Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

xgalaxy posted:

The same could be said for Nikon: D3200 vs D5200 vs D7100. Or Canon.
Why buy a D3200 when I could get a D7100 for only a couple hundred bucks more.

Fair enough, that didn't occur to me. Honestly, I do ask myself the same questions now when it comes to Canikon; no idea why anyone would buy the 3200 when the 7100 is only a couple bucks away. Eh, people are weird I guess.

Bring on a FF X200 :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Just preordered and getting the battery grip for free thanks to a promo

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

keyframe posted:

Just preordered and getting the battery grip for free thanks to a promo

What promo is that? I WANT IT.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Wengy posted:

Fair enough, that didn't occur to me. Honestly, I do ask myself the same questions now when it comes to Canikon; no idea why anyone would buy the 3200 when the 7100 is only a couple bucks away. Eh, people are weird I guess.

Because "a couple bucks" to you might be a months groceries or a student loan payment to others. Different people have different amounts of disposable income!

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Fart Car '97 posted:

I just pre-ordered it :getin:. Current plan is to sell the X-Pro 1 and go X100s/XT-1.

Probably gonna wait til the xpro-2. The combo EVF-OVF is just too nice to give up.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Fart Car '97 posted:

What promo is that? I WANT IT.

Local camera shop in Vancouver called Leo's.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Because "a couple bucks" to you might be a months groceries or a student loan payment to others. Different people have different amounts of disposable income!

True, that was dumb of me, I apologize.

To distract from the Fuji-wankfest: The Olympus 60mm f2.8 Macro is seriously sweet, just unpacked and used it for the first time. This thing is coming along on every hike and vacation from now on, so awesome. It's still 200 bucks off at Amazon, so any M4/3rds shooters who want a dedicated Macro lens should check it out :)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wengy posted:

True, that was dumb of me, I apologize.

To distract from the Fuji-wankfest: The Olympus 60mm f2.8 Macro is seriously sweet, just unpacked and used it for the first time. This thing is coming along on every hike and vacation from now on, so awesome. It's still 200 bucks off at Amazon, so any M4/3rds shooters who want a dedicated Macro lens should check it out :)

60mm bros :cool::respek::cool:

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

You know who else makes a pretty sweet 60mm macro? Fuji.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
I hear that Olys service is good when you drop the 60mm.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

DJExile posted:

60mm bros :cool::respek::cool:

Me three!

Bob Socko posted:

Not 1:1 from what I've read :colbert:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Musket posted:

I hear that Olys service is good when you drop the 60mm.

:swoon:

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Bob Socko posted:

Wouldn't want to get caught in the rain with that :smug:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
My Fuji gets 2:1 when you use a good Micro lens. Hate the playa, not the game. :snoop:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The X-T1 and 56 combo is a thing of beauty. But that flash unit just looks ridiculous (and you can't even twist it to bounce off the ceiling).

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
My daughter's (1 day old) thoughts on Olympus 60mm haters, shot with Olympus 60mm

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

The X-T1 and 56 combo is a thing of beauty. But that flash unit just looks ridiculous (and you can't even twist it to bounce off the ceiling).

Really though with acceptable noise at ISO 6400 how many times are you going to be using it. Now if you want to see ridiculous you should see my XPro1 with a Canon 580 EXII speedlight.

I've had my XPro1 for about 18 months now, couldn't be happier with it and while I like the specs of the XT1 I won't be upgrading, I do.like the prospect of an Xpro2 for the end of the year though if this is midway between the XE2 and the XPro1.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I use my X-E1's flash all the time. Just hold it with your finger to bounce it off the ceiling. Much easier than carrying something dedicated around, and still necessary when shooting @ f1.4.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Any of you nerds use one of these thumb rests on your X-E1 or X-E2? The price is right and I don't really want to spend more on a thumb thing unless this is literal garbage.

I tried a Sony RX1 thumb rest on my X-E1 at the store today and it felt FANTASTIC, but it was TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY earth dollars. I almost laughed out loud.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I bought the genuine Thumbs Up one for my X-E1 which was ridiculously priced, but it does feel really nice... :(

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Martytoof posted:

Any of you nerds use one of these thumb rests on your X-E1 or X-E2? The price is right and I don't really want to spend more on a thumb thing unless this is literal garbage.

I tried a Sony RX1 thumb rest on my X-E1 at the store today and it felt FANTASTIC, but it was TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY earth dollars. I almost laughed out loud.

I bought two plastic thumb grips for my x100s for $8 on ebay, suits my needs. I don't think an expensive one is going to be crazy better than the cheapest one you can find.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pieces-Th...=item2331d3d571

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I use one on the X-Pro, it's not that great because it forces you to bend your hand in an odd way to keep it gripped. I'm not convinced it's worth it.

The grip whatever linked it probably a lot better.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Urgh, just got a price on the X-T1 body from an Aussie B&M (Camera House). $1799.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

That's the exact one I bought actually.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I bought a 25$ thumbgrip for my xe1 and it works great. I am not sure how Sony can justify selling a $250 thumb grip but hey.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

keyframe posted:

I bought a 25$ thumbgrip for my xe1 and it works great. I am not sure how Sony can justify selling a $250 thumb grip but hey.

The same way they justify their lens lineup. By giving no fucks.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

dpreview posted:

Fujifilm's X-system cameras have always offered the the option to disconnect autofocus from the shutter button, by switching the camera to MF mode then using the AF-L button for autofocus. But a long-standing irritation has been that they haven't offered any visual confirmation of focus in this mode. This has finally appeared on the X-T1, with the focus confirm dot lighting up green when correct focus is achieved.It's a small improvement, but welcome nonetheless.

Finally, sheesh. Now update my x100's firmware to do the same, tia

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

keyframe posted:

By putting a blue square on it.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

bobfather posted:

The same way they justify their lens lineup. By giving no fucks.

Are you saying you are not excited for another Sony f4.6-6 zoom lens for the nex mount? :o

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Here Mr Despair, this one's for you: http://pliki.optyczne.pl/nx30_2/SAM_4458.JPG

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I have that, quality. Dont lose the hex key or at least know where a replacement is. Dont overtighten.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

The X100s sold me on Fuji's gameplan and I'm really looking forward to watching how the X-T1 works out in the hands of the general public over the next year or so. Moving away from DSLRs is attractive but two questions:

The 1/180s sync speed is kinda disappointing. I'm not expecting sync speeds like a leaf shutter but I'd also like to not go backwards. Is there a technical reason for this (something about mirrorless maybe?) or what?

Also, I have a backpack of nice glass that I'd be trying to replace if I move to a new system. I especially lean on my long L lenses quite a bit. What are the chances of Fuji coming out with a fast (f/2ish) telephoto of the 70-200 variety? I'm seeing a 50-140 f/2.8 that's moving in the right direction, if a bit short.

For that matter, opinions on Sigma getting in on Fuji's X game?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Rot posted:

The X100s sold me on Fuji's gameplan and I'm really looking forward to watching how the X-T1 works out in the hands of the general public over the next year or so. Moving away from DSLRs is attractive but two questions:

The 1/180s sync speed is kinda disappointing. I'm not expecting sync speeds like a leaf shutter but I'd also like to not go backwards. Is there a technical reason for this (something about mirrorless maybe?) or what?

Also, I have a backpack of nice glass that I'd be trying to replace if I move to a new system. I especially lean on my long L lenses quite a bit. What are the chances of Fuji coming out with a fast (f/2ish) telephoto of the 70-200 variety? I'm seeing a 50-140 f/2.8 that's moving in the right direction, if a bit short.

50-140 on the fuji sensor is 70-200 equivalent in full frame. It is going to be weather proof too so it should be one sweet lens on the x-t1. I hate zoom lenses in general but I am tempted to get that one when it's out especially since Fuji doesn't have a 135mm equivalent prime in the works. :(

--

In other news Olympus EM10 is announced officially :siren:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/01/28/the-om-d-e-m10-and-25-1-8-lens-new-olympus-firecrackers-pre-order/

New 3 Axis IS

8 FPS shooting

Built in WiFi and Flash (first time for flash)

$699 body 0nly

$799 body and kit 14-42 II kit

keyframe fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 29, 2014

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Rot posted:

Olympus have managed to squeeze 1/320s flash sync speed on their latest (OM-E1) so it's somewhere Fuji ought to be able to raise their game. It's a frequent enough complaint that Fuji must be aware people want it, only they koow why they've stuck with 1/180.

As for Sigma, it's a question of market penetration. For all the Fuji lovefest, their sales figures haven't been brilliant. If they can start to shift cameras in great numbers, then there's no reason Sigma won't join in as they have now done for m4/3rds.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

To be fair, Sigma don't really seem dedicated to M4/3rds either; the three primes are supposedly all very good (I only have the 30mm f2.8 and it's really great), but AFAIK they're basically designs that were originally done for the NEX mount. Hence the rather large size of these primes - they cover an APS-C image circle. Sigma haven't really developed lenses specifically for M4/3rds yet.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The lineups for Fuji and m43 are actually decent. And people don't exactly buy Fuji because it's cheap.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Would a used XE-1 be a decent cheapish body to use my old FD lenses on? A NEX with focus peaking has been recommended to me, but considering the shaky future of that system and with all the hype Fuji gets, I'm wondering if maybe an XE-1 would be a better (and prettier) choice.

widunder fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 29, 2014

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I think the m4/3 userbase will need to grow quite a bit before the third party lens manufacturers make dedicated lenses for them. Their business has been based around being able to recover the engineering investment across multiple camera system. However a m4/3 lens can only be sold to m4/3 users, you can't repurpose it to anyone else except maybe as a Nikon 1 mount. I reckon the Samyang 7.5mm is about the only m4/3-only lenses that isn't from a m4/3 body manufacturer.

Fuji being ASP-C means it makes more sense for them than m4/3rds, as their re-mounted lenses aren't going to be giving away a size advantage to OEM-brand lenses. It really is just a question of a large enough market share to justify the cost of mount specific re-engineering of the autofocus and other electronics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sigma has the m43 primes we talked about a couple of posts back. The open mount spec means that if you can't get a particular lens, chances are another first party makes it, so there's less niches for sigma to fill.