Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What will the old ones show up as? Will they be labeled as the hidden Wireless Networks or will it be something else? Are they the ISATAP 6 adapters?

What it shows up as will depend on the adapter, I believe - I've only done this for wired Ethernet NICs, so I'm not sure about wireless. But they should be greyed out (after you select to Show Hidden Devices) to indicate that they're not currently connected, so you could just delete all the greyed out ones and that should take care of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Does the Apple Store usually keep replacement power cords in stock? I lost my Time Capsule ac cord in a move and ebay prices are pretty ridiculous, tempted to just buy a new apple tv and use my old apple tv cord instead of that. Or, if someone knows how I can buy a generic version easily that would be awesome.

e: Sorry, should specify I am Canadian so I'm trying to avoid $10 + $10 shipping + $5 duty to buy from the USA...

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 26, 2014

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Cold on a Cob posted:

Does the Apple Store usually keep replacement power cords in stock? I lost my Time Capsule ac cord in a move and ebay prices are pretty ridiculous, tempted to just buy a new apple tv and use my old apple tv cord instead of that. Or, if someone knows how I can buy a generic version easily that would be awesome.

e: Sorry, should specify I am Canadian so I'm trying to avoid $10 + $10 shipping + $5 duty to buy from the USA...

Which version of the Time Capsule? The current model looks like it just uses a standard 2-prong plug:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

GokieKS posted:

Which version of the Time Capsule? The current model looks like it just uses a standard 2-prong plug:

I have a previous model. The plug looks the same as that one.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Cold on a Cob posted:

I have a previous model. The plug looks the same as that one.

Then you should be able to buy it from just about any electronics supply store or online.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

GokieKS posted:

Then you should be able to buy it from just about any electronics supply store or online.

Yeah that's what I figured. Turns out I was just being too specific by searching for things like "apple tv compatible ac cord" and "time capsule ac cord". Which makes sense because it's a generic part. :downs:

What can I say, it's been a long and tiring few weeks.

Once I searched for "two prong AC cord" I started finding what I needed. Thanks!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

Yeah that's what I figured. Turns out I was just being too specific by searching for things like "apple tv compatible ac cord" and "time capsule ac cord". Which makes sense because it's a generic part. :downs:

What can I say, it's been a long and tiring few weeks.

Once I searched for "two prong AC cord" I started finding what I needed. Thanks!

Don't feel bad. I once (drat near 15 years ago) made the mistake of going into a Radio Shack and asking for one of these cables - the power brick for the ancient Thinkpad I had bought on eBay used one, and the seller forgot to include it. They tried to insist that it was a Sony specific part and that they couldn't possibly carry it, let alone help me find it in their shoebox of a store.

I walked out and went two doors down to the grocery store and found one. You can find one drat near anywhere that sells cables of any sort. It's also known as a C7 connector, by the way.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Bought a Netgear R7000 earlier this week along with a Motorola SB6121 since they were both on sale at Newegg. I'm buying a new house and wanted to make sure I had reliable wireless and knew my lovely $50 Staples modem wasn't going to cut it.

Just put the R7000 in at my parent's place and even with the router on the 3rd floor I get full signal strength and connection speed has gone from about 40mpbs to well over 100. I'm pretty impressed so far and I'm excited to try the new modem as well once I move in. Well worth the money.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I was looking to replace my old crappy Belkin Router with an ASUS RT-AC66U. This was a router I found a few months ago and wonder if it is still a good option for me. Right now it'll be a family router. My PC and 2 video game consoles are wired into a switch that goes to the router. The rest like four smartphones, two tablets and three laptops are all going to be wirelessly connected.

I'm on a 5mbps down .40 mbps up ADSL connection. (I wish I had better)

My main concern is a router that can handle multiple devices connected to it and one that is good for gaming. I need to be able to make sure ports and such are forwarded so I can connect without little trouble.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
What's the best way to connect two "wireless ready" devices in a different room?

I tried an ethernet cable along the floor and tripped over it 20 minutes later.
I live in an apartment, so putting holes in the walls is out.

I'm thinking about wiring them to another router and bridging over 5GHz. Any drawbacks to that?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Silver95280 posted:

What's the best way to connect two "wireless ready" devices in a different room?

I'm thinking about wiring them to another router and bridging over 5GHz. Any drawbacks to that?

Get an access point or the powerline adapters. Although powerline adapters might not be the most secure thing in an apartment.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

Ularg posted:

I was looking to replace my old crappy Belkin Router with an ASUS RT-AC66U. This was a router I found a few months ago and wonder if it is still a good option for me. Right now it'll be a family router. My PC and 2 video game consoles are wired into a switch that goes to the router. The rest like four smartphones, two tablets and three laptops are all going to be wirelessly connected.

I'm on a 5mbps down .40 mbps up ADSL connection. (I wish I had better)

My main concern is a router that can handle multiple devices connected to it and one that is good for gaming. I need to be able to make sure ports and such are forwarded so I can connect without little trouble.

Got this router on sale last month. I connect 3 laptops, 2 smart phones, a kindle, a tablet, a wifi printer, plus my main desktop computer, all wireless, without issues. This with two computers, a dvd player, and game box hard wired. Stream netflix, youtube, online mmo without any problems. Granted, it's only been a month.

Edit: Almost forgot the ipod with Pandora. Personally, I think it's good router.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Any guesses on how N and AC interact on the 5Ghz band? The smallnetbuilder guys seemed to stop testing N performance on AC routers. Does N traffic on 5Ghz kill the AC performance, like the way the old 802.11b stuff would kill 802.11g?

My situation is an apartment complex where 2.4Ghz is utterly unusable. So everything will be on 5Ghz, mostly N devices but I might put my main desktop on an AC rather than run a cord if it's reliable.

For non-AC routers, the ASUS RT-N66U is so absolutely totally dominant, I would assume sticking with ASUS for an AC router is the best way to keep good N performance. But at the same time, if 802.11AC is going to be disappointing for my main PC (gaming, accessing file server) when there are a bunch of N devices talking, I might as well bite the bullet and run a cord to my main PC, and stick to the RT-N66U for maximum N performance?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I got an ASUS AC-68U - most bloody expensive router I've ever bought - and so far it has been lovely. Neverending lag issues on xbox live, crappy range, occasional slowdowns on my tablets/phones. Not to the point where it is unusable, but just to the point where it manages to loving annoy me a few times a day.

I've hosed with all the settings imaginable to no avail (any suggestions?). I'm waiting for a good, relatively stable dd-wrt build for this thing and if that doesn't do the job I'm going to dump it on craigslist.

Suffice it to say, if you're looking for an AC router I don't recommend the AC-68U.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think the go to AC rec is the Netgear R7000, but that's also $200. Others here have said the Asus AC routers are lovely.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 29, 2014

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Dogen posted:

I think the go to AC rec is the Netgear R7000, but that's also $200. Others here have said the Asus AC routers are lovely.

As an anecdotal counterpoint, I bought the AC-66U roughly 6 months ago and it's been solid. I can't recall the last time I power cycled it and I regularly pull my ISP's rated bandwith on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz in my living room roughly 60 feet away and through 4-5 walls.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Dogen posted:

I think the AC routers by Asus are terrible because Asus writes bad firmware, and there aren't as many alt-firmware options (yet) as there are for the Asus N routers.

By contrast, the Nighthawk appears to be the only Netgear router that has decent firmware support by Netgear, which makes alt-firmware less of a necessity for that router.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
My AC66 with DD-WRT has been running great. Though I don't actually have any AC devices (yet - Nexus 5 should be here soon), it's been working great with everything else.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you map the share to a drive name on the Win8 box, does that work? Does \\192.168.0.107 work even when the name doesn't?

Finally got around to having an issue with this again. Yes, accessing the server via IP does work, server name does not. Help?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

bobfather posted:

I think the AC routers by Asus are terrible because Asus writes bad firmware, and there aren't as many alt-firmware options (yet) as there are for the Asus N routers.

By contrast, the Nighthawk appears to be the only Netgear router that has decent firmware support by Netgear, which makes alt-firmware less of a necessity for that router.

I never even thought about Firmware for routers ever being an issue. drat I really don't know nothing. :v:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Psimitry posted:

Finally got around to having an issue with this again. Yes, accessing the server via IP does work, server name does not. Help?

What's the nas running? Windows? Samba?

DNS resolution working? NetBIOS lookups (DNS is preferred in windows these days, but still)? This sounds like a name resolution problem.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

GokieKS posted:

My AC66 with DD-WRT has been running great. Though I don't actually have any AC devices (yet - Nexus 5 should be here soon), it's been working great with everything else.

I have the AC68 wireless adapter on my desktop computer and it's fantastic with the AC66 router. No lag, full streaming, fast online gaming. Granted it'd be faster if I hardwired it but it's fast enough as it is.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

evol262 posted:

What's the nas running? Windows? Samba?

DNS resolution working? NetBIOS lookups (DNS is preferred in windows these days, but still)? This sounds like a name resolution problem.

Sorry - this information was (as far as I'm aware) earlier in the thread. It's running Samba on a NAS4Free server. Windows 8 machines don't seem to want to access it by using a \\servername command, but they WILL sometimes do it, sometimes not. Sometimes if I try it, and then go back to it a moment or two later, it works. Sometimes I have to reboot it. Recently it doesn't seem to want to access it through the name at all, but I can still get to it by entering the IP directly. Win 7 seems to not have this problem at all (and no, I'm not willing to go to Win 7, other than this issue, I REALLY like Win 8 with Start8 installed).

Accessing the server would be fine, except for one computer that uses the NAS as a primary storage device that I have mapped it as a network drive (Win 8 won't accept an IP address as a network drive).

Also someone asked me why I hate DD-WRT. answer: because nothing loving WORKS. I'll be the first to admit that I don't really know much about networking and that it is likely that it's too advanced for me. But I remembered tonight why I went back to my old router (until it died last week): port forwarding doesn't loving work. Neither my torrent app nor my server are accessible from outside. Worked no problem with my d-link dir-655.

Psimitry fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 29, 2014

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Psimitry posted:

Also someone asked me why I like DD-WRT. answer: because everything loving WORKS.
Fixed. See how good anecdotal evidence is?

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

z06ck posted:

And ordinarily I'd be on-board with the concept. Except that whoever it was that asked, didn't ask "why doesn't anyone like DD-WRT?" it was "why don't YOU like DD-WRT?".

ninjagrips
Mar 19, 2007
I've noticed lately that the Monoprice router I've been using needs to be reset usually once a day, sometimes more.

Seems to happen a lot when I turn on the Wifi on my phone. I'll get an IP address conflict. Or when my roomie turns on her old-rear end iMac.

Would I need to assign static IPs to avoid this sort of thing? Why can't the router just assign the next damned number down the line for each device that's connected?

I've always had issues with routers, tried to understand them, but for the most part have given up.

Is the Linksys E2500 from the original post still a good option? They've got some refurbs for cheap on Newegg, so I figured what the hell, I'll give 'er a shot.

EDIT: They HAD the E2500 refurb for cheap on Newegg. Hoping I made the right decision in ordering one, it was $30, now they've jumped up to $99. Did I get lucky?

ninjagrips fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 29, 2014

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

z06ck posted:

My guess is that it's really device specific. I had a WRT54GL with dd-wrt that has run without my having to touch it for years. On the other hand, I have a WNDR3300 with dd-wrt where cron periodically fails, and on two occasions something has gone wrong with the data in the NVRAM and the device has gotten flaky and started losing aspects of its configuration.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm beating a dead horse here, but if you don't care about 3rd party firmware, or some of the more advanced features in some of these routers, I really recommend the Apple Airport Extreme. Rock loving solid device. 5th gen refurbs are cheap right now from Apple and the 6th gen AC unit is the same price as all the other 200 dollar AC routers out there, or can be had refurb for 169 from Apple.

ninjagrips posted:

I've noticed lately that the Monoprice router I've been using needs to be reset usually once a day, sometimes more.

Seems to happen a lot when I turn on the Wifi on my phone. I'll get an IP address conflict. Or when my roomie turns on her old-rear end iMac.

Would I need to assign static IPs to avoid this sort of thing? Why can't the router just assign the next damned number down the line for each device that's connected?

I've always had issues with routers, tried to understand them, but for the most part have given up.

Is the Linksys E2500 from the original post still a good option? They've got some refurbs for cheap on Newegg, so I figured what the hell, I'll give 'er a shot.

EDIT: They HAD the E2500 refurb for cheap on Newegg. Hoping I made the right decision in ordering one, it was $30, now they've jumped up to $99. Did I get lucky?

Try a work around, see if you can reserve your phone a specific IP in the software. If you're using 192.168.1.100-.200 tell it to give your phone .199 every single time. It's a lazy work around for poo poo that should just work, but sometimes that's what you have to do. You're looking for the phrase DHCP Reservation somewhere in the GUI.

ninjagrips
Mar 19, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I'm beating a dead horse here, but if you don't care about 3rd party firmware, or some of the more advanced features in some of these routers, I really recommend the Apple Airport Extreme. Rock loving solid device. 5th gen refurbs are cheap right now from Apple and the 6th gen AC unit is the same price as all the other 200 dollar AC routers out there, or can be had refurb for 169 from Apple.

Try a work around, see if you can reserve your phone a specific IP in the software. If you're using 192.168.1.100-.200 tell it to give your phone .199 every single time. It's a lazy work around for poo poo that should just work, but sometimes that's what you have to do. You're looking for the phrase DHCP Reservation somewhere in the GUI.

Thanks, I'll jump into the GUI and give that a shot.

I would have considered the Airport Extreme, but for $30 shipped that Linksys E2500 was kinda hard to beat.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The E2500 for 30 bucks is a good deal. Pretty decent router. Broadcom chipset, 8MB flash, 64MB RAM and looks to have working builds of DD-WRT and Tomato.

ninjagrips
Mar 19, 2007

skipdogg posted:

The E2500 for 30 bucks is a good deal. Pretty decent router. Broadcom chipset, 8MB flash, 64MB RAM and looks to have working builds of DD-WRT and Tomato.

Thanks again. Gave the phone and two other PCs static DHCP. Hope that works.

EDIT: Also, what's the difference between the E2500-RM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124449&cm_sp=Pers_TrackOrderCross-_-33-124-449_1_DM-_-61299998790625000108 that I got for $30, and the E2500-NP http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124490?

ninjagrips fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 29, 2014

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Silver95280 posted:

If you don't want to spend much of anything, you can run the Ethernet cable against the wall/ceiling and use the staple gun staples for cables (the holes for which can be painted over if you leave) or put some industrial-strength tape over the run to keep it from coming up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Psimitry posted:

Sorry - this information was (as far as I'm aware) earlier in the thread. It's running Samba on a NAS4Free server. Windows 8 machines don't seem to want to access it by using a \\servername command, but they WILL sometimes do it, sometimes not. Sometimes if I try it, and then go back to it a moment or two later, it works. Sometimes I have to reboot it. Recently it doesn't seem to want to access it through the name at all, but I can still get to it by entering the IP directly. Win 7 seems to not have this problem at all (and no, I'm not willing to go to Win 7, other than this issue, I REALLY like Win 8 with Start8 installed).

Accessing the server would be fine, except for one computer that uses the NAS as a primary storage device that I have mapped it as a network drive (Win 8 won't accept an IP address as a network drive).

This is really bizarre, it seems like Win8 doesn't want to resolve the server name properly. Maybe manually enter the server IP and hostname into your HOSTS file?

And I don't have a Win8 box to test this myself, but can you not just browse to \\IP address, right click on the share you want, and "Map Network Drive"?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How crappy is 2mbps download speed going to be if I downgrade from 15mbps download speed?

Time Warner has a new 2mbps plan for $14.99/month, and I'm currently paying $61.00/month for 15mbps. I use the connection for regular web browsing, YouTube videos, Quake Live and streaming live events from FirstRowSports. Would 2mbps be sufficient for all that?

The cable connection currently goes into a n-router which feeds wifi to both my HTPC laptop and my iPhone.

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 31, 2014

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

You probably wont notice, non-HD video will be fine unless you have spotty WiFi or cable line and it has to take longer to buffer. Generally its only going to be downloading files that really shows the difference, so you might have to be aware of occasional Windows Update or similar running in the background.

If you are really worried and don't have a neighbour to test with you could install a rate limiter, set it to 2mb/s and play with it for a bit.

http://www.netlimiter.com/

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 31, 2014

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'll try that, thanks!

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

How crappy is 2mbps download speed going to be if I downgrade from 15mbps download speed?

Depends on your usage. Browsing? Gaming? Non-hd video streaming? No problem.

Torrenting? Steam downloads? Multiple users in the household? Hd Netflix? Game updates? You're going to be hating life.

2mb is definitely on the slow side. But if it's all you can afford, it's better than nothing.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Time Warner has a new 2mbps plan for $14.99/month, and I'm currently paying $61.00/month for 15mbps. I use the connection for regular web browsing, YouTube videos, Quake Live and streaming live events from FirstRowSports. Would 2mbps be sufficient for all that?

The cable connection currently goes into a n-router which feeds wifi to both my HTPC laptop and my iPhone.

Is there anyone else in the house that will be using the connection too? I'm on 1meg/1meg and my wife can't use her ipad when I'm surfing on my laptop. Youtube videos are out of the question. We don't normally do anything like netflix or any kind of streaming video/music.

We're finally convincing comcast business to put a cable in and getting 50/10 service. Going to a different kind of world.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Dobermaniac posted:

Is there anyone else in the house that will be using the connection too? I'm on 1meg/1meg and my wife can't use her ipad when I'm surfing on my laptop. Youtube videos are out of the question. We don't normally do anything like netflix or any kind of streaming video/music.

We're finally convincing comcast business to put a cable in and getting 50/10 service. Going to a different kind of world.

That wil literally change your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I live in a long, skinny terrace house. I have two wifi units, one at each end of the house. Unit 1 is a Billion BiPAC 7800N, and is doubling as the ADSL modem. Unit 2 is a TP-Link TD-W8960N, and is connected to unit 1 via a LAN cable running under the house.

Unit 2 has DHCP turned off. Both units have the same SSID, the same encryption (WPA2-PSK) and the same passphrase. Although as I'm posting this I realise they're on different channels.

This setup works perfectly with my desktop computer, my iphone, my ipad mini, and my wife's iphone. However, my wife's Macbook Air (2012 model I think, running OSX 10.8.5) will randomly disconnect from the network - sometimes every 10 minutes, sometimes every couple of hours. It's random, and it's extremely frustrating for her.

Any ideas what might be causing the problem?