Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
Bugs are like the sims, if you read someones narrative on their sims, it sounds exciting and makes you want to play the game. When you play the game, your sims wander around and everything you found endearing about them from the narrative is just part of the game and not very interesting or unique at all.

Bugs are mostly only interesting when you add extra words about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

nvining posted:

Heh. I wish it was that exciting. Where we are right now with the pre-alpha - before The Magnificent Seven even get a shot at it - is that people will play the game and then, suddenly, everybody will just stop working, starve to death, and die.

Not every bug is glamorous. The reality of game development is that while we post the silly bugs, the day-to-day of it is very much "Hey, people don't know when trees are being chopped down - we need to add visual feedback!", "Hey, the game runs at 2FPS on the Intel HD3000", and "Hey, everybody suddenly just starves to death and it isn't actually funny."

I'm such a downer, aren't I.

Not so much a downer as more of a reality check. Since the adventures of Steam Green light I think a lot of gamers have realized that beta (or alpha) testing is not all sunshine and rainbows, but rather actual work.

Just keep the insanity forest.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

nvining posted:

"Hey, everybody suddenly just starves to death and it isn't actually funny."

Hmm, I dunno. A random "Argh, the boar-worms are devouring my innards!" settlement wipe does give me at least a little dark amusement...

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

nvining posted:

Heh. I wish it was that exciting. Where we are right now with the pre-alpha - before The Magnificent Seven even get a shot at it - is that people will play the game and then, suddenly, everybody will just stop working, starve to death, and die.

Not every bug is glamorous. The reality of game development is that while we post the silly bugs, the day-to-day of it is very much "Hey, people don't know when trees are being chopped down - we need to add visual feedback!", "Hey, the game runs at 2FPS on the Intel HD3000", and "Hey, everybody suddenly just starves to death and it isn't actually funny."

Isn't losing all will and wasting away one of the common effects of cosmic horrors? Just add a check that makes everyone start to babble gibberish and call it a feature.

Debugging is more or less a perfect analogy for service to an Old One anyway. It sounds all glamorous and peeling back the veil to understand the working of the universe but but you really only sacrifice people on the big holidays and only after hours of chanting. And most of the secret workings you discover are frittata recipes you already knew but looked more exciting because the cookbook was a hypercube. And you'd really like to try making your own cookbook but the stove is proprietary and only works with the old cookbook and changing the stove would mean switching out the sacrificial alter and you only just got the blood stains looking good on the one you have.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LtSmash posted:

Isn't losing all will and wasting away one of the common effects of cosmic horrors? Just add a check that makes everyone start to babble gibberish and call it a feature.

Debugging is more or less a perfect analogy for service to an Old One anyway. It sounds all glamorous and peeling back the veil to understand the working of the universe but but you really only sacrifice people on the big holidays and only after hours of chanting. And most of the secret workings you discover are frittata recipes you already knew but looked more exciting because the cookbook was a hypercube. And you'd really like to try making your own cookbook but the stove is proprietary and only works with the old cookbook and changing the stove would mean switching out the sacrificial alter and you only just got the blood stains looking good on the one you have.

Besides, I'm perfectly content with the mozzarella sticks beyond human comprehension with marinara sauce that should not be that we already have, no sense changing things up when they work just fine :colbert:

I just realized that we MAY need a :cultbert: smily.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Volmarias posted:

Besides, I'm perfectly content with the mozzarella sticks beyond human comprehension with marinara sauce that should not be that we already have, no sense changing things up when they work just fine :colbert:

I just realized that we MAY need a :cultbert: smily.

Work just fine is the lowest possible bar to set for the non-euclidean appetizers. Your efforts to cater to the widest possible audience has left our entire meal so bland it makes me want to stop doing everything and starve to death where I stand.

This cult was founded on the idea that we could bring into existence an unspeakable cuisine, that to merely gaze upon the menu; without even understanding the smoking glyphs that make up the names of the dishes; would be sandpaper upon the psyche. That the cyclopean smells wafting from the kitchen would drive men to gibbering madness. To see the plating of an entree would induce those with the strongest wills to gouge their own eyes out lest the essence of their very being be consumed by the vortices of un-reality in the coulis.

But mozzarella sticks are 'just fine' so I'll go back to scrapping gum off the bottom of the tables while the bigwigs struggle to figure out why get such poor reviews.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LtSmash posted:

Work just fine is the lowest possible bar to set for the non-euclidean appetizers. Your efforts to cater to the widest possible audience has left our entire meal so bland it makes me want to stop doing everything and starve to death where I stand.

This cult was founded on the idea that we could bring into existence an unspeakable cuisine, that to merely gaze upon the menu; without even understanding the smoking glyphs that make up the names of the dishes; would be sandpaper upon the psyche. That the cyclopean smells wafting from the kitchen would drive men to gibbering madness. To see the plating of an entree would induce those with the strongest wills to gouge their own eyes out lest the essence of their very being be consumed by the vortices of un-reality in the coulis.

But mozzarella sticks are 'just fine' so I'll go back to scrapping gum off the bottom of the tables while the bigwigs struggle to figure out why get such poor reviews.

Look, every time you try to summon a better recipe, like half of the wait staff gets eaten and so do all of the mints that say "take one." I'm not saying that we shouldn't shoot for the stars, I'm just saying when the stars shoot back for us it gets very expensive in terms of payroll and misc. expenses, and maybe you could try summoning something that understands what "one" means, whether that's "one" sacrifice or "one" mint.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
See, the twist can be that new features and happenings are then designed to trigger via those horrid and/or obscure buggy mass death events and whatnot---The Easter Egg of the new modern gaming age.

"Gaslamp, suddenly my screen went black after examining a bottomless void of darkness with a right-mouse click! I can still enter commands though..."

"OK, fixed in trunk, with the upcoming build that is now a sudden or "cinematic" fade to darkness. Give it a ~13 seconds and you should see a rotoscoped, period-appropriate analogue to Bill Cosby slowly walking towards the center of the screen from the nothingness as the camera zooms in on his magnificent feathered hat as a clavichord plays and he whispers unintelligible esoteric mysteries---see what happens when you check his mood and report back?"

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

nvining posted:

Your story of friendship touches me.

You may have an icon.

Haha, another true story: I'm that friend, and I had steam closed to do my Crawl LP, so I didn't get his message about the cool happenings right away. So, my first reaction seeing the avatar was "Wait, Admiral Funk doesn't have avatar buyin' money! Ohh". Thanks a lot, now I feel less bad about needing to buy a replacement diggle when my brothers dog ate my first diggle. (Digsby, Son of Digsby is safe at my office with a bust of Geralt of Rivia.)

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

nvining posted:

StarkRavingMad

Given his role in :psydwarf:BOATMURDERED:psydwarf: it really is rather appropriate he be in the first batch of testers for this game.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Schizotek posted:

Given his role in :psydwarf:BOATMURDERED:psydwarf: it really is rather appropriate he be in the first batch of testers for this game.

I'm hoping that's a factor of why he was chosen.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Congrats Tias! I think I forgot who you were at one point and bumped you off my Steam friends list, but I think I gifted you Dredmor. Glad you got into CE!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Volmarias posted:

Look, every time you try to summon a better recipe, like half of the wait staff gets eaten and so do all of the mints that say "take one." I'm not saying that we shouldn't shoot for the stars, I'm just saying when the stars shoot back for us it gets very expensive in terms of payroll and misc. expenses, and maybe you could try summoning something that understands what "one" means, whether that's "one" sacrifice or "one" mint.

Well, if we could find an Invisible Geometer or the like that at least understands that the day before payday is our equivalent of "when the stars are right", the payroll wouldn't be an issue at all.

On that note, we need to find another orphanage. St Nyarlethotep's says the orphans that would age out of their system are now "following a greater calling" instead of looking for work. However, they are offering us a good deal on tinned meat product.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I'm hoping that's a factor of why he was chosen.

... well, of course. I do love the classics.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Will it be possible for your colony to encounter a famine due to a bad harvest?

Most games just treat farms as a steady supply of X amount of food and as a result it's hard to actually run out of food after you're past the first stages.

There's also the choice for players to use different crops based on the conditions they're predicting. Crops that vary how much work they take to plant, care for and harvest, and how well they survive variations in temperature, amount of rain and the presence of diseases. And eldritch rituals / SCIENCE to predict and control the weather.

You could even import tinned rain, a fresh refreshing invention from the mainland. Maybe it won't work. Or maybe it will. But I'm sure it's perfectly safe regardless.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

nvining posted:

The Intel HD3000s are an abomination of a graphics card and every single one of them should be fired into the sun

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Some incarnation of the broodwich from aqua teen should make it in. A sandwich so tasty you must constantly fight it away from the gluttonous. When they eventually eat it horrors are unleashed.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Goodpancakes posted:

Some incarnation of the broodwich from aqua teen should make it in. A sandwich so tasty you must constantly fight it away from the gluttonous. When they eventually eat it horrors are unleashed.

A variation of each of the seven sins could manifest inside the nobility, think demons in Dragon Age. A noble possessed by a demon embodying a sin will act in a certain manner. A wrath demon will murder his spouse and children at the slightest provocation. A greed demon will amass all the wealth in the land.

A sloth demon will cause his possessed body to gradually convert into this:

nvining
May 30, 2011

I still only have four e-mails...

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

nvining posted:

I can send more if you want

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I can send more if you want

He'll only send you more replies and require you to play multiple testing copies simultaneously.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

If anyone reading this thread hasn't picked up the excellent Dungeons of Dredmor yet, and is somehow unable to pick up the current humble bundle, I will donate a copy to the first asker. Post, post, post!

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

nvining posted:

Hey, if someone doesn't want their spot... :v:

Yes this is a sutle hint you should give me one

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rudi Starnberg posted:

Hey, if someone doesn't want their spot... :v:

Yes this is a sutle hint you should give me one

This guy can't spell subtle, I should get that spot. :colbert:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I, too, would like a spot.. :ohdear:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

He'll only send you more replies and require you to play multiple testing copies simultaneously.
Handling Tentacling four computers simultaneously shouldn't be a problem.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Eonwe posted:

This guy can't spell subtle, I should get that spot. :colbert:

Not at all, it clearly demonstrates my eagerness to test, regardless of consequences.

Fakedit: Besides, there are three spots, so we can have one each. Perfect.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I know I don't want one of those pre-alpha chances to test out this stupid game, and would refuse any offer. In fact, I dare you to try me.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

nvining posted:

And twenty-six coffins still remain...

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

My experiences with Eldrict horrors in no way qualifies me for testing more then the average bloke.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

nvining posted:

Yep, if you need more just ask I'll be happy to oblige! What if I was classified by a friend's ex girlfriend as an authentic eldritch horror? Does that qualify me?

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 25, 2014

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

nvining posted:

Incoming! Sent from adminfive at gmail.

I can only hope my extensive fungal expertise from Dredmore comes in handy.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 25, 2014

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I was going to say I PMd the others but it looks like SRM got it already.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What is the NDA policy going to be like? Will we be getting screenshots and DF-esque stories and reports from these goony goons? :allears:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

What is the NDA policy going to be like? Will we be getting screenshots and DF-esque stories and reports from these goony goons? :allears:
It says something about only posting positive opinions in return for $3/1000 views.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
"NDA RULE #367.4: Do not post videos that have the potential to summon Yeogoroth, the Eater of Worlds, who will destroy the 'real' world."

nvining
May 30, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

"NDA RULE #367.4: Do not post videos that have the potential to summon Yeogoroth, the Eater of Worlds, who will destroy the 'real' world."

Oh, I dunno, let's monetize that.

For those not keeping track of my Twitter: I'm doing some cult programming today because I've been doing frantic UI stuff for long enough and I want to add some color to the proceedings. Consequently, after joining the Fraternity of the Squamous Polyp, Milicent Cog proceeded to rename her refinery to "The Crucibles of the Enfleshened Lump" and is now churning out what I think is maddening charcoal.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

nvining posted:

For those not keeping track of my Twitter: I'm doing some cult programming today because I've been doing frantic UI stuff for long enough and I want to add some color to the proceedings. Consequently, after joining the Fraternity of the Squamous Polyp, Milicent Cog proceeded to rename her refinery to "The Crucibles of the Enfleshened Lump" and is now churning out what I think is maddening charcoal.

GOTY right there.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

nvining posted:

I asked a long time ago but I figure I'll ask again as so much as progressed forward. Will my workers take 'trinkets' found in the woods home and place them on their bed stands? It's all Perfectly Safe of course. Totally no danger of horrid mind-twisting dreams driving someone to homicidal rage, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvining
May 30, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I asked a long time ago but I figure I'll ask again as so much as progressed forward. Will my workers take 'trinkets' found in the woods home and place them on their bed stands? It's all Perfectly Safe of course. Totally no danger of horrid mind-twisting dreams driving someone to homicidal rage, right?

Please direct all questions to our trailer video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x1iLpQjULA

• Locked thread