Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Mr Scumbag posted:

Blocking seems to be rare. Just tried two more runs with the same party and I still can't hit anything. This isn't RNG, something's hosed up.
Perception is the +hit chance stat (you did mean that right?)

And you are pumping your weapon skills (axe/sword) first, right? Those have more to do with hitting than even the armor skills.

And you're not fatigued I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

ShadowHawk posted:

Perception is the +hit chance stat (you did mean that right?)

And you are pumping your weapon skills (axe/sword) first, right? Those have more to do with hitting than even the armor skills.

And you're not fatigued I hope.

Yeah, this is all happening in the spider lair at the start of the game, so when testing this party vs others, there's very little room for any accumulating mistakes I might make. I can't understand why a Blade dancer of all classes could have such a lovely hitrate, especially when I specifically buffed both my dagger skill AND my chance to hit first thing. I'm starting to think I'm bugged or something. I've tried the same party and same run three times now and can't hit anything, that's getting beyond just bad rolls. I get so frustrated I alt+F4 and play something else.

E: I should add that I've played with two separate parties containing a Barbarian without any chance to hit added and both have had much better success in hitting enemies than this goddamned Blade Dancer.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 28, 2014

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
Have you tried using sword? Is the Spider Queen's armour absorbing all the damage of the starting dagger?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

shalcar posted:

Have you tried using sword? Is the Spider Queen's armour absorbing all the damage of the starting dagger?

I tried using swords on one of the runs. Same result.

I just remade the party and pumped all my starting stats into perception taking it from base 6 to 11. I still miss most of the time. Either I'm having some weird issue or people are really overstating how good Blade dancers are.

I've decided to give up on BD. JUst doesn't work at all for me for whatever reason. What would be a suitable guy for physical DPS?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
You already have a Barbarian, so Hunter or Mercenary would be good bets, depending on if you prefer a little more ranged firepower or defensive strength. Defender is another option, but their DPS is not as fantastic, although their survivability is second to none.

e: Scout and Crusader have a lot to recommend them as well in terms of damage, depending on what flavour you want covered.

shalcar fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 28, 2014

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Should I pump some vitality on my ranger/freemage? They're getting 1 shot straight to death from full health by crit spells a good bit which is annoying as hell.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

THE PWNER posted:

Should I pump some vitality on my ranger/freemage? They're getting 1 shot straight to death from full health by crit spells a good bit which is annoying as hell.

I raised Vitality on my freemage and it helped her survivability a lot; the Magic stat contributes less to damage than the relevant magic skill does, so you can still have very solid offensive power without going all magic, all the time. I'd recommend at least a point of Vitality per level whenever you're not feeling 100% comfortable about surviving attacks.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

THE PWNER posted:

Rangers can get GM Endurance for a reason, as the damage they take tends to be bursty and their skillset reflects that. Vitality is always worth getting, since knocked out characters don't do any damage (although it can be a lesser problem if your healer can just patch them all the way back to full health in a single round too).

e:

Thuryl posted:

I raised Vitality on my freemage and it helped her survivability a lot; the Magic stat contributes less to damage than the relevant magic skill does, so you can still have very solid offensive power without going all magic, all the time. I'd recommend at least a point of Vitality per level whenever you're not feeling 100% comfortable about surviving attacks.

I'm kind of curious about that, as Magic improves every spell, while the skills only improve their own spell trees. Certainly comparing a point of Mysticism to a point of Fire Magic would be an interesting situation. There is also the fact that if your hit point pool isn't deep enough to survive two attacks if it's worth the points required to do so, as regardless of if your character is on 10 hp or -10 hp, the next strike will be fatal so they require healing anyway (although the 10 hp one can quaff or cast a last ditch spell I guess). Not to mention that all Magic, all the time is a bad idea below 150 mana as I demonstrated in my earlier posts.

e2: Of course, this is further complicated by chain potting, although not as much as you would think based on my prelim numbers (due to lost turns from having to drink). If I have time I'll run something a little more concrete.

shalcar fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 28, 2014

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

I'm getting stuck into this game at the moment- I'm not sure quite why I've sunk 14 hours since friday, but it just scratches an itch that I didn't know was there.

Having some problems though- is it just me, or is the game locked to a maximum resolution of 1280*960 (or whatever) non-widescreen? Also it seems that the sound will crap out- my party hasn't spoken a word, I'll often lose sound effects mid battle and so on. Is there any solution to this or is it just the price of entry?

I'm about level 18 on a FM/HU/RA/RP party and finding it really weird. I just finished act 3, and the number of times I'm running into monsters that will one-shot my mage is getting really loving annoying. Am I under-levelled to do level 4 of the Lost City or something?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Camrath posted:

Having some problems though- is it just me, or is the game locked to a maximum resolution of 1280*960 (or whatever) non-widescreen? Also it seems that the sound will crap out- my party hasn't spoken a word, I'll often lose sound effects mid battle and so on. Is there any solution to this or is it just the price of entry?

I have had this happen to me, a save and reload often fixes it, once I had to exit and reload the game. It's a pain, but it's manageable.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Does anyone have coordinates for the treasure at the end of the Secret of the Obelisks questline? I've found all the obelisks I think but the clues are getting me nowhere

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
If I learned anything from my 8 hours straight playing this today, it's that I shouldn't have put all of my healing and buff spells on one guy. Don't make the same mistake I did. My freemage basically just sits there spamming the shield and never gets to cast a damage spell. I'm gonna start pumping my rangers spirit up so that he can spam restoration and my freemage could maybe throw in a firebolt sometimes.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mr Scumbag posted:

I tried using swords on one of the runs. Same result.

I just remade the party and pumped all my starting stats into perception taking it from base 6 to 11. I still miss most of the time. Either I'm having some weird issue or people are really overstating how good Blade dancers are.

I've decided to give up on BD. JUst doesn't work at all for me for whatever reason. What would be a suitable guy for physical DPS?

I can't speak for what is happening in your game, but my bladedancer had a lovely hitrate on the spider queen too, at least on Warrior. Blade Dancer and melee in general take a while to get good. Casters are going to do your heavy lifting early on - just funnel mana potions into them. Nukes don't miss, they only resist, so as long as you have the mana to cast your spells you can consistently whittle down the Spider Queen.

Having said that, if you really are having hitrate issues this bad I would recommend reinstalling the game or at least verifying the integrity in steam, because if you're having issues on the first boss of the game things are only going to go downhill from there.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Mirthless posted:

I can't speak for what is happening in your game, but my bladedancer had a lovely hitrate on the spider queen too, at least on Warrior. Blade Dancer and melee in general take a while to get good. Casters are going to do your heavy lifting early on - just funnel mana potions into them. Nukes don't miss, they only resist, so as long as you have the mana to cast your spells you can consistently whittle down the Spider Queen.

Having said that, if you really are having hitrate issues this bad I would recommend reinstalling the game or at least verifying the integrity in steam, because if you're having issues on the first boss of the game things are only going to go downhill from there.

Strangely enough, I started from scratch (yet again) but instead of recreating the same party as I did the last couple of times, I changed it up but decided to give the Blade dancer one more go.

He's been hitting much better. I kitted him out the exact same as before but for some reason it's different now. No idea if somehow the other party members influence each other (I really doubt it) but creating a different party seems to have snapped my game out of it. Like I said, something weird was going on.

Also, gently caress that Naga king. Took four tries to beat him all with the same strategy every time. Got totally hosed really early the first three times but the last time, kicked the poo poo out of him. Hate to harp on the RNG again, but the game generally feels really inconsistent where I would expect others to be a little more reliable. Generally, (I believe, anyway) a strategy that wins a battle should win that battle most of the time but outcomes can vary so wildly in this it's hard to tell if you're doing something wrong or are just getting a raw deal. I can see that creating problems down the line with builds. I'm gonna end up savescumming a bit, I think, just to double check that my builds/strategies are working and aren't just getting lucky, or are working but I get a good bunch of lovely rolls in a specific boss fight.

Honestly, I think the game is good in spite of itself. What they have as a base seems really promising, but I think I'm more interested in what modders are going to come up with than the core game. It's early though, so maybe things will smooth out after a while.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 28, 2014

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

m-o-o-n posted:

Does anyone have coordinates for the treasure at the end of the Secret of the Obelisks questline? I've found all the obelisks I think but the clues are getting me nowhere

If the last clue you got ended with 'your last step' you have one more clue to go, last clue will end with 'look under the rock to your left'. If you have that, just spin around and mash spacebar until you get that relic 1h sword.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mr Scumbag posted:

Strangely enough, I started from scratch (yet again) but instead of recreating the same party as I did the last couple of times, I changed it up but decided to give the Blade dancer one more go.

He's been hitting much better. I kitted him out the exact same as before but for some reason it's different now. No idea if somehow the other party members influence each other (I really doubt it) but creating a different party seems to have snapped my game out of it. Like I said, something weird was going on.

Also, gently caress that Naga king. Took four tries to beat him all with the same strategy every time. Got totally hosed really early the first three times but the last time, kicked the poo poo out of him. Hate to harp on the RNG again, but the game generally feels really inconsistent where I would expect others to be a little more reliable. Generally, (I believe, anyway) a strategy that wins a battle should win that battle most of the time but outcomes can vary so wildly in this it's hard to tell if you're doing something wrong or are just getting a raw deal. I can see that creating problems down the line with builds. I'm gonna end up savescumming a bit, I think, just to double check that my builds/strategies are working and aren't just getting lucky, or are working but I get a good bunch of lovely rolls in a specific boss fight.

Honestly, I think the game is good in spite of itself. What they have as a base seems really promising, but I think I'm more interested in what modders are going to come up with than the core game. It's early though, so maybe things will smooth out after a while.

What order did you do the Lighthouse in? Was it the first dungeon you did after the Spider Lair, or did you do the bandit lair first? I found it was a lot easier to kill the bandits than it was to kill the Naga. Much like with the Xeen games, if you are ahead of the XP/Gear curve stuff is generally pretty doable, but if you are even slightly behind it it tends to be an excercise in RNG fuckery and treadmilling, or completely insurmountable altogether. If you're eating poo poo, wander around until you gain a level or two or can afford to buy another spell or get to another skill tier and come back.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
E: Whoops I am a page behind

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Unoriginal One posted:

If the last clue you got ended with 'your last step' you have one more clue to go, last clue will end with 'look under the rock to your left'. If you have that, just spin around and mash spacebar until you get that relic 1h sword.

Yeah I have all the clues. Is it supposed to be on the island next to castle Portmeyron because I swear to god I've been through every single square there three times mashing spacebar and still can't find the loving thing?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I pretty much killed the naga king my first attempt after figuring out the gimmick(s). Didn't really feel that inconsistent. Without me gifting him a bunch of free damage he couldn't break celestial shield even on my ranger/freemage who at the time had 0 points in anything defensive.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Mirthless posted:

What order did you do the Lighthouse in? Was it the first dungeon you did after the Spider Lair, or did you do the bandit lair first? I found it was a lot easier to kill the bandits than it was to kill the Naga. Much like with the Xeen games, if you are ahead of the XP/Gear curve stuff is generally pretty doable, but if you are even slightly behind it it tends to be an excercise in RNG fuckery and treadmilling, or completely insurmountable altogether. If you're eating poo poo, wander around until you gain a level or two or can afford to buy another spell or get to another skill tier and come back.

I did the Lighthouse after killing a few things in the wild after the spider lair. I was lvl5 by the time I got to the top and the boss. I didn't really have any problems until the boss, and once I had my good run he was easy. Knowing I should have done the bandits first kind of changes my perspective though, I'll keep that in mind for my next playthrough. Which, given my need to have a party I'm perfectly comfortable with, begins right now.

I was running with a Blade Dancer, Runepriest, (specced for tank/fire) a Freemage (specced for utility with light/dark/identify/etc) and a Druid (specced for healing and water). All attributes for the latter three classes I spent on buffing mana and still found that I ran out more than I'm comfortable. I really don't enjoy spamming potions in battle. I found my utility mage while incredibly useful had a lot of turns where there was nothing for him to do, and I generally don't like having three mana dependent classes fort the reasons stated above so I'm gonna reroll. I feel like I'm close to finding a party I want to keep so I figure I'll ask for some advice here:

I want to keep my Blade Dancer specced to daggers. One I got his dagger skill up he did some really reliable melee damage and had decent survivability as well. Since I want to manage mana as little as possible, I'd like another physical striker but I'm not interested in ranged. Since my Blade Dancer will, from what I hear, have trouble with heavy armoured enemies, I'd like my second melee guy to be good at taking them down. I remember hearing about Orcs with spears being good at that? I'd like this guy to be my tank, too. I definitely need a healer, and from what I've seen Druids seems to be the best for that but I'm open to suggestions. I've heard good things about shamans as well. Last of all is a nuker which I'm fairly sure should be a freemage which I'll also add dark and light onto, for utility. Basically, I'm looking for a party that will handle mana as well as possible, so I guess that's another point in favour of shaman.

To add yet another question, I'd also like an idea of how best to handle mana in the early game. Is it really better to chug potions, or should I invest heavily into spirit and the skill that adds % to your mana? All I can say is that I pumped everything into spirit for my casters up to lvl 5 last time and I still felt like I was running out way too much. The only time I ever needed to rest was to restore mana, and never for health.

Sorry for all the questions, but MMX feels a little different to other RPG in subtle ways and what I would normally do in other games doesn't seem to work as well as it feels it should in this.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Seems like the recommendation is pumping +mana early on when +% damage won't affect as much, and I tend to agree with that since being able to cast a protective spell a bunch more often seems more valuable than hitting for 1-10pts more with an offensive spell.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
That's a lot to cover and I don't have time right now, but as far as heavily armoured enemies go, you face two types, lots of armour and lots of block. Two handed GM lets you ignore blocking and only Barbarian gets that. Spears partially bypass armour and both Hunter and Barbarian can GM those. Joining the dots, you can see a Barbarian will bypass block with Two handed GM and partially bypass armour if he uses spears. Barbarians are built to murder high armour targets and have a lot of HP. Hunter, Shaman, Scout and Mercenary all get to Master Spear though, which is where I think you get the 50% armour ignore (GM is 3% more damage per point, right? Someone correct me on this, I don't have the game open to check).

Druids, Rune Priests and Freemages all work as healers if they have their points spent that way, or they can work as damage dealers. Pick the two you like best and stick with them (Druids class upgrade is best for healing, while Free Mages class upgrade is combat utility and Rune Priests upgrade is damage). Cross pollinate their skills a little, it might even be worth having a point in Earth magic for the Blade Dancer just so that he can throw an emergency Regeneration (Using the mana he gets from Warfare, of course).

Early game stacking mana is your best option, but you will find yourself running dry pretty quickly until about level 10 or so, especially if you lean on your casters. You get the best bang for your buck going to 150 mana as soon as possible, but potion use is going to be pretty consistent until your party gets up to speed, especially if you are trying to punch above your weight. Having said that, the extra mana will help your food stores go further and it's much cheaper to replace food than pots! A few levels in Mysticism can really help, but don't neglect your other skills! You can turn mana into health, but not vice versa, so you will always be resting for mana, since if you have mana but not health, you would just heal up and continue on. Don't be afraid to heal with plentiful lesser healing pots to save mana, you don't really need more than 15 or so of them in the worst case scenario!

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Mr Scumbag posted:

I did the Lighthouse after killing a few things in the wild after the spider lair. I was lvl5 by the time I got to the top and the boss. I didn't really have any problems until the boss, and once I had my good run he was easy. Knowing I should have done the bandits first kind of changes my perspective though, I'll keep that in mind for my next playthrough. Which, given my need to have a party I'm perfectly comfortable with, begins right now.

The thing to realize is everyone is still filling their own niche at that point. Nobody is hitting anything, evasion tanks can't evade, crusaders can't heal, dagger bladedancers hit twice instead of 384034803 times, etc. I would be a bit less quick to dismiss your parties as poo poo so soon. Having said that, spider queen wrecks 95/100 groups, because you don't have jackall to deal with her yet. It's why they give you Maximus so you have free blocks, because that battle is ALWAYS potion chugging while the other 3 wail haplessly.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I want to keep my Blade Dancer specced to daggers. One I got his dagger skill up he did some really reliable melee damage and had decent survivability as well. Since I want to manage mana as little as possible, I'd like another physical striker but I'm not interested in ranged. Since my Blade Dancer will, from what I hear, have trouble with heavy armoured enemies, I'd like my second melee guy to be good at taking them down. I remember hearing about Orcs with spears being good at that? I'd like this guy to be my tank, too.

Both barbarians and hunters use spears to GM, which ignore 50% of armor at master. That, stacked with shatter armor from warfare or the acid splash earth spell should do well. I have a hunter/bladedancer combo right now and they fluctuate on who does the most damage, pretty much aligned with the armor of who they are hitting. As far as who is better hitting things, barbarians can get 2h GM which negates blocks, while hunters get their promotion abilities.

Mr Scumbag posted:

To add yet another question, I'd also like an idea of how best to handle mana in the early game. Is it really better to chug potions, or should I invest heavily into spirit and the skill that adds % to your mana? All I can say is that I pumped everything into spirit for my casters up to lvl 5 last time and I still felt like I was running out way too much. The only time I ever needed to rest was to restore mana, and never for health.

On my second playthrough, I went vit 1/spirit 3 on my two casters, and it was definitely the right call. Magic really doesn't make that big of a difference early. 2% of 20 is a fat stack of jackall. I switched to magic 2/vit 1/spirit 1 when I got above 150. I wouldn't just switch to magic when you hit 150 like the math says, because you'll be drinking pots every 3 turns when you start casting high mana spells, which is just plain annoying.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

shalcar posted:

That's a lot to cover and I don't have time right now, but as far as heavily armoured enemies go, you face two types, lots of armour and lots of block. Two handed GM lets you ignore blocking and only Barbarian gets that. Spears partially bypass armour and both Hunter and Barbarian can GM those. Joining the dots, you can see a Barbarian will bypass block with Two handed GM and partially bypass armour if he uses spears. Barbarians are built to murder high armour targets and have a lot of HP. Hunter, Shaman, Scout and Mercenary all get to Master Spear though, which is where I think you get the 50% armour ignore (GM is 3% more damage per point, right? Someone correct me on this, I don't have the game open to check).

Druids, Rune Priests and Freemages all work as healers if they have their points spent that way, or they can work as damage dealers. Pick the two you like best and stick with them (Druids class upgrade is best for healing, while Free Mages class upgrade is combat utility and Rune Priests upgrade is damage). Cross pollinate their skills a little, it might even be worth having a point in Earth magic for the Blade Dancer just so that he can throw an emergency Regeneration (Using the mana he gets from Warfare, of course).

Early game stacking mana is your best option, but you will find yourself running dry pretty quickly until about level 10 or so, especially if you lean on your casters. You get the best bang for your buck going to 150 mana as soon as possible, but potion use is going to be pretty consistent until your party gets up to speed, especially if you are trying to punch above your weight. Having said that, the extra mana will help your food stores go further and it's much cheaper to replace food than pots! A few levels in Mysticism can really help, but don't neglect your other skills! You can turn mana into health, but not vice versa, so you will always be resting for mana, since if you have mana but not health, you would just heal up and continue on. Don't be afraid to heal with plentiful lesser healing pots to save mana, you don't really need more than 15 or so of them in the worst case scenario!

That's all really helpful, thanks!

Particularly the suggestion of giving my BD a heal. I've noticed in certain situations I have no choice but to let him defend while I wait for an opportunity for him to attack. Might not hurt to give him a couple of debuff spells as well, for those occasions.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I just reached Act 2 with an all caster party: Primordial/Air Freemage, Water/Earth Druid, Fire/Magical Focus Rune Priest, Light/Magical Focus Rune Priest.

So far I've been able to avoid using any mana potions. The key, I've found, is to get the 9 days of supplies from the caravan outside of town. Supplies refill your entire party's reserves for the price of a single potion.

I tried blademaster in an earlier play-through too (along with other melee), but gave up when he missed every attack. Yes, I know how blocks work. No, I can't pump points into Swords when I've not gained any levels. Putting all of my initial points into perception didn't help.

Four wizards completely destroy the Spider Queen. They also need lots of naps.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

KPC_Mammon posted:

I just reached Act 2 with an all caster party: Primordial/Air Freemage, Water/Earth Druid, Fire/Magical Focus Rune Priest, Light/Magical Focus Rune Priest.

So far I've been able to avoid using any mana potions. The key, I've found, is to get the 9 days of supplies from the caravan outside of town. Supplies refill your entire party's reserves for the price of a single potion.

I tried blademaster in an earlier play-through too (along with other melee), but gave up when he missed every attack. Yes, I know how blocks work. No, I can't pump points into Swords when I've not gained any levels. Putting all of my initial points into perception didn't help.

Four wizards completely destroy the Spider Queen. They also need lots of naps.

I have a similar thing (although I have a shaman instead of 2 rune priests) going on much farther into the game (just hit the end of act 3). It continues to work well, but is kind of fragile.

My biggest problem with the party is that I can't really use most of the equipment I find, which makes much of the loot underwhelming. I'm probably going to play again with guys that can actually use weapons and armor after I am done. There is also a rough patch in Act 2 where I couldn't get to trainers to advance some schools of magic and my damage was pretty bad, but it gets a lot better.

Make sure you get dark magic up to expert on your freemage for sleep and purge. Those are incredibly helpful. If I had 2 Rune Priests I'd definitely max fire on both of them as I have found fire damage to be the best in the game. You will end up with enough skill points to max out at least 3 skills so you shouldn't have to change things at all.

You'll also start needing a lot more mana potions as you go along. Even though you can eventually get 20 supplies at a time the fights just last too long not to have to chug them. Luckily you find a lot as you go along.

There are a few enemies that are resistant to drat near everything which are real annoying for an all caster party. You'll thank me for telling you to get purge since some of them cast regen and I don't know that they are beatable with all spellcasters without it.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Alright, I seem to be lost right now. I am supposed to be going to the Tomb of a Thousand Terrors, but it seems like it requires the Air Shard to get there, which I am missing. Where do I find it?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The air shard is in skull rock, past the part which requires water blessing.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Filthy Monkey posted:

The air shard is in skull rock, past the part which requires water blessing.

No clue how I missed it, since I looted the chest sitting right next to it, but I did. Thanks.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
drat I really hosed up by making my barbarian maces, that 50% armor penetration in spears seems so much better than the stun chance. I just went with the default :(

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Currently level 27, and my blademaster is easily my best damage dealer. Definitely beats my spear maurader (using a relic spear) and my defender. I think the fact that there are two reasonably acquirable relic swords helps, plus the smuggler's jacket. She is Grandmaster sword, Grandmaster duel wield, Grandmaster Dodge, and Expert endurance. Even against elites, she chops off about half of their health in a strike. The combination of starsilver blade and dragon tongue means you get a shower of numbers every time you hit. Against anything high armor that actually matters, I just have my druid hit them with an acid splash first.

Not even sure where the points should go now. More health? Magic defense?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Slightly off-topic, but gog.com has Might and Magic 1-6 on sale right now (for the next hour) for ridiculously cheap if you want to relive the classic games.

I am closing in on the end of M&M X and it's really rekindled the desire to replay the old games. I've actually never played M&M 1-3, and I want to try at least the 3rd one. Hopefully I can deal with the old school UI after the more user friendly style of the new game.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Substandard posted:

Slightly off-topic, but gog.com has Might and Magic 1-6 on sale right now (for the next hour) for ridiculously cheap if you want to relive the classic games.

I am closing in on the end of M&M X and it's really rekindled the desire to replay the old games. I've actually never played M&M 1-3, and I want to try at least the 3rd one. Hopefully I can deal with the old school UI after the more user friendly style of the new game.
Thanks for the heads-up! I definitely want to jump in to the older titles now.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

Gyoru posted:

You have to find/chase [the Dodge Grandmaster trainer] 2 times before she shows up in the jungle.

Thanks! I did run into her once near Karthal, but I hadn't remembered her name.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Filthy Monkey posted:

Not even sure where the points should go now. More health? Magic defense?
Warfare, Arcane Discipline and Endurance are all decentish choices. I'd probably go Warfare myself because it's just delicious, but if you need survivability Arcane Discipline is probably the right way to go.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Arkeus posted:

Warfare, Arcane Discipline and Endurance are all decentish choices. I'd probably go Warfare myself because it's just delicious, but if you need survivability Arcane Discipline is probably the right way to go.

Are there more warfare spells later on other than the armor debuff and taunt?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Aw crap, I made a new party and ditched my awful ranger, but now ive got nobody that can open up mechanical traps and doors. I guess ill pump some Perception on my berserker? Perception will open those, right, or do I need Destiny?

BillyBlanks
Oct 5, 2000

Mirthless posted:

Did you kill Luke when you did the bandit cave? He just one shots the hell out of my party.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
^^ Luke's gimmick is his Vindictive special that will show up on normal enemies later. For every attack he dodges or blocks he gets an extra attack that round. If you're not confident in your durability, simply have your physical damage dealers sit on their hands while your casters blow him up with undodgeable/unblockable spells and his damage output should be more than manageable.

ShadowHawk posted:

The upside to giving up on melee damage is that you can ignore might and focus more on your caster stats. A crusader built this way could go full Light/Air magic for bosses, for instance. And have a reasonable mana pool.

I had absolutely no problems making my Crusader both a competent caster AND physical fighter, albeit not as good at physicals as a pure fighter and not as good at magic as a pure caster. You're not so strapped for points that you necessarily need to give up one or the other. Light magic spells have huge numbers on them so even with 20-30 less magic than a pure mage he will easily top people off with one single target heal. As for making him a combat air mage, the lack of grandmastery will sink him pretty hard in the end because for offensive magic you really do need that extra bump in the later acts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've run into an annoying bug. My BAR has his End skill high enough to train up. The trainer says he is not ready. I am hoping to find another trainer to see if it's just broken. I am also not putting points into END for anyone else because of this.

E: Why is spider queen so hard? I killed her on my first try and didn't think twice about it.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 28, 2014

• Locked thread