Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've never been the biggest fan of the show, but for me that was easily the worst episode of the worst season so far. The tag line was funny at least, but the rest of it was just awful. They couldn't think of a funnier way to get them in the party beyond 'nearly hit by a car'? If you're going to do 'The Cosbys Meet Stevie Wonder' 30 years later, at least approach it in a knowing way rather than playing it completely straight.

I'm with the earlier posters re: Coach. I was glad to see him recast because I miss HE so much, but it's been so bad it just makes me miss that show even more because he's being so badly written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I lost my poo poo at the very end when the butterfly started following him again.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Wasn't a big fan of this episode, there was too much gushing about Prince and not enough funny bits. Also i almost didn't recognize Prince, i must not have seen him since the 90's.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wow. That episode was terrible. Just terrible. I got teased by my friends for liking this show and talked them into just watching it after the Super Bowl and now I'll probably never hear the end of it. Way to make me look like a fool New Girl. At least B99 made me look a little better.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Solice Kirsk posted:

At least B99 made me look a little better.

I love Fox for giving B99 a post game slot, but who decided to put it on AFTER New Girl? It even started with a football game which was a perfect run on. It was a great episode, didn't veer too much from the normal run (while making it inviting for new viewers) and used stunt casting in an effective way. It was a far, far better episode than NGs and I can only hope that by the time they were both available, the orders had been decided and everyone felt a bit foolish.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah, that was an incredibly bland and mediocre episode. Really disappointing. At least B99 was on fire, though.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
Oh man they poo poo the bed. At least there was some funny side stuff but drat and the Brooklyn Nine Nine episode was so good.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
I love it. During episode plus maybe 15 minutes after, everyone loves it. After that point, every post talks about how god awful it is.

Well I still loved it. I just rewatched it. Coach freaking out a little during the post party scene was awesome.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I still like it too, cliched and TV-showy as it was. gently caress the haters.

Guacamayo posted:

was that a callback to chappelle show?

It's not even the first callback Prince has done.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Seriously, no love for Winston's "...I LOVE YOU!!!"?!?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

raditts posted:

I still like it too, cliched and TV-showy as it was. gently caress the haters.

Yeah, they broadened the humour a bit for the audience they were expecting, but it was still genuinely an episode of New Girl. Fire+Ice slayed me, it's nice to see Coach and Winston being hilarious together as a team.

Prince has a trained butterfly.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

hope and vaseline posted:

Yeah, they broadened the humour a bit for the audience they were expecting, but it was still genuinely an episode of New Girl. Fire+Ice slayed me, it's nice to see Coach and Winston being hilarious together as a team.

It was funny. Not the funniest ever, but :shrug:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

hope and vaseline posted:

I think my favorite thing about the episode is that not once did I doubt that Prince did anything in the episode that he doesn't regularly do in his day-to-day life. I can totally buy that he has a trained butterfly that follows him around.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

raditts posted:

I think my favorite thing about the episode is that not once did I doubt that Prince did anything in the episode that he doesn't regularly do in his day-to-day life. I can totally buy that he has a trained butterfly that follows him around.

Prince may be the only person alive that can do literally anything and it seem completely reasonable.

He could be going to the supermarket dressed in a lavender silk toga in a platinum chariot pulled by two white tigers and I'd accept it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Usually when shows bring on a musical guest it's some marginal act that everyone is acting waaaay to excited about. "WHOA ITS THE TOADIES".

But, If there's one act that people of all ages, creeds and colors can agree on, it's Prince.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
I think for me it's not that the episode itself was bad (though I definitely think it was the weakest this season), it's that Prince can't really act. I understand why they cast him and I like him like anyone else with a pulse and a soul, but it felt mostly like a gimmick. In the end it was just Prince being Prince and people interacting with Prince who's really Prince did I mention Prince?

It felt like individual jokes were funnier than the episode as a whole. Maybe it's just the tired "someone says I love you, the other person freezes (but really really loves them)" and the romcom 'character is on the stage during a musical show and expresses their undying love' thing coupled with Prince's unability to act. I have to admit though, I completely lost it when Prince and Jess were in the closet, and when Cece beat him at ping pong and he just ended up ragequitting.

Honestly if they had brought on Dave Chappelle to play Prince it would have made the episode 100% better and possibly the best one of the season.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Prince is such a 90's thing, it just felt like every character had to gush about him because he was on the show, it was forced and unrealistic.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

Twee as gently caress posted:

I think for me it's not that the episode itself was bad (though I definitely think it was the weakest this season), it's that Prince can't really act. I understand why they cast him and I like him like anyone else with a pulse and a soul, but it felt mostly like a gimmick. In the end it was just Prince being Prince and people interacting with Prince who's really Prince did I mention Prince?

It felt like individual jokes were funnier than the episode as a whole. Maybe it's just the tired "someone says I love you, the other person freezes (but really really loves them)" and the romcom 'character is on the stage during a musical show and expresses their undying love' thing coupled with Prince's unability to act. I have to admit though, I completely lost it when Prince and Jess were in the closet, and when Cece beat him at ping pong and he just ended up ragequitting.

Honestly if they had brought on Dave Chappelle to play Prince it would have made the episode 100% better and possibly the best one of the season.

The reason the whole episode was focused on Prince is because I think he approached New Girl about being in an episode because he's a fan and you don't say no to Prince. So they wrote an episode that revolved around him even though he can't act. He pretty much cast himself in this episode. It wasn't like they had been planning a Prince episode and were able to land him for the part.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I was happy with the episode. Superbowl episodes are always ratings stunt-y so I suppose I didn't have the highest hopes. I mostly just hoped it would be a fun thing to watch after the game and that my friends who were new to the show wouldn't hate it, and I'd say it succeeded.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Oasx posted:

Prince is such a 90's thing, it just felt like every character had to gush about him because he was on the show, it was forced and unrealistic.

Pretty much. Hell, I grew up in the 90s and the only Prince song I know is Purple Rain and the only Prince song I like is

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The problem with mega stars going on TV as an extended cameo, is that there really aren't many places to go that aren't bland. You can't risk alienating the person coming on TV, and you really have no idea what will piss them off. Also, regardless as to whether or not the star WANTS to be on the show, they/their reps likely are going to have a lot of say in what jokes are used, or even controlling the premise.

Unless Prince told the writers/producers to just go hog wild, there really was no room for this to be a good episode. What we got was probably what Prince wanted: he wanted to insert himself into those character's lives. Not only did he get to do that, but he got to be a pivotal part of their lives: he got Jess to say she loved Nick.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Pretty much. Hell, I grew up in the 90s and the only Prince song I know is Purple Rain and the only Prince song I like is

batdance

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can't believe so many people are hating on Prince for gently caress's sake.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

zoux posted:

Can't believe so many people are hating on Prince for gently caress's sake.

Seriously. I don't even like Prince and I like Prince.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Irish Joe posted:

Even if you don't like you Prince, you at least know Little Red Corvette, Raspberry Beret and 1999.

And that episode was pretty mediocre. As much as I love New Girl, parts of it are starting to irk me. Such as Prince would have been better as a shorter cameo and the most blatant Ford product placement ever.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I've always thought New Girl does really solid product placement. Winston's "Faux Scape" was good and Nick showing off the "wave foot under the boot (trunk?)" thing seems like something a normal human would do. Jess modelling the car etc etc.

Nicks face and Jess' fingerguns were the highlight of the episode for me.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't even know how you can complain about the product placement in this show. Seriously. If you're going to promote a product on your show, you might as well go whole hog and get weirdly sexual about its gas mileage.

EDIT: VVV And that was awesome! VVV

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 4, 2014

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
You guys appear to forget the episode where Jess models for Cece and it's a several minute Ford ad basically.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Television is a business that needs to make money????? Wha??????

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

All the television that I watch makes enough money to exist and none of it usually has blatant ads shoehorned into the script.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
If it even helps even a little to justify keeping the show around I'm okay with it. The modeling thing was hilarious and something that a model would actually do so nothing wrong with that. Would it have been better if she was modeling a Canyonero? This one felt more shoehorned in but still allowed for some pretty funny jokes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Phylodox posted:

He came off as the most human mega celebrity I've ever seen. I don't know if he's actually like that or just an amazing actor but it seems like he rolled up to the set and just befriended everyone and had a blast being in a show he loves.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
You know what really sucks? The product placement where they stop the action, and have people who aren't even in the show talk about products. And then the show starts up 2 minutes later and they act like all that never happened.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

You know what's awesome? How product placement helps keep our favorite shows on the air. Cause I like New Girl. A lot.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

New Girl handles it pretty well at least. If it gets to a "Bones" level of idiocy then I will start to mind.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Phylodox posted:

I definitely don't like Prince, but I feel compelled to defend Prince. He transcends man and is an existence, a force of nature. Like a hurricane. But not violent like a hurricane. More sensual.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sash! posted:

I definitely don't like Prince, but I feel compelled to defend Prince. He transcends man and is an existence, a force of nature. Like a hurricane. But not violent like a hurricane. More sensual.

A CycLove? A Hearticane?

One more!
A Monswoon?

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 5, 2014

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Sash! posted:

He transcends man and is an existence, a force of nature. Like a hurricane. But not violent like a hurricane. More sensual.

This is about the best explanation of Price you can get.

I liked him in the episode and like someone else said, he's one of the few celebrities you can imagine doing ridiculous things as the norm. Such as having a trained butterfly

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Lots of complaining about the Superbowl episode and not enough love for Jess' finger guns as the limo pulls away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Just do away with commercials entirely. Take those eight minutes and use them for lingering shots of Microsoft tablets and comedy bits about sexualizing gas mileage.

EDIT: Do what Community did and let Subway buy an entire episode (while still maintaining creative control of said episode). Eat fresh!

• Locked thread