Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
What you're seeing is item ID offset. It's a holdover from the olllld days. Your NEI dump should have IDs of +256 from what you have them set as. Look 256 above what you expect and you should see it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

wylker posted:

What you're seeing is item ID offset. It's a holdover from the olllld days. Your NEI dump should have IDs of +256 from what you have them set as. Look 256 above what you expect and you should see it :)

I'm lost then, there's still no "stick". /Give Gerdalti 280 works fine...

Dump on the left, ID on the right:

All this because I want to put logical, mod relevant loot in battle tower chests.

Gerdalti fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 6, 2014

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Anyone know why I might be getting crashes with the latest 1.5.2 build of Carpenter's when I add it to Big Dig? I can make the actual slopes just fine but the few times I've tried to add a Hopseed wood plank to an upside-down slope it ends up crashing the game, and it's a persistent crash where I have to remove the mod from the pack to be able to get back in.

Is that issue not in earlier versions of that pack?

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Pidmon posted:

Anyone know why I might be getting crashes with the latest 1.5.2 build of Carpenter's when I add it to Big Dig? I can make the actual slopes just fine but the few times I've tried to add a Hopseed wood plank to an upside-down slope it ends up crashing the game, and it's a persistent crash where I have to remove the mod from the pack to be able to get back in.

Is that issue not in earlier versions of that pack?

As with any sort of other crashing, it's very helpful if you pastebin the crash report (can be found in %APPDATA%\.technic\modpacks\(modpackname)\crash-reports by default on Windows, not sure where it would be on any other platform) and then link it here.

We can only offer conjecture without the crash report; the crash report will provide (in most cases) the real answer.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

mechaet posted:

I think I just found a mod that needs to immediately be added to all NST packs.

So you'll put in that abomination but not no-id Morph? I always knew you were really the evil behind Minecraft modding!!!:doom:

(Please add Morph to NST)

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Limerick posted:

At first I was like "...what?" but with further consideration, a lot of effort does go into putting a modpack together, so yeah that makes sense.

Growthcraft is obligatory for the booze. Not sure how known or unknown it is but Witchery could fit pretty well in a Viking world.

I'm going to assume you already have Tinker's Construct in the pack because it's just the greatest for medieval tech. There's actually a Metallurgy compat plugin for it. so that's neat.

Chocolate Quest adds a bunch of fun dungeons and decent mobs (which, I'll add, would fit into a viking world just fine) with the downside for you and me that it doesn't play nicely with ATG. :sigh:
Get it anyway if you don't mind floating poo poo.

Vikings need something to fight, though, and good mob mods are woefully hard to come by. Ones that I don't hate include DungeonMobs, Lycanite's, Mutant Creatures, and, if you can stand the monstergirl wapanese stuff, Grimoire of Gaia.
Yeah basically I was shooting the poo poo at my local game store with a guy about Minecraft who was lamenting how he couldn't put together his own modpack that did specific things he and his friends wanted because he didn't have the time and didn't know how to tweak things to make them fun. So he ended up paying me twenty bucks to do it for him.

I have Growthcraft and a bunch of the addons but I didn't know about the Metallurgy/Tinkerers addon, thats gonna save me some serious time in CS2. Chocolate was something I was playing around with, same with the other mob mods. I don't use DungeonMobs because it has a glitch that happens very rarely that is a pain to fix and I don't want to have to deal with it on someone else server if it crops up. I have several alternate dimensions mods, plus Mystcraft so I can use Custom NPCs to make dungeon and raid worlds. I'm also doing Goblins as well, so that adds some fun mobs to fight that are pretty similar to whats added in Chocolate but only in specific goblin villages.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

bbcisdabomb posted:

So you'll put in that abomination but not no-id Morph? I always knew you were really the evil behind Minecraft modding!!!:doom:

(Please add Morph to NST)

Aside from the ability to freak out other players, what does Morph do? It seems like a waste of compute time, tbh.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

mechaet posted:

Aside from the ability to freak out other players, what does Morph do? It seems like a waste of compute time, tbh.
Bat: creative mode flying
Blaze: creative mode flying, immune to lava/burning/fire, water hurts you
Squid: water breathing, quick underwater movement

Those are just a few examples. There's a few other modifiers, like turning aggressive mobs into non-aggressive if you are certain things, burning in daylight, and even mob mods do stuff with the right config settings.

It's a fun mod, and morphing can be cool, but gaining access to creative mode flying instantly or after killing the wither or after entering the nether (it's a config setting when flying becomes enabled) is not for every pack. I really like being my minecraft man and being stuck to the ground firmly. The novelty of flying wears off quickly as it removes the game part of the game when it comes to building, traveling, fighting monsters, and all that. I'm probably alone given just how much people like MPS and Morph. With MPS it at least takes a few hours to get the materials.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 7, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was wondering where people go generally to post about problems with modding at all. I'm in denial about writing a mod; I'm just try to dump out all the recipes I can for the sake of creating some crazy crafting bot. The ComputerCraft forums came up with a suggestion to look at the Advanced Recipe Generator, which looked promising. I managed to get it to bld, and managed to create a zip file from the right directory level to having it try to get loaded. But it shits itself:

2014-02-06 01:16:53 [INFO] [STDOUT] java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: textureType
2014-02-06 01:16:53 [INFO] [STDOUT] at arg.ARG.createRecipeImages(ARG.java:100)

Which craps out at this mapLoaded event:
code:
public void createRecipeImages(TextureStitchEvent.Post evt) {
mapLoaded[evt.map.textureType]++;
That map field is a TextureMap, and I found in the Forge API that it is mentioned there. Due to all the obfuscation, I couldn't figure out through reflection what was really available, so I'm kind of lost. I guess I can try to contact that mod's author if all else fails.

I'm wondering if there are good tutorials on setting up Forge with Eclipse, but also for getting existing source code checkouts to work well with it. I was looking through that code with errors for unrecognized stuff coming up everywhere. It made it hard to poke and prod because I didn't know if I was screwing up myself until I'd run the build.bat. So besides this whole mess, can anybody think of another mod that already dumps recipes for some reason that has some source code I could piggyback? That might be the way to go.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

mechaet posted:

As with any sort of other crashing, it's very helpful if you pastebin the crash report (can be found in %APPDATA%\.technic\modpacks\(modpackname)\crash-reports by default on Windows, not sure where it would be on any other platform) and then link it here.

We can only offer conjecture without the crash report; the crash report will provide (in most cases) the real answer.

Ah, sorry about that, I'll grab it when I get home tonight.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Khorne posted:

Bats also make you one block tall instead of two, so you can get into much smaller openings. Very handy for dealing with crawling around in the ducts so you can wire things up.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

MechaCrash posted:

Bats also make you one block tall instead of two, so you can get into much smaller openings. Very handy for dealing with crawling around in the ducts so you can wire things up.
Yeah, different mobs makes you different sizes. Spiders can climb walls. Chicken can float down.

When you get a ton of mobs you can use [] to highlight and then press ` to favorite. If you hold ` it brings up a quick access wheel for your favorite morphs. It's a really well done mod.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I also noticed while playing around with B-team that morph and hats seem to work so for awhile I was running around as a pig with an afro.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Edminster posted:

Good Christ that is gorgeous. I love the jetpack actually shooting flames! I noticed a few conspicuous shots of the Robits, but I don't see anything obviously changed about them. Care to give any hints?

Well, I made the Robit and I love it so I put it in the gallery. There are some changes to it though. It's little treads now spin when it moves, and there's been some minor AI upgrades to make it less bad at following.

Lots of things planned for it though. A big ol list.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

mechaet posted:

I think I just found a mod that needs to immediately be added to all NST packs.

Sounds like you should make a grudge modpack that only contains mods with ridiculously restrictive licenses.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

fondue posted:

Have you read his postings the past week? It's a cringe-worthy display and misinterpretation of the term 'distribution'.

Limerick posted:

What are you expecting out of a mod with this TOS?
Can someone just do it and see what they intend to do if you violate these ToS? Reskin Thaumcraft to use those textures or something and make an official Minecraft Forums thread about it.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Those of you that play on SSDs, does it improve chunk generating/load time at all, or is that more CPU dependent? I'm getting ready to ditch Archimedes Ships, but Modular Power Armor's movement speed always resulted in an ugly mess of unloaded chunks.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

mechaet posted:

Basically this:

Khorne posted:

Those are just a few examples. There's a few other modifiers, like turning aggressive mobs into non-aggressive if you are certain things, burning in daylight, and even mob mods do stuff with the right config settings.

It's a fun mod, and morphing can be cool, but gaining access to creative mode flying instantly or after killing the wither or after entering the nether (it's a config setting when flying becomes enabled) is not for every pack. I really like being my minecraft man and being stuck to the ground firmly. The novelty of flying wears off quickly as it removes the game part of the game when it comes to building, traveling, fighting monsters, and all that. I'm probably alone given just how much people like MPS and Morph. With MPS it at least takes a few hours to get the materials.

and how it looks really neat. I could just add it to my NST server, but :effort:

(Add the Hats mod too, that one looks like fun)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Where is Thaumcraft 4 research progress saved in a world folder?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Reason posted:

Where is Thaumcraft 4 research progress saved in a world folder?

It's not; it's saved in the users .dat file.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

fondue posted:

It's not; it's saved in the users .dat file.

Whoah, what? Like, on our computer?

Can we edit that?

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

Mystic Mongol posted:

Whoah, what? Like, on our computer?

Can we edit that?

Single player, I think there are tools that would let you do that. But if you're playing on a server, the relevant .dat is saved server side.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Those of you that play on SSDs, does it improve chunk generating/load time at all, or is that more CPU dependent? I'm getting ready to ditch Archimedes Ships, but Modular Power Armor's movement speed always resulted in an ugly mess of unloaded chunks.

I switched to an SSD a while back and it didn't help with slow & missing chunks at all. So yeah, I'd guess it's essentially CPU-limited.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Khorne posted:

You're not alone, I don't like it for the same reasons. It's definitely a really cool mod, but flight wrecks gameplay in weird ways like you mentioned. I'd like a mod that allows climbing and going through 1 block spaces in a more... subdued fashion. It's the same reason I don't use MPS anymore - it's an extremely cool mod, but just what it enables you to do cuts out a big part of the game and makes it lose most of its charm, IMO. Based on my experience with running servers I think most people actually agree with that, they just haven't really realized it. (probably because they've wasted way less time playing/analyzing this game than me)

The only flight I've really liked was IC2 jetpacks, I'm hoping the Mek jetpack that Cheap Shot is working on functions similarly - fairly expensive, doesn't make you go super fast, doesn't give creative mode flight, and doesn't make you immune to fall damage. Things in minecraft work better when they're defined not just by their capabilities but by their (intentional) limitations. It's easy to come up with something that lets you fly, it's harder to make that's fun and fits with gameplay without cutting out big chunks of the way the game plays.

Macropiper
Feb 11, 2007

Pillbug

Nomikos posted:

I switched to an SSD a while back and it didn't help with slow & missing chunks at all. So yeah, I'd guess it's essentially CPU-limited.

Same here, I run Minecraft off a SSD, it makes no difference to the time to load chunks and I still get missing strips of chunks

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Taffer posted:

You're not alone, I don't like it for the same reasons. It's definitely a really cool mod, but flight wrecks gameplay in weird ways like you mentioned. I'd like a mod that allows climbing and going through 1 block spaces in a more... subdued fashion.

For this exact reason I far prefer to play with Smart Moving rather than flit about almost at will. It's got all the climbing, pulling up and one block shuffling covered.

I can only assume it's bad at servers or there's a weird rights thing as I never see it in packs and that's a shame.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

mechaet posted:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=FuHfACry

This is the most recent one, when I reproduced the crash from the night prior.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Taffer posted:

You're not alone, I don't like it for the same reasons. It's definitely a really cool mod, but flight wrecks gameplay in weird ways like you mentioned. I'd like a mod that allows climbing and going through 1 block spaces in a more... subdued fashion. It's the same reason I don't use MPS anymore - it's an extremely cool mod, but just what it enables you to do cuts out a big part of the game and makes it lose most of its charm, IMO. Based on my experience with running servers I think most people actually agree with that, they just haven't really realized it. (probably because they've wasted way less time playing/analyzing this game than me)

The only flight I've really liked was IC2 jetpacks, I'm hoping the Mek jetpack that Cheap Shot is working on functions similarly - fairly expensive, doesn't make you go super fast, doesn't give creative mode flight, and doesn't make you immune to fall damage. Things in minecraft work better when they're defined not just by their capabilities but by their (intentional) limitations. It's easy to come up with something that lets you fly, it's harder to make that's fun and fits with gameplay without cutting out big chunks of the way the game plays.
The spider mode and chicken floating are definitely cool. I don't mind the squid thing as well, because the reality is oceans are pretty much useless in minecraft. There's clay and that's it. I know there are mods that add things to the ocean and they're cool, but without them the ocean is pretty barren. I should probably do my next build in morph modded minecraft entirely underwater as a squid. Placing aqueous acummulators wouldn't even take a bucket.

Flight breaks the game in a bunch of ways. Use a bow, shoot an arrow down. TiC bows do ~25 hearts of damage. Float 3 blocks above the ground, nothing hits, you can kill everything with a sword. You can even exploit bosses in any exploring mod by just shooting arrows at them. Even if they have teleport to you code, they fall to the ground and take massive amounts of fall damage if you shoot from high enough. Someone could argue that it's up to the individual to not be a jerk-rear end and abuse mechanics, but in SMP most people are going to be doing it unless it is blatantly an exploit like item duplication or something. Even then, some servers are a-okay with duplication bugs provided you don't do anything to wreck the server.

I mostly play to the modpack or server's intentions. Which was my original point, certain modpacks probably don't want the kind of gameplay morph can bring. Also, I think there is a config option to just disable flying entirely. Being able to change your player size greatly impacts certain things too. Archers miss you almost 100% if you are 1 block high and on the ground. If you are a spider really bad things can happen to you if you fight the end dragon (managed to get carried/flung around 120 blocks away once, you often get stuck in the air for a few seconds even if you aren't flung). Changing height makes ender man aggro code not work right and Tinker's Construct 3x3 tools don't quite work right either. Being a 1 high bat messes up most builds because creating things for a player vs creating things for a flying bat is pretty different. The perspective a person on the ground and a flying bat sees thing at is very different. That's how I ended up losing interest in the DW20 server. Being a bat made the grand build I had planned kind of pointless.

I also tend to not use stabilized flying mode in MPS. I just use the tap space for lift mode. I feel like that kind of jetpack is still crazy strong, but it's much more balanced and takes far more active input. Anyhow, playing a pack with morph right now and not abusing bat as much as last time. Mostly doing things as a human and shifting to a bat for convenience.

edit: vvv I am pretty sure morph disables flying in The End by default, if not then attack of the b team disabled flying in the end with morph. I used spider to retrieve my tinker construct arrows that got stuck on the top of towers, and I used chicken to float around sometimes. That was pretty interesting. The wall climb mechanic is pretty neat and cumbersome enough in caves or corridors to not be flying. If you just want to kill enderman you can always do the 2 high gap with block ceiling. You can hit them and they can't hit you, and it's a completely vanilla way of abusing that they are 3 high. In the long term there's better ways in modded mc and even vanilla if you want to setup a spawner there, but it's pretty efficient in the early game.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 7, 2014

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Khorne posted:

Float 3 blocks above the ground, nothing hits, you can kill everything with a sword.

When I discovered this for the first time it was in The End and I was like a kid in an Ender Pearl & experience candy store as we had both the MPS flight and Tconst AoE attack scythes. The best part being you don't even have to antagonize them besides looking at them to get a big mosh pit going beneath you. I later found out that's a pretty sad way to get ender pearls or experience but we were all minecraft young and naive once.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

For those using morph and love bats, try a firebat. All the benefits of bats, and immune to fire. Add a heat generator to your MPS suit, stand in a fire and charge it.

Morph and hats is also a great combo, since hats scale. Try a big hat and morph to a Ghast.

Question on Forge microblocks/multipart.
Is there an easy way to register all blocks for cutting?
And can I add compability for cables and stuff that doesn't work with it? Rednet and Applied Energistics mainly.

Finally, is Forge multipart downloaded by mods? How do that work? I had two copies of it once, without downloading it once.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Pidmon posted:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=FuHfACry

This is the most recent one, when I reproduced the crash from the night prior.

Looks like Carpenter's Blocks is expecting a feature in Forge that does not exist. I notice your version of Forge is a bit dated, the latest version for 1.5.2 can be found at http://files.minecraftforge.net/minecraftforge/index_legacy.html .

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
As far as the Morph creative mode flying goes, I myself am a fan of it, if only for the fact it actually motivated me to build awesome stuff instead of just having dingy holes underground.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

mechaet posted:

Looks like Carpenter's Blocks is expecting a feature in Forge that does not exist. I notice your version of Forge is a bit dated, the latest version for 1.5.2 can be found at http://files.minecraftforge.net/minecraftforge/index_legacy.html .

Ah, cool. Where do I have to put the extracted file, coremods or normal mods? I tried running the installer but it's asking for me to 'run the launcher' so I don't know if it's expecting me to point it at the techniclauncher location or what.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
So, if I want to slap AE into AotBT what all do I need to do, just dump it into the mods folder like I did inv tweaks?

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 7, 2014

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Pidmon posted:

Ah, cool. Where do I have to put the extracted file, coremods or normal mods? I tried running the installer but it's asking for me to 'run the launcher' so I don't know if it's expecting me to point it at the techniclauncher location or what.

You need to rename the Universal binary to modpack.jar and put it in the bin folder inside of your modpack's folder.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have really wandered from my original plan in NST of building my undersea dome. Suddenly I'm working on an autocrafting bot and a 3d structure building bot, among other things. Oh well, I wanted technical, and I got it. I figured out how to properly build and install a mod from source. I was missing the reobfuscating step, so everything I wrote was trying to reference things by a name that didn't exist in the actual application. So I started to modify that advanced recipe generator to spit out recipes by item ID into a text file that I could use for an autocrafter. It seems to have missed most of them, and spewed out a ton of exceptions. I think it only found the ones that used a complete 9 slots. Then there are ones that appear to have more than 9 slots, which I assume are just variations. I thought the file was bogus, but I looked up some IDs, and I see some actual crafting recipes. For example, it had the ComputerCraft recipe for making computers in it, and it had the ingots->blocks recipes. However, it was missing things like recipes for making a torch. The important stuff I wanted with Minium is all missing. It sounds like I can attach a debugger and watch it screw up, so that will probably be tonight's fun time.

Does anybody here know how to look up the name of an item by its item ID? I kind of want to make a key for all these IDs. I also wonder if anybody has heard of really impressive autocrafters, or impressive 3d builder bots. I think there was one good 3d printer bot on the ComputerCraft forums, but it looks like you have to use this editor it includes. I also wouldn't be able to place things against walls with it, which I want to do.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Moogle posted:

For this exact reason I far prefer to play with Smart Moving rather than flit about almost at will. It's got all the climbing, pulling up and one block shuffling covered.

I can only assume it's bad at servers or there's a weird rights thing as I never see it in packs and that's a shame.

For me anyway I don't include it because most of it's movement options can be done with items from other mods. I prefer to earn better movement than just have it right away.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Anyone using Unique Artifacts as loot (chest/drops) have an issue where they don't turn into Artifacts, but keep the base item id and get an enchant our two? The dev is looking at it, but maybe you've got more data.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Taffer posted:

A climbing axe that lets you go up vertical walls at a ladder speed would be a good extra utilities or openblocks item, but I hate jerks like me who make unsolicited requests.

Or maybe a Spelunky style rope?

Whats the point of going through one block except for tight wiring spaces?

Travelers boots with feather falling and haste are pretty much all the movement boosts I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gerdalti posted:

Anyone using Unique Artifacts as loot (chest/drops) have an issue where they don't turn into Artifacts, but keep the base item id and get an enchant our two? The dev is looking at it, but maybe you've got more data.
Yeah, the problem seems to be with any mod that auto-enchants equipment. For instance, I have unique artifacts on the loot list for Infernal Mobs, and that mod automatically gives any dropped equipment from the loot table some random enchantments. And when an artifact is given a random enchantment, it sort of "locks" it in and prevents it from being turned into an actual artifact.
I don't know a way around it. So I just hover over it to see what kind of artifact it is (NEI will tell me the item ID), then I punch that item ID into NEI, give myself one from the menu on the right, and throw away the old nonfunctioning one.

• Locked thread