Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
What rub did you use? That looks awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

BulimicGoat posted:

What rub did you use? That looks awesome.

Thanks. It was just 50/50 salt and pepper. I followed this series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU

for the most part.

davestones
May 7, 2009
I want to make American Barbecue-style pulled pork and ribs but I am:

a) poor; and
b) live in the UK.

Because of this I don't have a smoker, but I do have a slow cooker and a cast iron le Creuset casserole dish (dutch oven?), and a gas oven. Using the BBQ isn't an option as my part of the UK is basically Waterworld at the moment.

Is there a facsimilie of a smoker recipe or another recipe anyone recommends I can do in my oven or slow cooker? I throw myself on the mercy of the more experienced Barbecuers.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
This might work, it's more for cold smoking though
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Cardboard-Smoker/

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why can't you BBQ in the rain?

Slow cooker is ok for Carolina style. I would take a 3-4 lb shoulder, tablespoon of salt, cup or two of apple cider vinegar, a healthy amt of pepper, splash of hot sauce, generous pinch of cayenne and red pepper flakes and let it cook for like 12 hours. Oh and some brown sugar.

If you want more traditional id use a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and replace the rest with BBQ sauce. Leave out the spice and the brown sugar. Be careful with the salt.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I love dry rub barbecue, but I have no outside space. It's not quite the same, but there's definitely a lot you can do in your oven -- just google for it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
A slow cooker may not be the most orthodox method of making barbeque but they can turn out some pretty good tasting pulled pork in a pinch.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Bob A Feet posted:

A slow cooker may not be the most orthodox method of making barbeque but they can turn out some pretty good tasting pulled pork in a pinch.

Oh seconding this also, I've made a pretty great pulled pork in a slow cooker. Put a bed of rough chopped onions on the bottom, lay the butt on top, 1 cup worcestershire, 1 cup apple cider vinegar and let it go on low for 8 hours. Seems to work much better with a heavy brown sugar rub, and it ends up being a little sweeter, but still really good.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Anyone got any recommendations for mods for an MES analog? Considering drilling a few holes in the bottom/top to get some more airflow going. Right now I have the door latched very loosely just to get some more airflow on the chips, if I don't do that I won't get smoke :(

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
If you are going to do slowcooker pork do yourself a favor and stick it in the over for a while first to get a bit of crust on it. Pulled pork with no bark is sad pork.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok so I had roast duck at a place in Edmonton this weekend. Pretty tasty and my first time eating duck that I enjoy.

How is smoked duck ? Is it worth doing, I was thinking with all the fat in it, it would get some sort of malliard reaction going ? (Mallard ?)

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

davestones posted:

I want to make American Barbecue-style pulled pork and ribs but I am:

a) poor; and
b) live in the UK.

Because of this I don't have a smoker, but I do have a slow cooker and a cast iron le Creuset casserole dish (dutch oven?), and a gas oven. Using the BBQ isn't an option as my part of the UK is basically Waterworld at the moment.

Is there a facsimilie of a smoker recipe or another recipe anyone recommends I can do in my oven or slow cooker? I throw myself on the mercy of the more experienced Barbecuers.

As a UK meat smoking goon. We don't seem to have same cuts of meat as the US, but we can buy the same kit as them (albeit more expensive since it all gets imported from america)
I bought a cheapie chinese meat smoker from Amazon, which after I smashed all the joins with a hammer, it actually sealed up pretty good. It was only like £38 to buy it just before Christmas, however now they're out of stock, so your next cheapest option would be a Brinkmann (which to be fair is a much more well regarded make):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brinkmann...=item2a36d47023

Here is the one I bought, it might be in stock on sites other than amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TecTake-Charcoal-Barbecue-Smoker-indicator/dp/B00CU2PQLY/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

To work around problem A, once you understand how a meat smoker works, it really wouldn't be too hard to build one out of a metal bin, an angle grinder, some snips, a drill and a couple of stainless steel grills. It'd cost you £30 and while it would look a bit ghetto it would work just fine.

If you're living in Norfolk or something, I'd hold off until the floods are over as the charcoal doesn't burn too good underwater. Some rain is fine though. You can start it up, and then sit inside and only have to pop out once every 45 mins to check the temperature and stir/add more coals

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 27, 2014

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

bunnielab posted:

If you are going to do slowcooker pork do yourself a favor and stick it in the over for a while first to get a bit of crust on it. Pulled pork with no bark is sad pork.

What temp/time would you recommend for this?

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

jonathan posted:

Ok so I had roast duck at a place in Edmonton this weekend. Pretty tasty and my first time eating duck that I enjoy.

How is smoked duck ? Is it worth doing, I was thinking with all the fat in it, it would get some sort of malliard reaction going ? (Mallard ?)

I tea smoked a duck in the spring or early summer and it was out of this world. There is a post in this thread, not the most detailed post ever irc, but we used a few recipes found on line.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
Sorry, for the double post

I know it isn't the best, but there it is.
A friend cobbled together the rub from a few websites which is why its so vague.

Dukket posted:

Tea smoked a duck last week. The pix aren't great and the duck was a over done, but on the upside - I realized that I DO like duck, but only when its grilled/smoked. It cooked indirect for about three hours with a chunk of apple wood, several ounces of earl grey, three star anise and some of the rub and a lot of sugar.

For the rub we used:
Lotta spice house Chinese five spice
Three crushed Thai chile
Crushed peppercorn
Sea salt
Clove
Minced ginger.

pears and the neck, we saved the carcass and the neck for stock.

Carved - as you can see its over done, probably 10 plus degrees

EDIT - fixed

Dukket fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 27, 2014

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

davestones posted:

Sticking to the question - using oven or slowcooker - I would say yes. This is totally untested and I'm making it up, but I bet it'd work.

Get yourself some ribs or pork shoulder. Mix up a little bit of liquid smoke with some apple cider. This stuff is actual smoke, highly concentrated - maybe 4-5 drops in a half cup of cider. Paint the meat with that, then hit it with a dry rub. Set that, uncovered, in the fridge overnight to let the skin dry a bit. This is called forming the pellicle. Normally you do that because it helps the meat absorb smoke, but now we're doing it just for texture.

Next day or two, pull that meat out (a few hours before, if shoulder.) Roast at 230-260C (450-500 F) until you get some nice color on the outside. Drop the heat to 105-120C. For ribs, cover tightly with foil, then roast about four hours, until you can twist a bone out pretty easily. For shoulder, I'd roast uncovered for four hours, then covered with foil until you can twist a hunk of meat out with a fork. That will be anywhere from four to eight hours after that.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
What I've been doing in the oven so far is low/slow/moist at first, then finishing with the broiler or high temp. I like that, but report back if you try it the other way.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

What temp/time would you recommend for this?

It depends how lazy you want to be about it. I had decent luck with 450 for maybe 20-30 min. Really just keep checking it and once it looks crusty then pull it and stick it in the slow cooker.

For slow cooker pork I liked to mince it rather then pull it. I think you loose too much of of the texture cooking it in a crock and mince style bbq hides this very well. It is kind of a pain though unless you have a huge cutting board.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
low n slow in the oven works well. Make sure the meat is not in a pan but suspended above a large pan to catch the drips. Set oven to 225F and then monitor meat temp with a probe.

The bark on the outside doesn't get as nice as over the smoker, and you don't get the smoke flavor, but for ribs, brisket or shoulder, the texture on the inside turns out just as well. As others have said you can try broiling it and flipping it at the beginning or towards the end to get a bit of extra char and flavor.

This is how I started learning to cook low n slow, I would do it on a charcoal grill with wood chips to get some smoke flavor for the first hour and then put it in the oven for the rest of the cook which had better temperature control.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?
I'm looking to do a smoked variation of this recipe, which is a BBQ philly cheese steak roll. Basically, it calls for cutting a pocket in a beef tenderloin and stuffing with cheese, onions and peppers. Couple questions:

1. I've always had better luck with butterflying and rolling up (roulade style) these cuts for this type of recipe. Other than cheese melting out, is there an advantage to cutting a pocket that I don't know about?

2. Getting a 6-7lb. beef tenderloin at $10/lb is pretty steep (feeding 12 + leftovers). Surely there is a cheaper cut that will come out as good if not better if cooked low and slow? Any recommendations?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Doing 14 lbs of beef Short rib plus two racks of pork side ribs.

Wish me luck

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

Trane posted:

I'm looking to do a smoked variation of this recipe, which is a BBQ philly cheese steak roll. Basically, it calls for cutting a pocket in a beef tenderloin and stuffing with cheese, onions and peppers. Couple questions:

1. I've always had better luck with butterflying and rolling up (roulade style) these cuts for this type of recipe. Other than cheese melting out, is there an advantage to cutting a pocket that I don't know about?

2. Getting a 6-7lb. beef tenderloin at $10/lb is pretty steep (feeding 12 + leftovers). Surely there is a cheaper cut that will come out as good if not better if cooked low and slow? Any recommendations?

What an interesting idea. If it were me I would use a brisket, maybe just the flat. I would cut the pocket not in the edge, but along one edge of the top of the brisket kind of on a slant, making sure not to cut all the way through. That would form kind of a diagonal pocket into which you could stuff the onions and peppers. When it is done I would slice it in very thin slices (across the grain of course).

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
So I'm looking to do the smoked baked beans with pork butt drippings, but I prefer smoking the pork in a foil pan. There should be no difference if I just pour what's left in the pan into the beans and stir it up versus letting it drip through the rack, right?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

BulimicGoat posted:

So I'm looking to do the smoked baked beans with pork butt drippings, but I prefer smoking the pork in a foil pan. There should be no difference if I just pour what's left in the pan into the beans and stir it up versus letting it drip through the rack, right?

Better even because you have more control over the amount you put in.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Plus you can separate the jus from the fat and use both in the right ways. Don't ever waste that. That's liquid gold in my kitchen.

I finish smoked pork shoulders in a pan in the oven because I'm lazy. (A half-sheet pan, not foil, because I am cheap.) I save every drop of that jus and fat from the pan; just stick it in the freezer and scoop out as needed. A smidge of the fat in a really hot pan, add halved brussel sprouts and sliced shallot. Get some good color. Add dry white wine or sherry, some apple cider, and a cup or so of that jus. Cover, simmer a few minutes to steam the sprouts. Uncover, reduce a few minutes, then taste. Add a little apple cider vinegar to brighten it up and bang - best brussels sprouts in the world.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I bet we're the unhealthiest thread on SA.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

jonathan posted:

There's probably a few threads in The Crackhead Clubhouse that have us beat.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

jonathan posted:

Disagree. I eat a lot of meat and animal fat - in moderation with a lot of veg. When I smoke a pork shoulder I portion, seal, and freeze chunks of smoked meat for dinners over the next month if it's not intended for a party or something. When I make a run of bacon I slice, seal, and freeze a few months' worth. I actually eat less bacon than most folks because it's a pain to make, first. Second, it tastes so much better than what we can buy, so we cherish it more. We actually eat a lot less bacon than most people, but when we do it's awesome.

For the smoked pork shoulders, I make one and use it for many meals. Each taco doesn't have to have a quarter pound of meat in it. Sure, you can if you're young and/or rich, but that's a bit of an extravagance. I also use it for Carolina bbq and on that topic - put the slaw on the sandwich. It's better that way, and you can have a big rear end sandwich that's still pretty (in my view) healthy. I save the smoked fat and protein-rich jus and use that to cook more vegetables.

But I'm an old guy with a family and all, so ymmv.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

pr0k posted:

I also use it for Carolina bbq and on that topic - put the slaw on the sandwich. It's better that way, and you can have a big rear end sandwich that's still pretty (in my view) healthy

I love BBQ but lets not kid ourselves. An enriched flour bun + fatty pork + sugary sauce (including Carolina which probably has brown sugar) + mayo slathered veg in a traditional slaw isn't exactly healthy, especially in big rear end portions.

Apologies about the derail.

It's not deep fried wings or candy bars but yeah.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
I dunno a pulled pork sandwhich to me seems like it is made of Carbs, Protein and Fat. The three main macro nutrients we need to survive. Sure some incidental vitamins are necessary too but in this day in age we all get plenty. Even without taking vitamin supplements according to a recent study.

The problem more has to do with nutritional density.

1lb of meat is around 1000 calories.

1lb of fat is 3500 calories.

1lb of french bread is 1300 calories.

1lb of cabbage is about 125 calories.

1lb of sugar is 2000 calories.

So there are a lot of calories on one sandwhich I presume. Just don't east so many of them fatty. But you could eat cabbage all day long and starve to death still.

The refined carbs are the biggest problem this day and age probably. There is just so many calories involved in small serving sizes. Sizes that don't leave you full but maybe spike your insulin and leave you craving the energy rush again a couple hours later so you eat more of them.

Sorry for the tangent, It is just always weird to me hearing a particular food labeled as un healthy when it is really no different to what we always eat. Maybe all the carcinogens in smoked meats are causing other health issues but I would rather remain ignorant about that.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I figure that everything is a carcinogen, everything is going to kill you, so who gives a poo poo. Eat what you want (within reason).

copen
Feb 2, 2003

VERTiG0 posted:

I figure that everything is a carcinogen, everything is going to kill you, so who gives a poo poo. Eat what you want (within reason).

Yes, this is my philosophy pretty much. For the record I cook 90% of the food I consume. Eat as much fried chicken and carnitas as I want pretty much. I am still underweight with good blood work.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

copen posted:

Yes, this is my philosophy pretty much. For the record I cook 90% of the food I consume. Eat as much fried chicken and carnitas as I want pretty much. I am still underweight with good blood work.

If you are under 25 this is fine. Once you top 25, well, look out.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
im 30 :p

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Nobody cares that barbecue isn't the healthiest thing you can consume.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
My weight stayed pretty static until I quit smoking tobacco at which point I gained 20 lbs. Since I started using my grill more I've lost about 10 lbs. So, CLEARLY both tobacco and grilled/smoked foods are good for you.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Heh, the Amazing Ribs guy just tweeted this article he wrote for Huff Post debunking an article that Slate wrote about grilling & cancer:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-goldwyn/slate-errs-big-time-in-ar_b_4701920.html

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

VERTiG0 posted:

Heh, the Amazing Ribs guy just tweeted this article he wrote for Huff Post debunking an article that Slate wrote about grilling & cancer:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-goldwyn/slate-errs-big-time-in-ar_b_4701920.html

My take away from that is that there is a world of smoked meats out there I have never even heard of. I have a near limitless supply of grape vines, can I smoke over them?

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
Double post

Dukket fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

bunnielab posted:

My take away from that is that there is a world of smoked meats out there I have never even heard of. I have a near limitless supply of grape vines, can I smoke over them?

I never have myself, but I've seen a number of reference s to grilling/smoking with grape vines.

I saw them for sale for that use in Michigan.