Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Shlapintogan posted:

The only version you shouldn't play is the one on the UMD for Dracula X Chronicles because they changed the dub. :colbert:

So the Saturn version is okay then? 'Cause I've been waiting for an excuse to play it through.

E: yay or nay, I'm in either way.

MediumWellDone fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Well, this is a freebie. I'm in. :)

Are we allowed to break the game in half, or do we need to do this legit?
Cause this game is broken as hell, and they recently found a way to break it even further.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

MediumWellDone posted:

So the Saturn version is okay then? 'Cause I've been waiting for an excuse to play it through.

E: yay or nay, I'm in either way.

I wouldn't play the Saturn version, honestly, lots of hitches and slowdown where there wouldn't be any on the PS1 version.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 20, 2014

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
The second shot looks odd because it was the only way I could get the save text to display right.

It's SOTN, you have to go out your way to not break it over your knee. From what I recall, isn't there a slightly different ending for getting somewhere close to 200%? I guess all this challenge requires is to kill Dracula though

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Calling myself in for Symphony Of The Night.

EDIT: So this game is kind of a pain in the rear end with emulators. Hence, my run of SOTN will be a special kind of challenge run known as "Blind Shop". Namely in that the emulator is loving up the text for the shop and making it invisible :v:

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 20, 2014

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Shlapintogan posted:

I wouldn't play the Saturn version, honestly, lots of hitches and slowdown where there wouldn't be any on the PS1 version.

Yeah, it's an utter mess. But its the only version I've got access to ATM.

Anyone remember the spell inputs? I could only figure out the fireball spell. Up, quarter circle forward.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MediumWellDone posted:

Anyone remember the spell inputs? I could only figure out the fireball spell. Up, quarter circle forward.

The only spell that matters is back, half circle forward, back and I spoiler that because once you discover it it's game ruining. I discovered it by accident first time playing and it takes tremendous willpower not to use it.

Wish I had time for this. Such a seminal game when it came out. Between this and Abe's Oddysee, 1997 really turned a lot of heads towards 2D games during the height of the blocky 3D craze.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

MediumWellDone posted:

Some useful spells.

MP cost |50| Soul steal
L, R, RD, D, LD, L, R, + S or O

Does a ton of damage to the entire room, useful for clearing out rooms with a lot of enemies.

MP cost |20| Tetra spirit
HU, UR, R, RD, D + S or O

Sends out three spheres above you that circle and home in on enemies. Very useful for killing enemies above you. Used to quick kill the first boss fight.

MP cost |10| wolf charge
D, DR, R, + S or O

You need the wolf relic to use this. In wolf form only. Extremely fast movement on the ground and you can jump incredibly far while using it.

MP cost |8| wing smash
X + U, UR, L, LD, D, RD, R + X

You need the bat relic to use it. In bat form only. Super quick dash in the direction you end the input on. If you repeat the input before the previous dash ends you'll continue the dash. Chaining Wing Smashes is the fastest way of getting around the castle by a mile. Also, you can get away with just doing X, full circle, X.

There are more, but those are the important ones, in my opinion.

E: FYI, the inputs in this game are pretty finicky, so getting the spells consistently will take some getting used to.

judgementbringer fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 21, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Clear, I think. Depends what you meant by true ending. I took it to mean just clearing the Inverted Castle rather than going after the 196% ending.

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...

Still a great game, but I kind of ruined the last couple of bosses for myself by remembering the Shield Rod + Alucard Shield trick. I'm also wondering if you meant the 196% ending as the true ending. If so I can jump back in and finish that up.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

You just need to beat Dracula to clear the challenge.

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013
Calling in for this one, will probably stream it in a bit, since i'm running on emulator.

Done.

Chuckle fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 23, 2014

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
And done.

This was only my second time playing this one. I prefer the older games of the series, sadly, though this is a pretty good game.

e: Is it just me, or does this game have one of the worst if not the worst Game Over screen you've ever seen?

heytallman fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 23, 2014

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

heytallman posted:

e: Is it just me, or does this game have one of the worst if not the worst Game Over screen you've ever seen?

NUH-uh :colbert:

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013
Finished this one up, i feel kind of dirty seeing as i've played it a fair bit.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

heytallman posted:

It's not the worst, that award would probably go to Too Human being an unskippable 30 second cutscene, but it's really annoying not just having a "continue? menu?" screen like every other Castlevania. I don't know why this option died from modern Castlevanias. If I die at a boss then I'm going to go back to the boss. Don't start me at the save room, start me at the loving boss or right before. It's really annoying when all the recent Metroidvanias have the save room several screens from the boss as if to say "gently caress you, waste 5 minutes getting back to the boss."

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Finally got around to doing this. God, I'm rusty. It's been way too long since I played this. Also, I couldn't get the new Richter skip for the life of me. :( I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong. So I had to actually go do all the stuff I needed to do to get the Holy Glasses which took me ages to remember. Which is why my time is so godawful. :ohdear:

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
All done. I love this game!

I was silly and used my actual first name when starting the file, so I covered that up.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Shlapintogan posted:

The only version you shouldn't play is the one on the UMD for Dracula X Chronicles because they changed the dub. :colbert:

Yeah well I'm calling myself in on this one anyway because I'm traveling and all I have is my Vita. Also I don't want to pay to own digitally what I have at home on disc.

Let's see if I can manage to beat it today.

E: Never mind, looks like I fail. Ran out of time.

Also: don't try speedrun strats you saw from AGDQ without already being good at the game. It won't work out.

parasyte fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 25, 2014

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Did I make it? I was moving this week and it was hard to find the time to focus. I also forgot how to get the spike breaker armour and hard to wander around looking for how to cut through the dark. Reverse castle was a breeze though.

Thanks for the spell inputs, they helped me avoid a few annoying deaths.

MediumWellDone fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 25, 2014

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

MediumWellDone posted:

Did I make it? I was moving this week and it was hard to find the time to focus. I also forgot how to get the spike breaker armour and hard to wander around looking for how to cut through the dark. Reverse castle was a breeze though.

Thanks for the spell inputs, they helped me avoid a few annoying deaths.

I cleared that room without it. You just need the Bat relic and a couple potions. Fly all the way through the spike corridor, and when you get to the door, untransform and immediately use a potion, then go through the door before the invincibility frames you get from using the potion wear off.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Now, I know we did the first one not too long ago, but I'm just buttering you up for challenge #14 Donkey Kong Country 2 is a really good game.

Donkey Kong Country 2 follows up on the original by making a lot of improvements in terms of level design, and is widely considered to be the best in the series.

Your goal in this challenge is to collect all 75 kremkoins and clear the Lost World!

This challenge will expire on :siren: Saturday, February 1st at 12:00 AM EST :siren:

Manual

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Oh gently caress

Now I HAVE to do this, if anything because I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get eliminated first round from the DKC2 race so if anything this will make my amends to my own self.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Oh yeah. Totally in for this one, it is one of my favorite games ever.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I'm in. This is my favorite of the bunch, even if some of the later levels drive me up the drat wall.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I kinda hated the first one, played a brief bit of the second and saw that it looked like much of the same and decided against proceeding further.

I'll give this another chance, though I'm pretty sure I'll be regretting this decision in a few moments.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
YES. I'm in.

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...
I'm in. Haven't played it since I was a kid but whatever, let's do this.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I'm in. This will be my redemption for when I too get eliminated from the DKC2 race.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
While I didn't play DKC 2 that long ago I was still kind of hoping this would come up after the first so I could more directly compare how much better it is. So I'm in.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
I'm in. As much as I love the first game, this one really is a much better designed game.
It's also harder than the first game. Some of those gimmick levels can be really tricky.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I am true video game hero. Good music.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
Oh shoot, my group raced the first world for this the other day. I am so in.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Gonna stream DKC2 right here: http://www.hitbox.tv/ColorPrinter

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Just lurking, but want to say that Diddy's Kong Quest is much better than the first, has the best music in the series, is the hardest in the series (especially for getting the 102% completion rate without a guide), and...the best overall in the series? Most likely yes, although DKC3 is a close second.

I remember way back when getting this game new for $45, and the highest I could get was a 75% completion rate. It's not easy.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, most of the game is pretty fair, but there's some hidden poo poo in this game, that I don't know how you would figure out without a guide. DK Coin inside a bonus level? :psyduck:

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I'm in for this.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh yeah, definitely in. I never played the sequel as a kid, though I did play the remake whenever that came out. I was never a big DKC fan, actually, though I appreciate the better ones.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
Done.

I actually still have the official game guide from when I was a kid, but I refused to use it for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
Never played this as a kid, but I owned the first. I'm in.

• Locked thread