Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

ScottyBomb posted:

But Caroline Blakiston is still alive and still acting. Why wouldn't you use the original Mon Mothma when you're already inviting back so many older cast members?

I'm not slagging Dame Judi Dench... it just seems, I don't know, disrespectful to recast ONE of the characters just to get a big name on board.

Octagenerian Caroline Blakiston resembles her younger self about as much as any other woman her age. In situations like that, you may as well start over with the casting, especially for characters with previously only 2 minutes of screentime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Mon Mothma is the least important supposedly important character from the OT.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Christ, I search for Mon Mothma and I get this exhaustive Star Wars wiki page which does tell me about her childhood but doesn't remind me at all of what she actually does in the drat movie. Is she the person who briefs Luke and the others about their mission?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

She gives the mission briefing in Return of the Jedi.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
She was also in a Padme storyline in Episode III but it was all cut.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

My main hope is that they mention using all kinds of EU characters in the new films and cast actors, but then cut out every scene featuring them. It's really the best of both worlds. Sci-fi fans get an original story with new characters and Expanded Universe fans get hosed right off. Good times for everyone.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm getting kind of tired of the "EU fans can get hosed" sentiment that's been going around. I mean, it's perfectly fine to not care about or like the EU, and it's fine to hold a belief/hope/wish that it all gets nuked and paved in the wake of the upcoming sequel trilogy. But actively telling EU fans that their opinion is lovely and that they should "gently caress right off" seems needlessly petty and antagonistic.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I hope every single extra in the films is given a name from the EU but with the species/races/genders shuffled around.

Disney publish a Star Wars Fact-File revealing these crucial identities a month before cinematic release.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
Back in college a friend was reading some fan fictions (supported by George) in one of them Chewy was killed by a moon landing on his head. Does anyone know which book this might have been?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Minclark posted:

Back in college a friend was reading some fan fictions (supported by George) in one of them Chewy was killed by a moon landing on his head. Does anyone know which book this might have been?

Vector Prime, first book of the New Jedi Order series. The writers and story planners got permission from Lucas to kill one of the main movie characters in an attempt to show that nobody was safe and there wasn't any plot armor just because a character was in the films.

EDIT: That is, assuming by "fan fictions" you're actually referring to the licensed Expanded Universe works. Which, sorta by definition, is not fan fiction.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 5, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

I'm getting kind of tired of the "EU fans can get hosed" sentiment that's been going around. I mean, it's perfectly fine to not care about or like the EU, and it's fine to hold a belief/hope/wish that it all gets nuked and paved in the wake of the upcoming sequel trilogy. But actively telling EU fans that their opinion is lovely and that they should "gently caress right off" seems needlessly petty and antagonistic.

Actually, to do so is rad and correct!

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

jivjov posted:

EDIT: That is, assuming by "fan fictions" you're actually referring to the licensed Expanded Universe works. Which, sorta by definition, is not fan fiction.

It's possible that soon they'll effectively be licensed fan fictions.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Actually, to do so is rad and correct!

I don't know if you're upset that other posters make fun of your posts and opinions, or what, but in what universe it "rad" or "correct" to insult someone based on the fiction they choose to read?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

jivjov posted:

trap sprung

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

jivjov posted:

I phrased it as a joke because I found it funny to do so, but I do genuinely think that wanting to see the Expanded Universe validated is patently foolish. The Expanded Universe, by way of even being called that, is not Star Wars. It is More Star Wars Brand Product Set In A Simulation Of What Star Wars Would Be Like If It Was Real. That and the actual films, with their visual language and interesting subtext and everything that makes them actually good, should be kept as separate as possible. I don't even hope it gets nuked, you can have your Glove of Darth Vaders and your Thrawns if it really entertains you, I just personally would like to see this anti-EU point made in the films themselves in such a direct and funny way "I saw it happen! Don't tell me it didn't happen!". I'll settle for not bothering with it at all, though.

Also the entire Expanded Universe is fan fiction. All of it. Especially the parts Lucas approved of. The artistic interests of the filmmakers and so on should precede that. I secretly hope that the new films directly violate actual Original and Prequel canon just to hammer this home. Just tell me a good story about space with some decent filmic language.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

It's possible that soon they'll effectively be licensed fan fictions.

"Soon".

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

jivjov posted:

I don't know if you're upset that other posters make fun of your posts and opinions, or what, but in what universe it "rad" or "correct" to insult someone based on the fiction they choose to read?

This one, nerd.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

jivjov posted:

Vector Prime, first book of the New Jedi Order series. The writers and story planners got permission from Lucas to kill one of the main movie characters in an attempt to show that nobody was safe and there wasn't any plot armor just because a character was in the films.

Lucas also punished the story planners by insisting that Anakin Solo die in the middle of the series instead of Jacen Solo, which meant that their arcs were completely screwed up and they had to make Jacen into a Sith much later on. Stackpole, I think, even kept writing as if Anakin would live in hopes they would change it back.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I guess I'm part of the problem because I don't give a poo poo about anything besides Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, and just imagine in my head what happens in the third film is actually really cool.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Speaking of the third film, mild mind blown today when I learned this shot was a matte painting:

e:
A bunch more:
http://makingfx.net/archives/1241

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Jesus, I just watched Jedi last night and I would never have called that. The mattes in Jedi are all amazing, except for one iffy shot of the Falcon in the Mon Cal cruiser's hanger bay.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I love that shot. I remember geeking out as a kid, thinking about this gigantic open window to space, where air and atmosphere and gravity and lives are kept from the vacuum of space with nothing more than a force field.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Electromax posted:

Speaking of the third film, mild mind blown today when I learned this shot was a matte painting:

e:
A bunch more:
:stare:

Well now that you mention it, I can totally see it in the top left and the reflection of the light around the entrance field. But if I hadn't known I was supposed to be looking for it, I probably never would have realized that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Check out how some of the troops have reflections and others do not.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bongo Bill posted:

Oh yeah, that too! Christ, that matte painter had mad talent. I've been watching that movie for 20 years and I'm still learning new things about it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Electromax posted:

e:
A bunch more:

Amazing! I didn't know that and I Always loved those shots. They were so full of detail. :allears:

Bongo Bill posted:

Indeed, I wonder why.

jivjov posted:

I remember reading about that and then reading the novel. I was dissappointed, it felt shoehorned in. Like, nobodies safe! Look, Chewie's dead! Followed by noone of consequence ever getting hurt.
Chewie was probably the safest choice to kill due to his ties with the rest of the characters but his lower popularity compared to the others.
But I was dissappointed by the Yuuzhan Vong crap in total. It felt like they needed a big enemy so they just introduced someone who went "no sell" on everything and was overly complicated and special.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:stare:

Well now that you mention it, I can totally see it in the top left and the reflection of the light around the entrance field. But if I hadn't known I was supposed to be looking for it, I probably never would have realized that.

The top left isn't in frame, so I never noticed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxw5WPRzUOE

In the beginning of the scene where there are TIE fighters flying everywhere, you can tell the Death Star is a matte painting. Also, is it just me, or when Vader and the Emperor are walking, are the Imperial troops... cardboard standees?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

Indeed, I wonder why.

They don't have reflections in the painting because, if you look at the clip posted before, that is where the live actor shots would go, which occupy a black space in the painting. Because the floor is black, it's harder to see, but the other matte paintings have black cutouts where the actors go.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cloud City still has the best matte backgrounds, imo. I love that place.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gammatron 64 posted:

In the beginning of the scene where there are TIE fighters flying everywhere, you can tell the Death Star is a matte painting. Also, is it just me, or when Vader and the Emperor are walking, are the Imperial troops... cardboard standees?
It still looks incredibly convincing to me from that clip. Good design goes a long way!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Probably harder to spot than CGI.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Hbomberguy posted:

Also the entire Expanded Universe is fan fiction. All of it. Especially the parts Lucas approved of. The artistic interests of the filmmakers and so on should precede that. I secretly hope that the new films directly violate actual Original and Prequel canon just to hammer this home. Just tell me a good story about space with some decent filmic language.

I'm not sure calling it fan fiction really means much. I mean, you could say that the original Star Wars is AU setting-swapped The Hidden Fortress fan fiction. And really, by a strict definition any new Star Wars movies are going to be fan fiction, because chances are most people who sign up to work on it are going to be fans of the original movies.

Granted, I still agree that the new movies should stay away from the EU stuff, but that's mainly because most EU stuff isn't very good.

kiimo posted:

I love that shot. I remember geeking out as a kid, thinking about this gigantic open window to space, where air and atmosphere and gravity and lives are kept from the vacuum of space with nothing more than a force field.

No one in the Star Wars universe gives a crap about public safety. Just look at all those narrow walkways with no railings on the Death Star and other places.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, the perspective on the matte painting at the beginning doesn't line up with the camera at all. I love the matte work in the original movies, but that shot could have been done better.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

INH5 posted:

No one in the Star Wars universe gives a crap about public safety. Just look at all those narrow walkways with no railings on the Death Star and other places.

Yeah just saying, everybody should really hope those ships have backup generators in case of a fuse going out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

INH5 posted:

Yeah, the perspective on the matte painting at the beginning doesn't line up with the camera at all. I love the matte work in the original movies, but that shot could have been done better.

I feel like the matte work is one of those things that was helped by being seen on VHS for so long. I never even came close to noticing some of those shots were all matte painting til now. Like how when you watch Terminator 1 on DVD/Blu-ray you get subjected to Arnold's dong flapping around.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

kiimo posted:

Yeah just saying, everybody should really hope those ships have backup generators in case of a fuse going out.

Revenge of the Sith showed that some ships have a bulkhead that'll shut automatically if the magcon field gets deactivated.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also, is it just me, or when Vader and the Emperor are walking, are the Imperial troops... cardboard standees?

I need more men.

I always noticed this. No wonder the Death Star II was behind schedule.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

They use them for target practice. Or at least, they should have.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Gary Oldman in talks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Gary Oldman in talks.

He'd be awesome in any role in the new movie.

• Locked thread