Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Unless you meant you wanted an HD version of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Lara Croft costume DLC. They really nailed the dirty face.

http://youtu.be/MIAW4HBPicY

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
So does Lightning Returns take place 500 years after the end of XIII-2? Or does it take place in 500 AF or whenever the gently caress time 'stopped' or whatever happened in that ending?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

And then what if XII HD does well?

Chrono Cross HD :unsmigghh:

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!

Endorph posted:

You got me, I meant another game with the XII battle system.Revenant Wings was still a great game though.

Don Gato posted:

I'd bite, I'd love to see the backgrounds redone in HD.

Iron Casanova fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 5, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ShadeofDante posted:

So does Lightning Returns take place 500 years after the end of XIII-2? Or does it take place in 500 AF or whenever the gently caress time 'stopped' or whatever happened in that ending?

After Time 'stopped'.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

ShadeofDante posted:

It's 500 years after the time collapse/end of XIII-2.

Don Gato posted:

Isn't that essentially what we're getting with this trilogy?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I have the International Edition (one of the few perks of living in Europe) and as I said before, it's the first time I looked at the optional content of a FF game and said no. It's just not fun and even making a dent on the optional bosses (excluding maybe Dark Valefor/Ixion, the first two you're likely to encounter) requires almost Disgaea-levels of grinding. Even when I had the time for that, I couldn't be bothered. I can see it being more fun on the Vita (drop in, grind for however long the journey to work is, drop out), and I know I'll wind up getting it (both games still have great battle systems), but I wouldn't count on me playing FFX much past the end credits.

On the upside, they are supposedly cross-save (not cross-buy) compatible, so I am dumb and bought both so I can do my grinding on the commute and do story / boss battles at home on the big screen.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

AllisonByProxy posted:

Lara Croft costume DLC. They really nailed the dirty face.

http://youtu.be/MIAW4HBPicY

WTC, that video got blocked by the explicit content filter at my office. Youtube also requires log-in for age verification... is it actually NSFW?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It's 500 years after the time collapse/end of XIII-2.

Put another way, at ~1,000 AF

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

WTC, that video got blocked by the explicit content filter at my office. Youtube also requires log-in for age verification... is it actually NSFW?

No, it's literally just her costume from the latest game.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Endorph posted:

Then they'll start making good FFs again

jk they won't

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 5, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

Every time I see the end credits of The Wind Waker, I think "wouldn't it be great if this game had a sequel?"

"Oh."

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Then they'll start making good FFs again

jk they won't

But they just released Bravely Default? :confused:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Bravely Default technically isn't Final Fantasy. If little things like removing chocobos and renaming dragoons to valkyries is somehow necessary for them to make an enjoyable RPG, I'm all for it.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

But they just released Bravely Default? :confused:

Balance that against the fact that FFXIII is far and away the worst game in the series and they made loving 3 of them.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Balance that against the fact that FFXIII is far and away the worst game in the series and they made loving 3 of them.

Well, it looks like they're going to release another bravely default already so just give it another year and they'll be even.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Livingtrope posted:

Well, it looks like they're going to release another bravely default already so just give it another year and they'll be even.

That game does look awesome, but will the series come out on consoles?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Or you know, stop calling 13 the worst when that's about one of the most untrue statements to be made in relation to Final Fantasy.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

That game does look awesome, but will the series come out on consoles?

I certainly hope not, gently caress if I'm ever buying a console or a tv for that matter.

Also, the worst game in the series is whichever one you like the most.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Or you know, stop calling 13 the worst when that's about one of the most untrue statements to be made in relation to Final Fantasy.

Yeah, I'd rather play a dumb, pretty, linear series of battles than go through Final Fantasy II again. Also, I haven't played them, but I heard the original releases of XI and XIV were absolutely dire. XI was improved a lot for the Western release, but XIV had to be rebuilt entirely before it became a good game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It's almost like "worst" - especially in regards to something like this - is subjective and an opinion and should be taken as such.

I personally think 13 is the worst game. Am I going to expect people to agree with me? Nah. Am I going to use that to judge people? Of course not, people are entitled to their preferences. Am I going to willingly ever play 13 over, say, replaying 2 or 3? Hahahaha.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

On the one hand, 2 and 3 are a lot shorter than 13, on the other hand, 13 isn't actively painful.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's not even a matter of subjectivity, there are two games in this series that had awful starting dates. XI had to be gussied up for its western release, even that didn't really fix it enough and XIV was a loving giant mess in its original version. XIV was so bad Square issued an apology to everyone, redid the game from the ground up and went as far to purge XIV by dropping a meteor on the whole game to lead into ARR. Of course if you have a single objective bone in your body, you would not call 13 worse than 2, 2 is a game that was not only bad for its time, it has not sweetened with age. I can't say anything about 3 as that's the only main FF I have not played. This is of course counting only the main series games and not spin-offs where it can get MUCH worse.

Everything else from there on is subjective, I guess I could say 1 is there too, but that game was the one that started everything and is so old it sort of exists in its own little world apart from the others.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Of course if you have a single objective bone in your body, you would not call 13 worse than 2, 2 is a game that was not only bad for its time, it has not sweetened with age.

It has absolutely nothing to do with objectivity. There are more interesting things that I like about Final Fantasy II (namely, the entire battle mechanic system) than Final Fantasy XIII (the music, which doesn't require playing the game at all!). The end.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Don Gato posted:

Yeeeeessssss

Along with FF8 and Legend of Dragoon, Chrono Cross rounds out my list of favorite ps1 games with a stupid plot but interesting battle mechanics.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

II is bad but at least it's hosed up in funny and interesting ways. III is just bad.

e: Also the DS version of III is the only main series FF I've stopped playing several hours in with no intention of ever going back to it because gently caress that game.

Veib fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 5, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
II is almost certainly the worst, but as far as I'm aware both XI and XIV are considered good games regardless of how they were originally.

What does it even matter, it's all subjective, see the thread title.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Everything else from there on is subjective, I guess I could say 1 is there too, but that game was the one that started everything and is so old it sort of exists in its own little world apart from the others.

I'm a fan of FFI, but probably only because I played the GBA version. It's a breeze to play through with almost any party (besides 4 white mages or something), with most of the challenge coming from the new optional dungeons. The pace of the game is incredibly quick, although compared to the newer games it leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to developing your characters thanks to the unchangeable job system, and the lack of interesting things you can do in battle.

I can barely play through the NES version, but I do appreciate what it accomplished, and even think the graphics stand the test of time. FFII was not a good game even in the remake, and III DS was actually much worse than the original.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Bravely Default technically isn't Final Fantasy. If little things like removing chocobos and renaming dragoons to valkyries is somehow necessary for them to make an enjoyable RPG, I'm all for it.

New thread subtitle: "Bravely Default is the Best Final Fantasy"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

2 sucks and 3 (DS) is also pretty drat bad. XIII is a pretty bad game which could have been much better with some tweaks. XIII-2 is a pretty good game because it has some of those tweaks. Also, funny ending.

XIV 1.0 was an abomination, XIV 2.0 is really good, but it doesn't have the endgame to be worth playing long term in my opinion. XI was cool.

Bravely Default isn't a Final Fantasy, and it'll make sense why when the penny drops. :ssh:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nihilarian posted:

Yeeeeessssss

Along with FF8 and Legend of Dragoon, Chrono Cross rounds out my list of favorite ps1 games with a stupid plot but interesting battle mechanics.

Maybe this time we could get the full game instead of what they had made before they ran out of money. I call it the Xenogears Syndrome.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Endorph posted:

FFVII 4K HD edition.

Nah, they'd make too much money; they'll never go for it.

That loving Sned posted:

Yeah, I'd rather play a dumb, pretty, linear series of battles than go through Final Fantasy II again. Also, I haven't played them, but I heard the original releases of XI and XIV were absolutely dire. XI was improved a lot for the Western release, but XIV had to be rebuilt entirely before it became a good game.

Yeah, the west didn't see XI until it already had a full expansion out. (which we got for free :911: ) It continued to get better throughout its lifetime, but that's the nature of MMOs. WoW was a tiny bit of its current self at vanilla (although arguably better). XI was pretty dang great from the beginning of the western launch though, and that wasn't THAT far into development. They added a lot of areas which smoothed out levelling, but the game was mostly the same. I think it was pretty popular in Japan, and if it was rough at first, so were most MMOs.

That said, I played the early beta of XIV and it was a loving disaster. ARR's reboot of XIV is actually great now, but that's several years later. They had a full year of eastern and western gamers playing the game, not paying a monthly fee (because it was too lovely to ask for money for) even though XI was charging a monthly fee all the while. It was absurd.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 5, 2014

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
List of people who don't like FF13:

-People who loooooooove anime stories and are outraged that FF13 didn't live up to their lofty anime expectations
-People who like wandering around aimlessly or looking up on gamefaqs where to go next
-People who complain the combat consists only of mashing auto battle, but also complain that battles are too difficult and take too long and no i dont see any connection :confused:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

-People who loooooooove anime stories and are outraged that FF13 didn't live up to their lofty anime expectations
-People who like wandering around aimlessly or looking up on gamefaqs where to go next
-People who complain the combat consists only of mashing auto battle, but also complain that battles are too difficult and take too long and no i dont see any connection :confused:

-People who enjoy stories with interesting plot or character development

Seriously 13 is pretty but its so loving stupid. The combat isn't my favorite FF ever but if that was all that was wrong with it I'd have beat it by now. But I can't be arsed because I just don't loving care about the story, and at the end of the day that's what FF lives and dies by.

I usually get bored of the combat; you better believe by disc 3 of FF7 I was loving bored of the combat. I guess FF1 kinda lived by its combat but that's all there really was then. FF8 I used the no encounters poo poo asap. I kept playing because I really wanted to know where the story was going, how it would end, and how the characters would end up.

I don't loving care about anything in XIII. Lightning can gently caress off, Cocoon can burn, who cares. I'd prefer Sazh make it out okay, but the game can't get by on him alone.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
One of my beefs with FF13 is that there's not really any reason to replay it since you can't really customize your characters such that you'll play a different way next time. The entire game is built around the paradigm system, and the first time through battles are very nicely balanced since leveling is restricted, but most random battles are alternating between COM/RAV/RAV and RAV/RAV/RAV anyway so you only really need to switch constantly on the encounters guarding stuff and bosses. And once you figure out the trick to a battle, there's not really a different way to do things. I guess you could do no-leveling, but even with FF4, which is the least-customizable FF game after 13, you could mix things up with a solo game or banning magic or items or whatever goofy stuff you can think of.

It's a decent game the first time (depending on how much you like the story and gameplay), but after that there's not really much incentive to replay it again. Of course, maybe there's potential in, say, banning a certain role from being used all game, with exceptions for stuff like eidolon fights. Though that sounds like it'd just make fights more tedious than strategic.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

-People who like good games
-People who want sidequests / minigames and no loving poo poo rear end hunts dont count
-People who want to understand the story without reading the datalog for everything

edit: the combat was slow. 13-2 removed the delay in paradigm shifting which made the combat pace feel so much better.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 5, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm going to be even more interested in hearing people's responses to LR now.

Also the thing people are complaining about in the ending is in fact the least stupid part of the ending so I'm exactly looking forward to what people say about that because that ending is so magnificently stupid.

Also for the record about NG+:

Lightning Returns unlocks a Hard Mode when you finish the game. Harder monsters, you retain your equipment and such, there is new equipment, and a weapon/armor customization system is unlocked. There's also a "Limit Break" mode which allows you to surpass the stat limits but disallows you from posting scores online.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 5, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Do people really complain about stabbing Bunivhelza, or however you spell it, in the face and then ending up in France? I can understand being surprised by it, but it's not the kind of thing I'd call bad. If anything, it's hilarious.

And it's not even the dumbest bit? That's phenomenal. Is the rest the same good kind of dumb, or is the bad dumb?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Dude thats a pretty retarded twist, like I think you can legit complain about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Do people really complain about stabbing Bunivhelza, or however you spell it, in the face and then ending up in France? I can understand being surprised by it, but it's not the kind of thing I'd call bad. If anything, it's hilarious.

And it's not even the dumbest bit? That's phenomenal. Is the rest the same good kind of dumb, or is the bad dumb?

There is a scene where all the heroes call their giant robots which then combine into a giant flaming sword forged entirely of friendship which they use to stab God so hard he turns into crystals and falls into a black hole. This is a thing that ACTUALLY HAPPENS. It is not exaggerated in the slightest.