Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Treasure Island is the closest we'll ever see to a Spelljammer movie and for that alone I think it is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pick posted:

Gay and Disney Villains

I think lot of Ratigan's queer readings is from - Disney has a habit of watching voice actors and putting their motions into the character's animation (Tarzan's Jane was originally a much reserved character until they looked at her VA's expression). And considering Ratigan is <i>Vincent Price</i>, a very wonderfully hammy actor - so the flamboyance and ham drips from every inch of the rat.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
The real question is, why are so many bad-guys British--or at least, British-y or British-coded?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tartarus Sauce posted:

The real question is, why are so many bad-guys British--or at least, British-y or British-coded?

Because they're aristocrats and devious, while also being fairly close to the average (American) audience, at least compared to a German or Russian.

It's probably also a holdover from theater or Shakespeare specifically.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tartarus Sauce posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bls1KKDwmo

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Most Disney films are set in Europe or other foreign countries, and in most media "British" is a standin for "Foreign Upper Crust", so there you go. The only one that really stands out is Scar, whose accent has no excuse other than it makes him sound more evil.

Moreover I don't think it's as many as you'd think. Considering the Disney Renaissance:

Ursula: America
McLeach: American
Jafar: British (Foreign Upper Crust)
Scar: British
Ratcliff: Never seen Pocahontas, but it would actually make sense for him to have a British accent
Frollo: I can't really tell if Tony Jay has a British Accent or not. Does he? To me he just sounds like Tony Jay. In either case he would fall under Foreign Upper Crust.
Hades: American. Jewish American, even.
Shan Yu: He has like six lines in the whole movie, but I don't remember him being British
Clayton: British, due to source material.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

I think lot of Ratigan's queer readings is from - Disney has a habit of watching voice actors and putting their motions into the character's animation (Tarzan's Jane was originally a much reserved character until they looked at her VA's expression). And considering Ratigan is <i>Vincent Price</i>, a very wonderfully hammy actor - so the flamboyance and ham drips from every inch of the rat.

I think some of it also depends on how particular audience members "translate" an animal character. Some people don't seem to, at all, and those who do often project their visions in startlingly different ways. I think it's evidence that no matter what you do in terms of design or attitude, if there's an interpretative step then you're going to emerge with a range of perspectives. This is probably why some films "click" with some folks and feel dead in the water to others.

By the way, flamboyance and ham is my favorite pizza flavor.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Was checking the local theaters for The LEGO Movie and saw this:

Which gets you this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HtACLaRDk0

Not even making the snowflake do a swirl or anything on words that are held ("is-o-la-tion") because I imagine that would up the cost too much. Smart mouse. :allears:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I just came out of the LEGO movie.

Guys, you HAVE to see this movie. because

A) the visuals of this movie is mindbogglingly amazing, EVERYTHING EVEN THE SPECIAL EFFECTS is made out of legos, and the stuff they do with them is utterly loving fantastic and creative. people in the audience were going OOOOH and AAAAH from what they managed to visualize with Lego pieces (I know it's 3D but still I could not tell at all the quality and graphics make you think that this was a loving amazing stop motion flick with great lighting)

B) The themes of this movie are surprisingly subtle, at first you feel like it's a rather interesting condemnation of how people live their lives in the modern world and at first follows (while subverting) the classic tropes of a children's 3D movie, it's really quirky and funny and clever and super amazing action packed but then later on the story takes a sudden and let's say REALLY 'out of the box' turn and twist that propels the message of the movie into something really amazing heartwarming and utterly loving relevant and upturns the 'chosen one' trope on it's head in way that makes it relevant in the real world. this movie really cuts into the spirit of what LEGO really means. it's very reminiscent of Monsters University where two thirds of the movie is pretty good but the final bit is what makes it special.

C) The gags are genuinely clever, some you may have seen before but they're done effectively, and keep coming, the whole movie I was either smiling or guffawing.also extra points for introducing some really cool characters like METAL BEARD and 80's pace dude.

D) this is the best goddamn batman movie ever made.

I could not have asked to make a better Lego movie. there is a reason why this movie stands at 98% rottentomato rankings. a must see especially in as high quality as you can find it.

4.5/5

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 6, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It does seem pretty slapped-together, but I'll bet that it was basically slapped together. I don't think anyone expected this to be a thing. I'm still kind of baffled that it is :psyduck:.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
The Lego movie was made by the geniuses who created Clone High.

That's all I need to know.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I talked my sister out of taking her kids to see The Nut Job and into seeing The Lego Movie.
All goes acording to plan... :twisted:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

good to hear, I'm seeing this with a friend tomorrow then hit the arcade

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Al-Saqr posted:

I just came out of the LEGO movie.

Guys, you HAVE to see this movie.
How's Chris Pratt in it?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

Was checking the local theaters for The LEGO Movie and saw this:

Which gets you this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HtACLaRDk0

Not even making the snowflake do a swirl or anything on words that are held ("is-o-la-tion") because I imagine that would up the cost too much. Smart mouse. :allears:

man they totally missed out on including the intro from that blue owl on the old VHS tapes.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pixeltendo posted:

man they totally missed out on including the intro from that blue owl on the old VHS tapes.

Oh god, I had those tapes (and I found the cartoon the owl original came from - they were cringeworthy sexist and racist)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Strange Matter posted:

Frollo: I can't really tell if Tony Jay has a British Accent or not. Does he? To me he just sounds like Tony Jay. In either case he would fall under Foreign Upper Crust.

Tony Jay will always be Virgil from Mighty Max to me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
So you want me to throw her father into the asylum unless she agrees to marry you? Oh, that is despicable. ... I love it!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Okay, that's a lie. To me he's always Chairface Chippendale. Sorry :(.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Tony Jay will always be that yeti from the Captain Planet episode where the planeteers were shamed for NOT DOING ENOUGH for preventing extinction.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Tony Jay will forever be MEGABYTE. What the gently caress happened after the end of Reboot, you Mainframe fucks!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It's always fun to watch a film and suddenly hear Tony Jay's distinct voice. He's been in a ton of movies, games, and TV shows, though often only in a minor role. That said, he'll always be the Lieutenant from Fallout to me.

Pick posted:

It does seem pretty slapped-together, but I'll bet that it was basically slapped together. I don't think anyone expected this to be a thing. I'm still kind of baffled that it is :psyduck:.

When you think about it, "basically slapped together" is pretty much the best way to approach a Lego film. Who didn't make up stories by combining all the different Lego sets they had when they were young?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
poo poo, I meant for the Frozen Sing-Along, that LEGO movie post jumped in there! :eek:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's always fun to watch a film and suddenly hear Tony Jay's distinct voice. He's been in a ton of movies, games, and TV shows, though often only in a minor role. That said, he'll always be the Lieutenant from Fallout to me.

When you think about it, "basically slapped together" is pretty much the best way to approach a Lego film. Who didn't make up stories by combining all the different Lego sets they had when they were young?

Man, I remember when they came out with the Lego movie set (with a real camera and everything) and wanting it so badly to make some films. Which is odd, since the only definitive Lego Kit I can remember having was a Naboo Starfighter from Episode 1 (although I had some other stuff, I think from one of the later Space sets). I had a Lego-deprived childhood (I played with Thomas the Tank Engine stuff instead-somehow avoided becoming a trainspotter, though). And now some geniuses have decided to make that dream a reality.

gently caress, I want to get some Lego. And then build it into whatever I want.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I hope whatever LEGO sequel they make ends up being a crossover against Bionicle/K'nex

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Pixeltendo posted:

I hope whatever LEGO sequel they make ends up being a crossover against Bionicle/K'nex

I doubt K'nex will ever happen, cause ya know, rival company and all that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pixeltendo posted:

It'd be pretty amusing if they included the action figure lines such as Hero Factory and Bionicle in with the regular minifigs.

Also Friends. And Fabuland. And Duplo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Postin from Lego premiere. Woo! I'm excited. It's all adults so far though.,,

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Thwomp posted:

Tony Jay will forever be MEGABYTE. What the gently caress happened after the end of Reboot, you Mainframe fucks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYrKYETorM8

Megabyte is basically the best.

Also I haven't seen ReBoot in years, and it's really starting to show it's age. CGI has come a long, long way.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Pixeltendo posted:

Get Johnny Thunder and the Rock Raiders in it :getin:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pixeltendo posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen Bionicle movies on Netflix.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYrKYETorM8

Megabyte is basically the best.

Also I haven't seen ReBoot in years, and it's really starting to show it's age. CGI has come a long, long way.

Reboot looked pretty hideous even when it was new. It was like someone decided to try and make a cartoon with their pirated copy of Poser.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 7, 2014

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

raditts posted:

Reboot looked pretty hideous even when it was new. It was like someone decided to try and make a cartoon with their pirated copy of Poser.

Even when it was new? The only thing Reboot had any competition with at the time was Toy story.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It was stiff and janky in retrospect, sure, but the appeal at the time was the absolute newness of the concept. Nothing like Reboot had existed beforehand, and it was a bit awe-inspiring at the time to see the smoothness of movement that 3D could offer. Up until I watched Reboot, I mostly grew up on animated shows (mainly imports like Pokemon or the occasional Western series like Gargoyles) where the limitations of the medium meant that it often used a lot of tricks to fool the mind into filling in the blanks where they couldn't animate every frame. Reboot was entirely different, and the appeal of the novelty showed in the sheer number of 3D shows that started popping up after it. (Beast Wars, Shadow Raiders, Starship Troopers, Voltron...)

(More personally, it was also one of the first shows I remember seeing that made computers out to be "cool," which was, to an ostracized computer nerd, highly enjoyable.)

Pixeltendo posted:

Even when it was new? The only thing Reboot had any competition with at the time was Toy story.

Hell, they preceded the release of Toy Story by about a year. I still have no idea how Mainframe Entertainment ever managed to secure the funding for such a concept. Can you imagine trying to pitch the idea to a company today?

Vermain fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 7, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The LEGO movie is super pleasant and I wholly recommend it :).

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Vermain posted:

It was stiff and janky in retrospect, sure, but the appeal at the time was the absolute newness of the concept. Nothing like Reboot had existed beforehand, and it was a bit awe-inspiring at the time to see the smoothness of movement that 3D could offer. Up until I watched Reboot, I mostly grew up on animated shows (mainly imports like Pokemon or the occasional Western series like Gargoyles) where the limitations of the medium meant that it often used a lot of tricks to fool the mind into filling in the blanks where they couldn't animate every frame. Reboot was entirely different, and the appeal of the novelty showed in the sheer number of 3D shows that started popping up after it. (Beast Wars, Shadow Raiders, Starship Troopers, Voltron...)

Also if you were watching on YTV, they would play cool poo poo like this during the commercial breaks sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScvIbcNV38k

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

raditts posted:

Bionicle is a Lego property, not K'nex.

In fact, Bionicle was one of the reasons Lego survived in the dark days of the late 90's/early oughts. They had made some incredibly terrible business decisions with nearly all of their lines(most notably almost the entire City line, Rock Raiders and that one series with the weird-sized cool dude minifigs) for multiple years that it literally almost sunk the company, and ironically they were at such a point that Mega Bloks was looking to buy them.

I can go into more detail if folks want, but yeah, Bionicle alongside Lego Star Wars and a new CEO saved the entire company. Granted, early Bionicle was basically Technic stuff with balljoints, while later ones became almost all unique pieces, which kinda sucked.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

raditts posted:

Agree. The only thing that ever managed to get me to keep watching was the excellent voice acting and the setting itself. The thought that you were a user making life miserable on your computer appealed to me. :)

Captain Invictus posted:

Bionicle is a Lego property, not K'nex.

In fact, Bionicle was one of the reasons Lego survived in the dark days of the late 90's/early oughts. They had made some incredibly terrible business decisions with nearly all of their lines(most notably almost the entire City line, Rock Raiders and that one series with the weird-sized cool dude minifigs) for multiple years that it literally almost sunk the company, and ironically they were at such a point that Mega Bloks was looking to buy them.

I can go into more detail if folks want, but yeah, Bionicle alongside Lego Star Wars and a new CEO saved the entire company. Granted, early Bionicle was basically Technic stuff with balljoints, while later ones became almost all unique pieces, which kinda sucked.

I am interested. I know that they hit it hard around 2000. But they have recently been on the rise again. Bionicle was big for a while but as far as I can tell it has shrunk a lot.
Anyway I thought that the reason they were making a comeback was because the copyright on lego was going to expire. They were complacent due to being pretty much a monopoly. With the copyright expiring it would allow much more competition into the market which in turn forced Lego to look for new themes. This lead to the many licensed Lego boxes you see now. (star wars lego, harry potter, My little pony lego etc)
But apparently I'm wrong so I am really curious as to what you know. :)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Darth TNT posted:

I am interested. I know that they hit it hard around 2000. But they have recently been on the rise again. Bionicle was big for a while but as far as I can tell it has shrunk a lot.

The Bionicle "storyline" ended about 3 years ago and the toys went with it. Actually, the 2003 sets reportedly almost bankrupted the company themselves because they were reskins of a previous year's model.

(I was into it as a child and I got almost every set from 2005)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Going back to Disney villains for a moment, there are at least a few properties where the villain is presented as excessively masculine; obviously Beauty and the Beast springs to mind, but there's also Tarzan, the recurring use of Pete in various shorts and Goofy properties, The leader of the Mongols in Mulan. It's not as ubiquitous as the schemer archetype, but the bully who throws his weight (and often societal privilege) around definitely happens enough to be another pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fatkraken posted:

Going back to Disney villains for a moment, there are at least a few properties where the villain is presented as excessively masculine; obviously Beauty and the Beast springs to mind, but there's also Tarzan, the recurring use of Pete in various shorts and Goofy properties, The leader of the Mongols in Mulan. It's not as ubiquitous as the schemer archetype, but the bully who throws his weight (and often societal privilege) around definitely happens enough to be another pattern.

The Atlantis villain was also a key antagonist in that mold as well.

One interesting thing I notice is that during the "Dark years" of Disney (basically everything between Lilo & Stitch and Princess and the Frog) the 'antagonists' are much more likely to just be aspects of society or emotion. Treasure Planet has greed and its corrupting nature, Brother Bear has vengeance, Chicken Little is being ostracized, Meet the Robinsons is about loneliness and neglect, along with petty revenge, and Bolt is about realizing your life is a farce. It's heavy stuff.

• Locked thread