Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Also, I should probably point out that I work on Fedora and upstream GNOME on a day to day basis, and several other people browsing this thread are Red Hat employees, so if you're having trouble, I can try to help.

I genuinely forgot about SUSE and Mint, but from what I hear they're good distros too. I've never used them, though.

The tens of thousands of OSes based on Linux is kind of an annoying one, and it can be hard to choose. I'd just pick one with a coin toss and not give too much thought to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Suspicious Dish posted:

Also, I should probably point out that I work on Fedora and upstream GNOME on a day to day basis, and several other people browsing this thread are Red Hat employees, so if you're having trouble, I can try to help.

I genuinely forgot about SUSE and Mint, but from what I hear they're good distros too. I've never used them, though.

The tens of thousands of OSes based on Linux is kind of an annoying one, and it can be hard to choose. I'd just pick one with a coin toss and not give too much thought to it.

Now, that makes for a good reason to choose Fedora, because this thread then becomes a very good first port of call! :)

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Any tips on getting a clean gaming experience with wine? My old ATI card jitters even with the fglrx drivers, but I hear NVidia has much better compatibility with Ubuntu. Any resources on the subject? Recommendations?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The only annoying thing about OpenSUSE is that you need a third party repo to add the good font smoothing.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Cheekio posted:

Any tips on getting a clean gaming experience with wine? My old ATI card jitters even with the fglrx drivers, but I hear NVidia has much better compatibility with Ubuntu. Any resources on the subject? Recommendations?

I've always found crossover linux to be a great help in getting windows games and apps running without any fuss. I believe it doesn't do anything vanilla wine can't do, but I like the one-click setup personally.

There's a free trial too. https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-linux/

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Riso posted:

The only annoying thing about OpenSUSE is that you need a third party repo to add the good font smoothing.

As far as I know, the recent version of freetype used in 13.1 essentially means you don't need the infinality patchset anymore. This mailing-list thread links to an improvement in freetype commited by Adobe, which should make the patches unnecessary: http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2013-08/msg00103.html

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like the "what distro should I use" questions would be solved in the op was written in this decade. It's literally 7 years old at this point, I'm certain that Linux has had some progress since then.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Want me to make a new thread then?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I've tried crossover and had good results before. Any thoughts on hardware? I guess I'm hoping that switching an ATI card for an NVidia one will make all the difference, as people play modern games on Wine without issue, but I can't find any reliable resources on the subject.

edit: Holy poo poo, this thread's OP was written in 2007. Christ.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'll say that I used Crossover and while it worked, I found I could get better performance out of Wine. Though my problems stemmed more from games being Steamworks and requiring that hurdle to be crossed in addition to the game itself.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Ugh. Someone knocked over our lab desktop (running Ubuntu 13.10). It was still running but stuff clearly wasn't working, I tried to shut it down but the system hanged (somewhere between killing Compiz and closing the windows, it appeared) so I did a hard power off. It didn't detect the hard drive on reboot so I took a look inside, the SATA cable was a little loose, so I fixed that. But now things are a little weird.

This is all from memory since I was already rushing out the door when this went down, I can write out the error messages tomorrow if need be:
After logging in, I just got the desktop image and the cursor, no icons, unity stuff, nothing from Ctrl-Alt-t, etc. I checked out tty1, and got an error about a directory missing /var/lib/ubuntu-release-manager or something, so I did apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-release-manager and also lightdm. Then on reboot I didn't even get the login screen, just a flashing underscore in the top left. Back to tty1, it let me login (though it was very slow) but there was some message about 3-4 lines long, a bunch of [ ] brackets, the only recognizable part was something about a bus. drat, I was sure I'd remember it, it wasn't "bus error" but that's what comes to mind anyway. I guess I'll have to check the exact message tomorrow. Or it might just be time to reinstall the OS. Luckily everything's in repos so no damage could have been done besides the cost of replacing any busted components.

I just tried to ssh in, it actually works fine, I don't get that same message I got in tty1, and it seems snappy. Any way I can diagnose remotely?

E: X forwarding doesn't work.... and then exit caused it to hang, I needed to Ctrl-C.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 4, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Ugh. Someone knocked over our lab desktop (running Ubuntu 13.10). It was still running but stuff clearly wasn't working, I tried to shut it down but the system hanged (somewhere between killing Compiz and closing the windows, it appeared) so I did a hard power off. It didn't detect the hard drive on reboot so I took a look inside, the SATA cable was a little loose, so I fixed that. But now things are a little weird.

This is all from memory since I was already rushing out the door when this went down, I can write out the error messages tomorrow if need be:
After logging in, I just got the desktop image and the cursor, no icons, unity stuff, nothing from Ctrl-Alt-t, etc. I checked out tty1, and got an error about a directory missing /var/lib/ubuntu-release-manager or something, so I did apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-release-manager and also lightdm. Then on reboot I didn't even get the login screen, just a flashing underscore in the top left. Back to tty1, it let me login (though it was very slow) but there was some message about 3-4 lines long, a bunch of [ ] brackets, the only recognizable part was something about a bus. drat, I was sure I'd remember it, it wasn't "bus error" but that's what comes to mind anyway. I guess I'll have to check the exact message tomorrow. Or it might just be time to reinstall the OS. Luckily everything's in repos so no damage could have been done besides the cost of replacing any busted components.

I just tried to ssh in, it actually works fine, I don't get that same message I got in tty1, and it seems snappy. Any way I can diagnose remotely?

E: X forwarding doesn't work.

Is there a video card? Is it unseated?

And X forwarding should work whether or not X is actually running on the server. Do you mean X forwarding, or NX/VNC? If X forwarding is actually not working, what's happening?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Onboard graphics in the CPU.

And yeah, X forwarding is working after all. I tried Sublime Text, it appeared on the screen for an instant then closed. I just tried again with gedit and it works.

It does give me the error though: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-Bnvrpuyxrk: Connection refused

E: which google suggests is just a gedit thing.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 4, 2014

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Doing some hokey demo setup here, we need to make a web server serve a file in retarded fast ways.

Anyhow, does anyone know how to get aio on nginx 1.4.4 on ubuntu 12.04? Reading the docs it seems I need to have a kernel better than 2.6 which I certainly do have but I can't seem to get it to go.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm looking through /var/log/syslog, I'm seeing a bunch of blocks with an ata2.00 exception/error/failed command, eventually ending with 'device reported invalid CHS sector 0'.

I guess, next time I have physical access, fsck from a USB boot? Or do I probably have bigger problems?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

wwb posted:

Doing some hokey demo setup here, we need to make a web server serve a file in retarded fast ways.

Anyhow, does anyone know how to get aio on nginx 1.4.4 on ubuntu 12.04? Reading the docs it seems I need to have a kernel better than 2.6 which I certainly do have but I can't seem to get it to go.

You need to enable O_DIRECT for that to work, iirc.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

I'm looking through /var/log/syslog, I'm seeing a bunch of blocks with an ata2.00 exception/error/failed command, eventually ending with 'device reported invalid CHS sector 0'.

I guess, next time I have physical access, fsck from a USB boot? Or do I probably have bigger problems?

The drive is potentially bad. Is it an SSD? If so, dropping's fine. If it's a platter and it got knocked over, replace the drive.

Check smartctl.

wwb posted:

This is the best part about nginx. You probably have to recompile from source. Check "nginx -V". I don't think AIO is enabled by default in the build.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

wwb posted:

You probably would be OK with enabling sendfile, using epoll, turning multi_accept on and make sure to raise your worker limit and connections.

If you aren't already you can also use the official repo for ubuntu http://wiki.nginx.org/Install (But you are talking about the latest version so maybe you are already)
I've had to patch and build custom nginx in the past for stuff like mp4 modules before they started including it and it wasn't that bad. If you get the package sources you can modify the compile flags and build a new package.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

evol262 posted:

The drive is potentially bad. Is it an SSD? If so, dropping's fine. If it's a platter and it got knocked over, replace the drive.

Check smartctl.

It's a platter, so yeah we'll be getting a new one I imagine. If it's just corruption from powering off/unplugging while active though (if there's any way to tell the difference and if it's fixable) I could use it at home. Is the question now whether it's a filesystem problem or a HDD problem?

In any case smartctl reports a read failure after trying a self test. Would this rule out a filesystem problem? Should I take this to the hardware thread?

E: \/ \/ Ok, thanks.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 4, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

It's a platter, so yeah we'll be getting a new one I imagine. If it's just corruption from powering off/unplugging while active though (if there's any way to tell the difference and if it's fixable) I could use it at home. Is the question now whether it's a filesystem problem or a HDD problem?

In any case smartctl reports a read failure after trying a self test. Would this rule out a filesystem problem? Should I take this to the hardware thread?

You should save what you can and throw the drive away, probably. I bet it's got the click of death.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Cheekio posted:

I've tried crossover and had good results before. Any thoughts on hardware? I guess I'm hoping that switching an ATI card for an NVidia one will make all the difference, as people play modern games on Wine without issue, but I can't find any reliable resources on the subject.

edit: Holy poo poo, this thread's OP was written in 2007. Christ.

Not an expert by any means, but my impression is that nvidia is still the 'go to' for gaming on Linux. I believe I read that the AMD open-source driver was coming along well, but their proprietary (catalyst) driver is still pretty temperamental. You'll need to use a proprietary driver if you want to game.

Similarly, if you go with an nvidia card, make sure you install the proprietary nvidia driver rather than the 'nouveau' (open source) one - Ubuntu will let you do this through the restricted drivers utility.

This site seems to have some linux focussed comparisons.

Edit: They actually have a 'round up' for both AMD and nVidia's support during 2013. The AMD one is here and seems to agree that nVidia enjoys greater support at the moment.

quote:

After a few days ago delivering the 2013 NVIDIA Linux Year-In-Review, an annual article I've been writing for both AMD and NVIDIA since 2005 to cover the Linux driver and support improvements made each passing year, it's now time to take a look at the Catalyst Linux driver releases from 2013. While NVIDIA added many new features to their Linux driver, enhanced many existing features, and continued delivering first-rate Linux GPU support at launch-time, it's not been the same for AMD's Linux team.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 5, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Prince John posted:

Not an expert by any means, but my impression is that nvidia is still the 'go to' for gaming on Linux. I believe I read that the AMD open-source driver was coming along well, but their proprietary (catalyst) driver is still pretty temperamental. You'll need to use a proprietary driver if you want to game.

Similarly, if you go with an nvidia card, make sure you install the proprietary nvidia driver rather than the 'nouveau' (open source) one - Ubuntu will let you do this through the restricted drivers utility.

This site seems to have some linux focussed comparisons.

Edit: They actually have a 'round up' for both AMD and nVidia's support during 2013. The AMD one is here and seems to agree that nVidia enjoys greater support at the moment.

nVidia's always had better binary drivers than ATI/AMD. Much of the problem with catalyst is adaptation (they're historically slow/bad about making it work after big kernel or xorg changes), but it's also fair to say that nVidia's opengl libraries are more mature, which matters a lot for WINE.

As far as actual performance goes, AMD had a regression on brand-new chipsets somewhere around Catalyst 13.2, but Phoronix's assertion that "AMD fixed bugs/regressions and improved performance, but didn't add exciting new features, so nVidia gets the trophy" is literally laughable. What features do people care about from drivers? Works or doesn't work, and a major framework rewrite for fglrx to make it easier to update (plus the fact that it's generally faster for gpgpu work) is sort of a win. Historically, the nvidia driver has "features" because they don't actually support the standards, whereas nvidia is a lot more unreliable with xinerama, xrandr support, etc.

So, yes, nvidia is better for gaming. But it's much less black and white than it appears.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

JHVH-1 posted:

Does it work if you copy and paste the file name in the autocomplete list?

Pasting tést-file results in tstfile in the console.

evol262 posted:

I read sources a bit and it's very likely that I was wrong about it "just working", but I'd suggest you file a bug with the maintainer of whatever distro you use...

sftp (from openssh) uses libedit rather than readline, and while libedit has UTF-8 support since 2011 or so, I have no idea how complete or usable it is, and there are some horrid sounding commits, where even tab-completing UTF-8 characters only made it into Fedora last year. It may not even be possible to type UTF-8 characters, since the client (look at interactive_loop()) looks somewhat naive. But ask your distro's maintainer.

Other clients should be fine, though...

Thanks evol, once again I appreciate your help. I'll see if I can submit a bug directly to the openssh mailing list. Arch doesn't care about upstream bugs, only issues that are the result of packaging and I'm pretty sure that if I submit it to Debian any action (if any) will never make it back upstream.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

I'm just about to embark on a digitization binge and get rid of loads of my physical paperwork. My scanning software saves OCR data with the scanned image, which made me consider how I should be storing these files.

I've been considering some DMS systems such as Alfresco and OpenKM - the latter in particular seems to suit me, with its search and indexing facilities and scanner integration. As it's only for my personal files my needs aren't great, but I would like the ability to tag documents in multiple categories and be able to easily search for keywords inside the documents.

Does anyone else use a solution like this at home, or would it be overkill? The files would be kept on a linux zfs or btrfs fileserver but I was concerned about losing the ability to constantly back up changes to documents. At the moment, Crashplan silently uploads changes to documents I'm working on every few minutes - with a DMS solution would I be restricted to stopping the database and doing a 'one-off' backup at night as the documentation suggests?

Edit: ^^ Out of interest, what makes you say that? Is it rare for bug fixes in distributions to make it upstream?

Prince John fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 5, 2014

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Something to consider regarding graphics cards, if you're cheap or otherwise don't plan on upgrading every N years: I know ATI/AMD has dropped support for "older" cards in their proprietary driver in the past; I'm guessing Nvidia is better in that respect but don't know for sure.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Xik posted:

Pasting tést-file results in tstfile in the console.

Thanks evol, once again I appreciate your help. I'll see if I can submit a bug directly to the openssh mailing list. Arch doesn't care about upstream bugs, only issues that are the result of packaging and I'm pretty sure that if I submit it to Debian any action (if any) will never make it back upstream.

In the meantime you could try something like lftp that supports sftp and maybe it would get you around it.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Cheekio posted:

"jitter" is typically caused by vsync. Try disabling it as well as the "tear free desktop" setting.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Prince John posted:

Edit: ^^ Out of interest, what makes you say that? Is it rare for bug fixes in distributions to make it upstream?

For Arch, they (understandably) flat out don't accept bug reports for stuff that isn't a result of packaging. In theory they just grab a upstream tarball, compile it, add package meta data and push it to the repo mirrors. They don't manage distro specific forks or patches.

For the other "major" distros, it's more complicated. Patching in distro specific changes and fixes seems to be a common occurrence. Whether you think this is a good idea or not probably comes down to what you want/expect out of a distribution. It seems to be a roll of the dice if changes manage to make it make upstream. ~Politics~ and relationships between distro devs and the core team would probably be a factor, but I honestly don't know, I'm not really in the know about that sort of thing.

In any case, it's probably best for the ecosystem as a whole to submit bugs upstream unless you know it was introduced by your distro. That way, all other distros will benefit if/when they pull from the upstream source next.

JHVH-1 posted:

In the meantime you could try something like lftp that supports sftp and maybe it would get you around it.

Yeah definitely, in the mean time I can work around it. Juggling/renaming files server side or just using another tool will work. As RFC2324 pointed out, and I showed in my example, scp works fine with unicode. I actually used to use lftp exclusively, but since sftp is basically guaranteed to be on every machine, I just ended up using that and dropped lftp out of my workflow.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SamDabbers posted:

I'm not sure what you need in a scanner, and I have a Brother MFC that works decently as a network scanner. Brother's Linux drivers are pretty good in just about every respect, actually.

At minimum I need the ability to drop some paper in a feeder and initiate a scan from a computer on the network. I'd like it even more if I could just press a button on it and have the scans dropped directly into an SMB share.

My previous printer was an Epson NX330 that worked flawlessly out of the box - built in wireless, networked printing and scanning with no need to install additional drivers or really configure anything, it just worked. It didn't have a document feed for the scanner, though, and the hardware finally crapped out completely a week after the warranty expired.

My current one is a Canon PIXMA and it's just poo poo in every respect.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've got an HP all-in-one with built-in wireless that has been remarkably easy and non-painful to use regardless of platform. I've used both Epson and Canon printers just fine under Linux, too, although I had a fairly high-end Canon. For wireless, I think HP is still a good bet.

That sounds promising! What model do you have?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

spoon0042 posted:

Something to consider regarding graphics cards, if you're cheap or otherwise don't plan on upgrading every N years: I know ATI/AMD has dropped support for "older" cards in their proprietary driver in the past; I'm guessing Nvidia is better in that respect but don't know for sure.
nvidia has a "legacy" driver that's ok. Open drivers are probably faster and better supported. AMD/ATI actively contributes and has relatively open hardware as GPUs go. Radeonhd is a fine choice.

Xik posted:

For Arch, they (understandably) flat out don't accept bug reports for stuff that isn't a result of packaging. In theory they just grab a upstream tarball, compile it, add package meta data and push it to the repo mirrors. They don't manage distro specific forks or patches.
In theory is about right. They follow upstream pretty closely (not as closely as Slack), but the -optional packages are technically messy. Still, can't complain.

Xik posted:

For the other "major" distros, it's more complicated. Patching in distro specific changes and fixes seems to be a common occurrence. Whether you think this is a good idea or not probably comes down to what you want/expect out of a distribution. It seems to be a roll of the dice if changes manage to make it make upstream. ~Politics~ and relationships between distro devs and the core team would probably be a factor, but I honestly don't know, I'm not really in the know about that sort of thing.
We all get along. There are sometimes packages (often EL distros, but also Debian stable and Ubuntu) that have a bunch of patches attached, but nobody likes that. Generally, it's:

RFE or bug comes in.
Owner triages and writes a patch.
Submit upstream. Get it accepted. Build off upstream.

We don't have the time or manpower to maintain a bunch of distro specific stuff unless it's backports. If you're maintaining patches, it's because you diverged from upstream when they pushed back and you decided your feature was critical (Ubuntu), you need a fix now and you're just maintaining a patch until upstream accepts your (or a variation of it) then you drop yours, or it's productization.

More often than not, the upstream maintainer owns the package in some distro anyway, and is very likely part of Novell, Red Hat, the Debian Project, Apache. or Canonical anyway. Nobody likes balkanization. If you submit a bug to Redhat, canonical, or Debian, we'll submit the patch upstream, and probably work hand-in-hand with upstream to fix it.

This included our development. If I write a new Puppet provider for one of our products, I'll submit it to Puppet Labs so they can maintain it, and their users benefit as well. It's win-win.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

evol262 posted:

nvidia has a "legacy" driver that's ok. Open drivers are probably faster and better supported. AMD/ATI actively contributes and has relatively open hardware as GPUs go. Radeonhd is a fine choice.

Yeah, I admit I don't know what progress has been made on the free driver, I should probably give that a shot sometime when I'm bored. As it is I've been using the fglrx on Debian which is going on two years old I think. Since wine, which is 99% of what I care about as far as graphics drivers go, I think at the time sort of ignored problems with the free driver. :shrug:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

evol262 posted:

In theory is about right. They follow upstream pretty closely (not as closely as Slack), but the -optional packages are technically messy. Still, can't complain.

Haha, yeah, that's why I put emphasis on the "in theory" part :). I like the concept of "pure" upstream packages in Slack, but have never tried it because the idea of manual package management and dependency resolution is super scary. I really like Arch, but there is a reason my Arch machine is called Wabbajack. I'm very hesitant to recommend it.

evol262 posted:

We all get along. There are sometimes packages (often EL distros, but also Debian stable and Ubuntu) that have a bunch of patches attached, but nobody likes that.

Thanks for the insight. It's likely that as an end-user my view is skewed. Whenever there is "drama" it gets linked around, and poo poo flinging bug reports tend to make the rounds every now and then. I guess it's like all politics, when things work well and go as expected you don't hear about it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
There was also this plot twist recently. Who knows if NVIDIA has more up its sleeve.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Xik posted:

This is going to sound really dumb, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. How do I go about entering/escaping a unicode character in a sftp get command?

Say, a folder with both "resume" and "résumé". Tab completion is going to stop me at "r"

What happens if you cut and paste "rés" into the console and then try to tab-complete from there?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

fatherdog posted:

What happens if you cut and paste "rés" into the console and then try to tab-complete from there?

When pasting it in, the character is removed. So in this example "rés" results in "rs".

e: I sent off a message to openssh portable mailing list.

Xik fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 5, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Suspicious Dish posted:

There was also this plot twist recently. Who knows if NVIDIA has more up its sleeve.

I'm pretty sure that's just because ARM is a more dynamic market, but I'd love to see things go this way on x86(_64).

I didn't see whether or not AMDs ARMterons (calling them Opterons is confusing) have an GPU on die or not, but I'd be shocked if nvidia let the CUDA+ARM market go untouched.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Prince John posted:

Does anyone else use a solution like this at home, or would it be overkill? The files would be kept on a linux zfs or btrfs fileserver but I was concerned about losing the ability to constantly back up changes to documents.

I wouldn't use BTRFS because it is still in active development. XFS might be a better solution because is a much more reliable and stable but you have to remember that it cannot shrink volumes.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

evol262 posted:

This is the best part about nginx. You probably have to recompile from source. Check "nginx -V". I don't think AIO is enabled by default in the build.

Thanks, no it isn't. Been there on the self-building -- we are running a rails app with nginx and passenger here.

JHVH-1 posted:

You probably would be OK with enabling sendfile, using epoll, turning multi_accept on and make sure to raise your worker limit and connections.

If you aren't already you can also use the official repo for ubuntu http://wiki.nginx.org/Install (But you are talking about the latest version so maybe you are already)
I've had to patch and build custom nginx in the past for stuff like mp4 modules before they started including it and it wasn't that bad. If you get the package sources you can modify the compile flags and build a new package.

Thanks -- we are using the nginx repos to get 1.4.4 so we've got that box checked.

Interesting -- we are really trying to serve a single, large (4.5 - 24gb) file fast to a single client which is pretty antithetical to what most web servers want to do. From what I read around the 'net we wanted to turn sendfile off and enable aio and indeed we saw a ~5% speed bump for this.

Anyhow, further testing showed that, yes, a pretty default configuration of nginx can saturate a 1gb nic. How we found this out was switching clients, for some reason windows 8.1 (or the non-server grade nic) could only sustain 600 megabits or so. Pretty identical hardware on windows 7 could saturate the pipe without much trouble. Of course, it then got us into kernel hacking the TCP/IP stack to make it not cache the "dude, you went to fast and broke something, let's slow it down bro" message.

Which brings me to my next linux question -- linux handles the networking a lot better, do you all have any idea if ubuntu 14.04 will support touch screens, specifically this one -- http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=859-BBBC .

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

wwb posted:

Which brings me to my next linux question -- linux handles the networking a lot better, do you all have any idea if ubuntu 14.04 will support touch screens, specifically this one -- http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=859-BBBC .
They're already supported in the sense that they can act like a mouse. Unity has some rudimentary gesture support, though I've never tried it. As a general rule, Mir/Wayland will add proper support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Thanks -- I think all I need is for someone to be able to tap buttons so that might line up nicely. Don't need gestures thankfully.