Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

nvining posted:

Please direct all questions to our trailer video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x1iLpQjULA

Ah right, I'd forgotten about that bit. And now the trailer is being passed around like crazy among my friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If there are children in the game, I really hope there are toy shops. Just make sure ol' Geppettorque doesn't get too bothered by the fact he never had a child of his own.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If there are children in the game, I really hope there are toy shops. Just make sure ol' Geppettorque doesn't get too bothered by the fact he never had a child of his own.

No. Make sure that he does get bothered, and channels all that frustration to other, unhealthy ends.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Anticheese posted:

No. Make sure that he does get bothered, and channels all that frustration to other, unhealthy ends.

What could possibly be unhealthy about taking several urchins who were lobotomized for Science and thus are now a drain on society and using them to make one functioning child?

"Father, we were never your puppet. We have always belonged to Quag'garoth."

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 25, 2014

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

"My new dolls are made from perfectly normal parts! and an orphan

"Your toys are powered by a forsaken child!?"

"Not the whole thing!"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

nvining posted:

Oh, I dunno, let's monetize that.

For those not keeping track of my Twitter: I'm doing some cult programming today because I've been doing frantic UI stuff for long enough and I want to add some color to the proceedings. Consequently, after joining the Fraternity of the Squamous Polyp, Milicent Cog proceeded to rename her refinery to "The Crucibles of the Enfleshened Lump" and is now churning out what I think is maddening charcoal.

So if I use this to barbeque with, will it produce maddening (but delicious!) BBQ? Will the smoke from the fire drive men insane? :allears:

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

A note to everyone that really wants to play the pre-alpha right now: you know those early access games that have almost no features and don't really resemble a full game?

Well, imagine that except with even less playability. That said, the enthusiasm is heartwarming :v:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

nvining posted:

Oh, I dunno, let's monetize that.

For those not keeping track of my Twitter: I'm doing some cult programming today because I've been doing frantic UI stuff for long enough and I want to add some color to the proceedings. Consequently, after joining the Fraternity of the Squamous Polyp, Milicent Cog proceeded to rename her refinery to "The Crucibles of the Enfleshened Lump" and is now churning out what I think is maddening charcoal.

How will the madness affect future usage of the charcoal?

Like, will the maddening charcoal just drive people mad who work with it? or
Will it get refined into maddening gunpowder that drives people mad when using it? or
Will the product of something made with maddening charcoal have completely different effects than normal? (Guns that shoot eldritch fire!?)

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Daynab posted:

A note to everyone that really wants to play the pre-alpha right now: you know those early access games that have almost no features and don't really resemble a full game?

Well, imagine that except with even less playability. That said, the enthusiasm is heartwarming :v:

Hey I've been playing Starbase DF-9. They just got hunger more than five rooms!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Yep, also been playing a bunch of DF-9 and Rimworld... some of us love playing the alpha early access games and helping them evolve!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Daynab posted:

On the other hand you guys aren't asking us to pay $24.99 on steam for this so enthusiasm is naturally higher

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

$24.99 is beta price. $69.99 is more alpha these days.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I really enjoy playing Alpha games (in short bursts I guess I wouldn't make a great playtester).

Just seeing what each patch adds or changes and how the balance of the game shifts. It's just fascinating to see. Also really helps you understand developer logic once and awhile.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I mailed you. Would it not be a vining at gaslamp etc. ?

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

What is like posting in a thread?
A Ballista, that's what!
I think I emailed you? I might have emailed a non-existent email address. I always get confused by spam avoidance. It cripples my spam business.

Edit: Yeah that email definitely doesn't exist. Maybe I'll try (name and such)@gaslampgames.com instead of @gaslamp.games perhaps

Pozzo fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 25, 2014

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
edit: nevermind. sorry!

Watommi fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 25, 2014

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Tias and Pozzo, sent you both PMs.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

$24.99 is beta price. $69.99 is more alpha these days.

Several of the hilariously priced alphas on Steam lately are a result of devs milking Kickstarter for alpha access, there's no reason you can't make alpha generally affordable or ever lower than your launch price.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Tias and Pozzo, sent you both PMs.

They're sorted out now. Thanks!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Today we learn about The Power Of Names.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Your bonus e-mail reminder: Stahlmarkian Spies are watching you! Fear the Iron Menace!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I love that little map of Australia. I hope the game world gets expanded on and we have a wholly lovecraftian world biome specific horrors everywhere. Sail to Canada to see the weird fishmen and evil penguins. For baby snatching dingo's you should sail for Australia, and in the dark heart of Africa you can find the most hostile fauna in the world. And avoid Mexico entirely, goddamn Aztecs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

I love that little map of Australia. I hope the game world gets expanded on and we have a wholly lovecraftian world biome specific horrors everywhere. Sail to Canada to see the weird fishmen and evil penguins. For baby snatching dingo's you should sail for Australia, and in the dark heart of Africa you can find the most hostile fauna in the world. And avoid Mexico entirely, goddamn Aztecs.

I think that's actually supposed to be the south pole. Australis is just Latin for south.

That it appears to be connected to South America is understandably confusing though.

Also, Das Maschinengroßherzogtum Stahlmark would obviously have to be a simulator game.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 29, 2014

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

nvining posted:

Your bonus e-mail reminder: Stahlmarkian Spies are watching you! Fear the Iron Menace!

Lovely!

...Does Gaslamp already have someone set up to write the tabletop RPG that just screams to be made from this game?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Demiurge4 posted:

I love that little map of Australia.

OwlFancier posted:

I think that's actually supposed to be the south pole. Australis is just Latin for south.
It's neither and kind of both! :v:

Terra Australis is like the dark matter of cartography - a completely hypothetical place that was put on maps entirely by artistic license based on an Ancient Greek theory that all the northern continents needed some kind of southern counter-weight. In fiction, Terra Australis bordered the entire southern end of the Indian Ocean, which is why it's shown as forming a land bridge between America and New Guinea.

Australia derives its name from this specific legend of a large continental landmass rather than just the Latin for south - "Australia" for some time referred to everything in the Pacific until it was put forward as a formal name for Australia alone because it was the closest they'd found to a real Terra Australis continent. A few years later they discovered Antarctica. :v:

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Terra Australis is like the dark matter of cartography....

This just blew my mind. All my life I thought the phrase was "Magna terra australis"

This is what happens when children pay more attention to the wittering of bards than to their schoolbooks.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3mkidP2OUCk

Totally grouse song, though.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Seventh Arrow posted:

That was like a decade ago :psyduck:

I'm still mad at Intel over the Pentium 4. That they insist on continuing to label things they make :airquote:graphics cards:airquote: doesn't help, either.

nvining posted:

I never get the emails for some reason :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

Terra Australis is like the dark matter of cartography - a completely hypothetical place that was put on maps entirely by artistic license based on an Ancient Greek theory that all the northern continents needed some kind of southern counter-weight. In fiction, Terra Australis bordered the entire southern end of the Indian Ocean, which is why it's shown as forming a land bridge between America and New Guinea.

Australia derives its name from this specific legend of a large continental landmass rather than just the Latin for south - "Australia" for some time referred to everything in the Pacific until it was put forward as a formal name for Australia alone because it was the closest they'd found to a real Terra Australis continent. A few years later they discovered Antarctica. :v:

I seriously did not believe that the idea of the Counterweight Continent was based on real life, I really should know Terry Pratchett better than that.

At least that explains why it's connected to South America.

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

What is like posting in a thread?
A Ballista, that's what!

Munkeymon posted:

I never get the emails for some reason :(

Try checking your settings on the mailing list thing at the website, I didn't get them initially until I worked out I hadn't ticked the right box.

Should I be doing anything with this figurative golden ticket? I've just been watching the video over and over again

monkay
Aug 5, 2012

The official sad poster
Reading the newest post, and being lead back to the storytelling as game design post has made me think of something.

Will my colony remain as a little town forever, or will it be possible for me to progress to a city-like colony, with towers, and airships carrying goods between districts?
I couldnt find anything about it, so I'm just assuming out colony will remain a town with houses, storefronts, and factories.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Pozzo posted:

Try checking your settings on the mailing list thing at the website, I didn't get them initially until I worked out I hadn't ticked the right box.

Should I be doing anything with this figurative golden ticket? I've just been watching the video over and over again

Did your name get struck off the list? Then no further action is required of you at this time. :silent:

monkay posted:

Will my colony remain as a little town forever, or will it be possible for me to progress to a city-like colony, with towers, and airships carrying goods between districts?
I couldnt find anything about it, so I'm just assuming out colony will remain a town with houses, storefronts, and factories.

You should be able to grow things to a pretty nice level, but we're sort of focusing on doing one thing right as opposed to a Spore-like model of "lots of different stuff". You're sort of capped at about 300 citizens due to the cost of simulating the citizens (for now, anyhow) as well as the logistics of trying to manage 300 unstable idiots who would like nothing more than to go off and start worshipping that thing in the woods. So we'll see.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nvining posted:

Did your name get struck off the list? Then no further action is required of you at this time. :silent:

Just to double check, I never got a return email or any further communication since I sent my email. Is that about what I should expect?

Is this just a mind game? :ohdear:

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."

Volmarias posted:

Just to double check, I never got a return email or any further communication since I sent my email. Is that about what I should expect?

The horrors in the game are fictional. The only true horror is the cruelty of man.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Volmarias posted:

The Emperor'sQueen's new e-mail can only be viewed by the Sufficiently Fashionable. Perhaps a visit to the haberdasher is in order.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I'm noticing a lot of Pleasing Intersection between Tom Francis's game design approach and Gaslamp's storytelling-as-design.

And Nicholas, I left a quick primer on Russian names in the comments of the last blag. IANAR, but it's what I've learned through Russian lit over the years.

OwlFancier posted:

Also, Das Maschinengroßherzogtum Stahlmark would obviously have to be a simulator game.
I Am Experiencing Efficiency: A Gaslamp Games Simulation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nvining posted:

You should be able to grow things to a pretty nice level, but we're sort of focusing on doing one thing right as opposed to a Spore-like model of "lots of different stuff". You're sort of capped at about 300 citizens due to the cost of simulating the citizens (for now, anyhow) as well as the logistics of trying to manage 300 unstable idiots who would like nothing more than to go off and start worshipping that thing in the woods. So we'll see.

Considering 100 is a lot of dwarves to manage in dwarf fortress, I have no idea how I'd deal with 300 potential cultists.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Well I'd imagine having a UI will probably help.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
That's elf talk, boy.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Please make it take 24 hours to chop down the first tree unless you pay 20 Clockwork Gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Carecat posted:

Please make it take 24 hours to chop down the first tree unless you pay 20 Clockwork GemsGears.
Fixed that silly sentence.
Also, please don't listen to this man :ohdear:

• Locked thread