Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

This is absolutely, unequivocally, the wrong thread.

Yeah, while I will agree that Deadmau5 is terrible I do think that people should take cars less seriously and wrapping a lovely Ferrari California can't really be hurting anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Does your car have a turbo? Can you silence the exhaust, but stick a big rear end blow off valve on it? .

Uthor fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 4, 2014

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Fayez Butts posted:

Yeah, while I will agree that Deadmau5 is terrible I do think that people should take cars less seriously and wrapping a lovely Ferrari California can't really be hurting anything

That's a 458, not a California.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
You're all missing the easiest solution, which is to simply remove the offending exhaust system and inform them of this fact. Wear earplugs while you drive.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

You're all missing the easiest solution, which is to simply remove the offending exhaust system and inform them of this fact. Wear earplugs while you drive.

Thread-appropriate solution.

I'd add flamethrowers to boot, if it were me.

Also fitting: whistle tips. :v:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

You guys are making me want an aftermarket exhaust just to annoy these sorts of people. I have a couple country club communities near me, I think it might be nice to go up there for a evening drive, say around 1am?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What kind of car/exhaust is it anyways?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
There is a street near me where they installed speed bumps in an effort to stop the 'hoons' going down their precious street and making noise.

The road is used the same amount as before (because you know, its a road that leads somewhere and people want to go to that place) except now everyone slows right down and slowly goes over the bump before flooring it to the next one then repeating the process all the way down the street.

It's loud.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Uthor posted:

Does your car have a turbo? Can you silence the exhaust, but stick a big rear end blow off valve on it? .

It is turbo yeah. The last time they complained about this I put on a small glasspack, they continued whining, then I had to purchase a Skunk2 silencer. Then I ripped the silencer out (took some serious brute force with a slide hammer) and installed an SSQV.

I ordered another silencer. I'm not happy about it though, it hurt my performance noticeably last time I had one on.

drukqs fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 4, 2014

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

drukqs posted:

It is turbo yeah. The last time they complained about this I put on a small glasspack, they continued whining, then I had to purchase a Skunk2 silencer. Then I ripped the silencer out (took some serious brute force with a slide hammer) and installed an SSQV.

I ordered another silencer. I'm not happy about it though, it hurt my performance noticeably last time I had one on.

Doesn't anyone make a switchable cut-out? The SW20's exhaust is such a simple system I feel like you could have something welded up by a local shop for a couple hundred or so at the least.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Das Volk posted:

Doesn't anyone make a switchable cut-out? The SW20's exhaust is such a simple system I feel like you could have something welded up by a local shop for a couple hundred or so at the least.

They make electronic ones, as well as manuals. A buddy of mine has a manual one in his LSX powered 80 corolla, and it's rad. Think about a cable actuated clutch, but with a cutout at the end of the cable.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I've heard the cable operated ones are quite prone to seizing because of poo poo materials though.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

tobu posted:

There is a street near me where they installed speed bumps in an effort to stop the 'hoons' going down their precious street and making noise.

The road is used the same amount as before (because you know, its a road that leads somewhere and people want to go to that place) except now everyone slows right down and slowly goes over the bump before flooring it to the next one then repeating the process all the way down the street.

It's loud.

I've got a street like this near me and people do the same thing. I've wondered if anybody bothered to check out whether it was having the desired result of slowing down speeds or not. I can't complain too loudly though because seeing the "Speed Hump" signs still make me giggle.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

kastein posted:

Your neighbors sound like mine, except instead of blocking you by parking in the middle of the road they whine to the landlord? police? their parents? about it.

I'm not sure which I prefer but I'll trade you so we can each experience a different kind of terrible neighbor who whinges about not-very-loud exhausts in an unreasonable manner.

Without knowing the details I'm not sure why are all siding with this guy and against the neighbors. I live in a townhouse complex, we used to have neighbors with an Integra that had some giant rear end exhaust on it that woke up literally every single one of us at 5am every morning when he idled it for 20 minutes.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Industrial posted:

Without knowing the details I'm not sure why are all siding with this guy and against the neighbors. I live in a townhouse complex, we used to have neighbors with an Integra that had some giant rear end exhaust on it that woke up literally every single one of us at 5am every morning when he idled it for 20 minutes.

You and me both dude. I know I don't miss the first 5 years after the first F&F movie came out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Industrial posted:

Because my exhaust is literally quieter than it was for the 4 months before they started being douchebags about it, they block a public road by parking in the middle of it to prevent me from driving by their house (at 7am, when most normal people are awake already), and I was starting it up and idling by in a grand total of maybe 20 seconds.

Meanwhile ricers fartcannon up and down every road within half a mile 24/7 and are many times louder than what I drive and they do absolutely nothing about that. Neither do I, because sleep like a normal person and I'm not playing princess and the pea with exhaust noises.

I might be projecting a bit since I'm going through the same bullshit, but I feel the dude's pain. gently caress whiny neighbors.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Wow you can even see the fedora wearing dork in the reflection. Awful.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SaNChEzZ posted:

They make electronic ones, as well as manuals. A buddy of mine has a manual one in his LSX powered 80 corolla, and it's rad. Think about a cable actuated clutch, but with a cutout at the end of the cable.

Electric ones are where it's at. My dad had a QTP electric on his '01 Z28. I think he would've eventually put a pair on his C6 were it not for the factory in-muffler cutout option they came out with in... '08? Can pick up a set of those for less than one electric cutout.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Bovril Delight posted:

This is absolutely, unequivocally, the wrong thread.

Haha yeah man, Nyan cat is the funnies, maybe there'll be the grumpy cat on the hood?! I'll be ROFLing all day long!!!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Octopus Magic posted:

Haha yeah man, Nyan cat is the funnies, maybe there'll be the grumpy cat on the hood?! I'll be ROFLing all day long!!!

Fitting custom title. This isn't done to be "the funnies", it's a total lark.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Octopus Magic posted:

Not liking something is fine and all, but unless you think your opinion is objective fact then not liking something doesn't make it awful. It looks like a well done job. Sure, it's retarded, but it's not awful.

And that donk from the last page wasn't anywhere near awful. I live in the south. I've seen awful donks. That wasn't one of them.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Industrial posted:

The whole thing began because these people keep a yappy terrier of some sort out in their front yard in a chain link cage. The dog launches into barking fits when I start my car.

Thing is though, the dog barks when people walk down the street, the dog barks when any other noisy car goes by (this is easily the busiest street in town,) the dog barks even when there's complete silence. It's crazy. They are infamous on our block for subjecting everybody to this racket.

I've driven noisy cars in this area since I was 16, now all of a sudden it's a huge issue for these people, that's what makes this whole thing so difficult for me to get on board with. But it's a dead issue, I'm having another lovely silencer overnighted from Japan. (amazon)

drukqs fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 4, 2014

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Buy a box of Hearos ear plugs and put it next to their door with a passive aggressive note wishing them a good nights sleep. Just say that you decided against replacing your exhaust after all and with all the money you saved you figured you could buy them a giant box of ear plugs so they could sleep comfortably.

E: Alternatively build a 20 foot tall wall to soundproof your driveway like they build next to some highways.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Industrial posted:

I'm with you, buddy. Didn't realize this forum is filled with angsty teenagers, ironically advocating murder towards people who complain about their loving noisemakers.

I moved into a rowhome and now get to my garage through an alley. Some places are rentals, and people seem to come and go on quarterly basis. Among them are deuchebag kids will rev the piss out of their civic/integra/whatever peashooters. Just being associated with that crowd is nauseating. Plenty of us have loud cars/bikes, but everyone is polite enough to roll out of the alley with minimum throttle.

I understand that some exhausts are sold as a loud straight pipe. I'm sure you get maximum horsepower out of your street driven race car or whatever it is you have. But all that extra performance really worth annoying people that live hear you? Or everywhere else, because believe me, you're affecting way more people than you think.

drukqs posted:

The whole thing began because these people keep a yappy terrier of some sort out in their front yard in a chain link cage. The dog launches into barking fits when I start my car.

Thing is though, the dog barks when people walk down the street, the dog barks when any other noisy car goes by (this is easily the busiest street in town,) the dog barks even when there's complete silence. It's crazy. They are infamous on our block for subjecting everybody to this racket.

I've driven noisy cars in this area since I was 16, now all of a sudden it's a huge issue for these people, that's what makes this whole thing so difficult for me to get on board with. But it's a dead issue, I'm having another lovely silencer overnighted from Japan. (amazon)
Order an extra silencer for the dog

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 4, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

drukqs posted:

Is your exhaust legal? gently caress 'em.

Either that or send them an invoice for the exhausts and time you have spent.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nitrox posted:

I understand that some exhausts are sold as a loud straight pipe. I'm sure you get maximum horsepower out of your street driven race car or whatever it is you have. But all that extra performance really worth annoying people that live hear you? Or everywhere else, because believe me, you're affecting way more people than you think.

On the other hand, a necessary concession to living in dense housing is that sometimes people are gonna make noise. I'm sure running my vacuum is annoying to the neighbors too but I gotta keep the place clean and they need to accept that.

As long as it's not going for hours when people are trying to sleep, it's fair game. Complainers can go buy some noise cancelers or go visit a library if they need quiet.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I lived next to two 13 storey apartment building being built when I was in college to save money on rent. Its made me completely immune to racket. I hear it, but I'm able to enter some sort of mostly sleep state and power through it.

drukqs I could be your neighbour I will give you a thumbs up from my bed and then roll over and not care

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Not liking something is fine and all, but unless you think your opinion is objective fact then not liking something doesn't make it awful.
"Think"? Oh, you.

(I do like it. Supercars are meant to be slightly silly, and I imagine it irritates a certain type of Ferrari owner, which is A-ok)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

xzzy posted:

Complainers can go buy some noise cancelers or go visit a library if they need quiet.

Or do what people like me who loving hate that poo poo do....move far enough outside of town to be able to afford a place where you don't share walls with anyone else and have enough space for it to not be an issue.

I'm not sure why anyone who lives in the same high density housing as I have would think they have a special entitlement to control their neighbors. If you don't like it loving move or adjust. This is what living in close proximity to other people is very often like unless you live in a gated and/or age-restricted community (and yes, that gate may very well be your net worth.....life isn't fair, stop crying).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Motronic posted:

Or do what people like me who loving hate that poo poo do....move far enough outside of town to be able to afford a place where you don't share walls with anyone else and have enough space for it to not be an issue.

I'm not sure why anyone who lives in the same high density housing as I have would think they have a special entitlement to control their neighbors. If you don't like it loving move or adjust. This is what living in close proximity to other people is very often like unless you live in a gated and/or age-restricted community (and yes, that gate may very well be your net worth.....life isn't fair, stop crying).

My mother's neighborhood is terrible. I painted a set of wheels just after high school (rattle-canned, very classy) and someone in the cul de sac complained to the association about it. Over painting wheels in the driveway.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
The apartments I just moved from had some flavorful automotive characters. I used to have a neighbor who drove a lifted Cadillac on 26"s that would always come through right around 3 or 4 in the morning. He would even drive the posted speed limit of 5! You think to yourself "Oh that can't be too bad..." The problem was he would always have whatever the popular rap song of the week was, blaring from his system. While it wasn't anything impressive, the 4 12" subs were strong enough to make the trunk shake violently. While cruising through the apartment complex. Doing 5 miles an hour. I lived on the opposite end of the entrance and so did he. I got to enjoy this serenade probably 4 times a week. Another was the lady who would lean on her horn. Every morning monday through friday, this elderly lady would come by and pick up her daughter for work. 7 a.m., without fail, BEEP. BEEP BEEP. BEEP BEEP BEEP. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. I would gladly take a car person with a decent car or project as a neighbor any day of the week.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I used to live in a triplex and at the time I only had a motorcycle, so of course I was commuting on it every day. The girl in the upstairs unit had some sort of parakeet or parrot-like bird and it would loving tweet day in and day out, which could be heard throughout the house.

This girl would regularly run outside when I was getting my gear on and chastise me for firing up my bike in the morning. At 8 am. It was on stock exhaust, not loud at all.

I attempted to placate her by riding it down the driveway into the street before firing it up, but to no avail - she would continue to complain whenever she was given the chance. Eventually I gave up and started firing it up right next to her window, because gently caress you if you can't handle a small amount of noise at 8 am on a weekday.

This girl would also regularly park us in by parking at the very beginning of the driveway, which at that point is only one car width wide, while two or more people were parked in the parking spots behind the house. This happened to me once during a snow storm which occurred the day before I was supposed to leave for a road trip. Solution? After banging on her door to no avail, I called a friend with a jeep and we simply dragged her Geo Prism halfway into the street so that I could get around her.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Go Bubb Rubb on them and get some of those "whistle tips," from a few years back....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5K7uh0iVDs#t=30 for smooth woo-woo mix

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

The great American roadster...

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That's a crown vic which is body on frame so it's not quiiiiiite as bad as if it was a unibody car

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Actually, it's a 2nd gen (92-95) Taurus.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
"is"? You guys are taking as many liberties with the definition of that word as Bill Clinton did. I believe the proper term is "was".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

kastein posted:

"is"? You guys are taking as many liberties with the definition of that word as Bill Clinton did. I believe the proper term is "was".

If anything, chopped up as it "is" is a definite improvement over the lovely domestic boat it "was".