Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
I'll 1-up you with this:

https://twitter.com/Marc_IRL/status/426466903909859328

wylker fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

I keep crashing whenever I click this link, odd. What does it say?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

m2pt5 posted:

Also, this alone is fun:

Source: http://goo.gl/1oAarG

The modder is appearently rallying people ingame by linking to the thread.

This is glorious.

It's like the Kristallnacht, just with less holocaust and more childish tears.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

There is a disappointing lack of flowerchild :hurr: in that thread.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

I feel a great disturbance in the mod community, as if millions of adfly pennies suddenly cried out in terror , and were suddenly silenced.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Dunno-Lars posted:

The modder is appearently rallying people ingame by linking to the thread.

This is glorious.

It's like the Kristallnacht, just with less holocaust and more childish tears.

Which modder is that?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Taffer posted:

Which modder is that?

Guff

And it is according to this guy posting in the thread: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1775798-164050-plunder-rummage-forge-9111dynamic-treasure-hunting/page__st__360#entry28274768

I am not on his approved list of modpacks, so I can't check myself. I haven't asked for permission. :D

Edit:

quote:

OK, now it seems that Guff has resorted to using Plunder Rummage itself in-game to really people to this thread as a call to arms.

Remind me exactly what legal penalties will be exacted if someone uses a mod without permission in a modpack? Because if there arn't any, there isn't any reason to require it.

wasd \fa\F \ FIIIIIjkfnklzsjf\lfgssegserg I
f f F\FZSFZFZDFZ FGHYDRDCR

Edit2:

I didn't notice! He put up a poll!

Dunno-Lars fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 23, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Funny, I know about Plunder Rummage because a friend of mine tried installing it on our Wylker-pack server and couldn't figure out why nothing showed up in-game despite the mod being listed as active. Turns out, unsurprisingly, that it detects Technic and shuts itself down. Which is funny because the pack doesn't even include PR, it was manually installed and downloaded, so I have no idea why Guff would still want it deactivated in such a case. I guess mods have gotten to the point where every individual person needs permission to use it.

I feel like Guff and people like him must believe this somehow undermines Technic, when in reality it just hurts people who want to play his mod. And frankly, it just looks like "go to x,y, dig up treasure chest" so it's not even a big deal. Maybe if it generated a little dungeon each time, that could be neat.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Don't some of these popular packs at least in the ATL launcher wait for permission from the modders so they can get help from the mod maker if their pack doesn't work properly?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Funny, I know about Plunder Rummage because a friend of mine tried installing it on our Wylker-pack server and couldn't figure out why nothing showed up in-game despite the mod being listed as active. Turns out, unsurprisingly, that it detects Technic and shuts itself down. Which is funny because the pack doesn't even include PR, it was manually installed and downloaded, so I have no idea why Guff would still want it deactivated in such a case. I guess mods have gotten to the point where every individual person needs permission to use it.

I feel like Guff and people like him must believe this somehow undermines Technic, when in reality it just hurts people who want to play his mod. And frankly, it just looks like "go to x,y, dig up treasure chest" so it's not even a big deal. Maybe if it generated a little dungeon each time, that could be neat.

Honestly, I think modders like that block everyone who uses technic because checking the install directory is the only thing they know how to do.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Honestly, I think modders like that block everyone who uses technic because checking the install directory is the only thing they know how to do.

Which is hilarious because Technic lets you install to any directory you like to bypass this sort of thing.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

m2pt5 posted:

Also, this alone is fun:

Source: http://goo.gl/1oAarG

Oh my. :awesome:

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Oh, this is glorious. :allears:

Seems I got it mostly right a while back when I was arguing about what the changed EULA meant. :toot:

Edit: Yeah, I thought it was pretty clear. I'm mostly just feeling schadenfreude over the 'modders rights' guys being wrong, honestly.
vvv

Inepta Lacerta fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 24, 2014

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:
To be fair, anyone of relatively lukewarm IQ read it that way too.

Unfortunately the modders rights folks don't fall in that category

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

BrightGreenLine posted:

To be fair, anyone of relatively lukewarm IQ read it that way too.

Unfortunately the modders rights folks don't fall in that category

None of Mojang's code is in my mod, it's not derivative!!! :downswords:

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
It's probably just a desire to read it in a way that supports already held beliefs more than anything.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Marc is such a cool guy. :allears:

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Oh so as it turns out that modder was actually a puppetmaster the whole time, their poll was a social experiment and he was totally getting ready to put up a DRM-free version before everything blew up, you guys, also hahaha look at all you whingy assholes talking about me.

Losers, losers never change.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Pidmon posted:

Oh so as it turns out that modder was actually a puppetmaster the whole time, their poll was a social experiment and he was totally getting ready to put up a DRM-free version before everything blew up, you guys, also hahaha look at all you whingy assholes talking about me.

Has "social experiment" ever not been code for "I hosed up and don't want to admit it"?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Pidmon posted:

You should totally link the post so people can see it in all its glory.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1775798-164050-plunder-rummage-forge-9111dynamic-treasure-hunting/page__st__360#entry28281638

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
So, how long until the big explosion comes when someone starts actually using that quote in a way that causes drama?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to hear the song he wrote :allears:

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Cerevisiae posted:

It's probably just a desire to read it in a way that supports already held beliefs more than anything.

Yeah, I have to deal with that kind of stuff at work once every few months, and if anything, the smarter someone is and the more they know about the law, the more likely they are to dispute the meaning of dead obvious legal clauses if they don't want to follow them.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Itemducts seem to be acting really weird with my barrels and I keep having poo poo just plain disappear. I have a chest at the end to pick up anything that doesn't get sorted into a barrel, but it still just seems to be eating my items completely.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

Reason posted:

Itemducts seem to be acting really weird with my barrels and I keep having poo poo just plain disappear. I have a chest at the end to pick up anything that doesn't get sorted into a barrel, but it still just seems to be eating my items completely.

Right now none of the TE stuff likes to cross the boundaries between force loaded chunks. They sorta know about it but don't have a great answer yet. I don't know if this is your issue or not.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Really, people should just report that post to Curse as breaking their Trolling policies as well as breaking their Flame and Provoking policies. He outright admits to doing both.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 24, 2014

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Just got trapped in a bare knuckled stone wall cage match with an enderman. Lesson learned: it doesn't matter if you built a roof over your head if you dig the ender ore underneath you.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

My apologies, I posted that at the end of my last break at work.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I realized I'm really only using Mekanism for its green generators anymore. If Thermal Expansion (or some simple, standalone mod that was able to avoid the downward spiral of clutter) would add solar and wind generators I'd be pretty well set.
That said, the only reason I even really want to remove it is that monsters keep spawning with ridiculously powerful Mek weapons and armor, which is already a bad thing before they become infernal. If I could just remove that, if they'd just add a config option, I wouldn't care to remove Mek in the first place. This feels like RedPower volcanoes and rubber trees all over again.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Vib Rib posted:

I realized I'm really only using Mekanism for its green generators anymore. If Thermal Expansion (or some simple, standalone mod that was able to avoid the downward spiral of clutter) would add solar and wind generators I'd be pretty well set.
That said, the only reason I even really want to remove it is that monsters keep spawning with ridiculously powerful Mek weapons and armor, which is already a bad thing before they become infernal. If I could just remove that, if they'd just add a config option, I wouldn't care to remove Mek in the first place. This feels like RedPower volcanoes and rubber trees all over again.

You can ditch the Mekanism Tools module, if you don't mind losing the osmium/etc tools and armor altogether.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
In other news, the Artifacts mod is rad as hell.
It creates totally random tiered equipment, including armor, weapons, tools, and a new category of accessories/trinkets, with random effects and power levels. The items can range from cute but useless gimmicks to bizarre and powerful. I just got my first one and it's a doozy:

As long as I have it in my inventory, I have a massive jump boost.
Right-clicking fires an arrow from nowhere that explodes enormously at the cost of durability.
Holding it actively causes its durability to drain slowly, while other items recover. This includes armor as well as tools.
And if I ever want to get rid of it, dropping it on the floor will turn it into roughly 30 (!) emeralds, at full durability.
I can't seem to get the "digs big holes" figured out though.
In short, it's incredible.

If you're going to use this mod, I really strongly advise adding it to more loot tables, because as it stands it only adds a tiny chance for the artifacts to spawn in vanilla chests (strongholds, jungle temples, etc), and that's it, so you'll basically never see one. However, it works great with Infernal Mobs: just add the all purpose "artifact" item to the loot table for all three tiers of special mob, then add one artifact armor of each tier* to the appropriate loot tables. I have leather and gold for rare mobs (because of gold's very low durability), leather, gold, chain, and iron at for ultra mobs, and all including diamond for inferno mobs. While you're there, couldn't hurt to pare down the lists a little bit to make artifacts more likely, especially at the top tiers. Chances are you've got nothing to gain from most of their weapon drops anyway.
*Even though the item list will show 4 items for each armor tier (e.g. gold boots, chestplate, helmet, and leggings), any item from that tier can produce any armor piece. So even if the list only shows "iron artifact leggings", when they actually drop it's randomly turned into a helmet, leggings, boots, or chestplate. So only one of each material type is needed in a list.
As an added bonus this makes fighting Infernal Mobs actually fun because there's a lot at stake suddenly when you have a shot at a really great item instead of just some chainmail boots of blast protection. When you die, any infernal mobs lose their special modifiers and loot, so if they kill you, you've lost your shot at an artifact. You have to play smart.

Fruit Chewy posted:

You can ditch the Mekanism Tools module, if you don't mind losing the osmium/etc tools and armor altogether.
Oh, thanks. I didn't even realize! Will definitely do that.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 24, 2014

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

wylker posted:

Right now none of the TE stuff likes to cross the boundaries between force loaded chunks. They sorta know about it but don't have a great answer yet. I don't know if this is your issue or not.

Is this boundaries between force-loaded and non-force-loaded chunks, or between individual chunks in the force-loaded area?

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Do the mcf admins/mods or Mojang have more say when it comes right down to it? Would Mojang be able say "no more ad.fly and use open permissions or we will remove your mod" and have that be enforced by the forums admins?

My dream is that the end goal of mojang's api work is moving all modding to the official launcher as addons, allowing people to download mods within the launcher itself and having everything more directly under their eula, exactly like how Steam's workshop mostly replaces the Nexus websites for games like Skyrim. I'm not sure how that would play out with modpacks though.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

In that situation Modpacks wouldn't be needed, just the ability to sync mods with the current server.

I think that's the point really.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

UglyDucklett posted:

Do the mcf admins/mods or Mojang have more say when it comes right down to it? Would Mojang be able say "no more ad.fly and use open permissions or we will remove your mod" and have that be enforced by the forums admins?

My dream is that the end goal of mojang's api work is moving all modding to the official launcher as addons, allowing people to download mods within the launcher itself and having everything more directly under their eula, exactly like how Steam's workshop mostly replaces the Nexus websites for games like Skyrim. I'm not sure how that would play out with modpacks though.

Under the current minecraft forums rules http://rules.mcf.li/ every poster is required to comply with the Minecraft Terms of Service, so anything the TOS prohibits is prohibited by the minecraft forum by incorporation. If the forums changed the rules to remove the terms of service as an incorporated document in their own rules, then Mojang could presumably serve takedown notices to the minecraft forums or adfly itself.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood
http://strider.sunstrike.io/modders-ownership-rights/

Please tell me he actually thinks what he said makes sense. :allears:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I kind of hate myself for enjoying lovely mod drama as much as I do. I'd love to see a new official Tekkit pack come out that just doesn't give a gently caress now. Must have game breaking EE2 mechanics in it.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

mechaet posted:

Sunstrike posted:

Recently, someone in IRC brought this MCF thread to my attention, and I'd like to discuss it a bit.
No, he doesn't. If he wanted to discuss it, he would've put it in the thread.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

mechaet posted:

Pffttbwaahahaha.

"The second I find more amusing; our mods (programs) run on their game (the runtime), and this grants them unlimited rights over our work. Now let's take this in the abstract; a provider of a runtime can claim all rights on anything using that runtime. This sounds fair right? Well, yes to a lay member of the public, but any developer will immediately notice the flaw - Mojang's game (a program) runs on top of the Java Runtime Environment (the JRE, a runtime); does this mean Oracle can turn around and claim all rights on every Java program, including Mojangs work on Minecraft? Of course not, that'd be silly, and this is my point."

Holy poo poo this guy is stupid.

"Your move Mojang, we don't think this makes sense, and if you keep up with this weird EULA crap, we won't stay; we will move to less hostile pastures, where hopefully a company will not treat us like an annoyance."

What loving game would you move onto? Also, please go, don't let the door hit you in the rear end, don't need this poo poo poisoning the community. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Enzer posted:

Pffttbwaahahaha.

"The second I find more amusing; our mods (programs) run on their game (the runtime), and this grants them unlimited rights over our work. Now let's take this in the abstract; a provider of a runtime can claim all rights on anything using that runtime. This sounds fair right? Well, yes to a lay member of the public, but any developer will immediately notice the flaw - Mojang's game (a program) runs on top of the Java Runtime Environment (the JRE, a runtime); does this mean Oracle can turn around and claim all rights on every Java program, including Mojangs work on Minecraft? Of course not, that'd be silly, and this is my point."

Holy poo poo this guy is stupid.

Yeah, that part had me giggling. Which is Minecraft? A program, or a runtime? Considering Minecraft is not a programming language, and Java is, I'm fairly certain the runtime in both instances is Java.

• Locked thread