Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

This is not very well thought-out, given that the film has the kaiju surviving precisely because of 'our way of life' (pollution caused by industrialisation), but the characters reject any possibility of changing it in favour of just saying "kill them all". Literally in the film they'd rather spend millions of dollars on building death machines and ineffectual barriers, than curtail the root cause; yet your post places the blame (for refusal to compromise or change their minds!) squarely on your Middle Eastern kaiju. Does this really sound like 'a good idea'?

This whole line of thinking makes no sense in the context of the film's events, though. They learn that pollution terraformed the planet for the kaiju at the point when kaiju attacks were increasing in frequency & intensity on a scale of days and hours, not the years it would take to fix the world's environment even if everyone agreed to do it everywhere all at once. Choosing killer robots over environmentalism wasn't a valid choice in the movie. Plus you're basically asking for an action movie to end by making the world ISO 14001 certified.

Anyway, the 1% who created the world pollution problem (and in real life fought any environmental laws tooth and nail) didn't support the PPDC and its staff of unironically idolized working-class heroes led by someone who got inoperable cancer because a defense contractor cut corners on safety. They defunded it in lieu of a scam where people are paid in food stamps to work at a site with no OSHA compliance so they can be eaten anyway. Blaming Stacker Pentacost for global warming is missing the target.

One way to look at it is that the effort of dealing with the acute crisis of the kaijus left the PPDC without any jagers or nukes to blow up Galt's Gulch, which depressingly enough seems about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

It would be interesting to show a world where trying to fight the kaiju with giant robots didn't work because they were part of the problem - you only fed the system, like when the rockets fired at the terraforming device in Man of Steel rain down on the city - but the film portrays a world where you really can just punch the Godjilra with a big fist. Also, so what if we made the planet more hospitable for the kaiju and their masters? Our impact on the environment was arguably necessary for us to reach this point in history and development. We didn't 'bring it on ourselves', that's like the people who legit think gays cause earthquakes. Even if that was literally true in real life, it wouldn't actually make it wrong to be gay (I'm stretching the metaphor here, so for the benefit of Tezcatlipoca: I am not literally calling global warming german gay).

The kaiju easily represent the effects of climate change on our society, but then the jaegers represent our ability to engineer a way out of those problems. Say by building a weather machine or something. Or maybe a robot big enough to punch hurricanes to death. Either or, really.

Edit:

euphronius posted:

The mechs temporarily addressed some symptoms, they did not solve any of the underlying problems.

Ignoring for a second that mechs were not built to solve economic disparity or systemic poverty but to kill the kaiju, what problems would these be as you see them and how are they to be solved?

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 6, 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The mechs temporarily addressed some symptoms, they did not solve any of the underlying problems.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

(I'm stretching the metaphor here, so for the benefit of Tezcatlipoca: I am not literally calling global warming german gay).

How did I come up in this topic?

Hbomberguy posted:

Ignoring for a second that mechs were not built to solve economic disparity or systemic poverty but to kill the kaiju, what problems would these be as you see them and how are they to be solved?

I don't know if this is what he meant but as I see it the main problem is that powerful aliens want to exterminate humans and take over Earth. The symptoms of that were the rift and giant monsters pouring out of it. The jaegers were built specifically to fight the kaiju. Solving the real problem would be cleaning up all of Earth so the aliens can't live here. Which would be nearly impossible and take decades.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jaegers are nuclear-powered. The power of one is sufficient to "fight a hurricane" rather than need to get out of the way, and it is specifically nuclear power that is used not once but twice to overcome the kaiju, who are literally a consequence of industrialization (specifically, its dirtiness).

The film does not depict anybody consciously deciding to clean up the planet, but symbolically, it has an opinion on that subject.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hbomberguy posted:

I agree. It's a very common theme in films nowadays that the bad guys can be our friends if we all come to a compromise of some kind, or agree to tolerate one another a little more - Avatar comes to mind as a good example.

What Pacific Rim seems to be doing is saying 'yes, but sometimes you actually do have to kill monsters trying to destroy your way of life'. This is a point missing from a lot of progressive agendas. Yeah, we need more solidarity with the Middle East and to come to mutual agreements instead of demonising one another, but there are actually people who want to see the entire West burn to the ground, and won't compromise or change their minds. It might be a good idea to kill those people. Yeah maybe they're reacting to a deeper cultural problem and they're just a symptom, but they are trying to kill us!

This is true - political action requires a concrete opponent. However, Pacific Rim is not as good of an answer to this as Battle: Los Angeles, AV|P:R, Cloverfield, or War of the Worlds remake.

These films are about America attacking itself. Cloverfield seamlessly transitions from being a 9/11 film to an Iraq War film. The monster knocks down a skyscraper, but then it sticks around and occupies the city, in a lengthy battle against local 'insurgents.'

Battle: LA is the US military fighting its own drones. The alien tech is modeled after that terrifying BigDog robot, and so-forth.

What sets them apart from Pacific Rim is the point that this shouldn't happen anywhere. The people bent on destroying the west are us as well. That is, the west is bent on destroying itself. Battle: LA is the best recent example of this, where it is specifically about what makes a man different from a drone or a dog. There's jokes about dogs with human names, the danger of getting your face blown off, and a scene where they search for a comrade's body and find a mangled alien where he fell. The answer is in the commitment to the revolutionary ideal. The film is about rigid self-improvement and self-discipline, with the villains largely irrelevant because they are just a consequence.

This is also the point of Elysium. Although people often mistake it for a straightforward screed, Sharlto Copely's character appears as not only an evil version of the main character, Max, but an evil version of Wikus from District 9. He represents the traps a revolutionary movement can easily fall into - pathological attachments, focus on eliminating individuals to the detriment of systemic change....

The trick is that Copley's character is the one that more resembles the heroes in Pacific Rim. Check his Hanzo Steel, lust for revenge, focus on just attacking bad people, elevation of familial bonds above true egalitarianism, etc.

There's also an aesthetic difference. Cloverfield and B:LA employ handheld camerawork to show the characters' struggle to stay focussed and orient themselves. Again, the idea is to first fix yourself, psychologically - and that's something Mako, I'd argue, doesn't really accomplish. Compare her to Shaw in Prometheus, whose dreams we also enter.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I'm pretty sure this movie is about robots punching monsters, which is honestly a huge step up considering it is a sequel of the acclaimed hit Robot Jox which was about robots punching robots.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'm pretty sure this movie is about robots punching monsters, which is honestly a huge step up considering it is a sequel of the acclaimed hit Robot Jox which was about robots punching robots.

Have you actually watched Robot Jox? The whole movie is about how the Cold War is morally equivalent to a pointless blood sport and that both societies are distorted by participating in it. If anything it's more politically astute than Pacific Rim is (if not exactly subtle.)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Rhymenoserous posted:

What kind of robot are you?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

There's an amazing cultural punchline in that Robot Jox has become a shorthand for 'dumb action movie about robots' despite having far more clear themes than almost any other movie featuring robot fights and made by a master director (well, I like him a lot anyway).

I was at a party last night and someone compared this movie to Robot Jox to try to say it 'was just about robots'. Then it turned out he hadn't actually seen RJ. So what I'm supposed to believe is that Pacific Rim is exactly as deep as an imaginary 'not deep' film that people are making up in their heads.

There's only one movie I know of that's actually only about robots fighting, and it's called Computer Chess.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
All the dudes freaking over the word 'phallus' earlier must have shut off their brains during the RJ scene where the robot unzips his mechanical fly and a chainsaw erection pops out.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

GDT talks at length about the post 3D conversion process in the director's commentary and he's really proud of it. It's too bad I never saw it in theaters and I'll never get to see it in 3D.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Just rewatched this movie with a friend - while it was still plenty fun, I think we'd have enjoyed ourselves more watching five episodes of any given giant robot anime. The film has a weird halfway-house taste to it, between Crazy Anime-Esque Ridiculousness and 'Believable' Modern Hollywood Sci Fi, and I would have really liked either more. Del Toro was restraining himself when he and Beacham should have gone nuts.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

All the dudes freaking over the word 'phallus' earlier must have shut off their brains during the RJ scene where the robot unzips his mechanical fly and a chainsaw erection pops out.

I mean, I get tired of everything being reduced to dicks and Nazis sometimes, but the best scene in the movie is where Mako tells Beckett that he forgot about the sword, pushes the giant red "sword" button with a sword on it... and a giant floppy metal dick comes out. Can you even call it a phallic symbol anymore when it looks like they motion-captured a floppy dong?

I can just picture Del Toro telling ILM in some meeting, "OK, look, the sword...it's a floppy dick. Make floppy dick, how hard is that to understand? She pushes the sword button and floppy dick comes out. Then it gets hard and she sticks it in. You make gold robot balls for Michael Bay? Well, I want the floppy dick."

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mu Zeta posted:

GDT talks at length about the post 3D conversion process in the director's commentary and he's really proud of it. It's too bad I never saw it in theaters and I'll never get to see it in 3D.

You're not missing anything. It was flat, dark and didn't portray any sense of scale at all.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The cinema I saw this is made it look like complete poo poo. Overly dark, no contrast and blurry as gently caress. I get a copy to play on my plasma at home (which has been calibrated) and it's a completely different film, it looks beautiful.

How come cinemas don't seem to have any actual standards when it comes to picture/sound quality? I know there's THX but I think there's maybe 1 cinema with THX certification in the entire country here.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

88h88 posted:

The cinema I saw this is made it look like complete poo poo. Overly dark, no contrast and blurry as gently caress. I get a copy to play on my plasma at home (which has been calibrated) and it's a completely different film, it looks beautiful.

How come cinemas don't seem to have any actual standards when it comes to picture/sound quality? I know there's THX but I think there's maybe 1 cinema with THX certification in the entire country here.

There are probably unique calibrations per movie and the studio never provides information on how to set the projector.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

PriorMarcus posted:

You're not missing anything. It was flat, dark and didn't portray any sense of scale at all.

I thought it looked really good and was probably the best looking post-conversion 3d I've ever seen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Improbable Lobster posted:

I thought it looked really good and was probably the best looking post-conversion 3d I've ever seen.

Yeah, they did a lot of work with the little details in a scene like the kaiju skin parasites when Chau/Newton are at Otachi's corpse.

I think it's one of those things that depends on having a well-calibrated theatre, though, since if they have it too dark already the 3D is just going to kill it.

The water effects were insane in 3D, too. Man, the water in this movie was insane.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The water effects were insane in 3D, too. Man, the water in this movie was insane.

For me nothing sold the sheer scale of the jaegers like the rain on Gipsy as it's wheeled out of the Shatterdome at the start.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
Happy Valentine's Best Thread of CineD!

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/182318809?ref=fb2_tnx_title

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Cross posting this from the animation thread

The kid who played young Mako thought of GDT as being like Totoro.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

All you folks hoping for a Cherno Alpha toy, the wait is over.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

All you folks hoping for a Cherno Alpha toy, the wait is over.

You can buy it now

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I just watched this because the new Godzilla trailer has me all excited for giant monster movies and I figured this would be a good place to turn to to get an idea of what I should expect from another modern Western attempt at a kaiju film. Overall I thought it was pretty but kind of stupid with some really awful dialog and characters that didn't really belong in the same film together.

However, there's a ton of weird stuff going on with colonialism and imperialism in a movie about literal colonists coming to strip the Earth of its resources combined with the related paternal themes showing up in just about every scene. A lot of this just comes down to the fact that the guy in charge of everything was British with an American coming in to save the day while the Russians and Chinese are completely ineffectual. I just about died laughing when a Japanese person and an American walked into a room of Chinese factory workers who then cheered and welcomed them as heroes and saviors.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Good news, fans of Nazi cockbots!

http://www.avclub.com/article/pacific-rim-2-could-still-happen-202480

The long and short: movie's grossed $411 million in box office (about 75% of that international) and it's doing way better merch and home video than expected, so Legendary's CEO is pretty open to a sequel. Basically the only missing component is Guillermo himself with an idea to start developing into PacRim2, since he's a bit busy with another movie due out next year. Thomas Tull sounds like a pretty decent guy, too.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 6, 2014

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You mean $411 million, if it had made $411 billion we'd already have like 7 sequels in preproduction right this second. :v:

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Xenomrph posted:

You mean $411 million, if it had made $411 billion we'd already have like 7 sequels in preproduction right this second. :v:

More like 411 sequels. Hoo-wee that is a blast of a typo he made

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

The film by itself would then have a higher GDP than several developing nations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Incidentally I rewatched Pacific Rim 2 days ago (having not seen it since it was in theatres) and it still owns.
I also got a Cherno Alpha toy and it's awesome and hilarious and Russian as gently caress. It's even got working piston-punch articulation in the forearms, and enough range of motion to do the "smashing it's fists together" thing from the movie. :black101:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Goddamn that was an epic typo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pacific Rim 2 confirmed: now with more combining robots.

quote:

Finally here's some Pacific Rim 2 news for you! Pacific Rim 2 is now being planned and Guillermo Del Toro is now writing a draft of the story.

Legendary Pictures CEO Thomas Tull confirmed that he and Guillermo Del Toro are talking about Pacific Rim 2 and they are planning all the new stuff that will appear on the movie:

"I was literally just with Guillermo on the set of Crimson Peak," said Tull. "We talk about it and have some pretty great ideas. If they come to fruition and we get a great script, then we're open to it. Fans seem pretty passionate about it and working with Guillermo. So, we're open to it."

And Guillermo Del Toro is doing just that as it was reported that he is now writing a script/story draft to Pacific Rim 2

And not only that there are rumors circulating in various social networking sites that Pacific Rim 2 will take some cues from iconic Japanese mecha animes in that Pacific Rim 2 will have Jaegers that will be formed via "combining" similar to Voltron!

This rumor comes from the fact that in Pacific Rim, the Kaiju's were being created to specifically counter the Jaegers. How can the humans counter the ever adapting Kaijus? By making Jaegers with "changing" parts by having it combine with different body parts each fight.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The site is jumping the gun a bit calling it "confirmed"- it doesn't look like there's a greenlight, but Legendary at least wants it to happen.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Realistically if he just started writing, how long would it be until we could have another round of discussion for the fascist overtones focused on the sequel?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

3-4 years.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We could start right now!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
We need look no further than the Voltron-esque theme of combining robots to see the fascist themes in Pacific Rim 2. The implication is that the individual is powerless against the oppression of the alien "other" and its true value can only be realized by submitting to the will of the system. Obstacles faced by the state cannot be overcome unless the individuals fighting the other transform themselves, literally, into a weapon of the state.

...Am I doing this right?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
"there are rumors circulating in various social networking sites"

Quality journalism right there

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Pacific Rim 2: Age of Voltron

God I need this movie now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Snak posted:

We need look no further than the Voltron-esque theme of combining robots to see the fascist themes in Pacific Rim 2. The implication is that the individual is powerless against the oppression of the alien "other" and its true value can only be realized by submitting to the will of the system. Obstacles faced by the state cannot be overcome unless the individuals fighting the other transform themselves, literally, into a weapon of the state.

...Am I doing this right?

Next you have to say how much you utterly reviled the film despite still paying enough attention to analyze every single little detail (dusting for fascism-prints) and completely (and most likely purposely) misinterpret all of the information that the film gives you.

That is how to be the true fascismchatter.

• Locked thread