Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Now Sephiroth is just pissing me off with his ridiculous range and attack priority. Does anyone have any advice on how to beat him as Cecil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hakkesshu posted:

Lady Gaga being a Final Fantasy summon makes so much sense.

What would her attack be?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

Now Sephiroth is just pissing me off with his ridiculous range and attack priority. Does anyone have any advice on how to beat him as Cecil?

Take this with a grain of salt as I haven't played the game in quite some time, but all of Sephiroth's attacks are slow as hell and have huge recovery. Use faster attacks and guarding to take advantage of that. I think dodging is more likely to get you hit because of his range, so be careful with it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pesky Splinter posted:

By Lespretending.

You are a good poster.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

I've only played Duodecim, so if any of these moves don't exist in vanilla, then welp.

Anyway, Sephiroth's range is huge, but he doesn't have any real projectiles - he has a move that summons four orbs around you that slowly close in on you, but you can dodge that by just jumping and aerial dodging away. Cecil doesn't have any projectiles either, but you *do* have that weird shadow grasp move that outranges anything he has.

Try and bait him into attacking you at the edge of his range, then back-dodge or guard, then punish him. His moves all take an hour and a day to start up and then another hour to end, so if you can just get him to toss out attacks and make him come to you, you're golden.

Be careful if he gets above you, though - he'll go for the Aerith stab. That move has hells of recovery if he misses, but he also comes down super-fast for the actual attack part. That and his mid-air forward dash are the only moves that can really shock you as they come out, but fortunately both are pretty predictable - one goes straight forward, and the other goes straight down.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

raditts posted:

What would her attack be?
The Edge of Glory.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Endorph posted:

I believe you'll find that Futch is actually a malfunctioning cyborg.

So he's basically Wren form Phantasy Star, but with a dragon? I could get behind this. Gremio's not nearly as useful as Alys was though.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Am I the only one here who was horribly disappointed with FFTA? Like, I wasn't expecting anything as dark or interesting as FF Tactics, but I've given the game multiple shots and it just doesn't do anything for me. Enjoyed FFTA2 on the DS more, but it felt just as pointless.

Not the only one. I thought it sucked and story arguments aside, it's vastly inferior to FFT and the Tactics Ogre games, including the Knight of Lodis. I played it figuring it'd be more like Tactics Ogre since the engine looked like a wholesale rip of it, but it sucked. The laws could've been interesting but they were just a bullshit mechanic and instead of it being something FFT related, like basing it around Germonik and Ajora, it's some kids' fantasy world.

Zaphod42 posted:

Are we still doing shortened stories?

Final Fantasy Tactics - The Lannisters and the Starks are at war, some prince and his peasant friend fail to stop some political turmoil, and then his friend kidnaps a princess, but then they change their minds and kill the dudes he was working for. They kill one king and implicate another, the peasant marries the girl they kidnapped and becomes the king. Except she hates him and they pull a last minute reverse Romeo & Juliet and stab each other to death. Also the pope is Satan. The peasant gets all the credit and the prince is a heretic.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - Some stupid kids read a book and talk about videogames.

:cheeky:

Delita's stab wound wasn't fatal though?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I really liked FFTA (haven't really played the second), but I did not like FFT (either version, though the one I actually finished was WotL). Calculators are sweet, the rest is kind of boring. I thought everything about Tactics Ogre (I've only played the PSP remake) was better than FFT apart from no calculators and no dressing room, although a lifetime of people gushing over FFT has probably influenced that opinion pretty heavily.

And now I'll go back to playing through the FF3 remake for the second time.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
So I just watched that story trailer for LR that someone linked a few pages back (found somewhere else before I saw that). Some of those sprites had more feeling than any of the high-poly renders in the original game. Has anyone heard of a de-make of the newer FFs? I know there's (a bad) one that came up in Elentor's FFVII LP but haven't found much for later in the series.

e: clarified

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 1, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
There's a FF7 one, but it's done in the NES style and is really limited.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
That's the one I was referring to in Elentor's LP thread. Someone even started LPing it there but think they've taken a break or something.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
FFTA2 has barely a plot to speak of, but I remember the sidequests having some clever writing in them, and some of the equipment descriptions were actually pretty neat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

So I just watched that story trailer for LR that someone linked a few pages back (found somewhere else before I saw that). Some of those sprites had more feeling than any of the high-poly renders in the original game. Has anyone heard of a de-make of the newer FFs? I know there's (a bad) one that came up in Elentor's FFVII LP but haven't found much for later in the series.

e: clarified
I don't know about a full demake but I remember seeing a short little video that was a 16 bit version of the final battle from FF9. Of course, something like that probably exists for every FF game.

What I wanna see is a remake of FF12 in the Final Fantasy Tactics engine.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I know nobody cares about the FF3 remake and that it's bad and hard and terribly designed, so I'll try not to post about it too much while I'm playing through it.

That said, I'm doing a Four Job Fiesta-ish playthrough except I'm deliberately taking one of the worst classes from each crystal - Thief, Scholar, Evoker, and Magus (pretty sure I'm doing Magus, although Sage was given as an alternative when I asked about it before). I just finished getting through what I'd thought going in were the two main obstacles to this.

There's a part of the game where you have to use Mini, a level 2 white magic spell, to progress. Access to magic is based on character level, not job level, so you can switch any level 8+ character to White/Red Mage, rest to recover MP, cast Mini on the party, and switch back to your previous job, and you're done with required white magic portion of the game (until you want to switch back, I think, but that's the same process).

While you're mini, there's a dungeon where, being mini, you're expected to use magic (and therefore a team of mostly/all mages) to win. Instead, I ran through the dungeon with my four mini-Thief characters sitting in the back row, tossed three Antarctic Winds and one Zeus' Wrath at the boss, and ran back out with all the treasure. I don't know why this never occurred to me before, but I feel silly about it now.

So if you want to play this awful game and make it even harder on yourself, you can still get around this stuff with pretty much zero effort.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I finally beat Sephiroth is Dissidia. His attacks seemed pretty quick to me, at least his brave moves. What was happening, or at least what I think was happening was that he was breaking through my blocks, then attack me with after he finished his combo before I finished recovering. What I did was put Cecil in his aerial form, juggle Sephiroth with Cecil's circle attack, then unleash a square attack after I built up a lot of bravery. I was able to activate a QTE and used it to finish off Sephiroth.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Lady Gaga being a Final Fantasy summon makes so much sense.

Yes it does.

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat

YggiDee posted:

FFTA2 has barely a plot to speak of, but I remember the sidequests having some clever writing in them, and some of the equipment descriptions were actually pretty neat.

I would be up for an A3, but only if it explored more of what the heritors are and what their roll in Ivalice is. I actually thought that was one of the better parts of the postgame.

Oh, and the whole Frimelda questline was neat too. It was a welcome shift in tone from the silly main plot. Almost makes me think a different writer did that part.

Oh well...

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

NovemberMike posted:

Yes it does.

Technically, she's a boss, not a summon! Although I think Garuda was a summon in previous games? She also has awesome battle music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F6B5wS84CU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

PunkBoy posted:

Technically, she's a boss, not a summon! Although I think Garuda was a summon in previous games? She also has awesome battle music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F6B5wS84CU

Now somebody remix this with "Bad Romance".

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Don't know if we've talked about it yet but they released the trophy list for FFX and FFX2 HD

FFX

quote:

Gold
Master Linguist – Find all 26 Al Bhed Primers
Perfect Sphere Master – Complete the Sphere Grids for all Main Characters :stare:
Perseverance – Defeat Penance
Overcoming the Nemesis – Defeat Nemesis
The Eternal Calm – Defeat Yu Yevon

Silver
A Journey’s Catalyst – View “Eternal Calm”
Mega Strike – Deal 99999 damage with one attack
Chocobo Master – Get 5 treasure chest during the Chocobo Race at Remiem Temple and win the race
Sphere Master – Complete a Sphere Grid for one character
Blitzball Master – Unlock all slot reels
Learning! – Learn to use all enemy abilities
Summon Master – Obtain all Aeons
Weapon Master – Obtain all Celestial Weapons :bang:

X2

quote:

Gold
Giant Tower – Reach the 80th floor of Iutycyr Tower and defeat the boss
Monster Masher – Complete Shinra’s Bestiary :stonk: if this includes oversouls
Founder – Defeat Trema
Machine of War – Defeat Vegnagun
Sweet Perfection – Complete 100% of the main story

Silver
Tonberry’s Treasure – Obtain treasure in the Tonberry area
The Gunner – Reach the highest level (LVMAX) in Gunner’s Gauntlet
Full Chain – Achieve a 99 chain attack :confused:
Overkill – Deal 99999 damage with one attack :aaa: is this even possible in X2????
Chocobo Whisperer – Catch the Amazing Chocobo
Sphere Hunter – Obtain all Dresspheres
Dancing Queen – Obtain Magical Dancer, Vol. II

Fight Club Sandwich fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 1, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It is possible to do 99999 damage in X-2, but it's through a ridiculous series of shenanigans, equipment grinding and mascot usage.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

This will probably surprise no one, but FF15 and KH3 won't be out this year.
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/31/square-enix-responds-final-fantasy-xv-kingdom-hearts-iii-rumor-says-dates-placeholders/

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 1, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Don't know if we've talked about it yet but they released the trophy list for FFX and FFX2 HD

FF10 looks like a bigger pain in the rear end to plat.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It is possible to do 99999 damage in X-2, but it's through a ridiculous series of shenanigans, equipment grinding and mascot usage.

Forgot about mascot since it's so :shrug: compared to the other endgame setups considering it's prerequisites. Any of the mascot break damage limit attacks + cat nip isn't so bad now that I think about it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

FF10 looks like a bigger pain in the rear end to plat.

Agreed, X2 is basically 100% the game while X looks like 100% the game and then do dozens of hours of grinding on top of that.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

I guess it's very slightly more inventive than FFVII PC's achievements. But a lot more bullshit.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
There's an excellent chance I'm never even going to download FFX-2 with my Vita version of the game. I have it for PS2 and I think it retroactively ruined FFX for me for several years after playing it. Such a silly, stupid game.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

I am absolutey shocked that KH3, a game that didn't even start its development until last year, won't be out in 2014.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Weapon Master – Obtain all Celestial Weapons

Considering this is almost definitely just the weapons themselves, and not fully powering them up, this is not even remotely difficult. There's separate ones for a few of the sigils; the chocobo racing and 200 thunderbolts for example. Though the racing one is worded to sound harder than it is - the description says to get a time of 0:0:0 when it almost definitely means below it.

Oddly not one for the loving butterflies, though. Probably for the best.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Redoing Blitzball to get that Mars Sigil is going to be one of the worst experiences of my video game life.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Sefal posted:

Chocobo Master – Get 5 treasure chest during the Chocobo Race at Remiem Temple and win the race

I think this one is the most difficult. I have never been able to get all 5 chests and win

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Almost Smart posted:

There's an excellent chance I'm never even going to download FFX-2 with my Vita version of the game. I have it for PS2 and I think it retroactively ruined FFX for me for several years after playing it. Such a silly, stupid game.
How could it retroactively ruin FFX for you?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Back when I was young and stupid I went and tried to get all the FFX ultimate weapons. I managed to get the one for Tidus by winning that stupid chocobo race which was stupid and annoying, and then I got the damage limit remover so I was doing crazy numbers with just him. I tried to get the weapons for everyone else but it was boring and bad so I did not.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I was going to get the HD version, but then I started thinking that I put like 140 hours into FFX over a decade ago and did everything except kill Dark Yojimbo, Dark Anima and Penance. The whole "kill Dark Yojimbo five times" thing is what finally got me to stop playing, so maybe that's enough of FFX for me.

e: Also did 100% on X-2 (with a guide because gently caress doing it without one) but I don't remember how long that took.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I did all of the hardest FFX trophies back on the original version on PS2.

I'm just going to say I have a retroactive platinum because gently caress that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I like FFX-2 better then FFX by virtue of the fact that it has dress-up as its combat system.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
What's the difference between the original and new Sphere Grid system for FFX? I'll probably try the new system just because I used the original one ten odd years ago either way, but I'm curious.

Also FFX-2 was super fun to play so that's exciting.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

IIRC the expert grid has fewer nodes and starts everyone in the middle where you can do stupid poo poo like make Auron a white mage from the start.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

quote:

In the game's International and PAL versions, an Expert option is available at the beginning of the game. The difference between Normal and Expert is that in the Expert mode, each character starts in the middle of a completely different grid design. The player must then decide which path the character will follow. The abilities in both grids are the same (the normal grid is slightly different from the original grid, with extra branches and nodes to fit the new abilities), but the Expert grid has fewer nodes in total than the Normal grid (roughly 50 less), but it still contains enough nodes to maximize the characters' statistics.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Sphere_Grid

Basically, it's more flexible. I've only ever played with that one so I don't know what the normal one is like.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

International version is the one that has the dark aeons right? Is that the only way you'll be able to see those, probably?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

IIRC the expert grid has fewer nodes and starts everyone in the middle where you can do stupid poo poo like make Auron a white mage from the start.

Actually, for whatever reason, Auron starts out segregated from everyone else, just like in the normal grid. He can go down Tidus's or Wakka's path somewhat easily, but to go down anyone else's requires a lot more sphere levels.

It's pretty good for Khimari because he can go down anyone's path from the start, except Rikku's, which still requires a key sphere for whatever reason.