Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Sober posted:

You didn't recognize Robert Patrick, of all people?

Nope. I sort of live in a media bubble; most of the stuff I watch is via Netflix, and then it's things like train dramas from Uruguay. And I don't have, nor really want to get, anything more than basic cable. So, while I've seen Firefly a zillion times, most of the stuff just sails above my head. Mainly due to lack of interest and/or time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Things I did not enjoy about this episode:
  • useless guest stars
  • the "not game of thrones lol" stuff and references
  • abeds deaf girl
  • abeds not deaf girl that people love because ???
  • hickey and annies lack of chemistry
  • the very few jokes
I laughed once, ergo iza facto: this was not a good episode.

There was once a place where people who did not like certain episodes of Community were treated as second class citizens. People were not able to say "didn't like" without coercion to rationalize it even though others could say "did like." Even then they were still belittled and accused of heinous things that were not true.

That place? Apartheid South Africa, until Nelson Mandela fought a war so everyone could have a chill time.

thank you. love and peace.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
That post is funny if only because there was a guy earlier who was crying that the Season 4 thread treated him like a rabid dog because he dared to voice criticism about the episodes.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Season 4 thread was great because it was 2 months of patient (and sadly mod-enforced) simmering before the hate boiled over.

Qu Appelle posted:

Nope. I sort of live in a media bubble; most of the stuff I watch is via Netflix, and then it's things like train dramas from Uruguay. And I don't have, nor really want to get, anything more than basic cable. So, while I've seen Firefly a zillion times, most of the stuff just sails above my head. Mainly due to lack of interest and/or time.

That's some bubble if it excludes Terminator 2: Judgement Day and The X-Files.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 2, 2014

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Irish Joe posted:

That's some bubble if it excludes Terminator 2: Judgement Day and The X-Files The Sopranos

Even people who watched the last few seasons of the x-files don't remember them

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I honestly thought this thread was doing pretty okay up until this post.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Irish Joe posted:

That's some bubble if it excludes Terminator 2: Judgement Day and The X-Files.

It does.

I saw T2:JD a long time ago, but only once. As for The X-Files, it was when I was in college, and didn't have a TV at all. I've seen a few episodes since then, but not since this millennium. Even if I saw them recently, I probably would have still not recognized the guy. I am the anti-Abed.

I think that it's a credit to the showrunners that they can make something that's fun to watch, even if you don't know the Guest Stars. For a while, I even thought that Luis Guzmán was a fictional character.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 2, 2014

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

MrAristocrates posted:

I honestly thought this thread was doing pretty okay up until this post.

Take a few deep breathes and youll be okay

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

computer parts posted:

That post is funny if only because there was a guy earlier who was crying that the Season 4 thread treated him like a rabid dog because he dared to voice criticism about the episodes.

You're surprised that members of this forum would have persecution complexes?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Qu Appelle posted:

For a while, I even thought that Luis Guzmán was a fictional character.

I legitimately feel bad for you, bro.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
This thread becomes insanely retrospective after everything is said and done and there is a consensus formed from all over. I remember season 3 and season 4 for the most part this thread thought both were decent to really good. And only recently everyone is clamouring that both were terrible with some decent moments.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You're surprised that members of this forum would have persecution complexes?

Just like the apartheid state Israel

:mmmsmug:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Death By The Blues posted:

This thread becomes insanely retrospective after everything is said and done and there is a consensus formed from all over. I remember season 3 and season 4 for the most part this thread thought both were decent to really good. And only recently everyone is clamouring that both were terrible with some decent moments.

People only thought season 4 was "good" as it aired because Aatrek made it probatable to post any criticism so a lot of regulars got the gently caress out instead of dealing with that stupid bullshit :ssh:

Unsurprisingly, thread activity imploded.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Oh Snapple! posted:

People only thought season 4 was "good" as it aired because Aatrek made it probatable to post any criticism so a lot of regulars got the gently caress out instead of dealing with that stupid bullshit :ssh:

Unsurprisingly, thread activity imploded.

Maybe it also had to do with the season not starting until the spring and being half as long.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I enjoyed this episode a lot. I really like Annie and Buzz's plot. The other plot was more meh, but still enjoyable. Also, I really like a more subdued Chang.

Also, since John Oliver has left The Daily Show, do we know if he will be in the rest of the episodes this season? Because I hope that is the case.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

PassTheRemote posted:

I enjoyed this episode a lot. I really like Annie and Buzz's plot. The other plot was more meh, but still enjoyable. Also, I really like a more subdued Chang.

Also, since John Oliver has left The Daily Show, do we know if he will be in the rest of the episodes this season? Because I hope that is the case.

He's signed on to be in eleven of the thirteen episodes this season, and there's already been two episodes without him.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

He's signed on to be in eleven of the thirteen episodes this season, and there's already been two episodes without him.

No... that's Jonathan Banks. John Oliver is only back for 6 episodes, I'm pretty sure.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
John Oliver's acting is a solid 7. And that's a British 9

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

thexerox123 posted:

No... that's Jonathan Banks. John Oliver is only back for 6 episodes, I'm pretty sure.

Whoops, you're right. Wishful thinking, I suppose.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Everyone in this thread needs to just relax and fat dog for season 5.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I think John Oliver is in 7 episodes. The scene they shot for Geothermal Escapism was shot around his schedule.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I watched Herstory of Dance just for Brie Larson (recently saw Short Term 12, I really liked it); I thought it was ok, not a crime against TV but certainly not as good as anything from season 5.

I liked Brie Larson's character and I hope they actually use her in the rest of the season. I'm so glad Changnesia was dropped so harshly on season 5 (three mentions in the same episode? that was awful) and I hope I never hear "Britta'd" again.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

El Tortuga posted:

I legitimately feel bad for you, bro.

Thank you for your words of encouragement and support.

It's hard, yet somehow I feel the strength to go on. I may even go back and watch some X Files this week, because I did like the cameo he put in.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

radlum posted:

I watched Herstory of Dance just for Brie Larson (recently saw Short Term 12, I really liked it); I thought it was ok, not a crime against TV but certainly not as good as anything from season 5.

I liked Brie Larson's character and I hope they actually use her in the rest of the season.

Yeah, Britta's line earlier in the episode just reminded me of how they had Brie Larson on the show before then forgot about her, so I was pleasantly surprised when she showed up.

All the guests/cameos had a good line or two, except for Paget Brewster, it felt like she just came and went.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The reason they couldn't just say Game of Thrones is because they can't exactly put big book spoilers for Game of Thrones/ASOIAF on TV. Come on.

(Although I wonder if it will also factor into the new D&D episode.)

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

And ASOIAF isn't close to being finished, so it's not like they could spoil the ending anyways.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I just rewatched Herstory of Dance, and drat, I wish season 4 was as good as that episode.

Is Brie Larson going to be an actual character? Or was she 1 shot for the last episode?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
She has at least (and probably at most) one more episode this season.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

PassTheRemote posted:

It's not even really a subdued Chang. It's Chang from season 1.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I miss Season 1 Chang, he was weird but somehow cool; I loved that episode that featured his wife and him dancing and his role as the ultimate enemy in Modern Warfare was great. I wish I had a GIF of his entrance.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

V-Men posted:

It's not even really a subdued Chang. It's Chang from season 1.

Chang from season 1 is more subdued than Chang from any other season. One of the things I really disliked about season 3 was making Chang far too over the top. They really did need to reel the character back in.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ashpanash posted:

I think John Oliver is in 7 episodes. The scene they shot for Geothermal Escapism was shot around his schedule.

His schedule? What else is he doing?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They filmed these episodes in the fall. He was still on The Daily Show then.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

PassTheRemote posted:

Chang from season 1 is more subdued than Chang from any other season. One of the things I really disliked about season 3 was making Chang far too over the top. They really did need to reel the character back in.

I pinpoint "Monkey Gas" as the exact moment of Chang's downturn into unfunny stupidity.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Volume posted:

And he is about to have his own show on HBO.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Volume posted:

The Daily Show, his new HBO talk show, and his podcast which has to get recorded at weird-rear end hours because his co-host lives in the UK.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I laughed once, ergo iza facto: this was not a good episode.

There was once a place where people who did not like certain episodes of Community were treated as second class citizens. People were not able to say "didn't like" without coercion to rationalize it even though others could say "did like." Even then they were still belittled and accused of heinous things that were not true.

That place? Apartheid South Africa, until Nelson Mandela fought a war so everyone could have a chill time.

That's not cool.

Counterpoint: I laughed at this episode a lot. It was one of the funniest this season. The bird coming out of the wall had me in stitches.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Brie Larson in that last scene looked a lot like my ex girlfriend so I hate the episode and hope we never see that character again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
Did Abed ever say anything about Nathan Filion in the show? What would happen if he met Head Custodian Waite?

• Locked thread