Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I just rewatched the finale and I love how Ichabod went on a rant about the ruination of the free market, how horrible modern consumerism is and all the mass brainwashing advertisements that are thrown at you then immediately segues into saying his phone is too old and he wants an iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

KilGrey posted:

I just rewatched the finale and I love how Ichabod went on a rant about the ruination of the free market, how horrible modern consumerism is and all the mass brainwashing advertisements that are thrown at you then immediately segues into saying his phone is too old and he wants an iPhone.

Mison's delivery of 'you have one....' was so perfect.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

KilGrey posted:

He's starting to fit in nicely.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

KilGrey posted:

That's kind of the point. Ichabod goes on his rant because he knows the adverts have brainwashed him into wanting an iPhone. He's angry because he's been manipulated.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mison totally makes this show work. He's a real deal dramatic actor who is taking what is frankly some ridiculous material seriously, and he's just killing it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
None of the cast phones it in. They all take what they know is absolutely batshit insane material and sell the everloving poo poo out of it. I have never had more respect for Orlando Jones than from from this series. He is amazing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

None of the cast phones it in. They all take what they know is absolutely batshit insane material and sell the everloving poo poo out of it. I have never had more respect for Orlando Jones than from from this series. He is amazing.

Oh I wasn't implying that at all, it just starts with the lead, but yeah, all the actors are great. You're right, Jones is a pleasant surprise, he can really act.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I just saw Tom Mison in Parade's End playing an upperclass twit named Potty. He was good and all, but the character is so one-note you'd never guess Mison had all that wry humor and charm inside of him. :allears:

But he did look cute with a handlebar mustache.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

None of the cast phones it in.

Except when they actually do phone it in, and then it's hilarious.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rabbit Hill posted:

I just saw Tom Mison in Parade's End playing an upperclass twit named Potty. He was good and all, but the character is so one-note you'd never guess Mison had all that wry humor and charm inside of him. :allears:

But he did look cute with a handlebar mustache.

Watch him in Slingers!

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I'm going to assume that my own prediction of where everyone will be in terms of the resolution of the current situation is going to be true (Jenny clears Irving by "confessing" to "his crimes" then exchanges herself for Abbie and remains in Purgatory to become the "ghostly dream person" who communicates things to her sister and that Katrina and Ichabod are rescued from their captivities). Mostly because it makes the most sense to me in terms of the main cast (Katia Winter needs to be with the rest of her castmates

Assuming that's all true (and ) I'm looking forward to see what happens going forward. Figure Irving is probably going to be put under closer scrutiny regarding his decisions due to confessing to murders he did not commit. Having Katrina there in the flesh is going to be a big change as well. I can see the potential for tension and jealously between Abbie and Katrina. Abbie might begin to feel unnecessary in the face of Katrina's powerful magic (which will be very necessary to help protect everyone from War's magic, which also means that Katrina can't be exchanged back into Purgatory to free Jenny). Meanwhile Katrina might be concerned about the strong bond her husband has formed with another woman from this alien world. I predict that Katrina will have far more difficulty (and far less interest) in assimilating into the modern world. I don't see a gun vs magic catfight brewing, but there's definitely some story space to be explored in these relationships and situations.

johntfs fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 23, 2014

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I would actually be cool with Abbie being in purgatory for like half a season if it means we get a lot of freaky creepy ghost people scenes. Maybe she could befriend some of them.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

mr.capps posted:

I would actually be cool with Abbie being in purgatory for like half a season if it means we get a lot of freaky creepy ghost people scenes. Maybe she could befriend some of them.

The best part of the show for me is the interaction between Abbie and Ichabod. I think it'd be a mistake to separate them for so long. Figure you could do much the same thing (creepy ghosts and such) with Jenny. Maybe she could befriend some ghosts and learn to use her "mental patient" powers to manipulate the ghost world and gently caress with Moloch in order to keep him occupied over there while the rest of the crew deal with Henry (who will most likely be the "Big Bad" for Season 2) in the mortal realm.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

mr.capps posted:

Yes! As much as I loved the insanity of the finale, I was a bit wary at first of where everybody ended up, since it puts the writers kind of out of their element. But I like the idea of Abbie meeting some ghost pals :3:

Also, thinking back on it, I'd enjoy the entire Abbie/Ichabod dynamic of "this is how the future works" applied to Katrina and the Horseman, except the Horseman is always gesticulating furiously and just sort of gives up after a while and goes to chill with Moloch or Skeleton John Cho or whatever because it's impossible to explain how cable TV works when you don't have a head and also your guest is screaming all the time.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

johntfs posted:

Figure you could do much the same thing (creepy ghosts and such) with Jenny. Maybe she could befriend some ghosts and learn to use her "mental patient" powers to manipulate the ghost world and gently caress with Moloch in order to keep him occupied over there while the rest of the crew deal with Henry.

This would also be consistent with Jenny's history of martyrdom whereby she imprisons herself for Abbie. And, yeah, they need to do something to unite the primary cast.

The Irving plot is pretty unnecessary, though. In general, it should be obvious Irving is lying about his confession, and that his paraplegic daughter probably couldn't murder people that way. Nothing about it really adds up, and it's probably confusing to the medical examiner that someone used one hand to turn a priest's head 180°. Least of all a 13 year old in a wheelchair.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Bram just doesn't realize how low the ceilings in his hovel are, thus Christina is smacking her head on the crossbeams over and over as he drags her from torture chamber to torture chamber.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

SexyBlindfold posted:

Also, thinking back on it, I'd enjoy the entire Abbie/Ichabod dynamic of "this is how the future works" applied to Katrina and the Horseman, except the Horseman is always gesticulating furiously and just sort of gives up after a while and goes to chill with Moloch or Skeleton John Cho or whatever because it's impossible to explain how cable TV works when you don't have a head and also your guest is screaming all the time.

Sleepy Hollow, Season 5: Ichabod and the Horseman become begrudging roommates. The Horseman can't understand the microwave, but Ichabod shows off by almost making it heat a cup of water. Then they spend half an episode trying out fake gag heads that will allow the Horseman to go out in public.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Crisco Kid posted:

Sleepy Hollow, Season 5: Ichabod and the Horseman become begrudging roommates. The Horseman can't understand the microwave, but Ichabod shows off by almost making it heat a cup of water. Then they spend half an episode trying out fake gag heads that will allow the Horseman to go out in public.

Season 5? Oh, please. Figure that will happen in early Season 3, maybe even before the middle of Season 2.

As for Henry/Jeremy, they just need to feed him some Red Vines dusted with LSD to turn him good (if somewhat flaky and temperamental).

johntfs fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 23, 2014

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

SexyBlindfold posted:

Yes! As much as I loved the insanity of the finale, I was a bit wary at first of where everybody ended up, since it puts the writers kind of out of their element. But I like the idea of Abbie meeting some ghost pals :3:

I picture him furiously scribbling 'SHUT UP!!!' in giant block letters and holding it up to her---only, no head so he can't tell he's got it upside-down.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Crisco Kid posted:

I know this is a joke but seriously the headless horseman is going to end up being a good guy again over the course of this show.

e: its going to be exactly like Return of the Jedi, Jeremy is going to be shooting warlock lightning at Crane as The Horseman silently watches.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 23, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mark Goffman alludes to where the show is going to pick up next season. I'm spoilering it because of sensibilities, but it honestly doesn't give much away, so don't fear mousing over.

quote:

I don't want to say yet. But the great thing about the way this show is crafted is that we don't have to start in real time. We can begin in dream sequences, we can begin with a flashback to parts of the past and tell some of these stories. But I think it's pretty important to me that we get them both out pretty quickly. We know that Crane is in the coffin, so the clock is ticking quickly. He's in a lot of jeopardy so we have to face that very quickly and not take too long before addressing it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I just realized that they've gone so far towards insanity that a plot like "the Masons show up and attempt to do some crazy poo poo" would be totally mundane by now.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I like to think the network execs try to write notes on this and just break down sobbing in confusion...

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

Ravenfood posted:

I just realized that they've gone so far towards insanity that a plot like "the Masons show up and attempt to do some crazy poo poo" would be totally mundane by now.

Wait you JUST NOW thought the Masons show up and attempt crazy poo poo is mundane? Wasn't that like episode 4? I'm fully ready for Zombie Thomas Jefferson, we haven't seen his corpse and Ichabod has to yell at TJ for sleeping with his slave and stealing his quotes.

I also hope they keep zombie/alien John Cho and make him a Horseman. I feel it's kinda going that way with how much he loves Abbie.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Going into this, I would have never anticipated John Cho's corpse getting more grotesque and mutilated as time went on. Now I'm just ready for all the hideous transformations.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

johntfs posted:

I'm going to assume that my own prediction of where everyone will be in terms of the resolution of the current situation is going to be true (Jenny clears Irving by "confessing" to "his crimes" then exchanges herself for Abbie and remains in Purgatory to become the "ghostly dream person" who communicates things to her sister and that Katrina and Ichabod are rescued from their captivities). Mostly because it makes the most sense to me in terms of the main cast (Katia Winter needs to be with the rest of her castmates

Assuming that's all true (and ) I'm looking forward to see what happens going forward. Figure Irving is probably going to be put under closer scrutiny regarding his decisions due to confessing to murders he did not commit. Having Katrina there in the flesh is going to be a big change as well. I can see the potential for tension and jealously between Abbie and Katrina. Abbie might begin to feel unnecessary in the face of Katrina's powerful magic (which will be very necessary to help protect everyone from War's magic, which also means that Katrina can't be exchanged back into Purgatory to free Jenny). Meanwhile Katrina might be concerned about the strong bond her husband has formed with another woman from this alien world. I predict that Katrina will have far more difficulty (and far less interest) in assimilating into the modern world. I don't see a gun vs magic catfight brewing, but there's definitely some story space to be explored in these relationships and situations.

I'm not an Abbie/Ichabod shipper (not that you have to be to have this opinion), but personally if it's between Katrina and Jenny, I hope Katrina either goes back to Purgatory or moves on elsewhere and we get Jenny back. Jenny is awesome, Katrina is... not.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
No, keep her in the living world so that we can have two characters trying to adapt to modern day instead of just one. Then send one or more of the others back in time so we can have them reacting to how things were in Ichabod's time.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I just want a scene where Ichabod is trying to be all cool showing off all the wonders of the modern world to Katrina, getting ready to smugly explain what a car is and her just instantly figuring it out before he gets a chance. Then he makes a sad face.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, that's about the only way to handle that, is inverting his wonder into her utter apathy.

"And men can now fly. Fly! We've even been to the moon! Can you imagine?"

"Yes. I can fly as well. It's called magic."

":qq:"

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah, that's about the only way to handle that, is inverting his wonder into her utter apathy.

"And men can now fly. Fly! We've even been to the moon! Can you imagine?"

"Yes. I can fly as well. It's called magic."

":qq:"

For me the funniest would be if Ichabod start explaining something, she roll her eye and finish the explanation for him. Then she add:"I wasn't dead Ichabod, I was in Limbo".

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I just realized, if the Horsemen so far are people who are connected to Crane, I wonder what's stopping one of them from being Victor Garber...

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Pwnstar posted:

Then he makes a sad face.

Colon, open parenthesis?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Dantes posted:

For me the funniest would be if Ichabod start explaining something, she roll her eye and finish the explanation for him. Then she add:"I wasn't dead Ichabod, I was in Limbo".
That would actually be a cool thing if they show that Katrina has been following technological development by talking to more recently deceased souls.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Asehujiko posted:

That would actually be a cool thing if they show that Katrina has been following technological development by talking to more recently deceased souls.

It would be interesting if she was up on current events but lacked the practical skills. She knows what a blender is but doesn't know how to operate it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Compendium posted:

I just realized, if the Horsemen so far are people who are connected to Crane, I wonder what's stopping one of them from being Victor Garber...

Whether or not Victor Garber wants to do another TV series? That would be awesome though, because a) we get more Victor Garber, and b) Ichabod gets to be on both ends of a "No, gently caress YOU, Dad!" generational pissing match.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

nine-gear crow posted:

Whether or not Victor Garber wants to do another TV series? That would be awesome though, because a) we get more Victor Garber, and b) Ichabod gets to be on both ends of a "No, gently caress YOU, Dad!" generational pissing match.

If they were able to get a cool actor like him to do a small part for the season finale, something tells me they have more plans in the future for him. Jeremy and Grandpa Crane can bond over their hate for Ichabod.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Really late, but :tviv: The finale owned all the bones

If Zombie GW, Benjy, and TJeff don't lead the modern equivalent of The Charge of the Light Brigade to free the heroes at the start Season 2, then :colbert:

Was it ever explained how CHo started working for Moloch to begin with? Satanic Ritual?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Bram the Horseman was waiting for Andy in his apartment. We don't see what happens after the Horseman gets up from the chair in the living room, but in Andy's very next appearance he's heel-turned. And then later on, Moloch kills him.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I thought it was implied he'd been working for Moloch before the horseman appeared. He seemed to expect him there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah, it's a little vague, but we can infer that Andy's been dabbling with the dark side for a long while. Bring it on season 2, he can only be mostly dead at this point! We need to learn more!

• Locked thread