Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

:siren:Attention NES RGB folks!:siren:

I've successfully reprogrammed my faulty board and all is well. If anyone needs a USB blaster to do the reprogramming themselves let me know soonish so we can work something out.

Thanks again to the wonderful flyboi for providing the USB blaster in my time of need. A shrine in his honor:

:retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Japan does have a retro gaming magazine, though from what I've heard it isn't exactly big on dishing the dirt on development of early games.

This must be a Japanese thing, RGM can barely get interviews with relatively known developers (at least within retro circles) like Nazca.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

al-azad posted:

This must be a Japanese thing, RGM can barely get interviews with relatively known developers (at least within retro circles) like Nazca.

Every ex-Nazca dude I've heard from seems to regret their time there; they never go into specifics, but from what I gather they were basically forced away from active game development by SNK for quite a while in order to work on all sorts of boring non-game-related junk that never amounted to anything.

More generally, a lot of these retro JP devs are simply hard to talk to unless you actually live in Japan and are fluent in Japanese.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

McCracAttack posted:

:siren:Attention NES RGB folks!:siren:

I've successfully reprogrammed my faulty board and all is well. If anyone needs a USB blaster to do the reprogramming themselves let me know soonish so we can work something out.

Thanks again to the wonderful flyboi for providing the USB blaster in my time of need. A shrine in his honor:

:retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

I might need it. I contemplated just replacing the SRAM, but meh. Easier to use a software solution. Mine's supposed to arrive soon, but I don't even know if my board is even affected, because I got a shipping notice AFTER tim announced that the boards were hosed up.

It's gonna be a while until I install the board, as I'm waiting for the multiout backpanel that some folks over on ASSEMBLER forums are designing:
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?48990-Sourcing-a-Nintendo-multi-out-socket&p=725739&viewfull=1#post725739

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

McCracAttack posted:

Well, they make an s-video to BNC splitter cable that does that. See here.

Edit: Ah ha! Here's the other half of that equation!

Edit 2: Might also need this.

Oh awesome. That's really tempting, I might throw that stuff in with my next amazon order. Thanks!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Japan does have a retro gaming magazine,

I have a nearly complete (from the period before it became something kinda different) collection of a magazine called Backup Technique/Game Labo, and while I can't read Japanese it looks like it would be SA Retro Thread: The Magazine. It's all about stuff like RGB mods, backup devices (the 90's versions of everdrives/flash carts etc) and generally obscure but awesome poo poo. There are issues dedicated to things like old Mac gaming, MSX/X68000/PC98 stuff, bootleg carts- here's a scan of that one, featuring Somari on the cover.

I seriously wish I could ship these to some really good translator and have every word translated into English for this thread's enjoyment because I am sure it's pure gold.

d0s fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 31, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

I have a nearly complete (from the period before it became something kinda different) collection of a magazine called Backup Technique/Game Labo, and while I can't read Japanese it looks like it would be SA Retro Thread: The Magazine. It's all about stuff like RGB mods, backup devices (the 90's versions of everdrives/flash carts etc) and generally obscure but awesome poo poo. There are issues dedicated to things like old Mac gaming, MSX/X6800/PC98 stuff, bootleg carts- here's a scan of that one, featuring Somari on the cover.

I seriously wish I could ship these to some really good translator and have every word translated into English for this thread's enjoyment because I am sure it's pure gold.

Got an email? I can probably hook you up.

There are lots of JP retro magazines - not just general retro mags, but platform/genre-specific mags, collector guides, all sorts of junk, and that's before all the doujinshi - but there are still lots of taboos that prevent certain interview topics or articles. For example, I'm told the TCRF wiki gets a relatively high percentage of traffic from Japan because the JP fanbase doesn't openly catalogue or share the sorts of information seen on TCRF due to some vague fear of being on the wrong side of the law.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Things I have learned tonight: Super Gussun Oyoyo "co-op" is insane. It's not really competitive since if you want the other player dead you just land your brick on them but you can't move your pieces through each other and plans both conflict and go awry when you have twice as many pieces coming down.

Diet Sodium
Apr 29, 2009
Just bought a mortal kombat 3 kontrol pad for snes. New in box. I had no idea anything like this even existed. It was $22 and I couldn't pass it up. I love me some mortal kombat and weird controllers. Match made in heaven.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

McCracAttack posted:

So do the serial numbers for the SNES apply to the Super Famicom too? In other words, looks for a Super Famicom with a UN3 serial number?

There is a different numbering system for Super Famicoms. This google doc helped me find 1 chip for only 600 yen. It's crusty yellow, but I love it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Got an email? I can probably hook you up.

It's a LOT of text and I have a shelf full of them. Nobody would do this much work for free and I can't afford to pay- it's hundreds of hours of work. If you really think there is someone out there who would be interested in doing this for free, shoot me a PM- I only have one e-mail address and I don't post it on the forums.

EDIT:

There are lots of JP retro magazines - not just general retro mags, but platform/genre-specific mags, collector guides, all sorts of junk, and that's before all the doujinshi - but there are still lots of taboos that prevent certain interview topics or articles. For example, I'm told the TCRF wiki gets a relatively high percentage of traffic from Japan because the JP fanbase doesn't openly catalogue or share the sorts of information seen on TCRF due to some vague fear of being on the wrong side of the law.

Whoa, missed this part. That's really weird since a lot of this magazine seems to be about straight up breaking the law, and it's not some 2600-esque UNDERGROUND H4X0R "'zine" but a normal magazine published by a big corporation. Weird poo poo.

I have one special issue that's a world travel guide on the best places on earth to buy pirated games/copiers/etc.

d0s fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 31, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know if it was posted here but Nintendo is giving away Four Swords for a limited time in NA. This is the fixed version that's playable single.

I wish they would update it to work on Wii U but this is Nintendo so... yeah. If you ever wanted to play the game this is your chance short of finding three friends and who has that?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

fatpat268 posted:

I might need it. I contemplated just replacing the SRAM, but meh. Easier to use a software solution. Mine's supposed to arrive soon, but I don't even know if my board is even affected, because I got a shipping notice AFTER tim announced that the boards were hosed up.

It's gonna be a while until I install the board, as I'm waiting for the multiout backpanel that some folks over on ASSEMBLER forums are designing:
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?48990-Sourcing-a-Nintendo-multi-out-socket&p=725739&viewfull=1#post725739
Okay, just let me know when you're close to needing it and we'll sort stuff out.

MediumWellDone posted:

There is a different numbering system for Super Famicoms. This google doc helped me find 1 chip for only 600 yen. It's crusty yellow, but I love it.
Wonderful! Thanks!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I just scored this lot for 65€. May I direct your attention to the top row, including the copy of Stranded Kids (that's Survival Kids for :911:) I now own. Gonna sell most of the rest again and make some profit. :getin:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

McCracAttack posted:

Okay, just let me know when you're close to needing it and we'll sort stuff out.

I'm going to be wanting it at some point as well, although I'm in Canada. I'd also contemplate just selling it if anyone's interested.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

univbee posted:

I'm going to be wanting it at some point as well, although I'm in Canada. I'd also contemplate just selling it if anyone's interested.

If you'll cover the shipping I'm sure we can make something work.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

McCracAttack posted:

If you'll cover the shipping I'm sure we can make something work.

Yeah, I should at least be able to do that. Anyway, I'm patient (and probably won't have the console it would actually be installed in for a while) so it can do its US grand tour first.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

fatpat268 posted:

Without sounding ignorant, why are you wanting to use a multiout on an NES? The only reasons I can think of is to look neat, it'll use same cable as SNES/N64/Gamecube, or maybe with some combination of adapters it lets you use some other cables/equipment easier/cheaper.

NEO GEO KIND OF NEWS

Back when I had an AES, I bought an official power adapter from the neostore website. Ever since then I've been on their email list which is actually pretty cool given their non-spamness. Anyway I got this email this morning for all that's interested:

http://www.neostore.com/Daedalus-MVS-to-AES-Neo-Geo-Converter-p/20.htm

Yes that's the infamous Daedalus converter back in stock. It's a steal at only :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

Also holy crap they are located in Memphis TN! That's crazy to think of all places a Neo Geo store would be in the US and it's in TN less than 5 hours away from me.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Katana Gomai posted:

I just scored this lot for 65€. May I direct your attention to the top row, including the copy of Stranded Kids (that's Survival Kids for :911:) I now own. Gonna sell most of the rest again and make some profit. :getin:

GBC Mr. Driller, Survival Kids, and some radical multicarts. Nice!

Some reputable guy from Qatar on GBAtemp is selling a bunch of old modchips. I'm in for a couple XenoGCs. If anyone else is interested in what he has, especially from the Euro zone, chime in.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/rare-original-retro-modchips.359378/

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Katana Gomai posted:

Legend of the River King is a good game. I have the PS2 version - I wonder if the GBC game is any different?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Wow that's awesome, congratulations on that haul.

I feel like just the Game Boy and Pokemon games would run about that much.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Tyson Tomko posted:

Without sounding ignorant, why are you wanting to use a multiout on an NES? The only reasons I can think of is to look neat, it'll use same cable as SNES/N64/Gamecube, or maybe with some combination of adapters it lets you use some other cables/equipment easier/cheaper.

NEO GEO KIND OF NEWS

Back when I had an AES, I bought an official power adapter from the neostore website. Ever since then I've been on their email list which is actually pretty cool given their non-spamness. Anyway I got this email this morning for all that's interested:

http://www.neostore.com/Daedalus-MVS-to-AES-Neo-Geo-Converter-p/20.htm

Yes that's the infamous Daedalus converter back in stock. It's a steal at only :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

Also holy crap they are located in Memphis TN! That's crazy to think of all places a Neo Geo store would be in the US and it's in TN less than 5 hours away from me.

$400 for a passive adapter? I know the NeoGeo commounity is weird but geeeeez

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RadicalR posted:

Legend of the River King is a good game. I have the PS2 version - I wonder if the GBC game is any different?

The principles are the same but the GameBoy Color games are the third and fourth games in the series and the PS2 one is the sixth game in the series (not counting various remakes). For the Europeans in the audience, that game was known as Harvest Fishing.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Katana Gomai posted:

Go play Pocket Bomberman. I loved that junk when it was new. It's not a normal Bomberman game, it's 1 player only and it's seen from the side like a platformer instead of topdown like Bomberman. You go around and clear out rooms of monsters.

There's also a "Jump Mode" where you climb a giant tower and can't stop jumping. Very cool game!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

al-azad posted:

Retro Gamer has some pretty good interviews with Japanese developers who worked on big games in the few issues I have, they had an interview about the production of Super Castlevania IV with one of the developers (forget who) and an interview with Eiji Aonuma on Wind Waker. It's a great magazine and I actually appreciate the articles on British computer poo poo since I live in the US and it's pretty much all new to me.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Tyson Tomko posted:

The AV Famicom has it and its great because you can use your existing SNES/N64/GC cables and it has all the pins you need for things like s-video and RGB. That replacement looks like it could be dropped in without having to do any cutting on the case. Currently to get RGB out of say a top-loader NES you would probably have to install a mini din connector and cut a hole for it in the case.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TheRedEye posted:

Hey do you guys want to see this really beautifully shot video of my vintage video game magazine collection?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaoZ2oDMJ04

If you like this please consider backing the Kickstarter campaign for the documentary series this was shot for:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/area5/outerlands-season-one

Uh this owns and I dont know why more people didnt respond to this. Are you working to catalog all that information online somewhere, or is your intent to use it simply as a personal reference and library?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Uh this owns and I dont know why more people didnt respond to this. Are you working to catalog all that information online somewhere, or is your intent to use it simply as a personal reference and library?

I think I asked this before, but do people care much about 90s Euro games magazines? I have a few stacks of old magazines in storage I want to get rid of. I should really cut the ties and dump them though.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

It's mostly a Europe thing, but it's also a "all the decent games were made by old Japanese dudes we can't talk to or even identify, so it's easier to just talk to Random C64 Dev #56847586 instead" thing.

Yeah, old uncredited Japanese arcade games are the worst about that. And even if you can find the people involved, they often don't want to talk or are out of reach. I managed to convince Namco's PR team to track down the uncredited original designer of Rolling Thunder last year, but it turns out he's now a high-level executive at the company and doesn't want to talk to media, especially about some 30-year-old game the company doesn't care to capitalize on anymore. Whereas some accountant living over on the outskirts of Ipswich who designed a Spectrum game in 1983 that sold 1000 units is more than happy to tell you about his little pet project no one else remembers.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

TheRedEye posted:

Hey do you guys want to see this really beautifully shot video of my vintage video game magazine collection?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaoZ2oDMJ04

If you like this please consider backing the Kickstarter campaign for the documentary series this was shot for:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/area5/outerlands-season-one

That's pretty neat. Does that big rear end encyclopedia of that magazine have an ISBN? I know you said it's super rare but I'd love to pass the number around to see if my friends in book dealing could find it for me.

Edit: oh I see you had all the issues scanned into the internet archive
I found one of them https://archive.org/details/Computer_Update_1987

Happen to know where the others are hiding? This is the only one I can find in their awful interface

flyboi fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 31, 2014

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I would go to TheRedEye's house and carefully go through each magazine looking for Renovation and Virtual Boy ads. Then I would challenge him to every Magical Drop in order and Plasma Sword :fyadride:

edit: Stopping at Magical Drop F - Daibouken Mo Rakujyanai! because as far as I'm concerned Touch and V don't exist

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 31, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I would go to TheRedEye's house and carefully sneak in my old PC Gamer magazines to get rid of them without anyone noticing. :ninja:

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Tyson Tomko posted:

Why wouldn't you want multiout? It's a single connector that provides composite, svideo, rgb, and audio. You could mount a Genesis style multi-din connector if you wanted as well, and that'd work, but a multiout is much cleaner. Plus, it's a standardized plug, and there's a ton of them out there.

There's been talk in that assembler thread of making a Wii AV Multiout version. It's basically the same principle, but with the Wii's connector. This connector adds in the ability for component video, so you could throw in a RGB to component converter ( http://tg16pcemods.bigcartel.com/product/tg-16-pce-mod-chip-rgb-to-component-converter ), and in theory you'll have one plug that can accomodate 4 different types of video output. Wii cables are still common, and official wii rgb scart cables can still be imported from europe for cheap.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The problem is being limited to the quality of the cables you can find with that connector. For example, there was recently a discussion about how very few snes/n64 s-video cables don't suck.

I'm about to start doing my first console mods, and with everything I've seen I'm just going to put standard cable jacks on so I can use any standard rca/svideo/whatever cable.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

The problem is being limited to the quality of the cables you can find with that connector. For example, there was recently a discussion about how very few snes/n64 s-video cables don't suck.

I'm about to start doing my first console mods, and with everything I've seen I'm just going to put standard cable jacks on so I can use any standard rca/svideo/whatever cable.

Well, in order to do that and get the same range of options as the multi-out you would need:
-2 RCA audio jacks for stereo
-1 RCA jack for composite video
-1 S-Video jack
-1 other connector of some sort for RGB. Probably a big ol' DIN connector.

Fitting 5 separate jacks on the back of an NES top loader would be kinda hard. I guess the sort of people who are into making multi out jacks are also the sort of people that can gin up their own custom AV cables.

Edit: Have a look at this picture:

That's just three of the five jacks mentioned. It's an even tighter fit on the inside because there are a bunch of internal components that the backs of those jacks have to dodge around.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 31, 2014

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Mounting jacks scares me cause I'd never forgive myself if I drill holes in a console and they weren't perfectly aligned :smith:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Bing the Noize posted:

Mounting jacks scares me cause I'd never forgive myself if I drill holes in a console and they weren't perfectly aligned :smith:

Also this.

Mostly this in fact.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
It honestly isn't hard if you do it right.
http://longhornengineer.com/diy/atarivideomods/2600-6switch-ntsc/

This page shows how to do it properly

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

the wizards beard posted:

I think I asked this before, but do people care much about 90s Euro games magazines? I have a few stacks of old magazines in storage I want to get rid of. I should really cut the ties and dump them though.

By Euro, I assume you mean non-UK?

If no one else wants them, you could check around at Retromags.com and see if anyone in the off-topic section might want to take them off your hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Kthulhu5000 posted:

By Euro, I assume you mean non-UK?

If no one else wants them, you could check around at Retromags.com and see if anyone in the off-topic section might want to take them off your hands.

Nah, mostly UK.

• Locked thread