Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I have a Siren with 600 watts on the nose.

It will climb straight up but trying to helicopter it out would be a disaster. The small control surfaces do noting until it is moving quick. The other issue is that you run really high pitch props so at full throttle your propeller is stalled and makes very little trust.

So you launch horizontal at part throttle and it leaves your hand like a rocket. Once it is moving you apply full power and point it up and it takes only seconds before you start thinking you are getting a bit high.

I have actually tried to hover it once it is in the air but it doesnt work. Once the control surfaces become ineffective it just tumbles. If you have enough power applied it simply accelerates straight up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I have 25, maybe 30 servos hanging around. And four receivers. These, need to get used.

So.. I ordered a Fire Fox EP200.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8938__Fire_Fox_EP200_Micro_3D_Helicopter_KIT_ONLY_.html

I'm excited to actually "build a kit." Most of what I've been flying recently is RTF or built from sticks. I'm also excited to be building a helicopter, and something with size. I haven't flown something bigger than a Nano CPX in two years.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

helno posted:

I have actually tried to hover it once it is in the air but it doesnt work. Once the control surfaces become ineffective it just tumbles. If you have enough power applied it simply accelerates straight up.

I've never tried to actually prop hang any of mine, for the reasons you point out. Last time I did a vertical take off, it torque rolled maybe 45 degrees as it climbed out until the speed picked up a little. The gyro had enough command through the control surfaces after that.

Some of the warmliners will still do a respectable speed, and be able to flown slow enough to catch with your hand.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Maiden day tomorrow. The Cassutt/FT hybrids suffered from a painting fail, as despite using 'delicate' masking tape, it still took most of the first layer of paint with it!.
If it flies ok, I'll try to fix it (And also use better paints than the dollar store ones ).

If I'm real happy about my flying, I'll also maiden my 48" Edge.

Also got carried away a little bit and build a 'Prime8' funjet clone:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1304036

Fits easily on one sheet of Dollartree foam.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Wow those look great. Good luck on your maiden.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Had a good couple of flights today trying out my new dominators for the first time. Goggles are just so much better for FPV than the small 8" lcd I've been using so far. They do take a bit of getting used to though.

I did a short edit of the first flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2ElSx6T8b4

Implicit Assembler's maidens were "interesting". :ohdear:

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
Just out of curiosity about that kickstarter video. Is there optics or sonar or something you can put on these copters to avoid obstacles? So for example you could have some sort of beacon on yourself while a copter tracked you through terrain/trees?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

So how cheaply can I get into FPV. I already have aircraft... So, we're talking monitor, transmitter, reciever, and camera.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Pretty cheaply, especially if you are just going to use a monitor and skip on goggles for now.

20-100 for a monitor (ebay phillips extra dvd screen)
20-30 for a rx
25-70 for tx
30-60 for camera

Depends on what kind of quality stuff you into it.

readymaderc.com is bit pricey, but he's in Ohio and has everything you could ever need for FPV. I'd probably buy everything but the monitor from him if I was getting into it again.

You're gonna want 5.8ghz

ease fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 20, 2014

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Morphix posted:

Just out of curiosity about that kickstarter video. Is there optics or sonar or something you can put on these copters to avoid obstacles? So for example you could have some sort of beacon on yourself while a copter tracked you through terrain/trees?

Nothing that's out-of-the-box. Most of the multirotor systems out there are open source or blatant ripoffs of OSS so if you really feel like it you could program anything you wanted to and add it to one of the existing projects out there. So far sonar's been used by a few projects as a near-proximity ground sensor / altitude hold.

As long as you had some kind of telemetry receiver and GPS receiver on the unit itself, you could strap a gps beacon on yourself and have the flight controller calculate the vector to follow you. I haven't seen anyone do this yet.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

mashed_penguin posted:

Implicit Assembler's maidens were "interesting". :ohdear:

Yeah. Even with dialled down throws it was very squirrily and I stalled out over the lone small creek of water. While we were waiting for it to (hopefully) drift to either side of the creek, a helpful dirtbiker drove into the creek, tried to pick it up by the vertstab and it broke off!. Can't really blame him and it was only like $0.05 of foam.

Electronics were still fine, so no real loss.

Next was the Cassutt/FT hybrid. It took off like a champ, but was very clearly very tail heavy and despite having done several CoG test during the build, I clearly got it wrong. Tried to float it down, but the impact was still heavy enough to break the motor mount.
Easily repairable, but I will have to re-think my battery mounting options.
For the short amount of time it was flying, it look good though.

After 2 crashes, I wasn't going to maiden the 48" Edge.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

CrazyLittle posted:

As long as you had some kind of telemetry receiver and GPS receiver on the unit itself, you could strap a gps beacon on yourself and have the flight controller calculate the vector to follow you. I haven't seen anyone do this yet.

I saw video a while ago that had a gimbal doing this. I think the flight was free flight still but the gimbal auto aimed at a wearable GPS. I remember the demo was over water.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

ease posted:

Pretty cheaply, especially if you are just going to use a monitor and skip on goggles for now.

20-100 for a monitor (ebay phillips extra dvd screen)
20-30 for a rx
25-70 for tx
30-60 for camera

Depends on what kind of quality stuff you into it.

readymaderc.com is bit pricey, but he's in Ohio and has everything you could ever need for FPV. I'd probably buy everything but the monitor from him if I was getting into it again.

You're gonna want 5.8ghz

Do you have any models, or sites in specific for me to dig through? Or are those prices I can expect form readymaderc.com?

I need to figure out what I'm doing with my nano CPX. I am not sold on how it integrates throttle and pitch.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Nerobro posted:

I need to figure out what I'm doing with my nano CPX. I am not sold on how it integrates throttle and pitch.

Huh? Throttle and pitch are completely separate on the nano.

LurkingAsian
Jul 27, 2007
Shhhh.......

CrazyLittle posted:

Nothing that's out-of-the-box. Most of the multirotor systems out there are open source or blatant ripoffs of OSS so if you really feel like it you could program anything you wanted to and add it to one of the existing projects out there. So far sonar's been used by a few projects as a near-proximity ground sensor / altitude hold.

APM has a follow me mode. It doesn't have any obstacle avoidance. You can use the telemetry radio with an android device with usb support.

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/ac2_followme/

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Nerobro posted:

Do you have any models, or sites in specific for me to dig through? Or are those prices I can expect form readymaderc.com?

RMRC is on the high end of prices, I kind of see it as a convenience tax. ImmersionRC (sold at rmrc) makes decent 5.8ghz gear, but I'm not sure it's worth the price. There are lots of different places to get gear from such as rangevideo.com or getfpv.com. ebay also has some full package setups which make it easier to get into.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

One thing to consider with FPV is that it still isn't really in the state where it is truely plug and play. It is certainly getting a lot simpler but very few of the package systems that are sold don't require you soldering all the connections etc.

There are a lot of factors that go into whether your setup is going to work well. IBCrazy has a good set of videos about getting started in FPV that are well worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYkbxym_cco

Hobbyking has some basic 5.8 setups that are pretty decent:

vtx and vrx : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15295__Boscam_5_8Ghz_200mw_FPV_Wireless_AV_Tx_Rx_Set.html or http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__43724__Boscam_5_8g_600mw_32CH_FPV_Wirless_AV_Tx_Rx_Set_TS832_and_RC832.html

antennas: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__49827__ImmersionRC_5_8GHz_Circular_Polarized_SpiroNet_Antenna_V2_RP_SMA_.html

monitor: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_22_228&products_id=1191 <- I have this one and its good.

camera: http://www.surveilzone.com/fpv/fpv-camera/sony-super-had-ccd-600tvl-fpv-ir-block-camera-2.8mm-lens <- great camera has wdr so the ground doesn't go black when you are flying into the sun.

This stuff would get you up and running. There are probably cheaper options for the monitor but that rmrc one doesn't bluescreen and it is very bright. You could also save money diying your antennas if you are a bit handy. For 5.8 you absolutley need circular polarization.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I'm not bothered by soldering, or even having to pick out pieces. I think I've got enough links from you guys to spec out a system. I think this will be fun... I wonder how much my EP200 will be able to lift.

.... annoyingly, I placed the order the 12th, and it still hasn't shipped yet...

Barnsy posted:

Huh? Throttle and pitch are completely separate on the nano.

I run a DX6i. The recommended setup mixes throttle and pitch on the "throttle" stick. I think if I hit the 3d switch it just cranks the rotor speed to full and then I only have control of collective.

I think.

The instructions didn't go very in depth on how all of that works. And I haven't been able to find a good tutorial for how it should work.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nerobro posted:

I run a DX6i. The recommended setup mixes throttle and pitch on the "throttle" stick. I think if I hit the 3d switch it just cranks the rotor speed to full and then I only have control of collective.

I think.

The instructions didn't go very in depth on how all of that works. And I haven't been able to find a good tutorial for how it should work.

That is normal. Unlike a real helicopter, you don't bother with the throttle.
Usually you have two modes:
Idle-up: This is what you use when you are just flying normally (at least until you get used to flying in 3D mode) and for starting up.
Here the throttle (stick) ramps up the RPM to 100% at the mid-point and then controls the collective in the positive range only. Power remains constant above 50% input.
3D: You switch to this once in the air. Power is 100% and the throttle stick controls the full collective range.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

ImplicitAssembler posted:

That is normal. Unlike a real helicopter, you don't bother with the throttle.
Usually you have two modes:
Idle-up: This is what you use when you are just flying normally (at least until you get used to flying in 3D mode) and for starting up.
Here the throttle (stick) ramps up the RPM to 100% at the mid-point and then controls the collective in the positive range only. Power remains constant above 50% input.
3D: You switch to this once in the air. Power is 100% and the throttle stick controls the full collective range.

Well... there's my problem. :-) I need to use that 3d switch more often. Idle-up ends up providing a whole lot of negative pitch too. It feels like I could do 3d in that mode too.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

tehk posted:

Uh so my autopilot decided to fly away into the forest.
Were you able to recover your Naza?

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
With a pair of tree spikes and a major amount of manning up I was able to retrieve it. Broke props as it entered the tree but otherwise it escaped injury free! Sending the Naza in to be tested, but for now I will stick with less sophisticated flight controllers like the cc3d and kk2.0 boards.

Starting on my Team Black Sheep Discovery build today. Can't wait for the new fpv gear to arrive with fat shark predator goggles. Big upgrade from the viewing box setup I am running now.

Should I expect any issues with extending ESC battery side connectors 1 inch? These controllers were last used on an internal ESC hex so the battery side connectors are very short and I don't want to cut the wrapping. I was thinking of doing two bullet connectors from the TBS circuit board with about one inch of wire to match males on the ESC battery side.

tehk fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 22, 2014

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Okay after years of being out of the RC flight hobby it has bitten me again, especially with my step-son getting older and asking about the planes I have hanging in the garage. I used to only do gas but want to switch over to electric. I'm starting to order in chargers (the Imax B6, thanks to this thread) and other general pieces.

What would be a good model/trainer for getting back into the hobby? I had originally learned on a Kadet Lt-40 but wanted to go foamy instead of all wood this time.

Previously I've flown/built everything from small 3D profiles to my largest plane which was a 108" Cub that I made scratch from plans so construction isn't a problem but would like to keep it simple with getting back into it.

Just want to thank everyone in this thread for the great ideas and info that has been given over the last 48 pages. Hopefully soon I'll be able to start contributing pics and experiences.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for but at $99-150 for a BNF the E-flite UMX planes are perhaps the best planes for hooking kids into the hobby. The As3xtra is stupid simple to knife edge in the living room, the Beast 3d flies like a bigger plane in a shoebox package, the habu is a tiny EDF jet, and the other 3 are equally cool 3D/stunt and sea planes.

Snoring
Oct 21, 2008
I picked up a Champ RTF over the weekend and I'm really enjoying it so far, it's a great little plane. Does anyone have a good solution for checking the voltage of 1S lipos like this?

I'm thinking I'll need a female battery connector plus a multimeter.

Is this a good idea or am I going to burn my house down/electrocute myself? (I have pretty much 0 experience with this kind of thing and couldn't find a ton of info on RCGroups, etc.)

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Since it doesn't have a balance port and it's so small (size/voltage). I don't bother worrying about it. It came with it's own charger so charge it till the light goes out or stays solid I can't remember and run it till it gets weak. You can definitely tell when this is because the throttle input becomes less useful.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

tehk posted:

I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for but at $99-150 for a BNF the E-flite UMX planes are perhaps the best planes for hooking kids into the hobby. The As3xtra is stupid simple to knife edge in the living room, the Beast 3d flies like a bigger plane in a shoebox package, the habu is a tiny EDF jet, and the other 3 are equally cool 3D/stunt and sea planes.

Those are pretty cool, definitely something that I would pick up for some fun. I want to get a trainer for teaching the kiddo that is a bit bigger, like 40-70 inch wingspan so we can fly it around pretty slow and that it's visible up a little higher so he can get used to normal flying.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A really interesting article: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/01/drones-faa-lawsuit-coming-to-american-skies-102754.html?hp=pm_2

Basically it appears the FAA never actually made commercial drone operations (and commercial r/c operations) illegal. The FAA's official comment was they were not prepared to answer if flying a drone commercially is illegal.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Trabisnikof posted:

A really interesting article: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/01/drones-faa-lawsuit-coming-to-american-skies-102754.html?hp=pm_2

Basically it appears the FAA never actually made commercial drone operations (and commercial r/c operations) illegal. The FAA's official comment was they were not prepared to answer if flying a drone commercially is illegal.

Commercial flight of unlicensed aircraft has always been illegal.

The logic they currently use is basically this:
  • You must have a commercial pilots license and be piloting a licensed craft in order to fly for pay.
  • UAV/drones/multirotors are not licensed craft.
  • Experimental aircraft (ultralights etc) are licensed only for non-commercial use.

That's the same thing that got the pilot of the whooping crane migration grounded.

The article has the interpretation wrong. Trappy's case has nothing to do with the legality of flying R/C for pay. It has to do with how he was cited: for reckless flying and public endangerment.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 29, 2014

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

• You must have a commercial pilots license and be piloting a licensed craft in order to fly for pay.
  • Experimental aircraft (ultralights etc) are licensed only for non-commercial use.

That's the same thing that got the pilot of the whooping crane migration grounded.

The article has the interpretation wrong. Trappy's case has nothing to do with the legality of flying R/C for pay. It has to do with how he was cited: for reckless flying and public endangerment.

The FAA rules are full of paradoxes though that make it highly questionable that an RC model is even legally an aircraft. For example an "Aircraft" can only be flown above 500ft but an RC Model can only be flown below 400ft. You can't recklessly endanger someone with an aircraft if your RC model is not an aircraft.

Many of the FAA regulations that define what an aircraft appear to only apply to a vechicle with the pilot inside of it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

That's the whole point, the FAA is actually refusing to say that commercial use is illegal. So the FAA is trying to bust him for the reckless flying charge since that's the only rule that could stick.

quote:

I asked an FAA spokesman at least five times whether flying a drone for profit is illegal and, after several attempts to follow up, was told that the agency was not prepared to answer that question.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

CrazyLittle posted:

Pretty sure you can use experimental aircraft for commercial use, as many aerobatics planes are classified as experimental and will get paid for doing airshows, etc.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

mashed_penguin posted:

You can't recklessly endanger someone with an aircraft if your RC model is not an aircraft.

If it's in FAA airspace, it's under their jurisdiction.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Pretty sure you can use experimental aircraft for commercial use, as many aerobatics planes are classified as experimental and will get paid for doing airshows, etc.

Tell congress to close the air show loophole.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

mashed_penguin posted:

The FAA rules are full of paradoxes though that make it highly questionable that an RC model is even legally an aircraft. For example an "Aircraft" can only be flown above 500ft but an RC Model can only be flown below 400ft. You can't recklessly endanger someone with an aircraft if your RC model is not an aircraft.

Many of the FAA regulations that define what an aircraft appear to only apply to a vechicle with the pilot inside of it.

Also the 400 foot guideline is from some bullshit 1 page monthly circular from 1981 and many RC pilots regularly exceed 400 feet with no consequences.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wojcigitty posted:

Also the 400 foot guideline is from some bullshit 1 page monthly circular from 1981 and many RC pilots regularly exceed 400 feet with no consequences.

Exactly. They never formally made any rules. This may be a short term deal (theoretically new rules come out this year), but I think it actually has never been illegal to operate UAVs/RCs/Drones for any purpose just that the FAA thought it was but never put in the effort to make it law.

I feel like this means that finally the deadline for formal UAS rules won't slip. If the cat is out of the bag about commercial drone use, they will want to quickly get their rules in place.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

The way it looks to me is the FAA is just trying to intimidate people into doing nothing so that it can have more time to make proper rules.

The CAA in New Zealand looks like it might be taking a sane approach that is based on craft weight. Sub 2kg UAS will have very little regulation and only need to be registered on a website or something along those lines. Between 2 and 25 kg you have to have a safety plan and stuff like that but still not that restrictive and above 25kg it is much more strenuious.They scrapped the previous system that required effectively a commercial pilots licence because it was completly unworkable.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Trabisnikof posted:

I think it actually has never been illegal to operate UAVs/RCs/Drones for any purpose

I already pointed out how the above statement is wrong. There doesn't need to be a law that specifically bars commercial UAV flight when ALL commercial flight is banned without a licensed craft and a commercial pilots license.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

I already pointed out how the above statement is wrong. There doesn't need to be a law that specifically bars commercial UAV flight when ALL commercial flight is banned without a licensed craft and a commercial pilots license.

Then why won't the FAA say that? The FAA is unwilling to officially state that commercial drone use is illegal. So unless you know more about the rules than the FAA, I wouldn't be so sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Trabisnikof posted:

Then why won't the FAA say that? The FAA is unwilling to officially state that commercial drone use is illegal. So unless you know more about the rules than the FAA, I wouldn't be so sure.

Because they're in the process of making rules and exemptions for UAVs? And don't assume that everyjoe is suddenly going to get an exemption for their $500 DJI copter to go out and shoot video of the next NASCAR race, because even the first exemptions made by the FAA apply only to research and commercial use for fire/rescue/police.

Use of FAA airspace is not a right. If it's not explicitly allowed, you probably can't do it 100% legally. Sure there a ton of things you can get away with, but we're talking about what's legal - not what you can get away with. Even Trappy's FPV vids went unnoticed until he was filming the college campus video where he's flying right over the heads of people. I don't think you're going to find that many people defending drone flights over crowds.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 30, 2014