Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I am currently playing through QFG1VGA as a magic user and only have to do Baba Yaga and then go into the brigand camp. I have no parry skill, and I think I am also lacking something else (lock pick?). I can still become a Paladin without parry, in QFG2..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

BadAstronaut posted:

I am currently playing through QFG1VGA as a magic user and only have to do Baba Yaga and then go into the brigand camp. I have no parry skill, and I think I am also lacking something else (lock pick?). I can still become a Paladin without parry, in QFG2..?

Yes. Any class can become a Paladin, but thieves are at a major disadvantage since you miss out on a lot of the fun of being a thief.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Cool. Is there a big advantage to taking in an imported character vs starting a new one in QFG2? There is no persistence in terms of storyline or characters, is there? Rather only in stats and some inventory?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

BadAstronaut posted:

Cool. Is there a big advantage to taking in an imported character vs starting a new one in QFG2? There is no persistence in terms of storyline or characters, is there? Rather only in stats and some inventory?

Storyline and characters are assumed regardless of whether you import or start a new character. The main difference is that an imported character can have significantly better stats - 100 in everything - while a new character will be stuck at somewhere around 60-70 at best. Ultimately anyone can overcome this difference, but c'est la vie.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Today only, 7th Guest and 11th Hour are $1.99 each/$3.98 for both. Also, after the sale ends, both games will be permanently 40% off their original price, making them $5.98 for each game.

I ended up jumping on this deal even though I've heard the games haven't aged that well since I've never played them and have been interested in them since I started to get into adventure games.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Obeast posted:

I ended up jumping on this deal even though I've heard the games haven't aged that well since I've never played them and have been interested in them since I started to get into adventure games.

7th Guest is still a decent puzzler, but 11th Hour is just plain trash. It's a horrible non-interactive B movie with a game barely attached to it as an afterthought.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

macnbc posted:

It's a horrible non-interactive B movie with a game barely attached to it as an afterthought.

Ahead of its time!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Is Blackguards the most expensive game to date on GOG? $40.50 right now, $45 regular price. :stare:

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I think Witcher 2 was full price back when it launched.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

ulmont posted:

Storyline and characters are assumed regardless of whether you import or start a new character. The main difference is that an imported character can have significantly better stats - 100 in everything - while a new character will be stuck at somewhere around 60-70 at best. Ultimately anyone can overcome this difference, but c'est la vie.

I'd add that it's just more fun to import your character, because your name stays the same and you get a real sense of connection. I'll admit, it's an emotional one, but when you're fighting the dragon in Quest for Glory V with the same hero who looked in awe as he walked into the Spielburg adventurers' guild the first time... it's a loving awesome gaming moment.

I openly admit bias by experience though. :qfg: :qfg: :qfg:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Peas and Rice posted:

I'd add that it's just more fun to import your character, because your name stays the same and you get a real sense of connection. I'll admit, it's an emotional one, but when you're fighting the dragon in Quest for Glory V with the same hero who looked in awe as he walked into the Spielburg adventurers' guild the first time... it's a loving awesome gaming moment.

I openly admit bias by experience though. :qfg: :qfg: :qfg:

How is the gameplay? Clicky adventure? Or arrow keys?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

bushisms.txt posted:

How is the gameplay? Clicky adventure? Or arrow keys?

Little from column A, little from column B.

The original EGA of QG1 and QG2 are both arrow key-text parser adventures. The remakes and QG3, 4, and 5 are icon-based clicky adventures. You can still use arrow keys in combat though.

QG5 is a little more like Diablo in that you'll be using keybinds during combat for spells, heals, etc.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 27, 2014

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Also, if you've replayed all five QFGs and are STILL looking for more, there's the pretty excellent Heroine's Quest which just came out, and did a really good job of being a QFG style game (for free).

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Clouseau posted:

Also, if you've replayed all five QFGs and are STILL looking for more, there's the pretty excellent Heroine's Quest which just came out, and did a really good job of being a QFG style game (for free).

Does the writing get any better? Because I turned it off ten minutes in because the :words: were so atrociously bad.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Peas and Rice posted:

Does the writing get any better? Because I turned it off ten minutes in because the :words: were so atrociously bad.

The top of the game is obnoxiously exposition heavy and nearly turned me off too, but once it gets to the actual gameplay and puzzles it's pretty decent. I'd say that once you get to the smaller village (about 20 minutes or so) in the game, it gets better. There is definitely some clunkiness in the writing, but overall I'm really pleased with it. I'm treating it as a way to mark time till Hero U comes.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Clouseau posted:

The top of the game is obnoxiously exposition heavy and nearly turned me off too, but once it gets to the actual gameplay and puzzles it's pretty decent. I'd say that once you get to the smaller village (about 20 minutes or so) in the game, it gets better. There is definitely some clunkiness in the writing, but overall I'm really pleased with it. I'm treating it as a way to mark time till Hero U comes.

I'll give it another shot then. I really wanted to like it, but I couldn't take it seriously.

Of course, I'd probably think the same thing if I read some of the original Sierra text now as an adult.

That reminds me: Mage's Initiation, by the team that did the QG2 remake and the KQ3 remake, is on Steam Greenlight and has almost hit the top 100. I backed it on KS and the game looks a lot more :qfg: than Hero-U does, so if that's your thing, go vote the gently caress out of it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I'm really digging Silent Service Two. There's something fun about taking out the cargo ships, and then getting attacked so you have to dive and cut your engines and hope they don't find you.

Is there any reason to play the first one? Is it more of the sane, just older?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think this got overlooked last week, but the first three DROD games are on Gog for 10 bux. Bundled. Not each.

http://www.gog.com/game/drod_1_2_3

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Does the new version come with creation tools like the Architect Edition? DROD is a great fun game, it's like Chip's Challenge for dungeon crawlers.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

al-azad posted:

Does the new version come with creation tools like the Architect Edition? DROD is a great fun game, it's like Chip's Challenge for dungeon crawlers.

Yeah, it's built right in.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There's a new sale on the front page which is time-machine-themed. "30 great games from 1983-2013 up to 90% off" according to their twitter.

Each deal appears to be timed with a 1.5 hour window, but you can upvote/downvote them to add/shave a second off the timer, so hopefully Jack Keane 2 won't cause any trouble this time.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Starting with the Zork Anthology. Zork games are ones where you can permanently screw up and have to start over, aren't they? That's holding me back from grabbing this.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm really digging Silent Service Two. There's something fun about taking out the cargo ships, and then getting attacked so you have to dive and cut your engines and hope they don't find you.

Is there any reason to play the first one? Is it more of the sane, just older?

Silent Service 1 is more of the same, and I personally think the graphics and controls crosses the line over to "too old to be enjoyable". Silent Service 2 and Silent Hunter 1 were really some of the last sub sims to toe a good line between realistic and accessible before the more hardcore-but-no-other-choice of Silent Hunter 3/4

You should try it with Historical Torpedoes! There's nothing quite like setting up a great shot only to have all three eels fail to detonate and you have to suffer all the depth charging with nothing to show for it.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Zero could. If your inventory happened to be full when a vital piece of paper blew past, for instance.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
GOG's loving creative with their sales, you gotta give them that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I was about to ask...are GOG's sales getting too gimmicky? Yeah Steam has gimmicks, but they're always tangential to "everything is dirt cheap"

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I mean, most stuff on GOG is already $10 or less, there's not a whole lot they can do there. At least they have fun with it.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Tarquinn posted:

GOG's loving creative with their sales, you gotta give them that.

jivjov posted:

I was about to ask...are GOG's sales getting too gimmicky? Yeah Steam has gimmicks, but they're always tangential to "everything is dirt cheap"

Yeah, I'm not sure I've seen a sale like this before, it's fairly interesting. I sorta wonder if people will up vote crap (Like Jack Keane 2) and down vote good stuff just to be dicks, or if that will even out with normal people or whatever. It's an interesting mechanic for this context.

Zork's almost gone, let's see what 1984 has to offer...and it's Ultima...okay.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I love reading user reviews of niche games like the original few Ultima's:

every :smug: person on gog posted:

If you want pretty graphics look elsewhere. But then these are 'Good Old Games' not the latest graphics whore-fest.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I'm willing to bet that Jack Keane will make an appearance for 2007 just because of GOG's warped sense of humor and to see how quickly that timer can be reduced to zero.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I'm probably going to vote everything down because in most cases I don't need 90 minutes to decide whether or not I want a game.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Is anyone not affected or interested by the sales? I pretty much have every game I want.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Starhawk64 posted:

Is anyone not affected or interested by the sales? I pretty much have every game I want.

That's kinda where I'm at. The last big thing on GOG I didn't have was the Baldur's Gate And Friends bundle, and I finally got that one over Christmas. Until a miracle happens and X-Wing shows up, there's not much I want on GOG.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Starhawk64 posted:

I'm sure not everyone has everything they want.

I'm going to see if anything good comes along that I can buy as gifts for a later date.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Armor-Piercing posted:

I'm probably going to vote everything down because in most cases I don't need 90 minutes to decide whether or not I want a game.

Yeah I don't know why anyone would vote a sale up. It only delays getting to the next one.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more
If Jack Keane goes on sale I'm voting it up, Thug Life.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Armor-Piercing posted:

I think most people are doing this seeing as how Ultima has lost an hour in about 30 minutes. I think the reason one would up-vote would be for others to be able to get the game more easily if it was something great that people wanted to spread around, but the internet isn't very altruistic. We probably won't see anything really great until the 90s (I'm probably forgetting some older games).

macnbc posted:

I'm willing to bet that Jack Keane will make an appearance for 2007 just because of GOG's warped sense of humor and to see how quickly that timer can be reduced to zero.

I loving hope so.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Create a bot that rapidly makes GOG accounts, then votes up Jack Keane on each one

Keep the train rollin' forever

ClownSyndrome fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 28, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
King's Quest 1-3 for $3? Yeah, I'll bite. I always had a passing interest in the old Quest games, I just don't think they ever hit a price point I was okay with.

EDIT: Jesus, its shaved off 20-some minutes in less than 2. That's insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
King's Quest 1+2+3 70% off ($2.99) comes in now for 1985.

It's dropped 20 minutes since being put up 5 minutes ago. Sounds about right.

Edit:

jivjov posted:

King's Quest 1-3 for $3? Yeah, I'll bite. I always had a passing interest in the old Quest games, I just don't think they ever hit a price point I was okay with.

You're better off getting the free remakes from http://www.agdinteractive.com/