Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

MF_James posted:

Haha yeah the deathadder never felt quite right in my hand, guess I will NOT be looking at getting a newer one.

I think I'll try the G500s since it's on sale pretty cheap.

Anyone have any suggestions on mouse pads? I know literally nothing about them since I haven't used them in forever.

The G400s is a much better mouse than the G500s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

I have no special allegiance to it, but I'm wondering if I am somehow missing out. Like moving from my old rubber dome keyboard to a mechanical one was pretty awesome, I don't want to somehow be using some adequate mouse when I could be using one that is obviously cooler.
I'm on a G600 and I often wonder if I should be going back to the MX518.
which I gave away...

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

I've had my Func MS-3 for four months now and the scroll wheel is developing an intermittent rebound. If I slowly scroll down one index at a time the mouse will send two up indexes periodically - if I scroll down fast the up-scroll signals occur much more frequently. This makes scrolling long documents or web pages disorienting as the page suddenly jumps the other direction before continuing in the direction I was scrolling. In shooters it's a huge pain as scrolling doesn't predictably switch weapons.

Just a heads up to other people considering the Func, the QC/durability doesn't seem all that hot.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

o muerte posted:

I've had my Func MS-3 for four months now and the scroll wheel is developing an intermittent rebound. If I slowly scroll down one index at a time the mouse will send two up indexes periodically - if I scroll down fast the up-scroll signals occur much more frequently. This makes scrolling long documents or web pages disorienting as the page suddenly jumps the other direction before continuing in the direction I was scrolling. In shooters it's a huge pain as scrolling doesn't predictably switch weapons.

Just a heads up to other people considering the Func, the QC/durability doesn't seem all that hot.

I'm currently going through the RMA process for the same thing (which isn't all that quick). Nice mouse, but I'm not sure I would advise anybody to spend the money if the reliability is going to be so poor.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I ordered a G700s and I just cannot get it to feel right. I was previously using a Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000. I've fiddled around a bunch with the DPI settings, turned pointer precision on/off, tried different response times, etc. but nothing seems to be helping.

It's hard to describe exactly what feels off about it, it feels almost floaty when it comes to precision movements. Flying around the screen feels great but when I want to click on a link or shoot a man in the face I struggle trying to line it up. 1600 DPI is the best feeling setting of the default ones if that helps, and I'm using a Goliathus Control mousepad that I got at the same time if that makes any difference.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

nozh posted:

I ordered a G700s and I just cannot get it to feel right. I was previously using a Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000. I've fiddled around a bunch with the DPI settings, turned pointer precision on/off, tried different response times, etc. but nothing seems to be helping.

It's hard to describe exactly what feels off about it, it feels almost floaty when it comes to precision movements. Flying around the screen feels great but when I want to click on a link or shoot a man in the face I struggle trying to line it up. 1600 DPI is the best feeling setting of the default ones if that helps, and I'm using a Goliathus Control mousepad that I got at the same time if that makes any difference.

There is an an acceleration option hidden somewhere in the logitech gaming software, that might be it. Also what's your polling set to?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I, too, just setup my G700s and it works fine, but I can only use the software to bind keys when it's plugged in via the USB cable, and the Unifying software doesn't see the reciever at all. The mouse works fine wirelessly, but I assume the game-specific profiles won't work.

I assume this is related to the Razer drivers that I had to uninstall 8 times before they actually got the gently caress out of my device list, but does anybody have any idea why this could all be happening? If I have to just keep it plugged in when I'm gaming that's not the end of the world, but it just irks me to have anything that doesn't work properly.

EDIT: And it seems like the auto-profile thing isn't working, but that's also not a huge deal.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 25, 2014

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I want this dumb lightup mouse (iTRocks IRM05) that apparently is only on sale in Indonesia.

I'm afraid this ebay listing is the only way I'm going to find this on sale in the US.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 24, 2014

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

the panacea posted:

There is an an acceleration option hidden somewhere in the logitech gaming software, that might be it. Also what's your polling set to?

Yeah I've tried the Logitech setting on/off in conjunction with the Windows one. I seem to be getting more used to it as I use it. Polling time is set to 500 because that's what the manual said was recommended, but I've tried 1000 and other than draining the battery faster I didn't notice much difference.

Chalk it up to using the same kind of mouse for years and then switching to a new one, I guess.

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014
Any suggestions for a wireless gaming mouse for a current mx518 user? Cutting the cord is leading to uncharted territory for me and any advice/opinions would be welcome.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Dreyvas posted:

Any suggestions for a wireless gaming mouse for a current mx518 user? Cutting the cord is leading to uncharted territory for me and any advice/opinions would be welcome.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G700s-Rechargeable-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B00BFOEY3Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390759812&sr=8-1&keywords=g700s

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014

Looking at either this or the G602 right now.

full metal socks
Sep 3, 2006
Please take a number.
I am extremely happy with the Razer Deathadder 2013, but it depends on what kinds of games you want to play with it. The deathadder is optimized for FPS's, but I find it works great for regular work as well. (I use the same laptops for day job and games.)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Dreyvas posted:

Looking at either this or the G602 right now.

Personally I think the g602 is the far better option.

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014
I'd much rather replace the batteries every few months than have to constantly worry about charging it, so yeah. Heavily leaning that way.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

Personally I think the g602 is the far better option.

Why is that?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Why is that?

It has an optical sensor.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Seems like a good time to ask, then: why is an optical sensor better than a laser?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Cathair posted:

Seems like a good time to ask, then: why is an optical sensor better than a laser?

Certain surfaces are better with one or the other (I think generally laser is capable of working on glass? but has some specific bad interactions). Other than that, optical sensors tend to have higher maximum track rates.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

kaschei posted:

Certain surfaces are better with one or the other (I think generally laser is capable of working on glass? but has some specific bad interactions). Other than that, optical sensors tend to have higher maximum track rates.

If you're fine with a DPI that a laser can support (e.g. 1600), does it matter?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The track rate thing is different from DPI; I mean the fastest you can move the mouse and still get good results. I don't remember the numbers but my G9x (a laser mouse) if I moved my hand fast enough would basically stop responding (wiggle back and forth horizontally) while with my current optical mouse I can't reproduce that behavior. I believe it's generally true of laser mice although I really don't understand why.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Not only do laser mice have lower maximum perfect tracking speeds, they tend to gently caress up horribly and stop moving your cursor or jerk it randomly as soon as it's exceeded, while good optical sensors will just cap their speed and keep tracking up to a very, very high speed. Laser mice have other problems too like bad lift-off (the distance from the surface at which the mouse stops tracking).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Also laser mice have an innate built in amount of acceleration which you can't get rid of.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

The Lord Bude posted:

Also laser mice have an innate built in amount of acceleration which you can't get rid of.

I think that's the main reason people dislike them for gaming purposes.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
Just got my Deathadder in the mail today. Holy. poo poo. This mouse is way too loving big.

Thinking of replacing it fora G400s, would that be a bit better in the size department? I actually always thought I had big hands but this mouse is noooot comfortable.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Apparition posted:

Just got my Deathadder in the mail today. Holy. poo poo. This mouse is way too loving big.

Thinking of replacing it fora G400s, would that be a bit better in the size department? I actually always thought I had big hands but this mouse is noooot comfortable.

They're roughly the same size, but the MX518/G400s is a much, much more comfortable fit (assuming right hand).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I always used to use MX500 style mice, but I bought a G300 when it came out and I'm not entirely convinced I can ever use anything else. It's a smaller, symmetrical mouse where all the buttons are on the top, and it's incredibly comfortable. It's also loving excellent for gaming because you don't have that problem where in the process of pushing a side button you shift your mouse around. It also doesn't cock your wrist back as much and is slightly more comfortable for extended use for me because of that. If you want something smaller it's definitely worth checking out.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
G300 will become harder to find as time goes on as it has been discontinued in the US and Europe.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
What are your guys' thoughts on the Steelseries brand of mice?

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree
Goo,

I've got a g600 with the non upgradeable firmware, and I was wondering if there was a specific part number that I can buy from the store that has the upgradeable firmware?

My problem is this: I've got a g13, a g710, and a g600, when I start mashing buttons when I've got my gaming software set to onboard memory (and only when I've got it set to onboard memory) my keymaps on my keyboard, mouse, and g13 all lose their minds and I have to alt-tab to get my keymaps back.. when I'm mashing buttons it usually means I'm in the middle of a "holy poo poo" moment and when I alt-tab back I'm dead.

This has only started happening since I introduced the g600 into the mix.

I do this because I usually just set my game maps to whatever my keymaps are on the mouse (and it's nothing special, control-1, control-2, etc etc.) and then use the one profile I've got saved on my hardware across all my games.

The fix for this has been to use automatic game detection but it crashes my league of legends games right when I'm supposed to be loading in and starting the game, making me reload and play russian roulette until the game finally lets me play.

I have a profile set to default and persistent, and yet LGS seems intent on switching profiles right when League of Legends starts (switches to a LoL profile, then right back, then game says "gently caress you crashing"). So I'm at a quandary, alt-tab in holy poo poo moments to get my keymaps back to what I set them to, or crash on the way into league of legends matches and lose the first 30 seconds of play.

I just thought I'd let you know what's up with this because there's been threads on the Logitech forums regarding this specific behavior when using onboard memory, and I'm thinking that your new firmware for the g600 might have it licked, but it seems like I'm being possibly punished for being an early adopter :(

Anyway, sorry for the novel there, I love the way the mouse feels, how it tracks, and when it's not swapping key mappings and crashing games I can't say I've ever played with a better mouse.

FYI my firmware on my mouse is U77.00_B0012, my firmware on my g13 is 0x0103, and my firmware on my g710+ is 0x8000. I've updated to 8.51.5 LGS, and the problems seem to persist.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Hey Goo, you've posted before about Logitech's back and forth product design with the rubberized plastics, and the way they go all manky with age. If I have some gear with that problem, is there anything that can be done about that? Like a chemical or cleaning mix that can remove the greasy feeling or even just strip the stuff entirely?

Apparition posted:

Mostly good, they had a good rep with the copy of the intellimouse 3 they used to make. The current line-up seems expensive for fairly basic wired mice, but the QC is good.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Apparition posted:

For what it's worth I'm happy with my Sensei Raw after using it for nearly 7 months. I'd agree with the assessment that it's just a bit pricey for how basic it is but I've been very happy with it. It's comfortable and works well. It seems well built and doesn't show any signs of wear yet and I use it constantly including all-day gaming sessions. I really like the software, it is simple and just works and you don't need to keep it running or even have it installed once you've saved the settings you want onto the mouse itself. Would buy again.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So I'm probably developing some RSI/carpel tunnel, but my right hand is usually the worst of the two and holding my Logitech G9x isn't exactly the best feeling in the world these days.

Any recommendations for a different wired mouse? (would like at least 2 buttons on the thumb)

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Phone posted:

So I'm probably developing some RSI/carpel tunnel, but my right hand is usually the worst of the two and holding my Logitech G9x isn't exactly the best feeling in the world these days.

Any recommendations for a different wired mouse? (would like at least 2 buttons on the thumb)

I noticed my right hand was really hurting after using my G9x for awhile too. I picked up a Death Adder 2013 a couple weeks ago and it's definitely an improvement, I find it to be a lot more comfortable for my hand size.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

originalnickname posted:

I've got a g600 with the non upgradeable firmware, and I was wondering if there was a specific part number that I can buy from the store that has the upgradeable firmware?
All the units we have in our warehouse at this point should have the upgradeable firmware. If you are experiencing issues with your G600 with build 12 firmware, you can contact Support in your region and they should be able to resolve the issue with you.

It is unlikely, however, that the updated firmware would have any effect on the issue you're describing. I've got a build 12 G600 on my work system and just tried about 12 times without success to get LoL to crash on launch with automatic game detection enabled. Without knowing what exactly is crashing it's hard to troubleshoot. However, try disabling Enhanced Graphics from the settings gear (same place you find the fw version) in LGS. This will render everything in software instead of using your GPU. Also make sure that your video drivers and LGS are the latest versions if you haven't already. If those things don't work PM me and I'll see if there's anything else we can try.

Klyith posted:

Hey Goo, you've posted before about Logitech's back and forth product design with the rubberized plastics, and the way they go all manky with age. If I have some gear with that problem, is there anything that can be done about that? Like a chemical or cleaning mix that can remove the greasy feeling or even just strip the stuff entirely?
If the thermoplastic elastomer (TPE = "rubber") is degraded to the stage where it's weeping, sticky, or otherwise permanently unpleasant to touch, there's not much that can be done to improve it. Mild soaps (hand soaps) are generally okay to use to clean the surface - taking care not to get moisture inside the product. You can try an isopropyl alcohol solution on a rag or paper towel if that doesn't work, but you need to be very careful with that (and willing to accept the risk that your device could be ruined) as it is possible to damage or strip off the material with alcohol.

Older variants of rubber materials are far more susceptible to this type of degradation than newer ones, but I haven't run into one yet that doesn't do it eventually. Still, companies are developing new stuff all the time so it wouldn't surprise me if someone eventually fixes this. Also, lots of time people perceive that soft touch (like the stuff we use on G400/G400s) is actually rubber instead of a thin coat of paint over plastic.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Apparition posted:

IF you must get one, get the new steelseries Rival. Many people like Steelseries mice but I don't - the mice themselves are super light, the software is clunky and buggy, and the buttons are too light and activate too easily. The coating they use also feels like you're mousing with a non-stick frying pan.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Goo posted:

All the units we have in our warehouse at this point should have the upgradeable firmware. If you are experiencing issues with your G600 with build 12 firmware, you can contact Support in your region and they should be able to resolve the issue with you.

It is unlikely, however, that the updated firmware would have any effect on the issue you're describing. I've got a build 12 G600 on my work system and just tried about 12 times without success to get LoL to crash on launch with automatic game detection enabled. Without knowing what exactly is crashing it's hard to troubleshoot. However, try disabling Enhanced Graphics from the settings gear (same place you find the fw version) in LGS. This will render everything in software instead of using your GPU. Also make sure that your video drivers and LGS are the latest versions if you haven't already. If those things don't work PM me and I'll see if there's anything else we can try.
If the thermoplastic elastomer (TPE = "rubber") is degraded to the stage where it's weeping, sticky, or otherwise permanently unpleasant to touch, there's not much that can be done to improve it. Mild soaps (hand soaps) are generally okay to use to clean the surface - taking care not to get moisture inside the product. You can try an isopropyl alcohol solution on a rag or paper towel if that doesn't work, but you need to be very careful with that (and willing to accept the risk that your device could be ruined) as it is possible to damage or strip off the material with alcohol.

Older variants of rubber materials are far more susceptible to this type of degradation than newer ones, but I haven't run into one yet that doesn't do it eventually. Still, companies are developing new stuff all the time so it wouldn't surprise me if someone eventually fixes this. Also, lots of time people perceive that soft touch (like the stuff we use on G400/G400s) is actually rubber instead of a thin coat of paint over plastic.

I have this issue with a bunch of stuff; I think it's the humidity or heat here, but either way this issue is a pain in the rear end and why I don't use a bunch of older mice I have anymore, among other various consumer electronics.
:negative:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Apparition posted:

The Kinzu v2 is pretty nice, even as a big fan of Logitech I really like the shape and grip on the Kinzu; it's just a shame that the sensor and buttons occasionally give me random minor problems that I just don't have with my Logitechs. The one I received was a gift, it was on sale at woot for like fifteen bucks and went even lower afterwards. Also, they are pretty feature-light, though I know steelseries does have models that add side buttons and whatnot.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

duckfarts posted:

I have this issue with a bunch of stuff; I think it's the humidity or heat here, but either way this issue is a pain in the rear end and why I don't use a bunch of older mice I have anymore, among other various consumer electronics.
:negative:
In addition to the environmental factors you list (a wide range of which we test against in special chambers before we ship our products) and the degradation properties of the material itself, there is also the chemistry of your skin in the mix. Oils, bacteria, salts, and the like all play a part in determining how the materials wear. We have seen cases where a material or paint will last for years when used by one person, but will be eaten through and destroyed within months by another. It's quite challenging to find materials that feel good to touch, are cost-effective to manufacture, and have the ability to work in multiple climates by a huge range of different people around the world. We have multiple teams around the world whose only job is to find and qualify new and better materials.

I realize that might sound like ad copy or something, but really I'm just trying to illustrate the challenge involved in getting stuff to be nice to use. It's not just a case of "slap some rubber on it now it's comfortable."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Apparition posted:

I had a Xai and still have a Sensei and Sensei RAW.

Sensei RAW is pretty much a rebranded Xai with a light up logo and has the same loose scroll wheel. I think the sensor is different because it doesn't have the horrible tracking the Xai had on cloth pads.

All of them had alot of good things going for them but there was always at least one big negative that ruined the whole experience for me.

Xai had UEFI compatibility issues. I couldn't use my keyboard until about 20 to 30 seconds after getting to the log in screen so I couldn't go into BIOS settings with the mouse plugged in. After a few months it began to drive me mad.

Steelseries customer support was nice however and gave me a free Sensei for my troubles. Everything was good with the Sensei until I found out (the hard way) that the plastic top is finished in silver leaf. It starts fraying around sharp edges and rapidly disintegrates shortly thereafter. It is not a surface designed for prolonged contact with a sweaty palm and after a year it looks ruined.

Got a Sensei RAW after that and on balance it has the least things wrong with it but around this time I moved to Windows 8 and Steelseries Engine 2 wasn't compatible with it.

Contrary to what the marketing material says, I don't think these mice have keyhold macro functionality and I have never gotten it to work correctly. Steelseries engine routinely crashed in Windows 7 and being left handed, this would result in my mouse buttons switching around.

I eventually just gave up on waiting for Steelseries Engine 3 after they released a version that only worked with headphones (I know). I fished out my old barely used Deathadder and finally decided to give contoured mice a serious go.

In my opinion its just a better mouse and as much as people complain about the software, its nowhere near as bad as anything I had to put up with in Steelseries Engine 2.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 30, 2014