Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dick Trauma posted:

The PCs are all current and boot up quickly. The staff are showing up late (or returning late from breaks) and blaming the late clock in on the PC. So I guess they'll get what they want: a very strict timekeeper. I used to work at a call center so I hate digital sweatshops. No one should care about minor variances in clock in times.

That said something else is pissing me off: supporting this ancient legacy system piece of poo poo:

I've dug through the batch files and found references to using Sidekick if you don't have enough memory for the program. :shobon:

I'm honestly amazed that fucker is y2k compliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
We managed to get a project manager moved to 'a more important project' at our place for basically being useless.

We now have a project manager who speaks more slowly than paint drying. I sort of think the grass isn't greener in the other side. The last call we had with him had 5 minutes of him explaining why a clock chiming in the background was a wedding gift or something... Get on with it!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

Because the new system was customized using the requirements we came up with together and you signed, this IS your signature right? Here on the list of requirements and mockup images?

If someone wants to blame me for other departments not using a piece of software, I would ask them what complaints they've had about the program, and I'll refer to the lack of support tickets about the alleged problems. If problems DO exist, I'll suggest a meeting with the people having problems so we can iron them out, provided the company wants to dedicate my time to fixing them. If the problem is something trivial that an office drone is being obstinate about, management is going to have to decide whether it's worth X hours of my salary to fix it, or if that drone needs to sack up and deal with it. Maintenance of internal software is absolutely my concern in a job like that, it's just that my self-worth is not defined by whether or not a project is a success.

If there are no problems and people are just being stubborn about using the new program, and somebody is trying to blame me, I'll affect delighted surprise that I was also the director of other departments all this time and didn't know it, and let's talk about re-negotiating my salary if that's the case, please!

Exactly this. CYA first, then you can drink to happiness; instead of anger later.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ratbert90 posted:

Exactly this. CYA first, then you can drink to happiness; instead of anger later.

This was actually one of the few good things my otherwise psychopath of a boss was responsible for.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Agrikk posted:

But then we get to move to CRISIS MODE...

I take it you missed the joke in that post completely?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

nitrogen posted:

No man, I'm serious.

Customer just askd her (and us) during a call. "When is X going to get done?"

Her response?

"I don't know, when are you going to sign the contract? As soon as you sign the contract, it'll be 21 business days from that point."

This woman says "scope creep" more often than Jay from Clerks says 'gently caress'. This is awesome.

I inherited a project several years ago where my predecessor had delivery dates in the contract. The customer signed the contract several months later than originally planned. The obvious occurred.

And that's why every contract I write specifies duration in weeks.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

No man, I'm serious.

Her response?

"I don't know, when are you going to sign the contract? As soon as you sign the contract, it'll be 21 business days from that point."

This woman says "scope creep" more often than Jay from Clerks says 'gently caress'. This is awesome.

This kind of reminds me of my current situation. I'm working on a project with a large client, and I'm currently the third person from my company tasked with doing the work related to a specific tool for this project. I've basically been brought in to try to turn the ship around, but no matter how hard I'm pushing on the wheel it seems like there's someone else pulling it almost as hard in the opposite direction. They've all but said if we miss a deadline then we'll be shown the door. This is all but inevitable at this point--the fucker's dead, we just haven't stopped billing hours to it yet.

The damnedest thing is that out of the blue I get a lead on a job with another company doing the same poo poo I do now. They're a super tiny shop currently, but tbqh the size of my current employer has become a major turnoff lately. My own smaller shop got bought out by MegaCorp about six months ago, and it seems like the screws of BS corporate policies get just a shade tighter every week. I had a phone interview today that I think went really well, and if the numbers work out right (and I'm actually offered a job) I'd definitely be inclined to take it. My quandary though is that if this client doesn't tell us to gently caress off first, my departure will probably prompt them to do so. The toolset I use has a really small community, and I definitely do not want to burn any bridges on my way out.

I really am not sure how to deal with this. I know the conventional wisdom is to look out for #1 at all times, but I care a lot about my reputation with my colleagues as well and don't want to gently caress it up.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Is it possible to download Photoshop without using the fuckhole that is Adobe Creative Cloud Downloader thing? I just want the install files so I dont have to download it 10 times.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Swink posted:

Is it possible to download Photoshop without using the fuckhole that is Adobe Creative Cloud Downloader thing? I just want the install files so I dont have to download it 10 times.

I think there is a package manager that you can use to build an installer.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

stubblyhead posted:

I really am not sure how to deal with this. I know the conventional wisdom is to look out for #1 at all times, but I care a lot about my reputation with my colleagues as well and don't want to gently caress it up.

The reason that conventional wisdom is to look out for #1 is that if you put everyone else first, you will never get anywhere yourself. ANYWHERE. There will always be a reason to stick around in a bad situation for the sake of your colleagues. Always. There's always more that you can do that will make everyone else's lives easier, there's always a reason to tough it out just a little bit longer.

For your specific situation: If you were brought in to turn the ship around and have been prevented from doing so, have you brought up this fact with your management? "This poo poo is not getting done because A, B, C. Is there anything we can do about this?" Is everyone at your company aware of these problems and just as confident as you are that there's no real hope for the project? Can any of this be proven with documentation?

If you can answer "yes" to most or all of that, you're probably not going to burn any bridges. You can be as gentle as you want about this. Give more than 2 weeks' notice if you can wrangle that much time out of your new company, maybe try to aim for just after the next deadline.

If the situation is such that you are going to be out of a job when this project fails, and you are sure this project is going to fail, you owe it to yourself to jump on opportunities sooner rather than later. And frankly I don't believe that any colleague that would hold a grudge over you refusing to go down with the ship is a colleague worth having. If they're good colleagues then they won't begrudge you a better opportunity if you don't just run out the door with no notice and your middle fingers extended.

Obviously I don't know the finer details. You'll just have to weigh the pros and cons for yourself.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Yeah, I have to agree. If they've already told you that a doomed project is your only chance to stay aboard, they've made your decision for you. Give them > 2 weeks notice if you want to be gentle, but you're not long for that place anyway by their standards.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
You complain that you can't set a project up because there's no documentation.
I show you where the documentation is.
You then complain that your project isn't working.
The answer to your issue is on page one of the documentation.

Ffffffffffff.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Time to get stabby

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I don't think my continued employment is riding on this terrible project being successful. I'm well regarded by my team and management, and I've shown a lot of ability to get poo poo done where others have not. One guy who was attached to this project before me is still with the company, and the other is not, though I believe he left of his own volition. I think deep down everyone knows it's going belly up, but there's some heads buried in the sand about the whole thing. And the most frustrating thing about it is that the technical aspect of the project is loving dead simple, it's satisfying all their internal procedures that's killing us (combined with their piss poor communication skills). For example, they use Remedy for their ticketing, and I was having a bitch of a time creating change requests with the web services. I had all the required fields formatted correctly as near as I could tell, but I'd get an empty response tag from my request (still getting a 200 http status though :psyduck:). I send the XML I'm using to their dev to see if she can spot what I'm doing wrong. It takes like three weeks to get any reply whatsoever, and then I still have to compare what I was doing to the working XML she sent me back to find my mistake. I had put "CREATE" in the Action tag instead of "Create". Close to a month to work out what should have taken an hour tops with someone who knew what was up.

ColdStreamNL
Jul 24, 2013
Converting dozens of 'Crappy LabelProgram®' labels to 'Crappier LabelProgram 2 Pro®' format because the old label printer crashed and burned. Obviously there's no backwards compatibility and no way to automate this as the labels require a batch number and expiry date added when printed, so I've had to recreate all of them in the new format.

Bonus points for the original installation being on a Windows 2000 system without network and being located in a machine heavy environment.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I hate diagnosing connectivity issues remotely. I have a user who gets booted off the network (Win7) but rebooting fixes the problem. So I doubt it's a switch/cable whatever but I can't see what they're plugged into. Any suggestions?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

By booted off do they mean the link drops and the link status lights go out, or that they can't get to Google?

How often does it happen, does unplugging and re-plugging the network cable fix it, or does it have to be a reboot?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Caged posted:

By booted off do they mean the link drops and the link status lights go out, or that they can't get to Google?

How often does it happen, does unplugging and re-plugging the network cable fix it, or does it have to be a reboot?

Can't ping them. They reboot and it fixes it. Static IP

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I had that with my home desktop recently using an Atheros network card on Win7. Starting game updates on Steam would have a 50% chance of breaking my network adapter completely and only a reboot would fix it, even disabling and re-enabling it didn't work. I've updated my NIC driver since and the problem has stopped. It started out of the blue though so might be related to an MS patch or something.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Scikar posted:

I had that with my home desktop recently using an Atheros network card on Win7. Starting game updates on Steam would have a 50% chance of breaking my network adapter completely and only a reboot would fix it, even disabling and re-enabling it didn't work. I've updated my NIC driver since and the problem has stopped. It started out of the blue though so might be related to an MS patch or something.

Might be coincidental. It could be anything from a PWM dying in the card itself, or terrible drivers. Have you tried using a different port on the machine?

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

nitrogen posted:

No man, I'm serious.

Her response?

I had a project manager just like that.

He was shown the door for some unknown reason.

stubblyhead posted:

I don't think my continued employment is riding on this terrible project being successful. I'm well regarded by my team and management, and I've shown a lot of ability to get poo poo done where others have not. One guy who was attached to this project before me is still with the company, and the other is not, though I believe he left of his own volition. I think deep down everyone knows it's going belly up, but there's some heads buried in the sand about the whole thing. And the most frustrating thing about it is that the technical aspect of the project is loving dead simple, it's satisfying all their internal procedures that's killing us (combined with their piss poor communication skills). For example, they use Remedy for their ticketing, and I was having a bitch of a time creating change requests with the web services. I had all the required fields formatted correctly as near as I could tell, but I'd get an empty response tag from my request (still getting a 200 http status though :psyduck:). I send the XML I'm using to their dev to see if she can spot what I'm doing wrong. It takes like three weeks to get any reply whatsoever, and then I still have to compare what I was doing to the working XML she sent me back to find my mistake. I had put "CREATE" in the Action tag instead of "Create". Close to a month to work out what should have taken an hour tops with someone who knew what was up.

I'm currently integrating some third party donation platform into my employer's CMS system thingy.

Part of it was dealing with SOAP, so, as expected, total mindfuck.

99.9% of the system has some sort of quasi-consistency when it comes to naming conventions.

This quasi-consistent naming convention is all and well when 99% of the SOAP thing is written 'likethis', but the 1% of the thing I actually want to use, and was created especially for the project that I'm working on is in 'camelCase'.

It's bloody annoying when I send an e-mail to them saying 'welp an error!' but it turns out to be capitalisation issues.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Bob Morales posted:

Can't ping them. They reboot and it fixes it. Static IP

Anything in the event logs? (Can you remote in?) I was thinking IP conflict, but I don't know why a reboot would solve that problem.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

stubblyhead posted:

I don't think my continued employment is riding on this terrible project being successful. I'm well regarded by my team and management, and I've shown a lot of ability to get poo poo done where others have not. One guy who was attached to this project before me is still with the company, and the other is not, though I believe he left of his own volition. I think deep down everyone knows it's going belly up, but there's some heads buried in the sand about the whole thing. And the most frustrating thing about it is that the technical aspect of the project is loving dead simple, it's satisfying all their internal procedures that's killing us (combined with their piss poor communication skills).

Another question is, how long have you (personally) been working for this employer (not necessarily just this project)? If it's only been a couple months or something, it's not very polite to leave if you were brought in just to salvage this pile.

Another way to look at it is that problem clients are not your issue, they're your company's issue. If you've brought up the difficulties with your bosses and highlighted why poo poo isn't getting done, and they haven't done anything about it, it's on them. Somebody higher on the totem pole than you are needed to have a meeting with this client about this poo poo a long time ago. If your company HAS been trying to get them to straighten up and they've just failed to do so, again, this is not your problem. Sometimes you have to fire clients. Three weeks for simple correspondence is ridiculous, and tells me that the client doesn't really care about getting this project done.

It may sound selfish, but it's just practical. You can't be responsible for clients failing to communicate and their lovely policies. If you've made a reasonable good-faith effort to address these problems and still nothing has been done about them, then I don't think people are going to suddenly turn on you for wanting out of the situation.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

guppy posted:

Anything in the event logs? (Can you remote in?) I was thinking IP conflict, but I don't know why a reboot would solve that problem.

Nothing useful. Even changed her IP and it still happens

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Nothing useful. Even changed her IP and it still happens

Run rKill or combofix on it

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Maybe just try netsh int ip reset
Then reconfigure details for the connection. Or throw a cheap PCI/PCI-E NIC in there and see if it still does it.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I'm not even in a tech job but the company I work for keeps track of their projects in massive Excel spreadsheets.

And today, I was pasting images into Excel because my boss didn't like that we were transcribing text into the cells when taking a screenshot of the text and pasting the text into the cell is "more accurate."

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

TKovacs2 posted:

You didn't use caps there. It should have read THE GODDAMN WORST.

I didn't want to upgrade from 2010 to 2012, but noooooooo, our hardware vendor said that it would fix the problem we were having.

gently caress me.

Here's the latest BackupExec cock-up I found.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

frogbert posted:

I...

I clicked the close button on your screenshot

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

frogbert posted:

Holy lol

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

frogbert posted:

I hate non-resizable windows, but luckily, that control on the left with the snapshot list is not a fixed size!

So if you use a script to force the window to resize, that list scales perfectly and fills all available space.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 31, 2014

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

frogbert posted:

That's going to take a while to commit. :haw:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

poo poo that pisses me off - other terms implementing things in as fragile a way possible.

We generate a big load of XML files each night and use XML for the express reason that the content in parts of the feed can change wildly depending on what users have iunput or if they need new fields etc. This way, we only need one feed for everyone and don't have to make changes if new data is added to the system, plus, downstream users shouldn't care about changes because it's XML right? Wrong.

One team added such tight validation to their processing that if a certain node was empty, they crashed their loader, ignored the 99% of records that were "correct" and also crashed a load of other batches as well. They also did not tell us they'd done this.

One team complained about duplicate nodes which would have been bad, except the nodes were nested so that doesn't make sense, how were they accessing the XML data? Basically treating it as text and using a string search on the node names :wtc:.

Another group has somehow managed to write a parser that's sensitive to node order so when the content is 100% identical, they still managed to crash their processing. In fairness, this might be due to the language they've used needing to be explicitly told to relax the processing.

Two separate teams have also manged to ignore the X in XML and write their batches in such a way that adding a new node crashes them. I honestly have no idea how they've managed that.

And none of them ever listen when we tell them any of this when they start using the feed either so we only find out when some idiots critical process falls over because they implemented it badly and they blame us.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

That said something else is pissing me off: supporting this ancient legacy system piece of poo poo:
Is that an Alf wallpaper?

I'm still trying to get our POS websites working in Joomla and it's just a loving disaster from start to finish.
It needs to be "dynamic" (flash animated image rotation)
It will be for "mobile devices" (i can bet we have less than ten mobile visitors per year)
It has to look just like the old site (and this is where it gets funny, boss changes his mind from time to time so now it doesn't have to look 100% like the old one, and i've already spent hours fighting our old layout and Joomlas hosed up quirks).

The main horizontal menu never worked so boss made a custom php page for it, therefore it has hardcoded values for each article and because of that there's no loving way it will be able to support different languages (each article has id and each language is a new article).

That didn't stop him from asking me if i had finished installing all our four languages and made them work, i mean if i say "No there's only one language for all articles right now" it should NOT be followed by the question "so if i click here will it turn into danish?" because i just loving told you that there is no loving content for other languages.

It also will not matter how many articles i put up, the menus all point to the same article with the same language.

This whole ask me something and ignoring / not understand my reply is something that comes up pretty often lately, making me go loving nuts and i'm afraid i soon will reply with "motherfucker i just told you"..

There was an incident last year where they needed to grab old financial data from the as/400 system, i suggested looking through our ticket system because surely we had done this before and atleast written something useful in the comments.
They both ignored my suggestion and spent three hours getting it to run.
(I searched the ticket system for "financial data" and got _one_ hit, the comments for it (unusual for old tickets), said exactly how to run the export they were looking for.).

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

underlig posted:

(I searched the ticket system for "financial data" and got _one_ hit, the comments for it (unusual for old tickets), said exactly how to run the export they were looking for.).

This is how I make most of my new PowerShell scripts.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

poo poo that pisses me off - other terms implementing things in as fragile a way possible.

We generate a big load of XML files each night and use XML for the express reason that the content in parts of the feed can change wildly depending on what users have iunput or if they need new fields etc. This way, we only need one feed for everyone and don't have to make changes if new data is added to the system, plus, downstream users shouldn't care about changes because it's XML right? Wrong.

One team added such tight validation to their processing that if a certain node was empty, they crashed their loader, ignored the 99% of records that were "correct" and also crashed a load of other batches as well. They also did not tell us they'd done this.

One team complained about duplicate nodes which would have been bad, except the nodes were nested so that doesn't make sense, how were they accessing the XML data? Basically treating it as text and using a string search on the node names :wtc:.

Another group has somehow managed to write a parser that's sensitive to node order so when the content is 100% identical, they still managed to crash their processing. In fairness, this might be due to the language they've used needing to be explicitly told to relax the processing.

Two separate teams have also manged to ignore the X in XML and write their batches in such a way that adding a new node crashes them. I honestly have no idea how they've managed that.

And none of them ever listen when we tell them any of this when they start using the feed either so we only find out when some idiots critical process falls over because they implemented it badly and they blame us.

Have you given the other teams the schema for this XML? Does it have a schema?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

more like dICK posted:

Have you given the other teams the schema for this XML? Does it have a schema?

There's a partial one. Each record has a header node which is fixed barring any new entries anyone requests, but there's then a child node that contains auto generated xml that we don't provide a full schema for because there can be anything from 10 to 1000 child nodes and sub nodes below it depending on the record type. Generally we get the recipient to tell us exactly what parts of the data set they need to use and we tell them the node names and range of values with the caveat that new options may be added in future. The reason for this is so that we don't need to use a bespoke feed for every recipient's requirements or produce some hideous .csv file with 900 columns.

Unfortunately some groups have managed to take this as "the content will never change so implement in as precise a way as possible so that any changes blow up everything", extensible markup language you say? Never heard of it.

Edit: At least one of them doesn't actually know how they're loading the data in the first place because all their original devs quit and apparently didn't document anything. :v:

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 31, 2014

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Pissing me off today LogMeIn Rescue, no not the fact that the free version is going away.

For the last couple of years, I've used WebEx for remote support. The UI is a little clunky but it works well enough. Since we've been borged by another company, we're not allowed to use WebEx any more and a LogMeIn account is set up for me to use, and almost immediately I have a broken customer server to deal with, i know what the problem is it's the fallout from being briefly disconnected from the network which fucks up a certain app we resell. Ok time to give this LogMeIn thing a try.

The new URL to go to is a lot easier to enter than the last one, the PINs are shorter, awesome

Customer: Ok, it says reconfiguring .net and it's asking for an MSI. Yup that old Windows Installer error, not sure why this is happening as .net works fine on that machine (the app on there that I wrote requires it)

I have them uninstall and reinstall .net which takes a good half an hour. Same problem.

The customer realises that if he cancels that config, he can then run the LogMeIn .exe from the temp directory, yay! oh, wait it says the session is expired.

I create a new session, we go through the process of cancelling the .net installer, running it from the temp directory, the session is still showing as very much not expired in my console but nope, it says the session is expired.

gently caress

I haven't even had an acknowledgement email for the ticket I sent to the LogMeIn people.

This whole process is making me look like an idiot with the customer wondering why we can't just use WebEx as that worked. I'm annoyed because even if the framework is broken, isn't that the kind of thing I should be using LogMeIn to fix in the first place!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Pissing me off today, impatient users who don't want to help me help them.

:cool: - "Okay sir, you say you can't connect to the wireless, I've just tweaked a couple things on the access point, go ahead and just reboot the laptop to be on the safe side."
:butt: - "Nah I'd really rather not do that."
:cool: - "Well it... well, okay... let's just go ahead and disable and reenable your wireless adapter, see if that gets it."
:butt: - "Nope still doesn't work, I have to go to a meeting, you keep on working on things on your end and I'll give you a call back later to see if you've fixed it."

Yes, yes, the problem exists entirely on my end, half the country away. Heaven forbid I have to inconvenience you by working on your laptop which you report isn't working, when everyone else's is working :argh:

PEOPLE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Lum posted:

Logmein woes

For future reference the default expiry time for sessions is 5 minutes I believe, but it doesn't show that on the console. At some point the session just disappears from the console. It's a major PITA.