Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Sethmaster posted:

Guys, here my a preview of the ultimate moves for candyjam game

Yes, I am a horrible artist so any kind-hearted artist willing to help out would be paid in a lot of heartfelt thanks. Sorry, that's all I can afford. :v:

The UI looks a little weird and out of place, but the actual sprites and tiles look beautiful. Way better than anything I could pull off. I think you just need to try to standardize the UI to match more with the aesthetic of the game content. You've got pixel art sprites, going with a less smooth framing on the UI windows and a pixel-styled font would look more unified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Making a grass tile set is really starting to piss me off. This is for a bird's eye view tank game, and while the tank sprite I love, the grass is grating on me. I want it to look like a nice, almost texturey loop, but think it should at least be 128*128 so it doesn't clash with the game window size.

What I have now seems so ugly but I don't know where to go. I can't find any resources on how to make nice, large sized grass that look like it could fit on the ground of one of those new Pokemon games or something. Help!

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

korusan posted:

Making a grass tile set is really starting to piss me off. This is for a bird's eye view tank game, and while the tank sprite I love, the grass is grating on me. I want it to look like a nice, almost texturey loop, but think it should at least be 128*128 so it doesn't clash with the game window size.

What I have now seems so ugly but I don't know where to go. I can't find any resources on how to make nice, large sized grass that look like it could fit on the ground of one of those new Pokemon games or something. Help!
Here is a hint I learned from spending hours and hours going through lots of grass textures: don't even worry about what it looks like until you've put it in context and surrounded it with the props and environments that are actually going to be in the game, because it will look totally different once you have that. Unless you really are just making a field of grass, in which case, good luck.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Orzo posted:

Here is a hint I learned from spending hours and hours going through lots of grass textures: don't even worry about what it looks like until you've put it in context and surrounded it with the props and environments that are actually going to be in the game, because it will look totally different once you have that. Unless you really are just making a field of grass, in which case, good luck.

I was about to post almost the exact same thing. The real problem is that you're just looking at grass and trying to make the it look good. Grass does not need to (nor is it able to) "look amazing" by itself. Any area of grass is basically an area where the player shouldn't be looking, because there's nothing there. That being said, I'd just bring down the noise texture down around 75%, so it's just a flat green. Google Wind Waker screenshots - the grass is totally flat green. Nobody cares because it's about how things look on the grass.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

korusan posted:

There isn't really a way around it, but you can minimize the way it looks like it's repeating. Have a read here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131482/the_power_of_the_high_pass_filter.php?print=1

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

G-Prime posted:

The UI looks a little weird and out of place, but the actual sprites and tiles look beautiful. Way better than anything I could pull off. I think you just need to try to standardize the UI to match more with the aesthetic of the game content. You've got pixel art sprites, going with a less smooth framing on the UI windows and a pixel-styled font would look more unified.

Thanks. Will try to fix it before 3rd of Feb

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

G-Prime posted:

The UI looks a little weird and out of place, but the actual sprites and tiles look beautiful. Way better than anything I could pull off.

They are certainly nice, but don't feel too bad about your own spriting. They're ripped from RPGMaker VX :ssh:

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Just wondering: Are there any games that actually render to a curved plane or three separate flat planes, for triple monitor setups? Whenever I see triple-monitor setups, the flat plane rendering creates horrible fisheye distortion on the side monitors.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

Thanks for the responses. I think 8 facing squares seems like a good way to go with the 1.5 cost diagonal movement. For melee I'll use the 8 squares but give attack bonuses for being in the 4 cardinal to push towards occupying those squares. For range attacks most are based upon straight distance and raycast, but I'll keep that in mind about the diagonal distance.

I was fond of my prettier animated hexes, but for cover and enforcing item placement squares are a lot easier.

Squares also cause some issues specific to strategy/tactics games when a player is trying to set up a line of forces to block another player and a straight line isn't suitable-- if you need a diagonal unit wall and diagonal movement is possible, it takes twice as many units to effectively block your opponent (otherwise there's holes in your line). Special rules (like flanking or whatever) for moving 'past' stationary units can deal with this, BUT that's more complexity to your ruleset. Hexes also solve this (and is a major part of the reason Civ V moved to hexes).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nition posted:

Just wondering: Are there any games that actually render to a curved plane or three separate flat planes, for triple monitor setups? Whenever I see triple-monitor setups, the flat plane rendering creates horrible fisheye distortion on the side monitors.

Forza does a pretty good job with it.. each monitor can have its viewing angle chosen, relative to the main screen. It also has sliders for dealing with overlap and field of view.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nition posted:

I want to say Crysis can, there was a demo with a 180 degree round monitor that used Crysis if memory serves, and it didn't have any distortion IIRC.

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(
The Candy Apple Crusher Saga has been released, hooray!
I've been pretty busy with other things over the past few days (which means that I haven't been able to get around to adding stuff like bosses and new levels), but I managed to get it in a playable state for the Candy Jam!
But I'm still proud with it, especially considering that it's my first ever released game :)

Aphtonites fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 30, 2014

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

They are certainly nice, but don't feel too bad about your own spriting. They're ripped from RPGMaker VX :ssh:

Shhh..... bad dragon.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

TomR posted:

There isn't really a way around it, but you can minimize the way it looks like it's repeating. Have a read here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131482/the_power_of_the_high_pass_filter.php?print=1

Thanks for that link.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Yes, thanks friends. I went and edited the grass tile and am a little happier.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
My Candy Jam game is coming along well.

Candy Crusher: Saga of the Edge Scrolls
Featuring Charles Barkley.

e:
Welcome to Planet Barkley

Calipark fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 31, 2014

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
amazing.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Orzo posted:

amazing.

same. I have no idea what this game is, but I'm sold.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

You guys' Candy Jam games look a whole hell lot better than mine, but gently caress it. Here's mine = http://d_w.itch.io/candy---a-space-horror-saga (for some reason all forum formatting hates this link)

Aphtonites posted:

The Candy Apple Crusher Saga has been released, hooray!
I've been pretty busy with other things over the past few days (which means that I haven't been able to get around to adding stuff like bosses and new levels), but I managed to get it in a playable state for the Candy Jam!
But I'm still proud with it, especially considering that it's my first ever released game :)
It's a very pretty game! The movement feels a bit sluggish. I can't tell if that has to do with the parallaxing or the controls. It's sort of strange how you bounce off the back of the stage. The shooting sound can get a bit annoying. But other than that it's a pretty nifty little game for a game jam game!

D_W fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 31, 2014

soapydishwater
Feb 11, 2013

definitely not cleansing
-snip, nevermind-

soapydishwater fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 31, 2014

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Jon93 posted:

e:

Oh my god it's megaton punch :banjo:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Jon93 posted:

e:

Ha ha! That's amazing. I love the crowd.

Larissa made a horse demo for our horse game: http://horseworldonline.net/horse/

Horse Horse Horse

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

seiken posted:

Oh my god it's megaton punch :banjo:
... which, funny story, really is a pretty good game. If anyone here tried it, but stopped at the first or second real level - power through. He put some of his worst level design in the first few stages, and I have no idea why. Going to guess it was one of those "made the first levels first, figured out how to make levels on the way" dealies.

EDIT: OH, geeze, sorry. I was thinking of MegaByte Punch. Totally different game, woops.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 31, 2014

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Shalinor posted:

... which, funny story, really is a pretty good game. If anyone here tried it, but stopped at the first or second real level - power through. He put some of his worst level design in the first few stages, and I have no idea why. Going to guess it was one of those "made the first levels first, figured out how to make levels on the way" dealies.

I think there is some misunderstanding; I was referring to this, what game are you on about?

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Kirby Super Star, Punching through the Earth 16 years before Asura's Wrath made it stylish.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Hey guys. Bringing this over from the development thread since I apparently don't know how to look at other forums.

So I need a personal project that's mostly capable of being pulled off by one guy in his spare time, so I'm going where all the cool kids are going and doing a space rougelike. Loosely inspired by FTL, you're the last remnants of your species, and you're gallivanting around the galaxy, having adventures, making your ship bigger and better, whatever. You start off with a rudimentary ship that's not meant to be a mothership, and over time you turn it into the home for your people. All's good there, conceptually.

But I'm having trouble figuring out, what's the point? So far I've only got two options, and I'm not sure I'm satisfied with either. First is the endless mode where you're pretty exploring the galaxy until you're sick of it, or you lose the ship to space, bad guys, mutiny, whatever. In the goal-oriented version, while escaping from the Big Bad that wipes out everyone else, your ship pulls a Voyager and now you have to cross the galaxy and take your planet back.

The two could live together. Say, at the start you make a decision: one leads to the delta quadrant, and the other to the endless version where the Big Bad is always hunting you down for some reason. But, like I said, I'm not sure how happy I am with either, and any external perspective you guys could bring would be nice.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
It sounds good, of course, but you've chosen the largest-scale and most-difficult-to-make-enjoyable gameplay concept there. If, to describe your game, you say "it's [entirety of one full game] plus [entirety of another full game]," it's safe to assume that the idea is way too big. Why not start with just a spaceship-building simulator? And then, if by some magic, you're able to make a good and fun one faster than you'd imagined, try to tack exploration onto that?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good first projects are making something that could have been done on an Atari 2600 or NES.

That is, engaging play and not a lot of complexity.

So identify what parts of your idea could fit that bill and work on it. Then once you get that going you can start to bolt on your bigger ideas (though the harsh reality is you'll probably hate every line of code you ever wrote and just rewrite everything).

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(

D_W posted:

It's a very pretty game! The movement feels a bit sluggish. I can't tell if that has to do with the parallaxing or the controls. It's sort of strange how you bounce off the back of the stage. The shooting sound can get a bit annoying. But other than that it's a pretty nifty little game for a game jam game!
Yeah, there's still a lot of polishing up that needs doing, thanks for pointing them out though!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Polo-Rican posted:

It sounds good, of course, but you've chosen the largest-scale and most-difficult-to-make-enjoyable gameplay concept there. If, to describe your game, you say "it's [entirety of one full game] plus [entirety of another full game]," it's safe to assume that the idea is way too big. Why not start with just a spaceship-building simulator? And then, if by some magic, you're able to make a good and fun one faster than you'd imagined, try to tack exploration onto that?

That is my current plan; ship construction and simulation mechanisms first, then move on to the universe. But it is itching at me to have some notion of an end goal, and the two aspects aren't entirely disconnected.

xzzy posted:

Good first projects are making something that could have been done on an Atari 2600 or NES.

That is, engaging play and not a lot of complexity.

So identify what parts of your idea could fit that bill and work on it. Then once you get that going you can start to bolt on your bigger ideas (though the harsh reality is you'll probably hate every line of code you ever wrote and just rewrite everything).

Oh no, this is personal development project, not a first project. I've been in the industry for many years now, I just need something to expand my horizons, even if it doesn't end up amounting to anything, since apparently I'm not already writing enough code that I hate. Small focus is noted, though.

Ulu
Nov 7, 2005
Making something dumb for candyjam to evacuate stress. Should be finished soon !

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

If you're going the last remnant route for the story, you could take a page from the movie Titan AE and have the player going after some last Earth relic/new earth home kinda deal while the race that killed off the humans hunts ya down.

I agree small focus is good, but I don't think your idea is that out there. Depending how far you go on the ship building aspect, merging it with exploration elements should be doable as a sole developer. Just watch out for feature creep as always. Keep it simple.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Ulu posted:

Making something dumb for candyjam to evacuate stress. Should be finished soon !

This looks fantastic and fun and I don't even know the half of it. I shown the gif to a non-goon and the only thing he said was "I wanna play that game."

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Remember that game I used to post here a few weeks ago? No not really? Well I decided to set the full version loose upon the world today. For free. It's not the prettiest thing around, it's probably not the funnest either, but by god it's finished.

Downloads if you feel inclined:
Windows Linux Mac

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Ulu posted:

Haha this is great.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Ulu posted:

I want to play this too, it looks great!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

dupersaurus posted:

That is my current plan; ship construction and simulation mechanisms first, then move on to the universe. But it is itching at me to have some notion of an end goal, and the two aspects aren't entirely disconnected.
Then go the other way. Start by making a super stripped down universe exploration game that's fun. Add the spaceship construction stuff later. If you try and bite off everything at once, you're screwed, you need to find a compelling central mechanic that everything else hangs on. If you make the spaceship constructor first, it needs to be satisfying in and of itself, without any goofy plot hung onto it. If you make the world exploration first, then the exploration needs to be satisfying, though that lends itself easily to a "find the foozle" goal. Mechanics first, no matter what.

Simple example: a year ago, I made a silly simple #onegameamonth platformer about a dude in a fedora with a revolver and a funky story... and now I'm making a noir mystery game with an Inspector Gadget revolver at the core of basically everything you do. When I find mechanics that don't tie back to: revolver first, noir second, platforming third? I cut them, viciously, and the game is always the better for it in the end.

EDIT: VV This is your big chance to turn it into a horse sex simulator. They gave you the perfect quote for a teaser video.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 1, 2014

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
My game has been featured in an article: http://cliqist.com/2014/01/31/this-is-not-a-horse-sex-simulator/
I've never heard of this website though.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Shalinor posted:

Then go the other way. Start by making a super stripped down universe exploration game that's fun. Add the spaceship construction stuff later. If you try and bite off everything at once, you're screwed, you need to find a compelling central mechanic that everything else hangs on. If you make the spaceship constructor first, it needs to be satisfying in and of itself, without any goofy plot hung onto it. If you make the world exploration first, then the exploration needs to be satisfying, though that lends itself easily to a "find the foozle" goal. Mechanics first, no matter what.

Simple example: a year ago, I made a silly simple #onegameamonth platformer about a dude in a fedora with a revolver and a funky story... and now I'm making a noir mystery game with an Inspector Gadget revolver at the core of basically everything you do. When I find mechanics that don't tie back to: revolver first, noir second, platforming third? I cut them, viciously, and the game is always the better for it in the end.

EDIT: VV This is your big chance to turn it into a horse sex simulator. They gave you the perfect quote for a teaser video.

That makes sense. I'll have to work through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

TomR posted:

My game has been featured in an article: http://cliqist.com/2014/01/31/this-is-not-a-horse-sex-simulator/
I've never heard of this website though.

Neither have I but hey free publicity is cool.