Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Minionless Higher Necromancer kinda owns so far. I don't have many buttons yet, but I don't care that much because I'm teleporting around throwing death from my hands and eating souls like an evil badass. Next level I'll get Forgery of Haze and things will start to get really nuts. Looking forward to lichdom on this guy :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Oops. :unsmigghh:

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Well then. I'm impressed, I haven't managed to clear that room yet.

http://te4.org/characters/111123/tome/0fc95d57-9ee4-4c15-8121-6b6b992a5364 Anyone have any advice on what I should do with this Yeek Solipsist? I've been investing in Dream Forge stuff that does pretty good damage, cat pointed Nightmare for a big AOE sleep, and use Mind Sear almost every other turn unless I'm engaged with a boss-level Enemy. There is so much conflicting advice on how to build solipsists that I'm not sure where to take it; I hear Inner Demons is pretty amazing, and I plan on going Antimagic.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Level 42! Actually, 42 was a while ago, I just didn't notice.

Should I be getting Irresistible Sun? I've heard so much about it.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

At level 16? He wrecked me at 20 with a Defense oriented character, what's your secret?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

LordHippoman posted:

At level 16? He wrecked me at 20 with a Defense oriented character, what's your secret?
His secret is Oozemancer, really. (Also dungeons scale toward your level and Dreadfell's minimum level is 15)

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
An Oozemancer has a much easier time of getting this achievement, honestly, because the single nastiest things in Dreadfell at this low a level are the occasional Skeleton Master Archer. The fact that the Master can be poisoned honestly makes him a chump for Oozemancers, so the hard part is getting there.

Also of interest: The Master drops the Rod on his first death, which is why he's alive in that picture, and I also beat the Ambush afterwards. Oozemancers :v:

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
My first winner. :unsmith: The same Air/Arcane/Time Archmage I was talking about yesterday. You were right, global speed increase of 56% percent was important.

Gonna try a Cursed out. Time to go read some guides. Hopefully I can get him to the fortress because I got some good cursed-specific artifacts in the vault.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DancingMachine posted:

Gonna try a Cursed out. Time to go read some guides. Hopefully I can get him to the fortress because I got some good cursed-specific artifacts in the vault.
I have some advice for you for that.

Rampage rampage ramage rampage rampage rampage RAMPAGE RAMPAGE :unsmigghh:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Channel :black101: as hard as you can, and you will achieve all of your dreams.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Jowy posted:

Yeah, I don't disagree with this. It was more of a bitter jab at staff Reaver because of how stupid and boring it was only to get good at the point every other character becomes good anyways. :v:
Ah cool. Yeah it bugs me a bunch that the dual-staff Reaver is becoming the default, especially given how frustratingly un-fun their early game is.

Neat.

DancingMachine posted:

My first winner. :unsmith: The same Air/Arcane/Time Archmage I was talking about yesterday. You were right, global speed increase of 56% percent was important.
How did you find Feather Wind? (I think only 1/5 points means you didn't like it.) The move speed buff looks good on paper but I hardly ever see anyone use it.

I'd guess that the people who want +movespeed are not the same people who want to solve their problems using range 10 lightning bolts.

EDIT: man it's so much fun to be a Paradox Mage.

This is Cease to Exist allowing me to kill Urkis and then go back in time before he hit me with Hurricane. As a harmless but amusing side-effect, I get these achievements twice.

Dodge Charms fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 2, 2014

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DancingMachine posted:

My Cursed is currently the closest I've ever gotten to winning.

:black101: Rampage all day every day :black101:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Dodge Charms posted:

Ah cool. Yeah it bugs me a bunch that the dual-staff Reaver is becoming the default, especially given how frustratingly un-fun their early game is.
Neat.
How did you find Feather Wind? (I think only 1/5 points means you didn't like it.) The move speed buff looks good on paper but I hardly ever see anyone use it.

I'd guess that the people who want +movespeed are not the same people who want to solve their problems using range 10 lightning bolts.

It'd be great on some other classes, but Archmage doesn't really need movespeed - you have long range nukes and teleports, walking is for plebes.

I could see in on a more armored caster for the fatigue reduction though.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
It still kills me that the Temporal Warden (AKA 'time fighter, the class') gets only Haste while the Archmage gets Essence of Speed. Who do I have to kill to get the Temporal Tree moved to Paradox resources so TWs don't suck so much?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Magres posted:

It'd be great on some other classes, but Archmage doesn't really need movespeed - you have long range nukes and teleports, walking is for plebes.

I find it useful on my ABs for both the fatigue/encumbrance reductions and extra move speed (for when Rush AND Phase Door are on CD), but ABs are so goddamn starved for class points that I probably would only get around to really boosting it in the lategame. :smith:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Transient People posted:

It still kills me that the Temporal Warden (AKA 'time fighter, the class') gets only Haste while the Archmage gets Essence of Speed. Who do I have to kill to get the Temporal Tree moved to Paradox resources so TWs don't suck so much?

That's... uh... that's a certain kind of special that TMs don't get Temporal.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Magres posted:

That's... uh... that's a certain kind of special that TMs don't get Temporal.
Paradox Mages don't either; both classes use Chronomancy/x as their talents (Paradox as a resource) and Spell/Temporal uses mana.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Magres posted:

Yeah pretty much. I did find the the encumbrance lift useful as I am a bit of a pack-rat. But once I'm within range 8 I have a lot of buttons to press and teleport for when people get too close.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Paradox Mages don't either; both classes use Chronomancy/x as their talents (Paradox as a resource) and Spell/Temporal uses mana.

Give them a Paradoxified version of it :shrug:

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013
Paradox users can't get Manaclash'd to death, and Paradox talents can't be balanced by the threat of running out of Mana (accidentally or by force).

Speed Control / Haste is good, it gets you Essence of Speed levels of boost ... but it's not a sustain. Being a Shalore with Timeless means you can probably get Haste to last all combat, though.

Actually now I wonder how Haste interacts with Redux... hmm.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Magres posted:

It doesn't seem like a whole lot of movespeed anyway. 5 points for what, 7 percent? wooo. :geno:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Think of it like Archmages using their normal magic to brute force space-time while Paradox Mages and TWs use far more refined methods. The Temporal Tree doesn't really have anything on the level of the time fuckery that Paradox Mages have and in fact you could probably just rename the tree entirely and the spells would still make sense.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Dodge Charms posted:

Paradox users can't get Manaclash'd to death, and Paradox talents can't be balanced by the threat of running out of Mana (accidentally or by force).

Speed Control / Haste is good, it gets you Essence of Speed levels of boost ... but it's not a sustain. Being a Shalore with Timeless means you can probably get Haste to last all combat, though.

Actually now I wonder how Haste interacts with Redux... hmm.

Yeah, instead they are balanced around crapping out on you at the worst possible time. Paradox is an awful resource, really, and I wish it didn't have a straight up fail chance on the 'perfect threshold' for maximum spell strength. You're far more likely to die because your escape fizzled out on you than you are from eating a manaclash, let's be honest here. It's kind of why Haste sucks balls and Essence of Speed is great - do you want to open a combat by possibly skipping a turn against a monster you absolutely, positively need the speed boost for, or would you rather just have it inherently active all day erryday? I think the choice is obvious.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 2, 2014

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Zereth posted:

It doesn't seem like a whole lot of movespeed anyway. 5 points for what, 7 percent? wooo. :geno:
The percent goes up as you add points. 7% is what you'd get at one point. (It's not good documentation.)

Transient People posted:

Yeah, instead they are balanced around crapping out on you at the worst possible time. Paradox is an awful resource,
I dunno, Haste is a thing I can actually use at level 12, while Essence of Speed is 250 Mana off a bar which I can't afford to actually pay until level 30 or higher.

Endgame I guess it depends whether Paradox failure can be mitigated enough that that turn loss is not going to happen.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dodge Charms posted:

The percent goes up as you add points. 7% is what you'd get at one point. (It's not good documentation.)
But it... doesn't kick in until level 5, so why would :psyduck:

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

On one hand, that's a fair cop. On the other hand, I'd honestly prefer to have a 'capstone' talent I can get at 30 that makes the game into a powertrip than a talent that COULD save me against a strong enemy but also has a 3 to 5% chance of getting me killed when I really need it. If I knew how to edit TE4 better, I'd give fixing the TW a crack (the Paradox Mage doesn't really need much help if any, because they get every single good temporal talent, like loot rerolls).

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That reminds me, what would I do with skill and infusions/runes and such if I wanted to make a temporal warden with the express purpose of unlocking paradox mages? And didn't care if I made decisions which would literally kill the character immediately after that happened as long as it worked reliably until then?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Go pure archer, up Dex/Mag/Con, pick a standard ranged rune loadout (so a shield rune, a good regen infusion and a wild infusion I think?). TWs get a lot of ways to gain action advantage on enemies, from Slow to Haste to that passive ability that ups their movespeed by 10% per point, so you don't need a movement infusion except if you want stun protection. Up Stop until its area widens, max Slow ASAP, and of course take Haste. Get archery abilities and coast on the fact that a TW that forsakes half the class is actually halfway decent because he can take six turns per every turn the enemy takes and not give a gently caress about Paradox failure.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Transient People posted:

On one hand, that's a fair cop. On the other hand, I'd honestly prefer to have a 'capstone' talent I can get at 30 that makes the game into a powertrip than a talent that COULD save me against a strong enemy but also has a 3 to 5% chance of getting me killed when I really need it. If I knew how to edit TE4 better, I'd give fixing the TW a crack (the Paradox Mage doesn't really need much help if any, because they get every single good temporal talent, like loot rerolls).
It could probably be argued that Essence of Speed is currently too strong, but it doesn't personally bother me so :v:

In terms of TW, my tweak pack makes Speed Control use Willpower instead of Magic as the prereq stat, so you can just go Dex + Will to get all your talents. You'll still want Magic later for the Spellpower boost, since Speed Control still uses Spellpower for damage and status effects, but at least you can buy the drat things without splitting your stats five ways.

I'm also working on an advanced tree for TW and my addon class (the Heavy). How about a sustain which changes how Paradox failures work: if the sustain is on, your Paradox failure puts that talent on cooldown 1, but the failure does not cost you a turn.

That's not the same as the PM's Paradox Mastery talent, but it'd kinda be serving the same design space.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

psy_wombats posted:

I finished up the talents etc for cursed/puncher. Now just to balance and bugcheck everything! (I'm new at this so it could still be a while) There were a few weird things when trying to piece together the class though... Leaving Techniques/Grappling unaltered but having a grapple-based class doesn't really work because grappling is L10+. So instead of being grapple-based, the class just has a grappling option with an added, more synergistic tree. And combo points had to be shoehorned in because the tree that gives Unarmed Mastery has some random combo point skill at the end.

Grappling isn't a level 10 tree, though, it's just locked for a starting Brawler. I mean, that said I think you could do better than the grappling tree anyway - there's a reason it doesn't get used ever.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Dodge Charms posted:

Well "running out of mana" does exist with paradox, it just comes in the form of a huge explosion and your rapid death.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Dodge Charms posted:

It could probably be argued that Essence of Speed is currently too strong, but it doesn't personally bother me so :v:

In terms of TW, my tweak pack makes Speed Control use Willpower instead of Magic as the prereq stat, so you can just go Dex + Will to get all your talents. You'll still want Magic later for the Spellpower boost, since Speed Control still uses Spellpower for damage and status effects, but at least you can buy the drat things without splitting your stats five ways.

I'm also working on an advanced tree for TW and my addon class (the Heavy). How about a sustain which changes how Paradox failures work: if the sustain is on, your Paradox failure puts that talent on cooldown 1, but the failure does not cost you a turn.

That's not the same as the PM's Paradox Mastery talent, but it'd kinda be serving the same design space.

This is exactly what the TW needs (both reducing the need for Magic as much as possible so you don't need to invest in the MAG sustain and reducing the need for STR as much as possible so you can coast on 5/5ing the Strength boost for a while). If the TW had that talent and it had some other perk beyond just handing you back your turn in the event of a failure so it didn't end up a guarantee 1-point wonder, that'd be perfect. Probably should be a basic tree since TWs already have to unlock at least one if not two trees, but it's a very good idea.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Antimagic Arcane Blade :smuggo:

I really want to see if I can beat the game like this, since I'm now basically a lovely bulwark that can't use runes.

Interestingly, it looks like Arcane Destruction still works, since it's not technically a spell.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
I can't find the Golem Graveyard anywhere, is there some way to autotravel to it or something? Also I can't see the ingame chat at all, how do I get that to show up?

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I can't find the Golem Graveyard anywhere, is there some way to autotravel to it or something? Also I can't see the ingame chat at all, how do I get that to show up?
If you install zOmnibibus there's a "known landmarks" option in the escape menu which can take you to any place you've seen.

Otherwise you have to remember random spawn points were chosen for the randomly placed dungeons (and the hermit).

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Any advice for getting Shadowblades off the ground? I just loving whiff everything when I use abilities, even with a point in combat accuracy, and I keep getting stupid RNG deaths because they have no escapes, no tank, and no damage early game.

Like I've lost two characters (okay, thrown away because I refuse to play characters if I die pre-5 or if I die twice pre-10) because I keep getting Rare Snake spawns in Norgos Lair. Can't manfight them because I'm squishy and have no damage, can't run away because I have no escapes. It's really frustrating, and somehow I doubt Scintillating "loving awful clusterfuck of teleporting, nuking enemies' Caverns will be any better.

Maybe I should just go back to Cursed :shrug: They have a slow early game but at least they come with (if you play Cornac) a built in 'get the gently caress out of dodge' button from level 1.

Magres fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 2, 2014

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Magres posted:

Any advice for getting Shadowblades off the ground? I just loving whiff everything when I use abilities, even with a point in combat accuracy, and I keep getting stupid RNG deaths because they have no escapes, no tank, and no damage early game.
Can you get to level 4?

If so:
- Stealth 1 + Shadowstrike 1
- Illuminate 4

10: Put Stealth on "auto-use when available".
Hit 'r' until your talents are available.
Hit 'z'.
Stopped? Great! Cast Illuminate.
Everything in LoS is now dead, goto 10;

Bosses will not die, but they will go blind, so just stay out of their sight until Stealth and Illuminate are cool enough to use again.

When you level, put more points into Shadowstrike.

This will buy you enough time and XP to try other things.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I actually even rushed Illuminate :smith:

Snake Rares are just the devil, I guess.

E: Yep. Got a Snake Rare immediately on my Cursed, literally can't even hurt it, even kiting with Rampage. This is moronic

E2: Actually on my way out, noticed I had some spiked armor. I forgot how loving great damage whenever things hit me is, I can just ram my face into stuff with a regen on and it dies to my spikes.

E3: Oh god and now I found a Scorching Lantern. I had honestly completely forgotten how much 'slap the gently caress out of anything that touches you' items completely and utterly dominate early game. Shadowblade would be a breeze to get to 10 with spiked mail and a scorching lantern, this is ridiculous. But clearly, RNGesus wants me to play Cursed because I'm getting bomb rear end early game items to cover my terrible early game.

E4: Oh god I got Tooth of the Mouth and now things are one or two shotting themselves on my ridiculous aura of "DO NOT loving TOUCH ME" and I'm just sprinting through levels cackling like a maniac. This is amazing. KILLDOZER IS BACK IN ACTION :black101:

Magres fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 2, 2014

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
If you want a semi-tanky Shadowblade, start a Cornac and put your first cat point into Temporal, work your magic up so you can get Time Shield to 5/5 asap, after that go back to working on the other stuff. Time Shield is amazing for early game, especially on the squishier classes.

Edit: as a bonus, this also lets you get Phase Door up to controllable status early on, saving you from a lot of stuff that Time Shield can't keep up with, or just plain bad situations.

Keru fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Nikolaos posted:

Well "running out of mana" does exist with paradox, it just comes in the form of a huge explosion and your rapid death.

Meh. I won with a paradox mage on nightmare difficulty and had 1800 paradox at one point during the final fight (in temporal form though) and my failure rate was still perfectly manageable. Having a high paradox is annoying but not such a big deal if you know what you're doing. You get many anomalies, but very few of them were actually really detrimental (many were actually useful) and the backfires are anoying but easily managed by high temporal resistance.

quote:

Have you tried just autoexploring on the world map? For the ingame chat: make sure you're logged in.

• Locked thread