Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Poor Iph. She's basically the thread mascot here, and I'm sad to hear lab error caused this. What can be done about the lab that sent back consistent false negatives, or is that just one of the accepted hazards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Serella posted:

Poor Iph. She's basically the thread mascot here, and I'm sad to hear lab error caused this. What can be done about the lab that sent back consistent false negatives, or is that just one of the accepted hazards?

There's an accepted rate of false negatives and the lab she used to use was using a less accurate ELISA than some of the more trusted labs. It's the cheapest option but the more I hear about the lab the less I would trust any result coming out of there, negative or positive. Biotracking and WADDL are the big trustworthy labs that most goat people use for routine testing and I plan on sticking with them.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
Since you can wether the bucks, can you spay the females? If so, what's the terminology?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

You can spay a goat, and its just called spaying, but its very uncommon. Anesthesia is really tricky in goats so its best to take them to a vet school where they hopefully are more experienced with it and the expense is generally too much. Most farms can't rationalize having an unproductive doe anyway. The common way to deal with CAE positive does is to breed them to get a replacement doe, raise it using preventative measures then butcher the positive mother. But that's usually dairy goats where being unable to be bred and kept in milk safely is a huge issue.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Enough talk about sad things we can't change. Lets have some cormos.

Bialy was looking super smug about getting his coat off.

Beignet has the fuzziest face ever and he loves pettins. I could squish that fluff all day.

Flapjack must have been busy stuffing his face because I don't seem to have any pictures of him.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Dang, why can't I stick my arms through this monitor and hug those cutie pies! :cheeky: Thanks for the adorable photos IJ!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
How's Goliath? I was reading through the earlier parts of the thread and I forgot about his hooker boots :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Writer Cath posted:

How's Goliath? I was reading through the earlier parts of the thread and I forgot about his hooker boots :3:

He's as giant and mellow as ever. I had him and Sherman out with the big jacob boys because they're pretty much the same size but he started dropping weight fast so now he's in with the cormos and Heath while he bulks up. The jacobs are huge pigs and weren't really in to sharing their extra hay rations with the baby boys and while Sherm will just push his way in and take whatever, Goliath is to big to be inconspicuous about it and too chill to really force the issue.

Once he's a big mature ram this won't be an issue but right now he's still growing like crazy and if he doesn't eat a ridiculous amount of hay a day he gets skinny fast. Once the weather calms down I'll be picking up a big round bale off hay to just keep in the boys' pasture and he can go back out then because there will be more than enough for everyone.

I'll try to take some pictures of him soon because he has the sweetest face and is developing a really goofy white mustache mark :kimchi:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

The gal with the youtube channel with the pet camels now has a Jacob Sheep. Here is the link if you wanna take a look
http://youtu.be/uizV4k_P5sc Some of her videos are hilarious!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

piscesbobbie posted:

The gal with the youtube channel with the pet camels now has a Jacob Sheep. Here is the link if you wanna take a look
http://youtu.be/uizV4k_P5sc Some of her videos are hilarious!

What a sweet little lilac boy :3: His horns are growing in all funny, it would be interesting to see how they end up when he's an adult.

Went out to visit the bucks today and we chose Rex. It really was a toss-up between the two. They're full brothers and look pretty much exactly the same (they were both totally covered in pee :barf: but at least that means they're impressive to the ladies) so I just said the younger one because I think he'll get along with Heath better. He's slightly more grey/taupe while the other one was more red but genetically they're both fading reds so whatever. The owner's daughter is a vet so she's going to draw blood and send it off for CAE testing and then we'll figure out a time to pick him up.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I was told there would be Goliath pictures. :colbert:

I'll settle for Heath.

Edit: Congratulations on the new addition. May his pee not reek unduly.

Writer Cath fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 1, 2014

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Hey Goliath someone wants to see you (and not you Deedles I see you lurking back there)

"Me? People want to see me right??"

No, its Go time now.

His boots aren't as clear anymore, once I shear him they'll probably be more obvious again.

Frosty lips :3:

And then it started sleeting because its February in Ohio.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
HE HAS A MUSTACHE!

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Can I come to Ohio and snuggle him? :kimchi:

Meles meles
Oct 4, 2010

Instant Jellyfish posted:

What a sweet little lilac boy :3: His horns are growing in all funny, it would be interesting to see how they end up when he's an adult.

Went out to visit the bucks today and we chose Rex. It really was a toss-up between the two. They're full brothers and look pretty much exactly the same (they were both totally covered in pee :barf: but at least that means they're impressive to the ladies) so I just said the younger one because I think he'll get along with Heath better. He's slightly more grey/taupe while the other one was more red but genetically they're both fading reds so whatever. The owner's daughter is a vet so she's going to draw blood and send it off for CAE testing and then we'll figure out a time to pick him up.

I feel your piss based goat pain. Our buck goat, Kane, is adorable. Hand reared, super friendly, lolvely guy, always comes over to the pen and tries to get attention. Downside, currently stinks of goat pee :(

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

It's me with another dumb question, After breeding season, do you need to bathe the males to get rid of the urine smell and the dried urine or do they stop the behavior and it wears off? It seems to me you would need to bathe them because you harvest their wool/fur? I'm kind of a germ phobic due to prior hospital MRSA event. Or do they smell/behave like this year-round?

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Meles meles posted:

I feel your piss based goat pain. Our buck goat, Kane, is adorable. Hand reared, super friendly, lolvely guy, always comes over to the pen and tries to get attention. Downside, currently stinks of goat pee :(

Be glad he has never decided that humans are a suitable hump target. :shepicide:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

piscesbobbie posted:

It's me with another dumb question, After breeding season, do you need to bathe the males to get rid of the urine smell and the dried urine or do they stop the behavior and it wears off? It seems to me you would need to bathe them because you harvest their wool/fur? I'm kind of a germ phobic due to prior hospital MRSA event. Or do they smell/behave like this year-round?

They mostly cover themselves in pee only during the rut which is from September-ish to February-ish which is when the does are cycling and the bucks are really hoping to impress them with the crazy amount of pee they are wearing. They always smell a bit buck-y but that's when they're at peak stink. During that time there's a risk of urine scald that you've got to be aware of and some people apply diaper cream regularly to the goat's front legs to prevent it.

You can wash the goat after rut is over but I've found it's easier to just wash the fleece once it's off the goat than to try and give them a bath. They really, really hate getting wet and I shear in March when it's still pretty cold here so I don't want them getting chilled while drying. Just takes some power scour and hot water and their fleece is fresh and clean, no matter how pee-covered it was before.

I don't know if I've shared this before but here are stupid goats making stupid goat noises, almost all of them are bucks in rut making their "sexy" noises.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ8IethsyIQ

Grape Soda posted:

Can I come to Ohio and snuggle him? :kimchi:

Anyone who wants to visit critters is welcome, just let me know first so my dog doesn't eat your face. We'll be having another shearing festival day this year some time in April after lambing starts that will be open to the public. This year I think I'm going to be using Heath as a demo animal so that should be interesting.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hey Jellyfish, remember when I asked to WWOOF for you? Well, i'll be going to a place a bit similar to the operation you run, jacobs included. I had to double check that it wasn't you :3 Would it be okay if I had your contact info for goat or sheep questions? Shoot me an e-mail at DELTETED!!. I will pay you and the thread back with goat baby pictures.

Here's where I'm headed: http://khakalakifarm.com/home.html

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 3, 2014

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Emailed! Have fun, it looks like a great place :)

Meles meles
Oct 4, 2010

Pogonodon posted:

Be glad he has never decided that humans are a suitable hump target. :shepicide:

He has :( (not to me, phew) At work we have finely honed the art of leading him with two leadropes to avoid him rubbing all over us.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I think I'm in need of a pick-me-up today...got any snowy sheep to show us? :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

They aren't particularly snowy (because they are refusing to go out in the snow) but have some sheep.

Sherman!

Jewel doing what Jewel does best.

Little Clem

Mooooose

Mooooooooose

Jazz refused to believe that I didn't have snacks.

Eveleth used to be super wild but has learned that I give her extra treats because she's old and has decided that I'm not the worst after all

Eleanor its almost your birthday (and my birthday because we're birthday buddies)

Miss Page

Flirt kisses :3: Her birthday is on valentine's day

Maddie you're the cutest with your little cormo face.

Then someone was biting me.

You goats are the worst.

Wait no.

This goat is the worst.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Thank you for the new photos InstantJellyfish! I needed something to make me smile!

Esther Gum
Dec 27, 2005
:-)
I concur. I'm having a horrible day and am stressed to the max. Their little faces make me so happy.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Decided to catch up on this thread, and what a delightful start to the morning. I want to pet and hug all of them. :3: I can't wait for spring, when the local dairy farm has its on-farm sales again, complete with goat petting.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

This goat is the worst.

I wanna kiss him nose SO BAD!

God dammit I wish I still lived back in my hometown. It was right on the border of IN and OH, and I'd be SO CLOSE to goats and sheepies. I'd make special road trips to come by for lamb snugglin.

IJ, will you send me a lamb when one is born? I promise I'll send it right back after I get my fill of cuddling. I swear. Just one, for like a week, and you can have it back. Pleeeeeeaaaaaaaseeeeee

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thanks for providing, IJ! :3: I love Moose's nose. He's ALL nose.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Flirt kisses :3: Her birthday is on valentine's day

Aw, that's a lovely snow moustache. Any chance of sheep in birthday hats, or would they just eat them? :3:

And are you sure Moose isn't part moose, that nose is enormous. :kimchi:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

McDragon posted:

Aw, that's a lovely snow moustache. Any chance of sheep in birthday hats, or would they just eat them? :3:

And are you sure Moose isn't part moose, that nose is enormous. :kimchi:

Hmmm, I think I have some birthday hats around somewhere. I'll see if the girls can be bribed with some animal crackers for some birthday fun.

Moose (actually named Prism) cracks me up because she looks nothing like the other cormos. She's just so moose-y. I think its a merino throwback because I've seen some moose-y looking merinos. The fact that she has a much less wooly face doesn't help things.

Compare:
Pageface

Eclairface

Bialyface

Mooseface

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

She has an adorable face and yes, she does resemble a moose face! LOL!

Birthday hats would be super!:)

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Wait. Speaking of Madam Mooseface; did you ever get around to naming her twins?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

AcetylCoA! posted:

Wait. Speaking of Madam Mooseface; did you ever get around to naming her twins?

The big one is Bialy and the little one is Flapjack.

I need to dig up my list of name ideas soon so I can be sure I have enough to pick from this year. Jacobs are plants, Romeldales are tanks/military stuff, and the cormos are pastries/desserts/baked goods. I've got to have themes or there are just too many names to pick from.

vvv its on the list now vvv

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 13, 2014

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Why have you not named a Jacob Cactus yet.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

I need to dig up my list of name ideas soon so I can be sure I have enough to pick from this year. Jacobs are plants, Romeldales are tanks/military stuff, and the cormos are pastries/desserts/baked goods. I've got to have themes or there are just too many names to pick from.

Cartoon villains.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Nominating Babka and Knish for a cormo. Erwin and Abrams for a Romeldale.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

You have a Bialy but no Bloom? Though I suppose they should have an age difference.

I wanna smoosh my face into the sides of your sheep. Is that really weird? :ohdear:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

GabrielAisling posted:

You have a Bialy but no Bloom? Though I suppose they should have an age difference.

I wanna smoosh my face into the sides of your sheep. Is that really weird? :ohdear:

It's moisturizing :eng101:

I weirdly sort of like the sheep smell. It's like sweet hay and sunshine and lanolin. Nothing better than a warm spring morning sitting in the pasture with a pile of lambs on your lap and all the sheep around you contentedly chewing their cud and enjoying the sun.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

What, lambs come up and sit in your lap? I'm so jealous.

Besides, I thought they were too busy leaping about and stuff. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The cormos seem to enjoy lap time and goat kids will pile onto you if you let them.

And everyone has to take a break from bouncing sometimes.

• Locked thread