Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

General Battuta posted:

Baby kaiju's mom is the only one we see attempting to communicate, though. It attempts to drift with Newt before the protagonists interrupt.

I thought it was "feeling" for him before being attacked, and that the baby was intended as a hard counter to trying to drift, like the acid and emp were to Cherno and Striker. It starts attacking inside the mother's body after all.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

RBA Starblade posted:

I see the basic idea, but I don't quite get how that links birth to poo poo (or at least, that as a unique thing then if all kaiju are "birthed" from the breach).

You're right that it's not an entirely unique thing. All the kaiju are horrific drone-creatures - just like all those other Terminators before Arnold, Zod's team of Kryptonian warriors, and so-on.

That's why it's crucial that Baby Kaiju Jesus was a totally disgusting accident. It's what makes him unique - human. It separates him from the drones.

Your fear that Baby Jesus wants to destroy all humanity is not very well-founded. He attempts to kill Ron Perlman, but Ron totally deserved it. And, remember that the Kaiju are a hive-mind. Otachi tried to communicate with Newt before being brutally killed. Baby KJ has those same thoughts.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 24, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Your fear that Baby Jesus wants to destroy all humanity is not very well-founded. He attempts to kill Ron Perlman, but Ron totally deserved it. And, remember that the Kaiju are a hive-mind. Otachi tried to communicate with Newt before being brutally killed. Baby KJ has those same thoughts.

Yes, the kaiju are a hive-mind, and the baby kaiju is a kaiju. The kaiju are trying to exterminate humanity. You've said it's an accident before, backed up and said it's an error in the system (because it was subverted), and are back to saying it was accidentally created again. Why do you think that, given in the same paragraph you mentioned the genetic engineering of the mother? Plus if it's a Christ analogue, to complete it it would have to have been intentionally sent in order to redeem (humanity, instead of the kaiju). That'd make either the masters God in this context, or God actually did it. What would that make the rest of the kaiju?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 24, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

RBA Starblade posted:

Yes, the kaiju are a hive-mind, and the baby kaiju is a kaiju. The kaiju are trying to exterminate humanity. You've said it's an accident before, backed up and said it's an error in the system (because it was subverted), and are back to saying it was accidentally created again. Why do you think that, given in the same paragraph you mentioned the genetic engineering of the mother? Plus if it's a Christ analogue, to complete it it would have to have been intentionally sent in order to redeem. That'd make either the masters God in this context, or God actually did it.

The alien masters are trying to exterminate humanity. The kaiju are just drones.

This is getting nitpicky, and I'm consequently starting to have difficulty understanding your post.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It comes back to Nietzsche again. Nietzsche describes Christian values as being the values of the abject (Christianity has humility-based "slave morality" as contrasted with nobility-based "master morality"), and he didn't like Christianity (though he admired Jesus apart from the precedent set by saying that the next world is the important one), but he still preferred it over nihilism, the belief that the world shouldn't exist or that nothing matters. If you read Otachi Jr. as a Christ figure, a virgin birth sent as a savior (remember that Newt only successfully drifts with Otachi Jr.'s brain, and from that experience learns what has to be done in order to save humanity and enter the world that Otachi Jr. was sent from (this is huge, especially in light of the way that the only religion depicted in the film is kaiju worship)), then its antagonism toward Hannibal Chau takes on new meaning.

Chau doesn't believe in anything but the market price of kaiju remains. Otachi Jr., a Christian figure, seems to kill Chau - to banish nihilistic meaninglessness - and then dies to save mankind. Once "God is dead," nihilism returns; Chau cuts himself out of the corpse after the breach is closed and there are no kaiju left in the world. Jesus, too, was none too fond of wealth or usury, and gold-shoed Hannibal is where the PPDC gets its funding.

Christ doesn't have to be anything but an inspired and inspiring human being for this all to still work. Jaegers are kaiju; the masters are what human beings are fated to become because they build giant monsters and send them to other dimensions to ensure their survival even at the cost of whole planets. The protagonists of Pacific Rim show amor fati, the love of one's fate; they affirm that they want to exist, that they love existence, themselves and the whole universe as they are.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Christ doesn't have to be anything but an inspired and inspiring human being for this all to still work.

SMG has openly stated that he thinks Baby Kaiju Jesus was sent to redeem humanity of its sins/to open communications (which we rejected/didn't), so for his version to work, it really does need him to be divine. I think your interpretation makes more sense and follows more logically, though I still don't think it's actually a Christ figure because of the nature of the kaiju.

quote:

This is getting nitpicky, and I'm consequently starting to have difficulty understanding your post.

Which part of my post got too nitpicky for you? I said the baby was a kaiju, kaiju being the race which is destroying humanity on behalf of their masters, and then I asked you why you thought the baby's birth was an accident, because the last time I did you instead talked about how it was instead the system being subverted and turned on itself, and also asked you what you thought the rest of the kaiju, which area part of the same hive-mind as the baby kaiju, are in this analogy, along with the masters themselves if the birth was not an accident.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 24, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

RBA Starblade posted:

Which part of my post got too nitpicky for you? I said the baby was a kaiju, kaiju being the race which is destroying humanity on behalf of their masters, and then I asked you why you thought the baby's birth was an accident, because the last time I did you instead talked about how it was instead the system being subverted and turned on itself, and also asked you what you thought the rest of the kaiju, which area part of the same hive-mind as the baby kaiju, are in this analogy, along with the masters themselves if the birth was not an accident.

I'm still having difficulty parsing this, but to reiterate:

The masters employ a race of drones. The entire drone collective somehow birthed a single pathetic creature, which died and passed its 'spirit' to humanity. This is directly analogous to the Trinity.

The individual kaijus are angelic figures, albeit corrupted ones. Had the film resolved its conflict properly, they would be free to become the Heavenly Host - the army of God. (See the police robots in Elysium, and Ghost Rider 2's "angel who went crazy.")

The masters did not deliberately give up their key weakness. They had been exploiting the 'power of God' with their Frankenstein genetic engineering. Had the heroes allied with the kaiju against their masters, it would bring about The Kingdom Of God, which had been selfishly supressed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It seems you understood me just fine! The large part where we disagree is on if the baby was intentionally created or not (and what that means where they are all of the same mind). On a side note, if the masters aren't in the same hive-mind as the kaiju, how did Newt learn all about them and their plans beyond how it applies to the kaiju? Did they tell the kaiju? Why?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In a twist on this crucifixion imagery, Ron Perlman pierces Jesus' side from the inside. This is very troubling imagery, because it's essentially substituting Ron Perlman's awful drug-dealer character for 'the blood of christ'. That fact that he emerges from the wreckage is one of the key signs that the ending is not a happy one, that the conflict is unresolved. "Where's my goddamn shoe?"

This seems similar to Transformers where it was noted that Sam died and then brought Optimus back, but both were twisted versions of the things they were before.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

RBA Starblade posted:

I see the basic idea, but I don't quite get how that links birth to poo poo (or at least, that as a unique thing then if all kaiju are "birthed" from the breach).

SMG clarified most of my meaning quite wonderfully. It’s not that birth is necessarily biologically linked to poo poo, but that they both signify a process of abjection:
“A wound with blood and pus, or the sickly, acrid smell of sweat, of decay, does not signify death. In the presence of signified death—a flat encephalograph, for instance—I would understand, react, or accept. No, as in true theater, without makeup or masks, refuse and corpses show me what I permanently thrust aside in order to live. These body fluids, this defilement, this poo poo are what life withstands, hardly and with difficulty, on the part of death. There, I am at the border of my condition as a living being.” -Julia Kristeva, Powers of Horror.

This is first notably attached the birthing act, where the new innocent and pristine child must be separated from the viscera and gore which accompanies it out of the womb; and the process of abjection leaks back onto the feminine form as a whole.

While certain images will trigger our sense of revulsion or horror, it is the process of abjection itself which is important as, how SMG pointed out, it plays a primal role in the creation and maintenance of the late-capitalist liberal democracy through constant acts of de- and re-territorialization to create and disavow borders of who or what is acceptable to the State.

Zizek talks about this in reference to Judeo-Christian religious thought wherein all people are children of the Christian god, merely needing to accept Jesus Christ; so that not accepting him and declaring your Christianity would disqualify you as a person (I believe this is discussed in Violence, but don't have my copy handy so it's a real rough paraphrase). This is the same method seen in the formation of the global neoliberal empire.

RBA Starblade posted:

I have no idea what "It's the dissolving of boundaries into disavowwed zones of exclusion; a shift in perspective where the "alternate" dimensions are revealed as a degeneration of the solid State and a possibility of radical transformation by redifining the surfaces through the burrowing of worm holes." is supposed to mean but I guess the idea is that babies are poo poo because they're born of women which are poo poo in our society?

So then if the fundamental structure of the exploitative modern State relies upon the interaction with and simultaneous disavowal of the abject, it is these places and unformed movements outside of these borders that exist as pure transformative, radical potential. Where reality can be changed through a shift in perspective and the ‘worm holes’ into this solid State are not acts of infiltration, but ungrounding and redefining the surface of the State itself.

It’s the realization that “To Fight Monsters we Created Monsters” could (and should) be heard as the kaiju’s tag line.

meristem posted:

How about this explanation: 'Wormholes' are part of the gestalt. The term was coined in 1957. They were first shown on-screen in - what, in the original Star Trek? In short, today most everyone feels they know what a wormhole is, to the extent that when Thor movies wanted their nerdish characters to sound nerdy, they actually called them the 'Einstein-Rosen bridges'. There is also a certain way that 'wormholes' are visualised. There is a rich tradition of the way in which they are visualised. The artists could have drawn on that shorthand, knowing that the audience will be aware what is being visualised, that no one would be confused: "what is it what they are showing?"

Why limit yourself to the 'birth canal' explanation?
Exactly.
The focus on ‘worm hole’ imagery in sci-fi (astutely pointed out by poster meristem) is very meaningful towards the genre’s revolutionary politics. These 'worm holes' are not merely birth canals or highway systems, but processes of radical deterritorialization; the disintegration of the solid State apparatus not just at it's fringes and borders with subaltern populations, but within itself. Worm holes are lines of revolutionary potential:

"The polytics of the ()holey complex defies existing models of the harvesting of power correlated to the logic of the ground and the politics of whole. For the world order, inconsistent events around the world are failures or setbacks for the dominant political models. According to the politics of the poromechanical earth, however, inconsistences and regional disparities across the globe constitute the body of polytics." - Reza Negarestani, Cyclonopedia.

As has been pointed out, The Kaiju world and the human world are the same place. It's the politics of Lovecraftian horror.

Danger fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 24, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Personally, I think the kaiju are cool and hope that they are best buds with the Jaegers in the theoretical sequel.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
I saw the baby Kaiju as the Kaiju's one chance at rebellion, providing a brain for the humans to drift with even if it's mother fails. I definitely see how it is Kaiju Jesus- it's whole purpose was to die to pass on a message to humanity, which it does. This allows the humans to save their world, while killing the Kaiju's masters and presumably freeing the Kaiju as well. The symbolism of the ending doesn't work out to SMG's liking, I guess, but as I read it, the result of the baby Kaiju is the co-operation of humans and Kaiju to achieve their mutual goal. The Kaiju simply have extremely limited agency, being mind controlled clones and all.

Newt is also a Kaiju-shaman, and spends the whole movie attempting, successfully, to communicate with the Kaiju. They literally tell him their plight and how to end it. Frankly, how the gently caress is this not the Kaiju and humans working together? The Kaiju can't resist their master's command to fight, they can only take their one chance to communicate with a receptive human to subvert their master's plans.

I also think the last scene basically hints at Chau (or at least something he represents) being the villain in the sequel. The imagery is very much "the monster isn't dead!" sort of thing you see in horror movies to set up a sequel. Also the guy with the dead-Kaiju business in prettymuch the best positioned character to start exploiting Kaiju for his own purposes anyhow.

Edit: I really think part of the key here is that this is absolutely a movie trying to set up a sequel- maybe to it's own detriment? Anyhow, I can think of worse things to see than Pacific Rim 2, although I'm glad to watch anything by Del Toro anyhow.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 24, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hodgepodge posted:

I saw the baby Kaiju as the Kaiju's one chance at rebellion, providing a brain for the humans to drift with even if it's mother fails. I definitely see how it is Kaiju Jesus- it's whole purpose was to die to pass on a message to humanity, which it does. This allows the humans to save their world, while killing the Kaiju's masters and presumably freeing the Kaiju as well. The symbolism of the ending doesn't work out to SMG's liking, I guess, but as I read it, the result of the baby Kaiju is the co-operation of humans and Kaiju to achieve their mutual goal. The Kaiju simply have extremely limited agency, being mind controlled clones and all.

I think the difference is in a satirical film like Robocop. As everyone knows, Robocop is not the real Jesus but an 'American Jesus'. The joke at the end of his film is that, however well-intentioned he may be, he simply eliminates the old 'mean' CEO and inaugurates a new 'nice' CEO.

Another trickier example would be Matrix 3, where Neo uses his Jesus-powers to simply eliminate Agent Smith. See also The Phantom Menace - which, as a sequel to Return Of The Jedi, shows the terrible consequences of Luke's failure. What if he simply restores the (inherently corrupt) Republic, instead of creating a truly "universal" democratic society? Well, then you end up just repeating yourself.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I think the difference is in a satirical film like Robocop. As everyone knows, Robocop is not the real Jesus but an 'American Jesus'. The joke at the end of his film is that, however well-intentioned he may be, he simply eliminates the old 'mean' CEO and inaugurates a new 'nice' CEO.

Your basic point stands, but I don't think we get to see a replacement for Dick Jones (President of OCP), and the Chairman (Dan O'Herlihy) is still Chairman at the end of the movie. I don't think it's clear who is actually the CEO of OCP, The Old Man or Dick Jones, though that's even less relevant to the point.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think I've finally put my finger on what makes SMG so grating. He doesn't deconstruct and analyze films so much as he deconstructs and criticized film viewers. SMG has legitimate insights and is very observant, but, like anyone trying to craft their own narrative and symbolism, he is somewhat selective. The problem is that without fail he is a contrarian. He will look at the fans of a film, look at why they like the film, and then begin to construct a reading that tears down what they like and their reason for liking it. It's not that it's not kind of humorous or that he doesn't have good points, but after years of reading SMG's take on films, his contrarian nature is undeniable. When I read SMG's take on a film now, I give him the benefit of the doubt and I see if I find what he says insightful, but generally by his third post about a film, he's practically just trolling. No matter what other reading someone suggests, he has, without fail, a way to tear it down. It does not have the feel of someone who is interested in film analysis for the sake of sharing ideas, but rather to show others how wrong they are.

SuperMechagodzilla, you are are like Mechagodzilla. Godzilla often represents a primal but natural force. Godzilla is dangerous and destructive, yes, but he is an amplification of human nature. Mechagodzilla, on the other hand, is a subversive and destructive machine built with ill intent. Godzilla often represents part of a natural order, part of a cycle, belonging in the 'circle of life'. Mechagodzilla does not. Mechagodzilla first appears in the guise of Godzilla, where he wreaks destruction with the appearance of a force of nature, but he is not. Mechagodzilla (a different one) later is constructed to fight Godzilla, literally to attack nature. Yet another Mechagodzilla is an abomination made from the corpse of Godzilla. Like your namesake(s), you are not to be taken lightly, but it would be foolish to take your words at face value, or to assume that they were motivated by educational or academic virtue.

All Mechagodzillas are more sinister than they appear, and that includes SMG.

edit:

Instead of Robocop being an 'American Jesus', this is just a really good dig at Christianity. The implication that Jesus shows up, everything is magically better because Jesus is great, but it's also "meet the new God, LITERALLY THE SAME AS THE OLD GOD". Not like, a really similar God, but like, the same one.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 24, 2014

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

Another trickier example would be Matrix 3, where Neo uses his Jesus-powers to simply eliminate Agent Smith. See also The Phantom Menace - which, as a sequel to Return Of The Jedi, shows the terrible consequences of Luke's failure. What if he simply restores the (inherently corrupt) Republic, instead of creating a truly "universal" democratic society? Well, then you end up just repeating yourself.

Isn't that what the credits scene with Chau is: a way of saying that the actual heart of the conflict remains unresolved as long as people like Chau exist? That humanity is doomed to become the Kaiju's masters (or the enslaved Kaiju), essentially, as long as people like him are present?

Agent Smith is an interesting example, because Neo defeats Smith by allowing him to win and consume him. It would have been interesting to see Pacific Rim take that direction. Maybe some sort of radical drift technique which allowed someone to drift with a Kaiju and free it, perhaps even by merging with it's mind, making a Kaiju/Human hybrid? That'd be a great way to make a classic heroic Kaiju.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
This is simultaneously the best and worst thread in CD.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Snak posted:

I think I've finally put my finger on what makes SMG so grating. He doesn't deconstruct and analyze films so much as he deconstructs and criticized film viewers.

This is semi-accurate, because a film and its viewers cannot be separated. Reading a film is intensely personal, cutting to the core of what you are and what you believe. By presenting a reading of the film, I am automatically and implicitly attacking yours.

However, you reach a bad conclusion; instead of accepting this unavoidable fact, I'm accused of 'making personal' - even though I (personally) am fairly indifferent towards your deep, inner feelings and intentions.

I just post truthfully. It's really not so outrageous.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I just post truthfully. It's really not so outrageous.

Your gimmick is pretty outrageous.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Your gimmick is pretty outrageous.

The best thing he ever did was come up with that bit in the Twilight thread about how the series is actually a monster movie where Bella is the biggest monster of all, subverting and dominating all other monsters (that premise for a film would actually be interesting to watch).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Twilight movies are pretty fun if you listen to the rifftrax. Michael Sheen was also having the time of his life making those. He had a lot of fun in the Underworld movies too.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

In a twist on this crucifixion imagery, Ron Perlman pierces Jesus' side from the inside. This is very troubling imagery, because it's essentially substituting Ron Perlman's awful drug-dealer character for 'the blood of christ'. That fact that he emerges from the wreckage is one of the key signs that the ending is not a happy one, that the conflict is unresolved. "Where's my goddamn shoe?"

That's ridiculous and completely ignores the relevance of the shoe, the symbol of Hannibal's ill-gotten wealth and the most obvious symbol in the whole movie.

When in the prologue they said "To fight monsters we created monsters," Hannibal was one of those monsters. He lives purely off of the misery of others.

The baby kaiju eats him and gives Newt access both to that wealth and to the knowledge needed to overthrow the precursor aliens and free the kaiju.

While the baby kaiju may not have killed him, he just needed to be restrained and to have his wealth and power taken away. He's now just a poor white guy in hong kong looking for his shoe. If you want jesus imagery, this was not jesus on the cross but jesus knocking down the temple vendors.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Finally got around to seeing this. I really wanted it to be good, really big kaiju/toku fan, but there are a ton of things I don't like about it. A lot of time feels wasted or misused - the most interesting scenes were the ones with Charlie Day by far. For one of hollywood's first major modern 'giant robot' films it didn't really do its robot/monster designs justice and wasn't as good as I was hoping in the fight department. This thread's title is a lie. A real rocket punch is when the fist comes off and flies around, before somehow flying back onto the arm. I wanted one of those.

The 'it's fascist' argument actually holds some water for me - it's not literally about how the good guys are fascist or the people who like it are secretly that way, it's fascist in that it presents the same ideology that is used to justify fascism. 'Humanity will be totally fine once we destroy the irredeemables' is a real thing that some people think about the world. Yes, textually the kaiju are giant monsters who are literally trying to exterminate humanity (drones, but still), and that justifies the worldview in a way that makes the violence cathartic - imagine a world where 'the Jews' really were the cause of all the world's suffering. That is a world in which some people think they actually live, a situation that for them justifies hey you guessed it, violence and destruction.

I actually want there to be a sequel. A lot of Pacific Rim felt like it was setup, laying the groundwork for how the world works and so on - they go into some detail with the drift and then make very little use of it outside of Charlie Day's scenes. A sequel that goes completely off-the-rails and explores what you can do with mind-uniting technology and maybe a team-up with the kaiju against the actual enemy (and maybe even an attempt to come to some kind of mutual peace? Who knows?!) would be fantastic, even if it was a total mess. Pacific Rim needed to be messier.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Hbomberguy posted:

A real rocket punch is when the fist comes off and flies around, before somehow flying back onto the arm. I wanted one of those.

Says who? :colbert:

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

This man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o#t=5m30s

(I'm on my phone so that may not have formatted properly)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

Finally got around to seeing this. I really wanted it to be good, really big kaiju/toku fan, but there are a ton of things I don't like about it. A lot of time feels wasted or misused - the most interesting scenes were the ones with Charlie Day by far. For one of hollywood's first major modern 'giant robot' films it didn't really do its robot/monster designs justice and wasn't as good as I was hoping in the fight department. This thread's title is a lie. A real rocket punch is when the fist comes off and flies around, before somehow flying back onto the arm. I wanted one of those.

The 'it's fascist' argument actually holds some water for me - it's not literally about how the good guys are fascist or the people who like it are secretly that way, it's fascist in that it presents the same ideology that is used to justify fascism. 'Humanity will be totally fine once we destroy the irredeemables' is a real thing that some people think about the world. Yes, textually the kaiju are giant monsters who are literally trying to exterminate humanity (drones, but still), and that justifies the worldview in a way that makes the violence cathartic - imagine a world where 'the Jews' really were the cause of all the world's suffering. That is a world in which some people think they actually live, a situation that for them justifies hey you guessed it, violence and destruction.

I actually want there to be a sequel. A lot of Pacific Rim felt like it was setup, laying the groundwork for how the world works and so on - they go into some detail with the drift and then make very little use of it outside of Charlie Day's scenes. A sequel that goes completely off-the-rails and explores what you can do with mind-uniting technology and maybe a team-up with the kaiju against the actual enemy (and maybe even an attempt to come to some kind of mutual peace? Who knows?!) would be fantastic, even if it was a total mess. Pacific Rim needed to be messier.

So basically Hollywood Gurren Lagann? Works for me :kamina:

Yeah sorry buddy, you're not going to win this one.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 25, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Skeesix posted:

While the baby kaiju may not have killed him, he just needed to be restrained and to have his wealth and power taken away. He's now just a poor white guy in hong kong looking for his shoe. If you want jesus imagery, this was not jesus on the cross but jesus knocking down the temple vendors.

The shoe symbol is the same as Mako's missing shoe. Mako's whole thing is of course that she is trying all her life to 'get the shoe back' - overcome her trauma, avenge her family, and 'become whole again'

The equivalent image would be one of the cannibalistic gangsters crawling from the wreckage in District 9 and vowing to restore his criminal empire.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

The shoe symbol is the same as Mako's missing shoe. Mako's whole thing is of course that she is trying all her life to 'get the shoe back' - overcome her trauma, avenge her family, and 'become whole again'

The equivalent image would be one of the cannibalistic gangsters crawling from the wreckage in District 9 and vowing to restore his criminal empire.

Sure it's the same, but in Mako's case it's what's been unjustly taken from her instead of what Hannibal has unjustly taken from others.

edit: Considering the wall imagery, it's hard not to see Hannibal's character as not just an unscrupulous dealer but as a "Coyote" trafficking flesh across the border. Hell, he even dresses like a steampunk pimp.

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 25, 2014

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

A lot of people read the shoe imagery as a metaphor for 'becoming whole again', but I find that to be a little too idealistic. Mako's shoes (and there's some other shoe stuff throughout the film, and a sharing-of-shoes imagery in the fact that when you're in someone's head you're almost literally walking in their shoes/memories/thoughts/etc.) represent her desire to become whole again, one that can't ever be fulfilled - you can't bring your family back to life or truly heal trauma once it's been felt. When Idris Elba gives her the other shoe, it's presented almost as a joke "here's your other shoe - now everything's fine woo!" is so laughably simplistic that the message is this expectation itself.

Being alive, as a human, is naturally incomplete. You can't even pilot a giant robot without someone else filling in for you - communication with the Jaeger (ed: I actually made this typo by accident and didn't notice) Kaiju properly explicitly requires both a mathematical scientist and a more feely-arty 'kaiju groupie' to function.

The parting image of the entire film, need I remind you, is Ron Perlman emerging (being born, if you will) from a chest, calling 'where the gently caress is my shoe?!' - That is life. That is you, and me.

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 26, 2014

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hbomberguy posted:

The parting image of the entire film, need I remind you, is Ron Perlman emerging (being born, if you will) from a chest, calling 'where the gently caress is my shoe?!' - That is life. That is you, and me.

In the sequel it will be revealed that the Kaiju are just here to look for their shoes...

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Edit: wrong thread

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snak posted:

In the sequel it will be revealed that the Kaiju are just here to look for their shoes...

What is the black shoe?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't think the baby Kaiju was an act of rebellion to save humanity because the Kaiju are manually constructed on assembly lines as weapons. That implies a disgruntled alien factory floor worker somehow hiding a viable truck-sized fetus inside Otachi, or perhaps a conspiracy reaching deep into the upper echelons of the alien leadership to smuggle information to their enemies.

Presumably this is a part of a greater anti-imperialism/war-profiteering theme, as the factory, workers and executives responsible for making the weapons are blown up, exactly as their plans dictated. Perhaps they were tired of living with the knowledge that they were furthering communistic imperialism, even if it meant fighting fascism?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Some people interpret the baby kaiju as being also-evil because it eats a guy, even though he struck first and doesn't even die. The blue feeler its mother(?) offers to Day might have been some attempt at a living drift. Again I hope there's a sequel where it turns out that was exactly what it was doing and humanity allies with the kaiju to make an awesome world.

Then all the children say 'goodbye, kaiju!' as they ride off into the sunset. And then evil kaijus attack from space. To Be Continued.

Guillermo, you have my email address.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hbomberguy posted:

Some people interpret the baby kaiju as being also-evil because it eats a guy, even though he struck first and doesn't even die. The blue feeler its mother(?) offers to Day might have been some attempt at a living drift. Again I hope there's a sequel where it turns out that was exactly what it was doing and humanity allies with the kaiju to make an awesome world.

Then all the children say 'goodbye, kaiju!' as they ride off into the sunset. And then evil kaijus attack from space. To Be Continued.

Guillermo, you have my email address.

It would be amazing if the sequel was Humans and the "Earth Kaiju" from the first film teaming up to fight evil space Kaiju... Pacific Rim 2: Judgement Day

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Space robots

Madame Ovary
Jul 22, 2013

Snak posted:

It would be amazing if the sequel was Humans and the "Earth Kaiju" from the first film teaming up to fight evil space Kaiju... Pacific Rim 2: Judgement Day

Oh man, imagine Jaegers riding Kaiju like horses. It would be the most amazing, awesomest, dumbest thing ever made.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Madame Ovary posted:

Oh man, imagine Jaegers riding Kaiju like horses. It would be the most amazing, awesomest, dumbest thing ever made.

Kaiju are bigger and stronger than Jaegers, which means they might be able to pick up Jaegers and throw them at the enemy, like a super-sized Colossus/Wolverine fastball special. Just imagine a category five picking up a Jaeger to throw it up onto a giant Independence Day-style alien ship...

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
How did this thread turn awesome???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Since the humans have figured out how to both detect and destroy breaches on Earth, and new breaches can only allow Kaiju through at a slow rate for many years, perhaps their next attempt will be to spawn a portal on the moon. Everyone thinks the Kaiju are beaten, then bam! Orbital bombardment. Then Gipsy Danger II and his three disposable friends have to get launched into space to fight on the surface of the moon.

• Locked thread