Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Misc posted:

I completely disagree. Hello Rockview sounds like it was recorded through a tin can. The worst you can say about the production of Losing Streak is that it's kind of uninteresting, sonically. I think we have this conversation once every six months.

Well what else are we going to talk about now that Throwdown is over, BTMI (and Action Action [and the Refused]) are loving dead and Streetlight is a decade away from their next album?

Speaking of, how was BTMI everyone? I haven't heard back from my buddies that went so I assume it was so good that it forced them into a coma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donges
Aug 4, 2012

I'd rather be vomiting and I despise vomiting. Blegh!

seventeen posted:

Speaking of, how was BTMI everyone? I haven't heard back from my buddies that went so I assume it was so good that it forced them into a coma

Yeah it was basically that good. They played like a 3 hour set I think?? Pretty much hit all the favorites, as well as Showerbeers (twice) and some of a Papa Roach cover that they rewrote to be about pizza.

At the end everyone got really teary eyed and there was a confetti cannon and hugs.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It was a really really fantastic show. I can't wait for the recording of it. They even played King of Minneapolis pt. IV, which is my favorite song of theirs.

Don't suppose anyone has any extra of the shirts they were selling, or would be willing to sell theirs off? The ATM at the venue wouldn't accept my card, and I really wanted one of the shirts :(

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is the recording video or audio?

Rabin_Crabmink
Mar 23, 2001

I hate them all except Turtleface.
It was one of the best shows I've ever been to. So much fun!

bowmore posted:

There were two cameras filming the whole thing, so maybe there will be video also!

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

bowmore posted:

Audio I guess, but the guys that are doing that documentary were filming both nights.

donges
Aug 4, 2012

Oh yeah, I forgot - they also played the entirety of Get Warmer (the song), which, as far as I know, they basically never do because of the billion names of places Jeff needs to sing at the end. It was incredible.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MondayHotDog posted:

Audio I guess, but the guys that are doing that documentary were filming both nights.
Awesome.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

seventeen posted:

Well what else are we going to talk about now that Throwdown is over, BTMI (and Action Action [and the Refused]) are loving dead and Streetlight is a decade away from their next album?
I guess you guys are without hope but I'm going to talk about Mad Caddies in the meantime.

Mad Caddies news:

quote:

We're very close to finishing our new album, and we are planning on an April release date. We will be performing new songs at all of our upcoming shows, so come test out the new material with us!

An official release date and more North American shows will be announced very soon, so check back here for updates.

Fans in TX, CO, NJ, NY, UT, NV, AZ, WI, IL, MI, OH, PA, VA, QC, and ON, stay tuned! We're coming your way in April and May.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So is this really the end of BTMI?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Fingers crossed.

Play Boston, Mad Caddies. I haven't seen you since 04 warped tour. Get on it.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

It's the end of them being a touring and album recording band.

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/bomb-the-music-industry-is-dead-probably-theyre-not-sure-but-yeah-whatever-probably

donges posted:

Yeah it was basically that good. They played like a 3 hour set I think?? Pretty much hit all the favorites, as well as Showerbeers (twice) and some of a Papa Roach cover that they rewrote to be about pizza.

At the end everyone got really teary eyed and there was a confetti cannon and hugs.

I was considering taking out a high interest loan on Friday to go to Brooklyn, probably should have.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Cut my XL Hawaiian into pieces/this is my last resort?

donges
Aug 4, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Cut my XL Hawaiian into pieces/this is my last resort?

Cut my slice into pieces/this is my plastic fork.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Kennisiou
Jun 5, 2013

tnimark posted:

The only Less Than Jake album I have is Hello Rockview and I love it. Which one should I get next?

I know that this is five days old but if you're still looking for suggestions I actually want to add that Pezcore is pretty freaking amazing and second that you can't really go wrong with LTJ except for In With The Out Crowd (and that I personally find Borders and Boundaries to be a pretty dull album -- if it had been put out by a smaller band than LTJ I'dve been impressed, but with LTJ I frankly feel like except for one standout song the entire album is lacking compared to the rest of their stuff).

Also, yeah sure I've never posted on SA and you guys don't know poo poo about me and stuff, but I guess this is me just trying to prove I've got the cred to hang with the cool kids by repping some local bands who I've been getting into recently.

So have you guys heard of Umbrella Bed? I'm sure anyone who's big in the MN Ska scene probably knows about them since they've been around almost as long as The Toasters, but I found out about them a couple years back at a Roller Derby match and have been into them since. They just put out a new EP a couple months back and they've got a music video for a song you guys should check out. Check it out or don't.

Also, The Thundertones who don't have any music videos up but have some cool songs. They've got the sort of silly bitterness of Reel Big Fish, but while Reel Big Fish kind of occasionally comes off unfocused and juvenile these guys actually are clearly bitter about specific things in their songs, which to me comes off as a lot more palatable (personal favorites of mine being 4 Dead Chords and Down Means Up).

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

You're in the MN ska scene? How about 3 Minute Hero? I got a friend out there who wants me to listen to all these MN ska bands.

And if you are actually my pal Adam, sup dude.

Kennisiou
Jun 5, 2013
Not Adam, but have probably bumped into him at a show once or twice (literally if he likes mosh pits).

3 Minute Hero I actually have yet to see live. Every time I see one of their shows I'm busy or broke. Just bad luck. I've heard good things and checked out their songs and they're pretty tight, but from what I've heard they're best live, so I guess I've yet to really have the 3 Minute Hero Experience.

But yeah, MN ska is pretty great. Thundertones and Umbrella Bed are the two major standouts to me that are still together. Sajak and Rocksteady Breakfast were also both pretty great but are sadly no longer performing or recording. Drunk History and Secondhand Ska Kings are both pretty new on the scene and I expect good things from them, but Rocksteady Breakfast was like that for a while and they basically produced great live shows and great music for a couple of years and then kinda just stopped abruptly. If you've got any other friends telling you to check out MN ska bands do it! Minneapolis is one of, like, four cities in the US that still has an active and thriving ska scene, and it produces some pretty awesome stuff that more people should check out.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I'm guessing you know about this too then https://www.facebook.com/MNSKA

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have a free code for The Gooch Palms - Novo's if anyone wants it just PM me. (I know it's not exactly ska but I like you guys better than the punk guys)

Kennisiou
Jun 5, 2013

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I'm guessing you know about this too then https://www.facebook.com/MNSKA

I read the blog but never actually followed the facebook page. I just corrected that.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
The re-mixed and re-mastered version of BTMI's Adults! is up on Spotify, it sounds amazing. I picked up the red, white & blue vinyl version at the last two shows but don't have a turntable to listen to it with yet.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MondayHotDog posted:

The re-mixed and re-mastered version of BTMI's Adults! is up on Spotify, it sounds amazing. I picked up the red, white & blue vinyl version at the last two shows but don't have a turntable to listen to it with yet.

I would literally kill a man in order to be able to download this because holy poo poo. I love the original partly because of how rough it sounds but it's ten times better with a decent mix. There's so much more poo poo going on that you just couldn't hear before.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

In ska news, Mad Caddies are touring. And coming to the east coast for like the first time in forever. Gonna drive to NY for this. So if you're an east coaster, you should find a date to go to unless you wanna hope they're still a band in 8 or so years when they come around again.

https://www.facebook.com/madcaddiesofficial/events

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

I would literally kill a man in order to be able to download this because holy poo poo. I love the original partly because of how rough it sounds but it's ten times better with a decent mix. There's so much more poo poo going on that you just couldn't hear before.

For the most part, the new mix and master is a vast improvement, but there's some hard guitar panning here and there that isn't ideal for headphone listening. Sounds great on some good speakers, though.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Is Spotify the only place to listen to it?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

nerve posted:

Is Spotify the only place to listen to it?

For right now, yes, but:

quote:

Jeff Rosenstock ‏@jeffrosenstock 5h
There's all kinds of chances in this world. "@DickeyeSmash: @jeffrosenstock any chance of the remix of Adults!!! going up for download?"

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Arrrrgh Jeff is awesome! My copy of Adults! arrived today and it is awesome! Also he put in a copy of Bruce Lee Band - Community Support Group 7" that I didn't even pay for but wanted so much! :dance: gently caress yeah

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

SLAPSHOT MERELY OK posted:

In ska news, Mad Caddies are touring. And coming to the east coast for like the first time in forever. Gonna drive to NY for this. So if you're an east coaster, you should find a date to go to unless you wanna hope they're still a band in 8 or so years when they come around again.

https://www.facebook.com/madcaddiesofficial/events

Thanks for the heads up! I was probably going to head to Pouzza Fest to see them, and might still do that anyway, but they're playing the loving Barbary in Philly? YES PLEASE.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Not one stop in my state. gently caress you :mad:

Ricecop69
Mar 7, 2003
Mustard Plug has a new album that came out on 1/14/14. Surprised no one mentioned it here, it's called Can't Contain It. I just found out today, has anyone listened to it?

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I'm listening to it on Spotify right now! It's pretty drat good and really fun! Plus, Cheap Girls namedrop on the second track.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Ricecop69 posted:

Mustard Plug has a new album that came out on 1/14/14. Surprised no one mentioned it here, it's called Can't Contain It. I just found out today, has anyone listened to it?

It was mentioned here, that's how I knew about it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Anybody have any clue on when the BTMI! final show recording is supposed to hit?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CodfishCartographer posted:

Anybody have any clue on when the BTMI! final show recording is supposed to hit?

Nope. No idea if/when the Adults remaster will go up for download either.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I'm not sure if this has been posted (it's a little old) but I found this song on an old sampler I downloaded like 2 years ago

Kids Can't Fly - Esmeralda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUjn6WE3s1c

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If anyone didn't pick up Mustard Plug's new album, it's currently $5 at Amazon MP3: http://www.amazon.com/Cant-Contain-Mustard-Plug/dp/B00HES8QRU/ref=sr_1_89?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1392985184&sr=1-89

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

If you haven't gotten it, do it. It's good.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
FYI, Chris Murray is going to be doing a set this Friday in Williamsburg: https://www.facebook.com/events/794454677236339

It's the same night as the Marathon reunion, but he's going on close to midnight, so both are possible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

Ricecop69 posted:

I thought the album was..disappointing, to be honest.
I liked their last ''in black and white'', but this album is just..boring.
It's not bad, but also not good. It's pretty boring..I guess I'd call it an average album.