Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I thought the bulk of the episode, the action stuff, was tolerable. A bit... too much? I dunno.

Everything else was perfect. Great send off for Troy, honest/realistic emotions all around. I loving love Community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish instead of a cover of Come Sail Away they had played a cover of the Reading Rainbow song. Great episode.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Spacebump posted:

I wish instead of a cover of Come Sail Away they had played a cover of the Reading Rainbow song. Great episode.

Or the opening of Star Trek TNG.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Atticus Finch posted:

I thought the bulk of the episode, the action stuff, was tolerable. A bit... too much? I dunno.

Everything else was perfect. Great send off for Troy, honest/realistic emotions all around. I loving love Community.

It did veer dangerously close to Season 4's "going through the motions but at a surface level only" level, but the way the ending played out almost made it feel like that was deliberate.

The end definitely outweighed any quibbles I had with the first half, though, it was a really good send off.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I kinda had a going through the motions problem at first, but then I realized the episode was supposed to be parodying itself there.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Max posted:

Yeah, honestly, the prize this time just felt like a reason for the school to go bonkers again, and was then ignored. The only person to mention it is Buzz. No one else really seems to care about it specifically, the way they did with the Paintball prizes.

When you think about it though, this is a school that has gotten swept up in three different paintball games, a giant pillow fort, another giant pillow/blanket fort and the following war, and a riot over an A-. It kinda makes sense that at this point the student body is just waiting for reasons to do stuff like this.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Mo0 posted:

It did veer dangerously close to Season 4's "going through the motions but at a surface level only" level, but the way the ending played out almost made it feel like that was deliberate.

The end definitely outweighed any quibbles I had with the first half, though, it was a really good send off.

As I posted earlier, I think the "going through the motions" feel was very deliberate. It helped to set Britta's re-emergence as a rational being apart as well as made sense as Abed's going away send-off.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Nah I don't think it was deliberate. Anyway I had a "oh another one of these" feeling at first too but then it won me over with all the different terms for and ways of moving around.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Accepted.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

El Tortuga posted:

When you think about it though, this is a school that has gotten swept up in three different paintball games, a giant pillow fort, another giant pillow/blanket fort and the following war, and a riot over an A-. It kinda makes sense that at this point the student body is just waiting for reasons to do stuff like this.

I mean before the A- Riot, Fat Neil knocked over a trash can and screamed "It's riot time!". Greendale is clearly always looking for a reason to get out of work a hotbed of revolutionary activity.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
The interaction between Britta, Troy, and Abed really made me sad that they totally bypassed Britta and Troy dating.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mexcillent posted:

The interaction between Britta, Troy, and Abed really made me sad that they totally bypassed Britta and Troy dating.

That was always a dumb thing to have happened so it's best forgotten.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Fast Luck posted:

Nah I don't think it was deliberate.

Did you watch the episode on mute?

While in a different room?

Abed started a campus-wide game of gimmick-episode because he couldn't cope with change. Like, it wasn't subtle at all.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Well that certainly was one of the finer episodes I've seen of this show. Jonathan Banks is amazing :allears:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Just rewatched this episode and I missed Duncan's "My self-published novels aren't going to publish themselves!" line the first time around. Good stuff.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ultramiraculous posted:

I mean before the A- Riot, Fat Neil knocked over a trash can and screamed "It's riot time!". Greendale is clearly always looking for a reason to get out of work a hotbed of revolutionary activity.

During the A- Riot, while other students has chairs and binders, Real Neil has board with nails sticking out of it. Dude clearly is just looking for a reason.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That was superb. Just really funny, and made great use of a premise that at first blush sounded tough to get right.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

El Tortuga posted:

During the A- Riot, while other students has chairs and binders, Real Neil has board with nails sticking out of it. Dude clearly is just looking for a reason.

By putting nails in his board he upgraded his club to a spiked club, going from a d6 to a d8. Dude knows how to do some damage.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Victor Vermis posted:

Did you watch the episode on mute?

While in a different room?

Abed started a campus-wide game of gimmick-episode because he couldn't cope with change. Like, it wasn't subtle at all.
I don't know what we're talking about, I guess. I know Abed did that. I was replying to the posters saying the episode was being intentionally bad and going through the motions on a surface level only as satire, or something.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Fast Luck posted:

I don't know what we're talking about, I guess. I know Abed did that. I was replying to the posters saying the episode was being intentionally bad and going through the motions on a surface level only as satire, or something.

Um, that's exactly what he is saying. I guess I am having a hard time trying to make it clearer: the episode was about being afraid of new things so you do a hollow version of old things to try to desperately cling to the past. If it was something awesome and new and not just a remix of something old it wouldn't thematically make sense.

I don't think the episode was necessarily bad but I think it felt like things were zipping through and we were always on the verge of wrapping things up. I think it's less "intentionally bad" and more "obviously a shameless callback (but still potentially fun in its own right)".

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

superjew posted:

By putting nails in his board he upgraded his club to a spiked club, going from a d6 to a d8. Dude knows how to do some damage.

But he also changed his damage type from blunt to piercing, and how is he going to fight the undead with piercing damage?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

But he also changed his damage type from blunt to piercing, and how is he going to fight the undead with piercing damage?

Luckily there's Hector the Well-Endowed to handle any kind of blunt damage.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
It's nice to see Britta is still capable of being smart and reasonable while still goofy. It reminds me of Season Two-era Britta. I guess she just spent the last couple season really high all the time.

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Cut me a slice of your track now
My new Criminology professor looks and sounds just like Hickey. Jonathan Banks was A+ casting.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

This was definitely my favorite "paintball" episode.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Guy A. Person posted:

Um, that's exactly what he is saying. I guess I am having a hard time trying to make it clearer: the episode was about being afraid of new things so you do a hollow version of old things to try to desperately cling to the past. If it was something awesome and new and not just a remix of something old it wouldn't thematically make sense.
No, the episode was about Abed being afraid to let go and say goodbye, so he wanted to play this game with Troy, and to continue it as long as possible so as to remain in denial. It wasn't about doing a "hollow version of old things," the lava game wasn't supposed to be hollow or bad, it was supposed to be fun (but part of Abed's denial, hence Britta's role).

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Fast Luck posted:

No, the episode was about Abed being afraid to let go and say goodbye, so he wanted to play this game with Troy, and to continue it as long as possible so as to remain in denial. It wasn't about doing a "hollow version of old things," the lava game wasn't supposed to be hollow or bad, it was supposed to be fun (but part of Abed's denial, hence Britta's role).

You're not wrong. But there's definitely a layer of self-awareness there in regards to gimmick episodes. Playing "find the meta" is optional, as it (probably) should be.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Fast Luck posted:

Those things aren't contradictory...

Yes it was about Abed being afraid to let go and say goodbye, so he tried to bribe his friend by doing the type of fun thing they used to do together. It was "hollow" (note: hollow is not a synonym for bad) in the sense that it wasn't something that arose organically, he was trying to engineer something to keep Troy around forever (he says this). And Abed towards the end didn't find it fun, he himself saw the lava as a metaphor for his world ending.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Rhinoceraptor posted:

It's nice to see Britta is still capable of being smart and reasonable while still goofy. It reminds me of Season Two-era Britta. I guess she just spent the last couple season really high all the time.

I thought season 2 Britta was the worst. It's like they had no idea what to do with her.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rhinoceraptor posted:

She was the canary for gas leak year.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Personperson14 posted:

I thought season 2 Britta was the worst. It's like they had no idea what to do with her.

Community's had a lot of turnover on the writing staff over the seasons, and early on the female writers at the time, like Hilary Winston and Liz Cackowski, were credited for aspects of Britta's early voice. They left after the first year, and Britta floated to a sillier place because Gillian Jacobs can make it work.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Personperson14 posted:

Was she? I mostly remember her getting really stupid in season 3.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Rhinoceraptor posted:

Well she wasn't stupid, but she didn't really do anything or have many great moments in season 2.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rhinoceraptor posted:

Season 2 had the random oil wrestling episode.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 26, 2014

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I got a real Waterworld vibe from Hickey this episode.

I also liked how dumb the whole thing was, and how invested everyone got. Like the jargon for their movement techniques and how punk everyone was.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Thing is, I loved silly goony bird Britta from s2-3. You can argue that it's flatter characterization but Jacobs was so good at it. "Rowboat Cop" alone, man,

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
was the season 3 opener Harmon's indirect 'gently caress you' to NBC's 'notes' on the show?

http://youtu.be/MHMkT_p7Xfc

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Dead Snoopy posted:

was the season 3 opener Harmon's indirect 'gently caress you' to NBC's 'notes' on the show?

http://youtu.be/MHMkT_p7Xfc

...indirect?

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Does Community exist in a universe where weed is now legal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Pudgygiant posted:

Does Community exist in a universe where weed is now legal?

Why?

• Locked thread