Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
"'America The Beautiful' is a song about unity, which is why it's an outrage to hear foreigners singing OUR song!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I believe you mean "ARE song".

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sorry the commercial wasn't politically correct enough for you conservatives. Maybe you should just ignore stuff you find offensive. :smugdog:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Didn't someone get fired from MSNBC for suggesting that there would be negative reaction from the right wing for an advertisement that promotes the mingling of the races?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Radish posted:

Sorry the commercial wasn't politically correct enough for you conservatives. Maybe you should just ignore stuff you find offensive. :smugdog:
I do legitimately want it to become a thing that people start calling out conservatives as having their own brand of political correctness. Insisting on calling all rich people "job creators" (when many of them are variously "just guys with lots of money" or "active job-destroyers") is way more out there than saying "mail carrier" instead of "mailman."

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
George Zimmerman wants a re-match and since Trayvon is unavailable he's decided to go with the next logical choice: Kanye West.

TMZ posted:

George Zimmerman wants to beat up Kanye West ... ironically because the rapper has a history of attacking "defenseless people."

Promoters for Zimmerman's upcoming celeb boxing match tell us he badly wants to step in the ring with Yeezus. The promoters are deliciously Machiavellian --- knowing for many it will become a choice between 2 evils ... thus becoming a must-see spectacle.

We're told George's beef with Kanye is not just that he attacks paparazzi ... but the innocents as well -- like the 18-year-old who allegedly called Kim an "N***** lover."

Innocent as the driven snow...

Source.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Guilty Spork posted:

I do legitimately want it to become a thing that people start calling out conservatives as having their own brand of political correctness. Insisting on calling all rich people "job creators" (when many of them are variously "just guys with lots of money" or "active job-destroyers") is way more out there than saying "mail carrier" instead of "mailman."

It is already, particularly over the last year - mainly because people these days are sitting up and taking notice of the shallow hypocrisy underlying the right wing's favorite canards. Where have you been? :allears:

The main thing is that the whole 'political correctness' thing is really just a cover for the right to play the victim on issues of racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. - while themselves whining about ARE NATIONALISM and ARE CHRISTIANITY and ARE JOB-CREATORS and an incessant insecure obsession.

Internet Webguy posted:

"'America The Beautiful' is a song about unity, which is why it's an outrage to hear foreigners singing OUR song!"

Oh boy! I love me some vintage early 20th century nationalism. After all, that brand of nationalism worked out SO loving WELL LAST TIME YOU FUCKS.

Internet Webguy posted:

George Zimmerman wants a re-match and since Trayvon is unavailable he's decided to go with the next logical choice: Kanye West.

Source.

That's just sad and disturbing.

I hope no one's paying attention to zimmerman other than the sick spectacle of seeing how a murderer turns a child's life into 15 minute measly minutes of fame.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 3, 2014

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Internet Webguy posted:

Source.

Maybe Tyson will come out of retirement.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Internet Webguy posted:

I'll fight him. I've got a pretty wicked hangover cooking and I'd fight him right now.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
George Zimmerman vs. Kimbo Slice. Someone make this happen please.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Internet Webguy posted:

Source.

Kanye should do this, fully consent and agree to a fight, let George get a couple punches in, then shoot him in the chest and go home.

Because apparently that's a valid thing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
There's no image more encapsulating of the entire GOP movement at this time than Rush Limbaugh considering Las Vegas "realsville". Unskew the universe ya'll.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Ape of Naples posted:

Maybe Tyson will come out of retirement.

Tyson would eat him alive. Literally.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
What's more representative of the GOP than some unholy monstrosity out in the middle of the desert that must leech off the precious limited resources of everything around it to survive. With an infrastructure that could have only been possible with the help the federal government.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Gozinbulx posted:

What's more representative of the GOP than some unholy monstrosity out in the middle of the desert that must leech off the precious limited resources of everything around it to survive. With an infrastructure that could have only been possible with the help the federal government.

This is a lot of cities, but Vegas is definitely characterized by homebuilding for its own sake, which Republicans continue to believe can sustain a local economy on its own and isn't a guaranteed and devastating bubble.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
All the Coca Cola ad comments are filled with Tower of Babel references. :v: Funny seeing as how in the Tower of Babel story everybody spoke ONE language, not many.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Also what the gently caress is Zimmerman poo poo? Is this guy REALLY going to become famous all on the fact that he murdered a kid in cold blood and got away with it? At least OJ had the decency to hide away from the public eye.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yes but God's curse in the Babel story was to set humanity at each other's throats trying to murder one another instead of working together to build society.

Tolerance and peace spite our Creator. More blood for the blood god!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Gozinbulx posted:

Also what the gently caress is Zimmerman poo poo? Is this guy REALLY going to become famous all on the fact that he murdered a kid in cold blood and got away with it? At least OJ had the decency to hide away from the public eye.

You're gonna need to cite what you're referring to. :allears:

E: wow I'm blind as gently caress

Phone fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 3, 2014

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Phone posted:

You're gonna need to cite what you're referring to. :allears:

Internet Webguy posted:

Source.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gozinbulx posted:

It's worse, he's trying to be famous and make money off of killing Trayvon. Maybe he'll run for office some day. And win.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

It's worse, he's trying to be famous and make money off of killing Trayvon. Maybe he'll run for office some day. And win.

Joe the Plumber 2.0: now with more Freep cred!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Hasn't stopped arsonists in the past present.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

OAquinas posted:

Joe the Plumber 2.0: now with more Freep cred!

But Joe said that deep down, Americans knew they wanted a white president, not a mestizo :colbert:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Gozinbulx posted:

Yes, and no OJ didn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_I_Did_It

But OJ was black and killed a white woman. Hard for middle America to get behind him on that.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Rappers with a history of attacking defenseless people? Someone notify Chris Brown, I smell a tag-team match brewing.

This is Florida, after all.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Darkman Fanpage posted:

All the Coca Cola ad comments are filled with Tower of Babel references. :v: Funny seeing as how in the Tower of Babel story everybody spoke ONE language, not many.

If anything the breakdown in common logic and perspective is more representative of a 'Babel' destruction of Modern Civilization, far more so than the sounds expressing those ideas.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I thought The Game had volunteered to box Zimmerman, but the promoter's probably gonna ignore that because The Game is 6'4/200+lb and would probably lay Zimmerman out in short order.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
DMX also politely volunteered his services.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I want this to happen.

I also kept reading the comments DMX made in the voice he makes while rapping.

(DMX owns).

So this is kind of borderline here. But the show "24" is back, and I was kind of curious if anyone else here thinks it comes off as borderline propaganda for the right?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FuzzySkinner posted:

I want this to happen.

I also kept reading the comments DMX made in the voice he makes while rapping.

(DMX owns).

So this is kind of borderline here. But the show "24" is back, and I was kind of curious if anyone else here thinks it comes off as borderline propaganda for the right?

As opposed to before where it wasn't? :v:

I listened to an old episode of Idle Thumbs and they talked a bunch about torture in video games and in last year's Splinter Cell. 24 has done a poo poo load of rhetorical damage.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Phone posted:

As opposed to before where it wasn't? :v:

I listened to an old episode of Idle Thumbs and they talked a bunch about torture in video games and in last year's Splinter Cell. 24 has done a poo poo load of rhetorical damage.

I looked back on the show, and was kind of amazed that someone would depict torture in the way they do.

I also feel awful that the Muslim people in this country got to be portrayed as villains on it as well. I mean, it's not as if 9/11 wasn't giving them enough problems within this country?

It just seems like it was a vehicle to promote bush-era "WAR ON TERROR" policies. I guess Glenn Beck, Rick Santorum, Karl Rove, Rush Limbaugh and a whole array of wonderful people enjoyed the show, so there's that as well.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

FuzzySkinner posted:

I looked back on the show, and was kind of amazed that someone would depict torture in the way they do.

I also feel awful that the Muslim people in this country got to be portrayed as villains on it as well. I mean, it's not as if 9/11 wasn't giving them enough problems within this country?

It just seems like it was a vehicle to promote bush-era "WAR ON TERROR" policies. I guess Glenn Beck, Rick Santorum, Karl Rove, Rush Limbaugh and a whole array of wonderful people enjoyed the show, so there's that as well.

Don't forget Scalia. :eng99:

Antonin loving Scalia posted:

“Jack Bauer saved Los Angeles . . . . He saved hundreds of thousands of lives,” Judge Scalia reportedly said. “Are you going to convict Jack Bauer?” He then posed a series of questions to his fellow judges: “Say that criminal law is against him? ‘You have the right to a jury trial?’ Is any jury going to convict Jack Bauer?”

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, they brought that up too that politicians were referring to Jack Bauer as a Real Person.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Phone posted:

Yeah, they brought that up too that politicians were referring to Jack Bauer as a Real Person.

The Bush years were some seriously messed up times. I wonder if that's the line that future historians will point to and go "this is where they lost the plot"--you can certainly find threads and previous examples in the 80s and 90s, but it all came together in one big nativist xenophobic poo poo tapestry during that time.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

OAquinas posted:

The Bush years were some seriously messed up times. I wonder if that's the line that future historians will point to and go "this is where they lost the plot"--you can certainly find threads and previous examples in the 80s and 90s, but it all came together in one big nativist xenophobic poo poo tapestry during that time.

If I were to track it back to the beginning, I'd have to say that the US started to go formally crazy around the time that Jack Kennedy first got elected.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sir Tonk posted:

What else are they going to run on this year?

Lower taxes, repeal Obamacare, help "job creators"...

Edit:

I knew it as soon as i saw it

quote:

Executives at Coca Cola thought it was a good idea to run a 60 second Super Bowl ad featuring children singing "America the Beautiful" – a deeply Christian patriotic anthem whose theme is unity – in several foreign languages. The ad also prominently features a gay couple.
Conservatives instantly lit up social media with objections, with many vowing to boycott the soda company's products.
“If we cannot be proud enough as a country to sing 'American the Beautiful' in English in a commercial during the Super Bowl, by a company as American as they come — doggone we are on the road to perdition," said former GOP Rep. Allen West.

Unity.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 3, 2014

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm over my mom's place and she's listening to some right wing radio station. Maybe it's Savage, I'm trying not to pay attention. But whoever it is is railing against the Coke commercial. He said something to the effect "do you think you could sing the national anthem of China or Russia or France in English? The people would riot!" So, are those three countries the right wants to emulate? Would that make them better than us? Ignoring for a minute that they don't have the history of immigration that the US has. I couldn't understand his point.

VVV To be honest I don't know if he said "anthem" or not but the implication is the same. I'm not sure the best term. National song?

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 3, 2014

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I must have missed when "America the Beautiful" became the national anthem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Whoever gets it I hope Floyd Mayweather puts their rear end in a 12 week fight camp.

Or that idea where Kanye just shoots him in the chest after letting him land a punch.

Argh you got me