Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I'm sick of paying $20 every track day for timing, what's a good place to buy an AMB transponder from, and what should I look for in one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's only one AMB transponder and it's $400.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Phone posted:

There's only one AMB transponder and it's $400.

They upped the price I think to $489 recently?

I think we might still have a few new in box AMB transponders for sale. If you or anyone else is interested I can find out how many (if any) are left and how much they are.

We got a big discount from MyLaps when we bought our timing system. So the cost per unit is lower than what they charge on the site.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 15, 2014

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

aventari posted:

I'm running that size on my E30 with a 15x8 wheel. It fits perfectly. I'm sure the 15x9 would work well too.

If you get a chance try them on a 9" wheel, the difference is astounding. I was originally looking at 15x8's cause they'll fit a bit better (I may have to roll the fenders to fit. It's close but until I can flog them on the car with my suspension I won't know.) but having driven the tire on an 8" & a 9" the difference was big. The 8" felt really squirmy, could feel the sidewalls moving around, where as that was almost gone on the 9" wheels. I'm lucky they're are a bunch of miata drivers around here with lots of different setups who are willing to let me have a run in their car, it's made the whole what do I want to buy process much easier.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

Amazon prime wins. Thanks.

I'm also in the tire market. I'm looking to get a set just for the track, not street. My car is an IS350, so a little on the heavy side. I'm considering the R-S3's now that people have been talking about it here, or the considerably less expensive Bridgestone S-04. Would one be better than the other for a car that isn't so lightweight?

I would consider an r comp if it's track only, but you will need a better alignment and suspension to keep them happy. Bfg r1, ventus TD, r888, nt01, r6 or c51

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I was hoping to do a couple trackdays this year in my current mr2 and hopefully manage to make it to spa/nurburgring.

So I have a brake pad question, my old mr2 had carbotechs all round on the oem brakes and it was great on track apart from the pedal going a bit long at the end. I honestly cant remember what compound they were and I think theyve changed their naming.

It looks like my car is going to need some new pads soon, but the only problem is that this one has aftermarket front calipers. After speaking to the manufacturer (small uk company who make kits for sprints and other club racing series) the pad needed is one for a willwood dynalite caliper #7112 with cotter pin.

Currently it looks like the fronts are ferrodo DS2500s and the rears are some sort of carbotech, which I dont think is an ideal combination.

So after a bit of research the companies that make pads in the correct sizes for both axles are as follows

Carbotech
Porterfield
Hawk
EBC

I'm most inclined to go with the carbotech xp8s as i've had good experience with carbotech already, but I dont realy know much about porterfield and hawk. Ebc i've used in the past but have not been impressed, but apparently their compounds have changed since. The only thing I dont like about carbotechs are the amount of dust they produce.

Streetability is a bit of a concern, but not major as I did about 2000 miles in it last year. Also will be running on fairly crap T1-Rs till I get my other set of wheels sorted in a month or so.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

jamal posted:

I would consider an r comp if it's track only, but you will need a better alignment and suspension to keep them happy. Bfg r1, ventus TD, r888, nt01, r6 or c51

The DEs I'm looking to do requires street tires, no r comp allowed for my run group. I am also very much a beginner, so maybe I should have clarified. The car is my DD, but I'm going to get a separate set of tires/wheels for the track.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Run Rivals or R-S3s, you'll have a blast.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

bald and fail II posted:

I'm most inclined to go with the carbotech xp8s as i've had good experience with carbotech already, but I dont realy know much about porterfield and hawk. Ebc i've used in the past but have not been impressed, but apparently their compounds have changed since. The only thing I dont like about carbotechs are the amount of dust they produce.

Do you remember which EBC compounds you used? I've tracked yellow and blue in a heavy car without much issue. I know they've gone through a couple formula revisions in the past couple years, but the latest blues were really good to me. I think they are the mystical unicorn dual duty pad.

Don't be afraid to mix and match pads front and rear. I have to because of my limited selection. You might be happier doing that in a car like an MR2 that likes to spin.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Do you remember which EBC compounds you used? I've tracked yellow and blue in a heavy car without much issue. I know they've gone through a couple formula revisions in the past couple years, but the latest blues were really good to me. I think they are the mystical unicorn dual duty pad.

Don't be afraid to mix and match pads front and rear. I have to because of my limited selection. You might be happier doing that in a car like an MR2 that likes to spin.

I used red which felt worse than oem toyota pads, I didnt feel confident enough to use them on track so I switched to carbotechs instead which were so much better.

Edit: after a bit of research there seems to be allot of conflicting opinions on bluestuff, well enough to put me off buying anything ebc again

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 16, 2014

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

Phone posted:

Run Rivals or R-S3s, you'll have a blast.

Awesome, thanks.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I was wondering if anyone got this on video, this guy got a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYWIz7I3H8U&t=729s

There were a couple 911 GT3 Cups at the track busting rear end around there. Pretty sweet but one of them wrecked in the banking, the way they pass the Atom they gotta be doing 140+ through there :drat:.

poo poo load of Porsches in that group.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wouldn't be surprised if he lost it for the same reason Will Power gave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8otRz0bJ1OE&t=1s

Those seams are bastards and a 911 GT3 is easily hauling enough speed through there to be upset by them in a bad way.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Bumming Your Scene posted:

There were a couple 911 GT3 Cups at the track busting rear end around there. Pretty sweet but one of them wrecked in the banking, the way they pass the Atom they gotta be doing 140+ through there :drat:.

GT3 Cup cars are SERIOUS kit. A couple of shops around here run them and every time I see one driving out on track they're stunning. I really would love to own one but they cost a fortune to run.

VVVV Agreed, compared to their pro racing counterparts it's somewhat cheap. However, pro racing in general is not cheap. The math I've done says between 2 to 3 thousand dollars a hour of operation VVVV

Aurune fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 19, 2014

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
GT3 Cup/RSR cars are what you get when an OEM manufacturer builds a race car. Used ones are fairly inexpensive for the level of reliability and speed you get.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Savington posted:

GT3 Cup/RSR cars are what you get when an OEM manufacturer builds a race car. Used ones are fairly inexpensive for the level of reliability and speed you get.

A friend of mine bought a 430 challenge recently for his drift/car control business, very serious but of kit and I was surprised how much it cost.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

jamal posted:

Those tires were great 5 years ago but now they suck.

He wants RS3s.

I talked to Neal at Tire Rack and they have 2 sets of new 200 UTQG rated RS-3s in 255/35/18 coming in a couple of weeks. I ordered a set and he is going to keep me updated and let me know when they get in and shipped. Hopefully they don't pooch it and ship me a set of 140 UTQGs.

We'll see how they work until I get a custom wheel and thinking a 295/30 Yoko A048.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Despite the soft side walls, I just bought some RS-3s. They were quite a bit cheaper than RE-11as. We'll see how that goes, I guess I can always add more air!

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

bald and fail II posted:

A friend of mine bought a 430 challenge recently for his drift/car control business, very serious but of kit and I was surprised how much it cost.

The really good thing about 430 challenge cars vs 430 street cars is Ferrari still has crate motors for them available. If you blow up your 430 street motor, you are pretty much SOL.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

emoltra posted:

I have one of these, I'm pretty happy with it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00404WDUC/

I got this Friday. It is excellent and everything I hoped it would be. I actually ordered another one to give to my brother.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I know Phone spends a lot of time at VIR and I'm sure others here do. What's the opinion on Rezoom HPDE events? I think I want to get my miata up there for their march 7th event.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Sadi posted:

I know Phone spends a lot of time at VIR and I'm sure others here do. What's the opinion on Rezoom HPDE events? I think I want to get my miata up there for their march 7th event.

I haven't heard of them. You should run the next month with THSCC on North course.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Phone posted:

I haven't heard of them. You should run the next month with THSCC on North course.

The March event is only 1 day but it's full corse and only $250. Price is my primary motivator. Though $450 for two days isn't bad.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You'll only pay $425. I know that $25 will make it or break it.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Tarheel has also run first time student specials in the past as well.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
SoCal- Autoclub speedway Roval, Saturday 2/15

I just signed up for this event. I've never done the ROVAL. It looks kind of boring with it being way too fast and not enough corners, but it's less than half the distance of any other track so I have to give it a try.
Anyone run this track before?

http://www.speedventures.com/events/eventdetail.aspx?id=457

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Which group are you in? Blue group is going to be crazy slow the first session or two because they will be doing lead-follow instruction with people that probably haven't been on a track before. That first session could be good for you just to see the track layout, but the lap times will be like 3 minutes. If you're comfortable on the track you can ask to go into the purple group after so you're with drivers that know track etiquette and are comfortable running at speed with each other.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

aventari posted:

I just signed up for this event. I've never done the ROVAL. It looks kind of boring with it being way too fast and not enough corners, but it's less than half the distance of any other track so I have to give it a try.

Raced there with NASA Honda Challenge back in like '06. It is quite fast, prior to turn-in to T3, check mirrors paying close attention for street cars with faded brakes or inattentive drivers plowing down the inside (T3 is the first turn off the oval) because that poo poo happens constantly.

Also, the track looks like a proud, sturdy dong.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Stardotstar posted:

Raced there with NASA Honda Challenge back in like '06. It is quite fast, prior to turn-in to T3, check mirrors paying close attention for street cars with faded brakes or inattentive drivers plowing down the inside (T3 is the first turn off the oval) because that poo poo happens constantly.

Also, the track looks like a proud, sturdy dong.

Actually it looks like something far more proud:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Don't suppose any of you guys are near the Western New York region, are you? Both the Finger Lakes Region and the West New York region websites I found through the SCCA site are seem to be quite dead, haven't updated schedules or much going on their forums. Really want to find out where I can take my car this year (just moved here a few months ago) but man, car websites really have the shittiest websites.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Sab669 posted:

Don't suppose any of you guys are near the Western New York region, are you? Both the Finger Lakes Region and the West New York region websites I found through the SCCA site are seem to be quite dead, haven't updated schedules or much going on their forums. Really want to find out where I can take my car this year (just moved here a few months ago) but man, car websites really have the shittiest websites.

I hear ya - I am part of the mohud SCCA near Albany, not western but still upstate. http://www.mohud-scca.org/

Website isn't great but updated better than it used to be - join up if you want to do some autocross and occasional track day.

I just grabbed a Fiesta ST with a main focus on tracking it - I plan on some Toyo R888's and some hawk pads if I can find them - anything else I should consider? I am running DOT4 fluid and it came with Recaro seats stock. Handling is off the charts good from the factory so I think with tires and pads I'll be good to go.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Does New York Safety Track run cars or just bikes?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Which group are you in? Blue group is going to be crazy slow the first session or two because they will be doing lead-follow instruction with people that probably haven't been on a track before. That first session could be good for you just to see the track layout, but the lap times will be like 3 minutes. If you're comfortable on the track you can ask to go into the purple group after so you're with drivers that know track etiquette and are comfortable running at speed with each other.

There's 5 groups running

Red - ADVANCED drivers comfortable with open passing and race-like conditions.
Green - Advanced and High Intermediate Drivers comfortable with open passing and race-like conditions.
Black - HIGH-INTERMEDIATE drivers. Point-by passing only, anywhere on track.
Purple - Solid INTERMEDIATE drivers with 5+ events. Point-by passing only, anywhere on track.
Blue - LOW-INTERMEDIATE drivers or NOVICE drivers (with an instructor). Point-by passing only, in designated areas.

I'm running green group.

I usually run red or green group at Buttonwillow and Streets--my E30 is nearly always the lowest HP car and one of the only ones not on race tires, but I don't hold anyone up and usually end up mid pack. I move over quickly and get passed and I pass a few people. I'm comfortable with race conditions after doing Lemons and Chump.
I really like Speedventures events too, compared to say.. Xtremespeed..

The only thing is that it will take me a few laps to get up to speed with this unfamiliar track. I'll be watching a lot of in-car youtube vids.

Octopus Magic posted:

Actually it looks like something far more proud:

holy poo poo that's is so awesomely terrible lol

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

aventari posted:

I loving love the Roval. I hoping to make it for that weekend, seeing as I live about 40mins away...

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

aventari posted:

ROVAL ROVAL ROVAL

The Roval at fontucky's a blast, despite the lack of tight technical sections, I don't think you'll find yourself bored; especially seeing it's your first time out there.

As others have mentioned, T3 is an idiot check, seeing as drivers will often push their limits heading into it while fighting the long banked sweep. T16's all about prep, probably my favorite section of infield. Mind the off camber section as you shoot into T18, it makes things interesting.

Seems like socal weekend racers are popping out of the woodwork. Do I smell a future track day meet?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Here is a video of my friend driving around the roval if you need some tips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVtdrdP0V1o&t=92s

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Oh if you're in green group, then you'll get it sorted quick enough

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
The two wrecks I've seen at the roval were after the exit to T19 coming on to the banking. There's also a little ridge there that can upset the car.

The other thing that took me a bunch of time to get right was slowing down sufficiently for the T12/T13 complex. It's tempting to carry way to much speed into T12 which just fucks up your approach to everything after that

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://vimeo.com/14489137#at=0
Jesus fuckballs that was close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I like how casual about it he was. Just briefly glances in the mirror and that's it