hand, some production lackey could spill the beans and our reputations will be forever disgraced." Who would take that kind of bet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Agreed on it being a horrible analogy.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Not all my ham-handed internet forum debate tactics can be winners.

Jay-V fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 21, 2014

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
You're right, nobody would ever manipulate a reality show. Imagine the consequences!

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Not saying it's 100% impossible; only that it's unlikely. Just trying to help YOU feel better if you decide the show could still possibly be interesting post-Jinho. Which is a pretty big 'if' for a lot of people, I think. But I can't stop you if your conspiracy hunch is simply too strong!

Jay-V fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 22, 2014

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Can Sangmin use the token if he loses a game, or is it only to deflect if he is chosen?

Sangmin seems invincible until the final 3. Who the hell would pick Sangmin even without the immortality token if it's possible poker could come up again?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

comedyblissoption posted:

Can Sangmin use the token if he loses a game, or is it only to deflect if he is chosen?

Sangmin seems invincible until the final 3. Who the hell would pick Sangmin even without the immortality token if it's possible poker could come up again?

Sangmin has a crap memory though and you could probably bargain for garnets from people who want to take out the token. Sangmin was also horrible at yutnori and Hap Gyul. He's got one hell of a silver tongue though.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
So when will they reveal the twist that brings Jinho back into the game? I hope the beginning of next week :yayclod:

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Jay-V posted:

Sure. But to draw a horrible analogy, I also go along with the official version of the 1969 moon landing--partly because despite the wealth of government whistleblowers, nothing has been leaked to call the moon landing into question. The Genius' production team has its share of whistleblowers we know stuff like the Doohee episode being edited to portray some players in a better light, and the identities of the 4 future guests have been leaked but nothing like "we conspired to give Sangmin the snake card!" has come out.

And again, just think of the risk-benefit analysis of doing this. "On the one hand, we can improve Sangmin's odds of hanging on by 33%! On the other hand, some production lackey could spill the beans and our reputations will be forever disgraced." Who would take that kind of bet?

You really don't understand how tightly controlled the Korean entertainment industry is. You're right that there was no conspiring. Anyone involved behind the scenes would have just considered it business as usual. Oh and if you think those "leaks" weren't rubber stamped, then your naivety is boundless.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

Tornhelm posted:

You really don't understand how tightly controlled the Korean entertainment industry is. You're right that there was no conspiring. Anyone involved behind the scenes would have just considered it business as usual. Oh and if you think those "leaks" weren't rubber stamped, then your naivety is boundless.

How do you know? Do you work in the Korean entertainment industry? What qualifies you to make such sweeping and authoritatively worded generalisations beyond (possibly) reading a few articles on allkpop.com?

I don't have a position either way yet, but I'd like to hear your response.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Soylentbits posted:

Sangmin has a crap memory though and you could probably bargain for garnets from people who want to take out the token. Sangmin was also horrible at yutnori and Hap Gyul. He's got one hell of a silver tongue though.

He was pretending to be horrible at yutnori to have the other team let their guard down. Remember, Sunggyu and him actually won that game. He completely dies in any game related to memory or speed though.

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 22, 2014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Rarity posted:

Jiwon totally deserved to win that death match. His play was spot on.
gently caress that noise. I don't know how you can say that. His play was basically the right move, yes, but so was Jinho's. Jiwon didn't "deserve" to win - or lose - and he won by pure luck of the draw.

comedyblissoption posted:

I actually think picking Sangmin is quite harmless. He just deflects it and you face someone else, and that's that. It's not particularly dangerous to the person choosing him, is it? It's just a one-time get out of jail card for Sangmin.

Tonfa posted:

He was pretending to be horrible at yutnori to have the other team let their guard down. Remember, Sunggyu and him actually won that game. He completely dies in any game related to memory or speed though.
Ha, so he claimed. Sunggyu didn't believe that and I don't really either... He might have just been trying to save face.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 22, 2014

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I hate Jiwon but that was 100% the right strategy in that situation. Now I just want to watch Sangmin wipe the floor with these morons while Yohwan catches on a day late and a dollar short and Yooyoung wears another frumpy sweater.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Of course it was the right move, but Jinho called it because Jiwon himself had a 2, and then it came down to total chance and nothing but. If Jinho had drawn the higher card in the end, would Jiwon still have "deserved" to win? The answer is that he never deserved to win, and neither did Jinho, they both made correct and almost automatic moves, and then it was just luck took care of it.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Fast Luck posted:

Of course it was the right move, but Jinho called it because Jiwon himself had a 2, and then it came down to total chance and nothing but. If Jinho had drawn the higher card in the end, would Jiwon still have "deserved" to win? The answer is that he never deserved to win, and neither did Jinho, they both made correct and almost automatic moves, and then it was just luck took care of it.

The game begun before they sat down and the cards were drawn. Jiwon understood that he had no chance against Jinho if its a long, drawn out game, because then his advantage of counting cards becomes insurmountable. The fact that they played with only 15 chips made Jinho call the all-in, which gave Jihon the victory in the end.

The rule that the pot goes onto the next hand is actually really sensible because it means calling is never a safe choice, just like folding is never safe.

With regards to Sangmins hidden immunity idol, I believe it only works up to final 5, because after that there are only 2 people who dont have an token of life so he would not able to choose someone else. Which means if they want to get rid of it they have to make him loose next week. Which is kinda stupid because he will then choose 2 people who conspired againt him to go up against each other and from the looks of it they can spend garnets next week, which means if they try to attack Sangmin he will defend himself with garnets thereby lowering the pricepool significantly.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

On one hand I'm super bummed at the outcome of this episode, but on the other it was freakin' incredible. Also if this leads to Jinho on Running Man like he said he wanted in that interview, I am all for it. :allears:

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

JakeP posted:

So when will they reveal the twist that brings Jinho back into the game? I hope the beginning of next week :yayclod:

I want to see Jinho just casually stroll in through the door in the next episode and take his place with no explanation about how he came back into the game. He doesn't get to win anything but he can still exist to gently caress people over.

Maduo posted:

On one hand I'm super bummed at the outcome of this episode, but on the other it was freakin' incredible. Also if this leads to Jinho on Running Man like he said he wanted in that interview, I am all for it. :allears:

Jinho would get slaughtered on Running Man though. Infinity Challenge on the other hand :getin:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Kegslayer posted:

Jinho would get slaughtered on Running Man though. Infinity Challenge on the other hand :getin:

This is not a spoiler, and we're several days past the episode availability. Can we please switch over to Netflix show spoiler rules, or the ep-by-ep equivalent where we don't spoiler things that are available? It's just getting pointless.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
^^^^ Yeah, that rule would make sense I think.

They should introduce some kind of mechanic where eliminated contestants can come back to take revenge and earn themselves some garnets; if the comic they're imitating can do it, so can they :v:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Factor Mystic posted:

This is not a spoiler, and we're several days past the episode availability. Can we please switch over to Netflix show spoiler rules, or the ep-by-ep equivalent where we don't spoiler things that are available? It's just getting pointless.

The main issue is that people often use this thread to find out when an episode is released (on account of it being a Korean show that has to be subtitled and all). If one comes into the thread and sees who gets eliminated randomly, it would be kind of rough.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
What about, the new page after the episode link is posted in the thread? Spoilers tags for the remainder of the page.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The BTS clip for episode 7 is great as usual.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Why the gently caress did they make a tie continue the same pot for the next cards? They should just split the pot, and return to normal betting. It doesn't make any sense. What a stupid way to go for one of the best players. Absolute luck.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Shakugan posted:

The main issue is that people often use this thread to find out when an episode is released (on account of it being a Korean show that has to be subtitled and all). If one comes into the thread and sees who gets eliminated randomly, it would be kind of rough.

This. I'm not sure what's so bad about spoilering an episode until the next episode is released? The release schedule for episodes is not consistent, so I think it would be safer to stick with that.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

gently caress that noise. I don't know how you can say that. His play was basically the right move, yes, but so was Jinho's. Jiwon didn't "deserve" to win - or lose - and he won by pure luck of the draw.

Honestly it just sounds like you're mad salty Jinho was taken out by the probably the dumbest dude on the cast left. Jiwon was really smart in that game because Jinho has shown he is a killer in these types of death matches. I mean honestly if it came down to it and if the game went any longer Jinho probably would have won. The only chance Jiwon had for winning it was just to get it over as soon as possible. Ballsy play but it paid off. I like Jinho a lot too but it would have been a bit boring if he just won the whole thing again IMO.

Fast Luck posted:

Ha, so he claimed. Sunggyu didn't believe that and I don't really either... He might have just been trying to save face.

The next episode he gets poo poo on by Songgyu and everyone and Sangmin makes a point that he has sold out stadiums and arenas in all over Korea, so of course he was going to know how to play Yutnori.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Teek posted:

This. I'm not sure what's so bad about spoilering an episode until the next episode is released? The release schedule for episodes is not consistent, so I think it would be safer to stick with that.

What is the release schedule like generally? I have been burning through this show and I want to see the next episode.

I kind of want to introduce some friends to The Genius but can't think of a good way of describing it. Are there any good short youtube clips that catch some of the finer points of the show?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

There's the international trailer in the OP but it's not really helpful... I would describe it as a show with Survivor-style eliminations, but built around weekly brain-teaser type competitions instead of on an island. Also a big difference is how much more friendly and cool and likable everyone is on The Genius except that only holds for season one. Which is the only of the two seasons that I'd give a full-throated endorsement for anyway.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Honestly it just sounds like you're mad salty Jinho was taken out by the probably the dumbest dude on the cast left. Jiwon was really smart in that game because Jinho has shown he is a killer in these types of death matches. I mean honestly if it came down to it and if the game went any longer Jinho probably would have won. The only chance Jiwon had for winning it was just to get it over as soon as possible. Ballsy play but it paid off. I like Jinho a lot too but it would have been a bit boring if he just won the whole thing again IMO.
Not really, I agree that Jiwon played it the right way for him and said as much. But that doesn't mean he "deserves" to win. Being worse at a contest than someone else and therefore shortening the match and tilting the outcome more toward chance doesn't mean you "deserve" to win. As I said, neither Jiwon nor Jinho deserved to win/lose, they both took the correct path in the game the way I see it, and it came down to chance. And when the outcome comes down to a random drawing there's no such thing as "deserves," just luck.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 23, 2014

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Not sure what luck has to do with being a genius. Besides being lucky enough to be born smart.

Kinda disliked the whole random chance aspect of the last episode for that reason. Nothing smart or social engineery about rolling dice or being assigned a random card. The games in season 2 have really gone downhill since the first one I think.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Xachariah posted:

Not sure what luck has to do with being a genius. Besides being lucky enough to be born smart.

Kinda disliked the whole random chance aspect of the last episode for that reason. Nothing smart or social engineery about rolling dice or being assigned a random card. The games in season 2 have really gone downhill since the first one I think.

Except there was a way to win that game in the main match. And only one person found it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Also, getting the winning combination required getting another player to hand you one of their dice. If two people had actually managed to work together, they could have shared the win. Genius usually goes for that combination of ingenuity and social efficacy.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

A few people almost did perfect even with imperfect dice. Didn't the congressman guy get 9/10? Didn't even know about reconfiguring till 5 minutes before it started. But yeah the first game at least had a way to use smarts.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I think that in the Death match had smarts and all that as well, the only thing was that they forced to make it luck based instead of it going through a long match instead.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Started watching this a little over a week ago, and finally caught up. In the meantime, I got 3 of my friends hooked on this show and am waiting for them to catch up.

s2e7 Sad to see Jinho go, but he cost himself the main match by not sharing his discovery with Hongchul when he had the chance. Jinho Jiwon played the Death Match to his own strengths (none), and I still can't believe that people trust Sangmin with any information at all. I expect him to have the next big target on his head, though the immortality token will make him a slippery target.

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 24, 2014

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The main thing that decided the outcome of that death match was that both players were so low on garnets. If they'd both gone into it with a solid 50 chips then things would never have worked out like that.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Rarity posted:

The main thing that decided the outcome of that death match was that both players were so low on garnets. If they'd both gone into it with a solid 50 chips then things would never have worked out like that.

They could have had 100000 chips, it would have gone the same way. If your opponent all-ins and is showing the worst possible card, how do you not call?

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

Lone Goat posted:

They could have had 100000 chips, it would have gone the same way. If your opponent all-ins and is showing the worst possible card, how do you not call?

By recognizing that if you both have the same card, it becomes 50% you lose.
If they had 50 chips, Jinho might have folded, because bluffing an all-in is pretty crazy when the ante is 2% of your stack, so both players mihjt have the 2.

At 15 chips, Jinho had to surrender 7% of his stack to fold, which he couldn't do. Especially since it was possible that Jiwon would all-in regardless of Jinho's card.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

Well, you realize that your opponent doing that on the very first bet of the match where you are strongly favored, especially when you can make the match go on longer, means that you almost certainly have the worst card as well. Then you don't take the bait that would throw the match to random chance.

The thing that a lot of the people saying "That was the only way to play :smug:" are forgetting is that it was the first bet. Jinho knew just as much as Jiwon that his advantage would grow over time. And at the same time he hadn't a chance to get a feel for Jiwon's play. There was no opportunity to learn and react. Losing 1/15 of your capital on the first bet is nothing.

Now if that had happened on the third hand then, yes, Jinho should have called. He'd have some context and a bit more of a feeling for the situation. It still would be the wrong move in the end, but he'd have a framework that would guide him to that wrong decision. As it is, I'm pretty sure he was planning on going all-in and got stuck in that mode of thought rather than thinking it through.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Yeah, let me not take this bet where I'm 95% to win. Good strategy.

e: just noticed a typo in my previous post, if that makes a difference. fixed it there.

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 24, 2014

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
The thing is that the fact your opponent can see your card and you can't makes normal poker strategy way less applicable and it becomes wayyy more about psychology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

If I was in Jinho's seat, I think Jiwon would push all-in if I was showing any non-pair 4 or lower.