Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

I think Mega Bloks has the Mario license, don't they?

It's actually K'Nex of all things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

But it looks like there are flat classic space style computer pieces inside that cockpit.

Sockser posted:

:sbahj:

This is amazing. Wonder what the price'll be.

e: Spacesuit unicorn cat!

I think it'll run $90-100 based on number of bricks and previous pricing on movie sets.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Has there been any news on a release date for Metal Beard's Sea Cow?

My wife will rue the day she said she'd get the next big ship after I missed the Imperial Flagship.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ltr posted:

But it looks like there are flat classic space style computer pieces inside that cockpit.

Yep.. also have that printed tile with the gauges that has been getting used in just about every set for the past 10 years.

I'm gonna have to buy 5 of the sets just to have copies of all those sweet parts. The trans yellow canopy alone is worth buying the set for.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dogen posted:

Did we know the next cuuso set was ghostbusters yet? Because it is.

:stare: I can't believe my life has peaked already.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

I'm gonna have to buy 5 of the sets just to have copies of all those sweet parts. The trans yellow canopy alone is worth buying the set for.

That piece is probably going to shoot up in value after the set gets discontinued -- I can't imagine them using it in any other sets, unless there's some recent trans-yellow theme that I can't remember.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Mr. Glass posted:

That piece is probably going to shoot up in value after the set gets discontinued -- I can't imagine them using it in any other sets, unless there's some recent trans-yellow theme that I can't remember.

Atlantis 2011 had a couple, for a given value of "recent."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

xzzy posted:

And sorry, that link I gave apparently doesn't make it easy to go back to the dude's full set. He has a pile of photos from the show here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61839591@N08/sets/72157640299391795/with/12212368785/

That UltraAgents set...OMG:

Looks to be secret-agent themed? Or maybe like a Men In Black-esque scenario if that thing with all that trans-green is an alien, as I suspect?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Network42 posted:

Has there been any news on a release date for Metal Beard's Sea Cow?

In the UK it's available in store on the day the movie is officially released (14th Feb) for VIPs... which is basically anyone who wants it anyway.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

DrBouvenstein posted:

That UltraAgents set...OMG:

Looks to be secret-agent themed? Or maybe like a Men In Black-esque scenario if that thing with all that trans-green is an alien, as I suspect?

I'm torn. I think I prefer the original. Dark Blue (whatever that shade is called) > Black and the truck exterior is a bit too technic on the new one.

It's a line I'm happy to see make a comeback though.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Sorry to break up Toyfair chat, but I'm pleased to announce the completion of my first MOC which I designed entirely in LDD. I didn't fiddle with any physical models or parts for inspiration -- it all was done in LDD, which I'm pretty proud of. Normally when presented with limitless possibilities I find my creativity shorts out from being overwhelmed, so I'm especially pleased with myself. Anyways, on to the model!

Gentlemen, I present to you the Chelydra-class heavy destroyer.

Designed purely for combat, the Chelydra is heavily armed and armored, able to take a lot of punishment and return it tenfold. It's primary role in a fleet is engaging other capital ships, typically of frigate size or larger.

The primary armaments are the four quad ion cannon arrays, two per side. Complex refractive assemblies within the turret sphere split and redirect the powerful energy beam produced by the two dedicated power plants towards the middle of the ship. The four emitters on each turret can be fired in unison to deal incredible damage with a cooldown period, or can be fired one by one in sequence to deal lower but more consistent and sustained damage. Due to the delicate and sensitive nature of the refractive assemblies the turrets can only move fast enough to target slower ships.

The ship's secondary armaments are the twelve heavy kinetic turrets, split evenly across the top and bottom of the vessel. Capable of greater turning speeds than the ion turrets, the heavy kinetic cannons can fire on more agile frigates with ease. Almost no area around the ship is outside of the reach of one of these turrets, except for the very front and rear of the ship.

Corvettes and small bombers can prove to be troublesome, as the turrets cannot be brought to bear upon nimble targets. Due to this weakness, the Chelydra is capable of carrying a small complement of starfighters, launched from four shielded hangars located in the bow of the vessel.

Near the hangars is the bridge. Protected by a strong cage of advanced structural materials, the bridge crew can operate in complete safety, able to focus on the tasks at hand without fear of violent decompression.

Naturally, a ship of such incredible mass needs powerful engines to get it where it needs to go. To that end, the Chelydra has a massive engine assembly, giving this behemoth respectable accelerative power considering its bulk.

Overall, the Chelydra is a powerful vessel, great for defending important installations from large fleets, or serving as a flagship in an attack force. Despite the hefty price tag of 478 quadrillion macca, the Chelydra is a sound investment in protecting your most prized orbital platforms!

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

I'm an LDD Wizard and i aprove of this MOC, drat that's great!

I updated a old model of mine a bit, the render came out a bit bright but eh.

RX-02-XL V.2 Jihaxus by AzMiLion, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't want to hear excuses! The ship has to be at least.. three times bigger than this!

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Is the red space figure's helmet cracked? I hope so it makes it even better.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

So, in case you didn't look at the Cuusoo results, the female scientists minifigures set hasn't been entirely ruled out. They went with the Ghostbusters set that had their building in the project, but obviously aren't doing the building, just the car & minifigs. That should keep the pricing in line with the other Cuusoo sets.

The next set of Cuusoo reviews include Sherlock, Macross Valkyrie, Legend of Zelda, Japanese Old-style Architecture, Adventure Time, and a UCS Delorean.

I can't see Sherlock even making it past the marketing review. The only builds would be...an office.
The Macross Valkyrie would be a nightmare of licensing; no chance.
Nintendo already has a relationship with K'nex. Lego could get by with just one or two new pieces (the hair/cap/ears piece, maybe the shield), but the licensing just precludes this. Stop voting these up!
The Japanese buildings are...eh. They seem too large for Cuusoo and they're too niche. Maybe they'll whip something up into the Architecture line, but I can't see it working here.
The UCS Delorean isn't as large as I thought it was (it's only a bit wider than the large battery pack), but still seems larger than other Cuusoo sets. Also, the power functions jump the cost, which I think would be the killer.
Adventure Time is the only one I can see succeeding. Enormous kid/nerd appeal, fun colors and builds. Problem is it could require new molds (I don't think any Cuusoo set has had new molds). Plus licensing. I'd be surprised if the show creator wasn't all for it, but Cartoon Network might not go for it. There don't seem to be any other Adventure Time building sets, though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Merchant of Death posted:

Is the red space figure's helmet cracked? I hope so it makes it even better.

Yep, and somehow even his torso is cracked. He's by far my worst condition space guy. Well, complete space guy. I have a couple helmetless white ones and some yellow dudes with broken legs.

I kind of wanted to make him a red Benny but I don't have a good minifig head.

Edit - actually that gets me thinking. Anyone else got some old busted up incomplete space men an want to set up a part exchange to complete some dudes? This is everything I have, they're all in pretty lovely shape but a complete lovely minifig is better than an incomplete on, I guess.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 31, 2014

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Pyroclastic posted:

The next set of Cuusoo reviews include Sherlock, Macross Valkyrie, Legend of Zelda, Japanese Old-style Architecture, Adventure Time, and a UCS Delorean.

I can't see Sherlock even making it past the marketing review. The only builds would be...an office.
Nintendo already has a relationship with K'nex. Lego could get by with just one or two new pieces (the hair/cap/ears piece, maybe the shield), but the licensing just precludes this. Stop voting these up!
The Japanese buildings are...eh. They seem too large for Cuusoo and they're too niche. Maybe they'll whip something up into the Architecture line, but I can't see it working here.
The UCS Delorean isn't as large as I thought it was (it's only a bit wider than the large battery pack), but still seems larger than other Cuusoo sets. Also, the power functions jump the cost, which I think would be the killer.
Adventure Time is the only one I can see succeeding. Enormous kid/nerd appeal, fun colors and builds. Problem is it could require new molds (I don't think any Cuusoo set has had new molds). Plus licensing. I'd be surprised if the show creator wasn't all for it, but Cartoon Network might not go for it. There don't seem to be any other Adventure Time building sets, though.
People voted up a DeLorean again? Do people really think Lego's going to make another DeLorean after having just done one? The Japanese buildings do seem niche, but then again the first Cuusoo they did was an obscure Japanese underwater robot so I wouldn't rule it out. I agree Adventure Time does seem the most likely if Cartoon Network signs off on it, though I don't really like the looks of the actual models the guy designed. I don't see Lego making the custom microfigs he's planned, and without those the treefort is kinda blah.

Also this has reintroduced me to the fun of finding ridiculously lovely Cuusoo submissions.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/40680

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/51468

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/55218 - This one is cool in concept but it looks like it's reacting appropriately to having the power set jammed up its rear end

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Knormal posted:

People voted up a DeLorean again? Do people really think Lego's going to make another DeLorean after having just done one?

There's also a BTTF train set :what:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Yeah I don't see any of the next wave being particularly likely candidates. Even the female minifigure project strikes me as unlikely. I am absolutely all for a move towards gender parity in minifigures, but would much rather they did it in the sets themselves than by having to release a seperate line/project to play catch-up. I think there are a couple of other issues with it as well...

I'd much rather the response to this vote to be a shift in policy rather than actual sets.

Pyroclastic posted:

The Japanese buildings do seem niche, but then again the first Cuusoo they did was an obscure Japanese underwater robot so I wouldn't rule it out.

Cuusoo was Japan only for a couple of years before it launched internationally. Not sure if that was because it was a local Japanese project or because it was some kind of trial/beta. But that's why the first couple of sets were obscure Japanese things. The first one wasn't even available outside of Japan.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Pyroclastic posted:

You don't know the fervor of the Sherlock fandom. I could actually see it become a pretty huge hit. Even just for the minifigs alone, but the set itself looks really cute and true to the on-screen version; it's not just some office but the most iconic set piece in the series (Sherlock's home on Baker Street).

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The problem with the female minifigure pack is that since it was put on the site most of the scenarios have already been covered in the collectable figures and Friends.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Pyroclastic posted:

The first thought that popped into my head when I saw it being mentioned was "There is no loving way Harmony Gold will actually let that happen."
For those unaware, Harmony Gold are the current holder of the Macross/Robotech license and they are amazingly anal about it and has effectively blocked all attempts to get the series licensed in the West time and time again-

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Whsmiths have the minifigs! I picked up, got 1 Emmet, 1 Panda Guy and 2 Lincolns. What people have been saying is true though, they feel remarkably cheap.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I got an offer of 655USD for my unregistered Mr. Gold. Do you guys think I should accept it or wait for a better offer? There's still like 3 weeks left in the buy it now.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

RodShaft posted:

I got an offer of 655USD for my unregistered Mr. Gold. Do you guys think I should accept it or wait for a better offer? There's still like 3 weeks left in the buy it now.

Is a 22000% return on investment good enough for you?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Knormal posted:

People voted up a DeLorean again? Do people really think Lego's going to make another DeLorean after having just done one? The Japanese buildings do seem niche, but then again the first Cuusoo they did was an obscure Japanese underwater robot so I wouldn't rule it out. I agree Adventure Time does seem the most likely if Cartoon Network signs off on it, though I don't really like the looks of the actual models the guy designed. I don't see Lego making the custom microfigs he's planned, and without those the treefort is kinda blah.

Also this has reintroduced me to the fun of finding ridiculously lovely Cuusoo submissions.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/40680

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/51468

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/55218 - This one is cool in concept but it looks like it's reacting appropriately to having the power set jammed up its rear end

I would love it it they did something like this:

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/47379

When I was a kid, I built a KITT out of LEGO, but it wasn't like this. It's not perfect, but it'd be a good place to start.

Actually, just do a whole series based on 80's tv shows. KITT, The A-Team van, Air Wolf, Street Hawk . . .

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Davros1 posted:

I would love it it they did something like this:

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/47379

When I was a kid, I built a KITT out of LEGO, but it wasn't like this. It's not perfect, but it'd be a good place to start.

Actually, just do a whole series based on 80's tv shows. KITT, The A-Team van, Air Wolf, Street Hawk . . .

That's a great idea, but the front end is horrible. Like you said good starting point though,

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

RodShaft posted:

Think about it in terms of Lego. Would you rather have 4 modular buildings or a gold Lego figure.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

The Rage posted:

Is a 22000% return on investment good enough for you?

Yeah, but after fees...

I wanted to hit $750, but I countered with $700. I'll keep you posted.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ChesterJT posted:

That's a great idea, but the front end is horrible. Like you said good starting point though,

I wonder why someone would point out things like SNOT and smooth curves, and then publish that front end.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
With them doing a Delorean, and now the Ghostbuster's car, I could easy see them start pumping out other 'classic movie' types of cars. Wouldn't surprise me in the future if we end up seeing car builds from Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, maybe even the scooby doo mystery van, Herbie (especially since we know they have Disney licenses already).

I think the Adventure Time set would probably get published, because every kid will probably want one...I would imagine them being smaller priced sets maybe in the $10-20 range. I would imagine moms with an extra $15 and a whiny kid far out number the number of Simpsons fans with an expendable income.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I can see Adventure Time getting the nod, because it would be popular with adults and actual kids, and they probably already have a really good working relationship with cartoon network from Chima and Ninjago.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Love the MOCs, folks. Superb.

Toy Fair stuff is awesome, I cannot wait for the Classic Space movie set. Agent stuff is awesome. What really surprised me is how much go the Chima stuff seems buyable to me. That first series was butts but I they've been getting steadily better.

Unrelated: did anyone actually see any good post-holiday deals? All my Walmarts and the like we're wiped out and never seemed to clearance anything. Makes me curious what the quarter was like for LEGO Group, because drat.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
UK Amazon has low pices on Galaxy Squad. Interceptor is £10.99, Bug Obliterator is £20 (was £60) and the swarmer was £3.99 for a while.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Those Cuusoo Japanese buildings look rad and there is a pretty high chance I will purchase such a set if it is released.

I was just reminded that this thread is what drew my attention to the fact that the medieval marketplace set existed (the one in the OP) which is quite possibly my favourite of the sets that I have.

Well, it's that or my Star Destroyer which I finally managed to retrieve from interstate this holidays.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

rickiep00h posted:

Unrelated: did anyone actually see any good post-holiday deals? All my Walmarts and the like we're wiped out and never seemed to clearance anything. Makes me curious what the quarter was like for LEGO Group, because drat.

Not a single set was clearance in my area, and we have 3 Walmarts within 15 minutes of each other, this also includes a local Target and TRU. I am kind of disappointed in the lack of clearance sales, this is the one time of year I save up a good chunk of toy money and have a blast buying a bunch of fun sets and a great price.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Sites like BrickPicker post all of the clearances at like 5AM for the pro-resellers to go and snap them up in most urban areas.

These guys like make a living off of this poo poo, so that is probably why you haven't seen any clearances lately. LEGO speculation has really exploded in the last two years.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Szymanski posted:

UK Amazon has low pices on Galaxy Squad. Interceptor is £10.99, Bug Obliterator is £20 (was £60) and the swarmer was £3.99 for a while.

The obliterator is a cool little set.

I have all the galaxy squad sets and am kinda sad it didn't seem to sell that well.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
I had the Mech and the Titan, not really impressed with the Insectoid stuff. Really want the vermin vaporizer to drop in price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

jeeves posted:

Sites like BrickPicker post all of the clearances at like 5AM for the pro-resellers to go and snap them up in most urban areas.

These guys like make a living off of this poo poo, so that is probably why you haven't seen any clearances lately. LEGO speculation has really exploded in the last two years.

I mean in actual B&M stores. You never know what random poo poo a store manager will decide has been sitting on the shelf for too long.