Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Seh-suhl is the correct pronunciation, though?

It seems to be a regional thing. I'd never heard the name pronounced any other way myself, but when the game came out the thread here was full of americans complaining that it was being pronounced wrong.

Edit for clarity: I'm in the UK.

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I know a guy named "See-Sil". I imagine it varies, though.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Then again, hearing Yang's name pronounced with the short "a" was weird, even though I knew drat well how his name was supposed to be pronounced. When you've built up a mental voice of how these things are supposed to sound it's just weird to hear it said any other way. Hearing "chocobo" in FFX was weird for the same reason.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Suaimhneas posted:

It seems to be a regional thing. I'd never heard the name pronounced any other way myself, but when the game came out the thread here was full of americans complaining that it was being pronounced wrong.

Edit for clarity: I'm in the UK.

I'm from the American South and that's how I've always heard it and I've got something like 2 living relatives with that name (and several dead ones).

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Camel Pimp posted:

Hearing "chocobo" in FFX was weird for the same reason.

every normal person said choh-coh-boh in the first place :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fronz posted:

every normal person said choh-coh-boh in the first place :colbert:

This is completely 100% accurate. :colbert:

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

How else would you pronounce it? Like chocolate?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I mean they say it right there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y2dpvkjTCM

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Seh-suhl is the correct pronunciation, though?

There is a Cecil County in the state I live in, and it's pronounced "See-Sil" here. I kept that pronunciation when I played FFIV the first time.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

It's pronounced "See-sil". It's pronounced "Tie-dus". It's pronounced "may-ko".

:colbert:

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
I played the game when it first came out and as a 7-8 year old in Michigan I enjoyed watching Cecil Fielder hit fuckin' dingers and be fat so I pronounced it like that and it is correct.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Whoa, I just meant I didn't like the VA in general, I didn't care either way how they pronounced Cecil. Though it's with the long e, if you must know :colbert:

(They just went with the closest phoneticization obvs)

Pasteurized Milk posted:

How else would you pronounce it? Like chocolate?
My friend used to say it with a really short /tʃ/ with almost no vowel, then the other two /o/s were really long.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

The White Dragon posted:

My friend used to say it with a really short /tʃ/ with almost no vowel, then the other two /o/s were really long.
Like chih-cohboh?

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

^^^I had a friend who would call it something lick a cha-koh-bow, but I always said it the right way :colbert:

The White Dragon posted:

You poor motherfucker. Goblin is among the hardest things to get in that game because of the way FF4DS handles drops: you only get one per battle, and each of those 4-6 Goblins might drop something. If #1 drops *Goblin and #6 drops a Potion, you get the potion.

I hate to take the wind out of your sails, but it's just a horrendously-designed game all around.

gently caress it, I'm not giving up. Is there somewhere I can read more about the algorithms for the DS version, or at least the drop rate? Cause I don't mind wandering around where I'll only get less than 100 exp a fight, it's not like I can over-level when every 100 fights raises the only character that will be in the end game a level.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Seh-sil.
Choco-bow. As in chocolate and the thing that fires arrows.

South Yorkshire, England for location reference.

Tidus has no pronunciation. Saying his name brings the end of the world and everything on it. Just go with "him" or "you-know-who".
That rename thing in FFX was the dumbest thing and has literally no reason to be in there.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

gently caress it, I'm not giving up. Is there somewhere I can read more about the algorithms for the DS version, or at least the drop rate? Cause I don't mind wandering around where I'll only get less than 100 exp a fight, it's not like I can over-level when every 100 fights raises the only character that will be in the end game a level.
It's burned into my memory.

1/16 is the base rate to determine if an enemy drops an item. I'm not sure when it rolls, but I guess it doesn't really matter.
1/256 is the chance that you'll get any enemy's rarest drop (*Goblin, *Cockatrice, *Mindflayer, the Namingway items, etc.).
1/4096 is your cumulative chance per Imp.

If you complete every map in the game 100%, it doubles the rare drop rate, effectively halving the per-monster chance to 1/2048. However, I am not a mathematician so I can't tell you how further drops per encounter affects that chance. If I had to guess, I'd just multiply the cumulative chance by the number of enemies on the field, but that could just be Gambler's Fallacy and you individually always have a set chance to have the ultra-rare drop be the last item you get in a battle.

I think if you kill them all at once with an AoE, you're looking at more like 1/16348-1/24576 (halved if you have the double drop rate, of course), but I'm pretty sure Gambler's Fallacy applies to if you kill them individually.

e: I lie, AoE math would be more along the lines of 1/((4096/dropBonus)*#impsWhoDropItems)

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 26, 2014

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If the drop rate is 1/16000 per battle, then fighting 11000 battles in a row has a 50% chance of dropping Goblin.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Aurain posted:

Seh-sil.
Choco-bow. As in chocolate and the thing that fires arrows.

South Yorkshire, England for location reference.

Tidus has no pronunciation. Saying his name brings the end of the world and everything on it. Just go with "him" or "you-know-who".
That rename thing in FFX was the dumbest thing and has literally no reason to be in there.

Of all the throwbacks to include, I'm glad it was that, because "Tee-dus" is like nails on a chalkboard.

I knew a kid in school who insisted it was pronounced "chuckaboo", and he pissed me off so much with that. When they finally voiced it aloud in FF10 I wanted to call him to tell him to go gently caress himself.

Still not 100% on certain names from FF6, though. Seh-LESS is what I'd go with for Celes, and "Gau" rhymed with "wow". I'm pretty sure Cyan is supposed to have a hard C with the first syllable prounced, but we always thought it was "Sy-ANN".

And I can't hear "Aerith" and not think someone is lisping.

Northan
Nov 6, 2011

Spear Spear Spear Spear
Spear Spear Spear Spear
The only Final Fantasy I've finished is XIII and only because I was enraptured and baffled at how much I hated it.

Is this the appropriate reaction to that game?

Cal Worthington
Oct 8, 2013

Serious business.

Northan posted:

The only Final Fantasy I've finished is XIII and only because I was enraptured and baffled at how much I hated it.

Pretty much. It's very different from other Final Fantasy games.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Once you get to the cutscene where the party interrupts a fantasy grand prix you kinda can't help but see where it goes.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
The most amusing thing about FF4DS's rare summons is the fact that it's the first time they actually bothered making a proper animation for each of them beyond "enemy sprite appears, insert generic hit animation" but thanks to the retarded drop system, made it so that hardly anyone is ever going to see them.

Speaking of animations, is there anywhere you can see the bands for the ios version of FF4TAY? I'd love to see what those look like with FF4DS's engine but YT's not giving any hits for those whatsoever, only the Wiiware and PSP versions.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Northan posted:

There's never really any point where you can get stuck or lost, like I did in some of the earlier FF games when I've got the airship but don't know where I need to go next. If you like the battle system, pretty graphics, and watching the characters get worked up about stupid poo poo, then it's very easy to get through the game, and only later realise what a hollow and pointless experience it was.

You never made any meaningful decisions, you didn't understand anything about the plot or the backstory unless you checked Chocopedia every time something happened, and if you ever replayed the game, you couldn't even fight the battles differently since you'd always have the same party, stats, and abilities.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
The trick to enjoying XIII and XIII-2 requires a few steps that may be difficult for some people who aren't kind of dumb like me.

1 You have to forget it's a Final Fantasy game or you'll be disappointed in the missing elements

2 You have to love really stupid stories

3 You have to be able to ignore the most annoying traits of every character or it will drive you insane

A love for giant monsters that transform into planes and cars and poo poo is optional.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I got bored of 13 around chapter 9 but I'm too stubborn to ever put it down or stop paying attention. Unironically enjoyed 13-2 all the way through because I love time travel bullshit. Also as much as I like the battle system I'm actually really bad at it so it never bothered me that they made it easier in the sequel.

Adopt these secret techniques and you too can enjoy FF13 way more than it deserves, and possibly FF8 as well.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 26, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jibo posted:

A love for giant monsters that transform into planes and cars and poo poo is optional.

Actually, that's mandatory if you wish to live a life of contentment.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I started enjoying XIII once I realized it's basically an anime reinterpretation of Warhammer 40K.

Humans are subjugated and ruled by uncaring machine gods, Pulse Fal'cie are chaos entities, and Cocoon orders an exterminatus if even one of them comes into contact with humans. It's been so long since I've played it, so I forget most of the specifics, but there were parallels everywhere.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 26, 2014

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
There are plenty of terrible moments in XIII (mostly centered around Hope and Snow), but that moment when you walk out onto the Archylte Steppe on Gran Pulse and see just how massive it is was beautiful. I probably spent more total time running around doing hunts and poo poo than I did playing the story proper.

I started playing through a second time (but I got distracted by Ni no Kuni), and I've still found it generally enjoyable. Though I'm not that deep into Hope's lovely character arc. Overall, the story doesn't seem particularly stupider than a bunch of the other games. Maybe it's just because you only get to see the party's side of things instead of more objective and omniscient narration?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It took me 100 hours to platinum XIII, and 40 of those were main campaign. The other 60 were Archylte Steppe with very brief sojourns elsewhere. I dunno what they were thinking by having Titan there and not having you fight him though.

The Archylte Steppe in XIII-2 was much more visually impressive, but it was tiny and it was worse for it.

e: fixed terrible math error.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not going to say XIII has a great story, because I really don't remember most of it, but I enjoyed it more than, say, 10, where it feels like every single major event consists of:

"Here's an ancient tradition/ritual that needs to be completed or we are all hosed".

Tidus: "I'm an intolerable, selfish baby so I'm going to interrupt/ruin everything"

And then he always turns out to be right for completely arbitrary reasons.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I uhhh.... think you completely misunderstood 10's story.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

I uhhh.... think you completely misunderstood 10's story.

No, I understand it (obviously that is not literally what happens), I just think it's very one-note and I don't like any of the characters.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

X was basically the prototype for XIII. It's equally linear, with as much corridor running as XIII in impressive for the time areas that were quite small, a large plateau where you did mini-games and most of the end game content and such. It has better writing and characters, but structurally, they're not that different.

X had blitzball though, which I enjoyed so I was OK with it. And towns. I think X is a better game than XIII, but I hold their shared flaws against them. I've seen my fair share of people poo poo on XIII for being a linear turd of a game yet praise X as the be all and end all of Final Fantasy in the next breath.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Aurain posted:

I've seen my fair share of people poo poo on XIII for being a linear turd of a game yet praise X as the be all and end all of Final Fantasy in the next breath.

I think it's just because X was a lot better at hiding the corridors. It still felt like there was a sense of exploration in it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't know. I don't think either game hides it well when there's a minimap on screen, and the minimap is showing a blue corridor for the forseeable future. It has the better art direction of the two to help that though.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think the big difference is that X tried to get you to care about its world by giving you areas where you can explore the game world via its history and what the people in it are like, while XIII actively discourages it by making every area a different tube full of enemies you are told to rush through as fast as possible.

Plus, in X you have a general idea of where you're going next, what kind of place it is, why you need to go there, and how it fits into your journey. It gives the game a sense of anticipation as they travel through different areas. XIII doesn't really have that. You just run from place to place and there isn't usually any indication of where you are in your journey or how it fits in other than "this is a new hall you must run through."

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 26, 2014

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

I think the big difference is that X tried to get you to care about its world by giving you areas where you can explore the game world via its history and what the people in it are like, while XIII actively discourages it by making every area a different tube full of enemies you are told to rush through as fast as possible.

This certainly comes down to how much credit you're willing to give the story, but all of the corridor-ness people complain about happens in the first half-ish of the game when you're literally just running away from people trying to kill you until you escape to the world where no one else is--then it opens up when you get to Gran Pulse.

I mean, in a place where the government is on full alert and the military has been dispatched to eliminate you as a threat to the general populace, it wouldn't make much sense for you to just be hiking around and looking for loot at a leisurely pace. They really just got all the l'Cie poo poo dumped on them and they have no idea what to do themselves, so I'm willing to concede that they don't really have a good idea of where to go or a well thought out plan of action.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

morallyobjected posted:

This certainly comes down to how much credit you're willing to give the story, but all of the corridor-ness people complain about happens in the first half-ish of the game when you're literally just running away from people trying to kill you until you escape to the world where no one else is--then it opens up when you get to Gran Pulse.

I mean, in a place where the government is on full alert and the military has been dispatched to eliminate you as a threat to the general populace, it wouldn't make much sense for you to just be hiking around and looking for loot at a leisurely pace. They really just got all the l'Cie poo poo dumped on them and they have no idea what to do themselves, so I'm willing to concede that they don't really have a good idea of where to go or a well thought out plan of action.

Gran Pulse is still just some really big rooms you can run around. The game never "opens up" in the way X does. As far as the latter part goes, that's more of their cargo cult mentality making the game bad conceptually, not just in execution.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I just tried the Lightning Returns demo, and I have little idea what's going on with this combat. I feel like I'm switching roles just because I have to switch to something that has ATB to spend, rather than because that role would be useful against that enemy or in that situation. I'm not sure how there could be any reason to use one role over another when you can't use any role's abilities for more than a few seconds at a time anyway.

But what's worse than that is I have difficulty caring enough to try to figure it out. I don't care about any of these characters, the story is nonsense. Not even Fang and Sazh coming back is making me interested in this, which is just sad because I loved those two.

Maybe I'll watch an LP or something. Can we have more news about 15 now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Suaimhneas posted:

Can we have more news about 15 now?

Not for another three years, no.