Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Fuegan posted:

The Honoured Imperium set is awesome for basing. I used it for my Tomb Stalker (which I now have to repaint seeing as how I changed my Necron scheme. No idea how I'm going to paint strip it since Power Spray and resin don't go well together it seems.)

So after Fuegan convinced me to spend more money, today's modelling session has been eventful:

I'm going to weigh the base down by putting some heavy bits of metal (probably pennies) in the hollow area at the bottom, then fill it up with some resin sealant and attach a slightly wider plasticard base. Then the Hierophant itself needs stronger magnets and some pins for the legs to hold them steady, and some green-stuff to properly attach the transport sacs. Then it's time to paint a model that will probably only see one game a year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I wanted a techmarine but I don't want to pay FW prices just yet for one model, so I dug into my sprues and bits box and slapped something horrible together. It's not stuck on the base just yet, I'm going to try to prime/paint/make pretty.

Look upon my abomination and weep

I threw some more in the album link. Yes, that scanner thing is coming out of the hole-thing/interface port on his breastplate. I put a flamer into/under his power fist and he's got a combi-melta because why wouldn't he?

The base is poo poo, but I'm hoping I can salvage something out of it. It'll be my first shot at basing.

http://imgur.com/a/UdyNS

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

180pts for an Inferno Cannon? Sign me up!

Badgersmasher
Dec 31, 2013

Slimnoid posted:

I'll take two please!

Oh old models, you had the best names; now its just called something stupid like a heavy flamer.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

field balm posted:

That still sounds pretty expensive for that kind of guard army, especially a not very good/small one. I wouldn't pick it up unless you're really, really keen on the converted models. You're gonna need to buy a few more hundred bucks worth of tanks at least!

It might be expensive, but it's still cheaper than it'd cost to buy these figures from Forge World unpainted and unassembled. Also, these are really neat models. Go back a few pages to look at the paint job - it's pretty killer. I guess it'll be an ongoing project and this will be the start to it. Thanks for the advice, though.

Badgersmasher posted:

Or, god forbid, more infantry.

Honestly, it's not a bad price per se but it could be better. I got 1.5k points of steel legion a while back for less than half that.

I don't think it's a bad price. It's expensive without context, but as far as 40k goes it's pretty cheap.

e: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-40k-Painted-Imperial-Guard-Army-/171233839809?pt=Games_US&hash=item27de550ac1 Alternatively, there's this, but it's not DKoK and someone will probably snag it before me. Hm.

Noctis Horrendae fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 6, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Slimnoid posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-4...utorefresh=true

Seriously SERIOUSLY tempted to start bidding on this.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Slimnoid posted:

The old vehicle design rules owned

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
This is unrelated but it's really annoying seeing your neighbors have power and being without it.

I just want to paint a Dredd army. :smith:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Badgersmasher posted:

I'll take two please!

Oh old models, you had the best names; now its just called something stupid like a heavy flamer.

Inferno Cannons are still a thing. And hey, it's not that old! It's 3rd edition goodness. I'm bothered that they wrote it was a Forgeworld item in the description since it was actually a Black Library model, but eh, can only get so spergy about my hams history.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

This is unrelated but it's really annoying seeing your neighbors have power and being without it.

I just want to paint a Dredd army. :smith:

Casually ask if you can stay in their house for a few hours so you can paint your space mans.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Slimnoid posted:

That model is awesome, as are all Dreadnoughts in general. It's a shame they are so ridiculously overcosted now.

Badgersmasher posted:

I'll take two please!

Inferno Cannons still exist both in name and variants; Dreadknights, Tyrannofexes and Soul Grinders all have their own variation on that same S6AP4 Torrent weapon.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 6, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

SRM posted:

Inferno Cannons are still a thing.

Which are mounted on TITANS of all things.

It could easily be brought to 6th ed. by just making it a Flamestorm Cannon and dropping it by 60pts. Probably make it Faithful, or whatever the SoB rules for that are now. Give it Venerable for shits and giggles and you'd have a decent dread on your hands.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Slimnoid posted:

Which are mounted on TITANS of all things.

It could easily be brought to 6th ed. by just making it a Flamestorm Cannon and dropping it by 60pts. Probably make it Faithful, or whatever the SoB rules for that are now. Give it Venerable for shits and giggles and you'd have a decent dread on your hands.

It's Ephrael-loving-Stern in a dreadnaught. It would be like putting Saint Celestine in a dreadnaught. Venerable for shits and giggles indeed... if the thing isn't spiking slaanesh daemons into the ground left right and center it isn't doing her justice. :colbert:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

Inferno Cannons are still a thing. And hey, it's not that old! It's 3rd edition goodness. I'm bothered that they wrote it was a Forgeworld item in the description since it was actually a Black Library model, but eh, can only get so spergy about my hams history.

It wasn't a black library model. Gather 'round chil'uns, it's story time.

Back in the day Games Workshop used to do monthly black-and-white bitz catalogs (iirc they were called "Black Gobbo" in contrast to White Dwarf). These would get mailed out with bitz orders and they'd showcase new bitz and cool conversions. After the Vehicle Design Rules (VDR) came out, they started doing a bunch of custom vehicles using bitz from a number of different kits, like that Soritas dreadnought there. They'd list the rules and the costs along with the catalog numbers of all the bitz required. They also did a set for the chaos daemon primarchs as well.

This is an old scan from one of those. What you are looking at is a metal space marine dreadnought with a series of metal bitz from other Sisters kits that were available at the time, such as the Fleur-de-lis and the large purity seal.

E: Not mentioned in the article/image there is you cutting/grinding down the metal sarcophagus of the dreadnought to make a flat surface for the fleur-de-lis

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 6, 2014

AlMac
Oct 5, 2003

Peter Serafinowicz says I'M THE BEST
I got back into 40K recently after not having played since the heady days of 2nd edition. I used to play Tyranids back in the times of day-glo colour schemes and four-armed screamer-killers, so I've been building up a bit of a Tyranid collection with the new models. I've really just been building and painting, which are my favourite parts of the hobby anyway - especially after having discovered the incredible gulf in quality between the models I used to use and the current ones.

However, I'm a high school teacher and one of my colleagues runs a 40K School League club. I'd like to go along and play some games there but I know very, very little about actually playing the game in the current edition. I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me two related pieces of advice.

Firstly, the School League lists are only 600 points. I'd like to play against the kids who go and for that I'd basically like a list that looks great on the table but is pretty easy to beat. These kids are all 12-13 and most haven't been playing long. Several of them have quarter-painted Dark Vengeance armies and most of the rest have Necrons, because robots are cool I guess. One kid does have a very well-painted Ultramarines army with a vindicator and converted terminators, but he's the exception. Basically, I'd like to be able to show these kids a cool-looking and reasonably well-painted army while still letting them win most of the time.

On the other hand, I'd like to be able to play the other teacher seriously. He's been playing current editions for much longer than me and has a pretty big Dark Angels force. I don't remember its exact makeup but he has a librarian and a devastator squad with several lascannons in his 600 point list.

Here are the random models I own so far. I didn't buy them with any sort of plan - I bought stuff that I thought looked cool and that I wanted to paint. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to use this stuff to make both a good-looking-but-easily-stompable list, and also a separate serious list?

6 warriors with a mix of devourers and deathspitters
1 warrior converted to have crushing claws - would work as a prime with the claws artifact
1 carnifex, magnetised with all weapon options
3 tyrant guard
1 old school metal hive tyrant with venom cannon
1 Trygon
1 exocrine / haruspex, magnetised to be useable as either
12 hormagaunts
10 termagants with fleshborers

I'll be buying other bits and bobs to gradually build an army but this is what I have now. I don't mean to be lazy - I'm pretty sure I could jam together any old lot from what I have and make my own cool-but-stompable list. It's the actually competitive list that I'm struggling with. Can I even make one with these random models? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

AlMac posted:

I got back into 40K recently after not having played since the heady days of 2nd edition. I used to play Tyranids back in the times of day-glo colour schemes and four-armed screamer-killers, so I've been building up a bit of a Tyranid collection with the new models. I've really just been building and painting, which are my favourite parts of the hobby anyway - especially after having discovered the incredible gulf in quality between the models I used to use and the current ones.

However, I'm a high school teacher and one of my colleagues runs a 40K School League club. I'd like to go along and play some games there but I know very, very little about actually playing the game in the current edition. I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me two related pieces of advice.

Firstly, the School League lists are only 600 points. I'd like to play against the kids who go and for that I'd basically like a list that looks great on the table but is pretty easy to beat. These kids are all 12-13 and most haven't been playing long. Several of them have quarter-painted Dark Vengeance armies and most of the rest have Necrons, because robots are cool I guess. One kid does have a very well-painted Ultramarines army with a vindicator and converted terminators, but he's the exception. Basically, I'd like to be able to show these kids a cool-looking and reasonably well-painted army while still letting them win most of the time.

On the other hand, I'd like to be able to play the other teacher seriously. He's been playing current editions for much longer than me and has a pretty big Dark Angels force. I don't remember its exact makeup but he has a librarian and a devastator squad with several lascannons in his 600 point list.

Here are the random models I own so far. I didn't buy them with any sort of plan - I bought stuff that I thought looked cool and that I wanted to paint. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to use this stuff to make both a good-looking-but-easily-stompable list, and also a separate serious list?

6 warriors with a mix of devourers and deathspitters
1 warrior converted to have crushing claws - would work as a prime with the claws artifact
1 carnifex, magnetised with all weapon options
3 tyrant guard
1 old school metal hive tyrant with venom cannon
1 Trygon
1 exocrine / haruspex, magnetised to be useable as either
12 hormagaunts
10 termagants with fleshborers

I'll be buying other bits and bobs to gradually build an army but this is what I have now. I don't mean to be lazy - I'm pretty sure I could jam together any old lot from what I have and make my own cool-but-stompable list. It's the actually competitive list that I'm struggling with. Can I even make one with these random models? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Easy list, go super light on the MCs and don't upgrade many units

Tyranids 6th Ed (2014) v5 (Primary Detachment) Selections:
    + HQ + (170pts)

• Tyranid Prime (170pts) - Bone Swords, Regen

+ Troops + (270pts)

• Hormagaunt Brood (50pts)
    10x Hormagaunt

• Termagant Brood (40pts)
    10x Fleshborer, 10x Termagant

• Tyranid Warrior Brood (90pts)
    3x Tyranid Warrior

• Tyranid Warrior Brood (90pts)
    3x Tyranid Warrior

+ Heavy Support + (160pts)

• Carnifex Brood (160pts)
    1x Carnifex - Regen, Toxin Sacs

From there you can just remove Troop choices if you want more points for upgrades (or you just want to put less models on the table) or you can change what upgrades are there, this is just a basic example. You could make it incredibly easy by removing the little bugs out and using those 90 points for upgrades. Just about any army would have little trouble taking out 8 models total even if they are multi-wound models.

Competitive list at 600 points? I'm a bit of a loss on that one; the point value is really restrictive given the available models. Just a lone non-upgraded Hive Tyrant and the minimal possible troops is almost half your total point allowance and paints a huge target on the Hive Tyrant; upgrading the HT puts you over 300 points just for 1 HQ + 2 Troops. Trying to get any synapse other than the Hive Tyrant is pretty difficult without subbing Warriors for Termagants/Hormagaunts which is much more expensive and REALLY risky if your opponent has Las Devs. Taking a Tyranid Prime instead of an HT only saves you 40 points which doesn't help that much although it might be the difference between getting another MC into the list or not but you're just trading one MC for another so it's a bit of a wash.

If you had more Horms/Terms you could run overwhelming horde with a maxed out blob of Hormagaunts and a big unit of Termagants with a Tyranid Prime attached and hope he doesn't get sniped out and then take a Carnifex for anti-vehicle (in theory), or an Exocrine for shooting power, or a Trygon Prime for more Synapse and also some strong MC presence that can pop up on Turn 2+ to harass some backfield units. I'm betting trying to take out 50+ Fearless models in a 600 point game will be pretty difficult for a Space Marine based army.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 6, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

koreban posted:

Look upon my abomination and weep

I really like this, actually. You're right about the base, but only because I hate base decorations that are larger- especially way larger- than the base itself, and the Combat Apron. The flamer coming out of the power fist is cool, the auspex at the end of the mechadendrite is seriously sweet.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Still not really playing, so getting rid of my chaos plastic man's for cash or trade.

Its a Khornate Themed Chaos Marine Army.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3606936&pagenumber=1#lastpost

I am also a horrible painter.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Is there anyone with a Maulerfiend that could tell me how big it is or maybe show me it next to a marine or something? I'm looking at a Maulerfiend for a Fantasy project and I want to see how big it actually is.

Would it fit comfortably on a 100mmx150mm rectangle base or would I have a lot of extra room?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
So I bought that DKoK army. Forgive me, God-Emperor, for I have sinned.
What's more important for a viable mainly infantry list - one or two tanks or commissars?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Noctis, I hope you're ready to sell a kidney.

You'll want 3-6 sets of thudd guns/heavy mortars to get your support started. DKOK are a bit better in melee than a regular guardsman, but not by much. Commissars are probably a good option.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 6, 2014

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Noctis Horrendae posted:

So I bought that DKoK army. Forgive me, God-Emperor, for I have sinned.
What's more important for a viable mainly infantry list - one or two tanks or commissars?

You bought a DKoK platoon, not an army.

I'm sorry.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheChirurgeon posted:

It wasn't a black library model. Gather 'round chil'uns, it's story time.

Back in the day Games Workshop used to do monthly black-and-white bitz catalogs (iirc they were called "Black Gobbo" in contrast to White Dwarf). These would get mailed out with bitz orders and they'd showcase new bitz and cool conversions. After the Vehicle Design Rules (VDR) came out, they started doing a bunch of custom vehicles using bitz from a number of different kits, like that Soritas dreadnought there. They'd list the rules and the costs along with the catalog numbers of all the bitz required. They also did a set for the chaos daemon primarchs as well.

This is an old scan from one of those. What you are looking at is a metal space marine dreadnought with a series of metal bitz from other Sisters kits that were available at the time, such as the Fleur-de-lis and the large purity seal.

E: Not mentioned in the article/image there is you cutting/grinding down the metal sarcophagus of the dreadnought to make a flat surface for the fleur-de-lis

Golly gosh, I just owned on my hams history. Welp. I was referring chiefly to the Black Library models in that eBay auction, but I thought this was part of the same deal.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Devlan Mud posted:

You bought a DKoK platoon, not an army.

I'm sorry.

I use the terms interchangeably. Sorry for the confusion.

BULBASAUR posted:

Noctis, I hope you're ready to sell a kidney.

You'll want 3-6 sets of thudd guns/heavy mortars to get your support started. DKOK are a bit better in melee than a regular guardsman, but not by much. Commissars are probably a good option.

Yeah, I'm actually surprised at how cheap DKoK are compared to other FW stuff. Commissars are pretty drat cheap! Somewhere around $60 for three figures? That's great as far as GW/FW goes. Even the name "thudd gun" sounds hilarious, so I'll be sure to grab those.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Pacheeco posted:

Inferno Cannons still exist both in name and variants; Dreadknights, Tyrannofexes and Soul Grinders all have their own variation on that same S6AP4 Torrent weapon.

But mainly they're the primary weapon of the Hellhound.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

ghetto wormhole posted:

But mainly they're the primary weapon of the Hellhound.

Yeah, I couldn't remember where exactly the Inferno Cannon came from. The group IG player has been mega busy so I haven't seen any Guard on the table in ages. One day I'll have an Armored Battle Group mech IG force of my own. A squadron of Hellhounds or Bane Wolfs with Heavy Flamers seems like it would be absolute terror on the battlefield, moreso the Hellhounds against most Xeno forces. Being able to move 12" and still shoot both the Heavy Flamer and the Inferno Cannon would make short work of most ground infantry.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 6, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Finished the back (almost, forgot something before I took this picture and also forgot a touchup). Working the right arm now might finish the model this week. Then I'll put a rose on the head and do up the base and try to get some non-washed out pictures in the sunlight.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
How did all of you end up picking the armies you ended up playing?

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Picked Blood Angels because I was dumb and thought red armor would be easier to paint than faces and fur; in hindsight I would have gone with with Space Wolves. I much rather prefer painting "organic" models than armored ones although I really enjoy painting vehicles. Then I moved onto Chaos Daemons and then Tyranids because nobody in my group plays either of them.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 6, 2014

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

1. Tau - Goody good space Communists with gigantic robot suits and neat looking infantry. Seriously, the Fire Warrior models look great. Also, I heard they were massively powerful when it comes to shooting. I love shooting.

2. Chaos Space Marines - Space Satan worshiping crazed berserkers backed up by daemon engines.

3. Death Korps of Krieg - World War 1, Red Army-style tactics and general grimdarkness. They're basically Space Marines that aren't Space Marines in the sense that they show little to no emotion and are loyal till death.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Tyranids back in 3rd edition were my first army, because no one else in my group of friends at the time wanted to play them. It also helped that I went half on the Space Hulk box and got 20 genestealers. Sold'em off ages ago.

Moved on to CSM and Daemons since I got a shitload of both, with two GW cases, for $100. Sold those off too, when the 4th ed. book invalidated most of my list and I wasn't really feeling Slaanesh daemons as a primary.

Landed with Dark Angels when I was offered a bunch of terminators for free in exchange for painting some models, and I always liked both terminators and dreadnoughts from a fluff and visual perspective. Sadly, Deathwing aren't really very good right now, so I haven't played them much.

Currently sorta kinda working on a Sons of Medusa army. Mostly scrounging up bitz and shoring away cash for whenever I get around to ordering more stuff. I like the fluff of the SoM, and building crazy cybernetic stuff is right up my alley; plus, it gives me an excuse to do some Adeptus Mechanicus allies :getin:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

My first army was Ultramarines because I was given a Space Marine Force Commander, lightning claw Terminator, and standard bearer as gifts. 13 year old me searched on Google and that was the scheme I saw. Blue was my favorite color so it was a win/win.

Dark Angels were my first "proper" 40k army because I got the big army box when that came out in 2007 and that's when I started actually playing the game in earnest. I was going to paint them as Ultramarines but I wanted to try something different so I went with the codex scheme, and I now had a Dark Angels codex so why not?

Space Wolves were my third army, and I chose them because they were really different from Dark Angels while still being Marines and Imperial, and I was really into metal/long hair/having a beard at the time so they appealed to me.

My Crimson Fists started because I ended up getting a ton of old Space Marines at a flea market one year at Historicon and wanted to paint them in a scheme indicative of the Rogue Trader era. Blue was still my favorite color.

I have an Ork army because Assault on Black Reach gave me a start on them, and I wanted something really different.

My Cadian/Catachan Guard started because I liked the Black Library Imperial Guard books I'd read, and liked the "human" perspective.

I started Iron Warriors because I wanted to make a Chaos army without much magic or daemonic stuff, and I'm gay for caution stripes.

My Valhallans happened because I finally had a good job with real income and wanted to treat myself to something ridiculous like an all-metal foot horde army. It would also be a pretty distinctive aesthetic that I don't see terribly often, and I'd finally get to bring to life those photos from the 3rd edition rulebook of Valhallans holding the line on ice planets from waves of Tyranids :allears:

My second Dark Angels army happened because of Dark Vengeance, and I was tired painting all my other schemes. Yep.

The 2nd edition Ultramarines army happened because I really wanted to paint the old metal Jes Goodwin scouts, but had enough scouts in my Crimson Fists. I figured I'd go whole hog with the 90's aesthetic and start a colorful army with it, and going with Ultramarines, my first army, seemed like a natural choice now that I'm good enough to pull of the schemes I tried as a teenager.

For future plans, I want to do some counts-as Space Marines to run with my Valhallans, but that project is so far on the backburner you don't even know.

I've done failed starts on Flesh Tearers, Tyranids, Eldar, and Tau. I tended to look at the models, admire them, then sell them, or play one game and decide the army wasn't really for me. Guy's gotta have some constraint around army #10, right? :shepface:

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

Slimnoid posted:

We sometimes get guys from Boston at tournaments here in Western Mass, and the general consensus is "these guys are dicks." The guy you mentioned might be part of that group.

SRM posted:

My army's fluff is that they always win :smug:

Pandemonium and the 'Arvard Ardboyz. They weren't all bad, but most of my experiences there were pretty similar. That was a while ago; hopefully it's gotten better in the 5 years since I went, but it wasn't a good time for me generally.

lol. Yeah, these are definitely the same people. A couple of them came out to play one weekend and were looking for a 2v2 game, so I figured no problem and brought random stuff. Turns out they had a paired list that they were practicing for a tournament with odd rules and we were tabled on the bottom of the second turn. And then they asked why I was packing up so early.

E: Armies.

My Dark Angels started at the beginning of 2nd Edition with the Codex: Angels of Death. Dark Angels in 2nd were awesome, scary motherfuckers who could overwatch something special, were stubborn, and back in 2nd Marines were Marines.

Fast forward a good 15-20 years - Necrons I started when IA12 came out, because the book is awesome and I had not gotten a flyer worth owning with the DA in 6th. I've managed to keep that army relatively small, its still under 3000 points all told.

Sons of Horus are a 30k army that is growing a little too fast for my liking, but its about to run out of space in its KR cases and I don't want to buy any more until I finish my Dwarfs.

Zhent fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 6, 2014

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Space Marines - they came in the starter box and were blue/gold. Pretty straightforward

Chaos Space Marines - New codex came out and I think plague marines and khorne berzerkers look cool.

Imperial Guard - These were my second army, I wanted something that played totally different from Space Marines.

Sisters of Battle - I tried to get my wife into painting and playing and she wanted to try the Sisters. She painted but never played. They're pink and purple :getin:

Necrons - Same as CSM really. The new book came out and I wanted to try something new.

Next army will probably be Tau, as my friend is trying to sell them and I'll probably buy them. Even though he doesn't have the new stuff and they're painted horribly. When I buy them I'll probably paint them yellow as I don't have any bright armies.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

For Tyranids (my main faction), I started playing them because I think they're the most visually unique models in 40k, mostly thanks to most of them not being humanoids. Also I thought their names for wargear/biomorphs were really cool, so that was enough for me.

Dark Angels, I just thought robed space marines riding motorcycles was as dumb-cool as you can get.

As for Tau, a big part of it was because I was a big Transformers fan as a kid and the Crisis Suit heads remind me of Shockwave. But also I like their tanks a lot.

So yeah, it doesn't take much for me to want to start an army. I actually really want to make a Dark Eldar army, but I'm kinda waiting until they eventually get a 6th edition codex. I have enough other armies to work on and very little cash so I'm okay with waiting. Not sure what about Dark Eldar interests me, but it probably has something to do with them driving a bunch of Jabba's sail barges around.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

DA: I like their gimmicks (Deathwing and Ravenwing). It's a classic hammer and anvil; bikes to circle around and snipe at the flanks, and terminators to drop in first turn and smite filthy heretics :black101:

IG: I was in the army as an infantry officer, and could relate to their officers. The warzones and how they get there is mostly irrelevant; once they're there it's the company grade officers (captains and lieutenants) leading their non-enhanced human soldiers into what tends up being a spectacularly gory slugfest, backed up only by a few tanks and maybe some air support, if the captain was smart enough to request it before going out on patrol.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Eldar: I mean. They're Elrond's Space Children. What is not to love about that?

Tau: Started them because I thought they had a cool theme... lovely in combat, great at shooting, vastly different playstyle from Eldar. Sold them because I thought they were really boring to play.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I didn't hear anybody mention anything about it yet, so I'll just leave this here.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/SPACE_MARINE_TRANSFER_SHEETS/CARCHARODONS_TRANSFER_SHEET.html

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

I never noticed Tyberos' Lightning Claws have barbed blades on the top but then also SECRET CHAINSAW PALMS :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

I prefer their old name/iconography:

• Locked thread