Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Alright so I've been playing a lot of Tropico 4 lately and basically I'm looking for more games where I can impose my bullshit political beliefs on people. I've also played a bunch of Democracy 3 which is great fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Law posted:

Alright so I've been playing a lot of Tropico 4 lately and basically I'm looking for more games where I can impose my bullshit political beliefs on people. I've also played a bunch of Democracy 3 which is great fun.

Liberal Crime Squad is all about imposing your political views on others by any means necessary. It's also a really interesting hybrid RPG/management game.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Kalenden posted:

Good question! Casual is probably the wrong word. What I meant is "realistic but not overly so", NFS:Most Wanted being the prime example.

The Burnout Paradise suggestion looks like it doesn't really have a campaign? But more sand boxy?
What I want is really something that provides incremental upgrades (both in upgrading cars and acquiring new ones), a semi decent storyline/campaign and some racing fun. Most Wanted, again, being the example.

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit looks more like what I meant, but seems to also not be that big on a story/campaign. I'll check it out further though!

In the mean time, other suggestions are also welcome.

Paradise does have a campaign, sort of. You get new cars and each car has unique challenges and whatnot. It's also a fantastic game and very easy to play with a keyboard!

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31052482&postcount=38 tells you how to unlock the DLC that isn't in the Ultimate Box and that, as far as I'm aware, you cannot buy anymore.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Tagra posted:

Are there any decent Gran Turismo/Forza style racers for PC? I just picked up Dirt 3 in the latest humble bundle but I'd like something a little closer to the console options. Tuning is not important, although I want upgrades and a sense of progression. I like racing cars in circles and winning money to upgrade/buy new cars to race in newer harder races :allears:

I have the same question. I bought a Logitech Driving Force GT for my PC to play Euro Truck Simulator with, and I'm looking for some games that work with the wheel.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I'm looking for a space combat game where you get to build your own ships from more or less the ground up. Something kind of like Battleships Forever but bigger I guess. I just want to build combat spaceships and blow them up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's not space but Warship Gunner 2 on the PS2 (and now ps3) has you building battleships and blowing up boats and the occasional scifi superweapons. Later on you get nuclear reactors, lasers, and huge gently caress off wave motion guns to mess with. It's also ridiculously replayable with 3 storylines spanning 70 missions and new game+ to carry your boats and research between them.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 4, 2014

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

:doh:

I forgot to mention, I'm looking for a PC game. I don't have any working consoles. Sorry about that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The ps2 version emulates beautifully. So does the PSP version, but that requires moonspeak skills.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Gratuitous Space Battles might be up your alley, you build a fleet of ships from components and send them off at other armies to do battle. You can't actually control the ships during battle, though, it's all AI controlled. It's on the PC, at least.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Kalenden posted:

Good question! Casual is probably the wrong word. What I meant is "realistic but not overly so", NFS:Most Wanted being the prime example.

The Burnout Paradise suggestion looks like it doesn't really have a campaign? But more sand boxy?
What I want is really something that provides incremental upgrades (both in upgrading cars and acquiring new ones), a semi decent storyline/campaign and some racing fun. Most Wanted, again, being the example.

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit looks more like what I meant, but seems to also not be that big on a story/campaign. I'll check it out further though!

In the mean time, other suggestions are also welcome.

Hot Pursuit is quite typical NFS fare. There are two campaigns, cop and racer. You start out in the relatively slow cars (Boxster, RX8) and completing the events (time trials, pursuits, races) moves you up and up until you get to the Koenigsegg/Veyron tier. So it does have that progression, but all the cars are 'given' to you, you don't choose to buy them. If you do go for it, try to win the gold medal in everything, to 'beat' the game just by getting a medal in everything would be pitiably easy.

The storyline is basically non existent apart from 'this is a place with lots of racers and cops trying to stop them, you are a cop/racer'.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
How is Need for Speed: Rivals? I really loved the old NFS games (NFS: Special Edition to High Stakes) and it looks like it fuses the best from those games to more modern NFS titles...but I don't know if it's "$60 good".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm looking for a free or very cheap way to play multiplayer Mahjong, by the traditional rules, with a mix of human players and bots. What are my options, and does anything in particular stand out as the best?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm looking for a city builder or a business simulator. I eat those games up, and I need more! I own: Democracy 2, Democracy 3 (I also love political sims), Political Simulator 2012, SimCity 4, Game Dev Tycoon, and GameBiz 3. I'm looking for something like Capitalism 2 but not so ancient that it runs and looks like soggy rear end on a modern machine. Can anyone help me out?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Football Manager.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Tropico 4 is worth a look, it's the only other good city builder I can think of. Banished is out in two weeks if you can wait that long.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I'm looking for a new GBA game to play, I have a few I have played to death already, such as Tetris, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars 1&2, Golden Sun 1&2, and Phantasy Star Collection. I just just picked up The World Ends with You, and as such feel like giving my DS Lite a spin again. I was considering picking up Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, but am open to suggestions. While I am familiar with Metroid and Castlevania, I don't feel like playing them at the moment, and as for the games ported from the SNES, I have them all, and don't desire another copy.

Thanks thread.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

numerrik posted:

I'm looking for a new GBA game to play, I have a few I have played to death already, such as Tetris, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars 1&2, Golden Sun 1&2, and Phantasy Star Collection. I just just picked up The World Ends with You, and as such feel like giving my DS Lite a spin again. I was considering picking up Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, but am open to suggestions. While I am familiar with Metroid and Castlevania, I don't feel like playing them at the moment, and as for the games ported from the SNES, I have them all, and don't desire another copy.

Thanks thread.
In a similar vein to Fire Emblem and Advance Wars, there's always Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

EDIT: And yeah, it's a niche series, but consider the WarioWare games if you're fine with goofy minigame collections, they're amazing.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 7, 2014

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

numerrik posted:

Thanks thread.

If you've played any of the later ones it might not be worthwhile, but I spent way too much time playing WarioWare Inc on that thing. Good lord I loved that game.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is on there, and seems more in line with the other games you mentioned.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I'm not a fan of FFT, and I have never played a Mario & Luigi game, I didn't really consider the Warioware game because I have one of the DS ones, but I would be open to Warioland 4 possibly, I was just looking for alternate opinions of what's worth playing.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

numerrik posted:

I'm not a fan of FFT, and I have never played a Mario & Luigi game, I didn't really consider the Warioware game because I have one of the DS ones, but I would be open to Warioland 4 possibly, I was just looking for alternate opinions of what's worth playing.

The original WarioWare is still probably the best one. Twisted I wouldn't really recommend as it's more of a test run for Wii-like motion controls, and features a lot of the same content as Touched.

My other recommendation would be SoundVoyager. It never got a domestic release, but is entirely in English—not that that matters, as you won't even be looking at the screen after the tutorial stages. I've never played anything else like it, and I think it's easily one of the best games of any genre on the GBA.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

This is probably a longshot, but how about a game that's basically The West Wing? I like the idea of a government sim, but economic management and the like makes my eyes glaze over, I just want to deal with crises and rule on issues of the day.

Ravenicus
Jun 30, 2013
The Democracy Games for sure. I really like them and they're a great Gov't simulator.

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer
Is there any good RPG (or RPG-like) game that's all about exploring a big, exotic open world? Skyrim has a huge world, but other than the dwemer stuff, it's all very civilized Nord culture stuff (and not much personality). Things like Witcher 1&2, which are story-driven and mostly take place in towns, also wouldn't fit.

I guess I'd prefer something like Expeditions Conquistador, except less tedious food/sleep management and more exotic locales. Gothic, Risen and oddly enough Two Worlds used to work quite well for me.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Fallout: New Vegas is a good RPGish option, but the last game to really satisfy the world exploration itch was Far Cry 3.

Tomb Raider is even better, with great environments and variety, but it doesn't have an open world if that's a strong requirement.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 7, 2014

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer

pigdog posted:

Fallout: New Vegas is a good RPGish option, but the last game to really satisfy the world exploration itch was Far Cry 3.

Tomb Raider is even better, with great environments and variety, but it doesn't have an open world if that's a strong requirement.

I love New Vegas and think it's a great example of what I'm looking for. But yeah, the open world is a major requirement for me. :) I'll look into base Far Cry 3 - I'd played Blood Dragon but skipped the base game due to claims of idiotic protagonists.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

AbDomen posted:

Is there any good RPG (or RPG-like) game that's all about exploring a big, exotic open world? Skyrim has a huge world, but other than the dwemer stuff, it's all very civilized Nord culture stuff (and not much personality). Things like Witcher 1&2, which are story-driven and mostly take place in towns, also wouldn't fit.

I guess I'd prefer something like Expeditions Conquistador, except less tedious food/sleep management and more exotic locales. Gothic, Risen and oddly enough Two Worlds used to work quite well for me.

If you liked Skyrim but found it a little bland, pick up Morrowind. The combat is uninspiring, but the lore and setting are by far the most exotic of the elder scrolls series. Another option that is RPG-like would be the Stalker series. Explore a hosed up version of Chernobyl.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

AbDomen posted:

claims of idiotic protagonists.

They're almost at a "so bad it's good" level thankfully. And the main villains are both pretty entertaining.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

numerrik posted:

Warioland 4 has probably the most avant-garde humor in a videogame. It's worth playing for that alone.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

numerrik posted:

Thanks thread.

The Mario and Luigi games have already been recommended, and I quite liked the Megaman Battle Network series. If you like Pokemon the GBA Pokemon games are fairly mechanically similar to the current titles, but maybe give the Hoenn ones a miss. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is a fun roguelike-ish dungeon crawler. Harvest Moon Friends/More Friends of Mineral Town is a decent title if you like that series. Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap is a decent Zelda title.

Oh, and the Super Robot Wars Original Generation games are great fun if you like strategy and giant robots. On the off chance you can read Japanese or don't mind looking up a translated menu every once in a while, the other Super Robot Wars titles are pretty fun, too.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what's the new hotness on sandbox space games where you're in the cockpit of a lovely fighter and eventually find yourself commanding a capital ship with fleets of destroyers and fighters?

I heard that Evochron Mercenary might be it, but the whole one man dev team concept usually worries me. :v:

Should I just stick with X3:AP?

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 8, 2014

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Blast of Confetti posted:

So what's the new hotness on sandbox space games where you're in the cockpit of a lovely fighter and eventually find yourself commanding a capital ship with fleets of destroyers and fighters?

I heard that Evochron Mercenary might be it, but the whole one man dev team concept usually worries me. :v:

I tried the demo of Evochron Mercenary and MAN was it bad. I'm sure there are people out there for whom it's the perfect game, but I found it to be violently ugly, clunky, and generally anti-fun.

It's still in development and I don't think you'll ever end up piloting anything bigger than a fighter (though you will control a fleet), but you might want to follow the progress of Enemy Starfighter, being made by a goon. What we've seen so far looks preeetty sweet.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Starsector although it's still in alpha or whatever

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It's not new hotness, but if you don't mind old warmness, Starshatter was too good to be as overlooked as it was, and you can command everything from a lowly fighter to managing carrier operations. I wouldn't call it a sandbox, though, more of an open-ended war campaign that generates skirmishes based on the latest kills each side made.

Free, too. Not 100% bug free, but worth a peek. I blather on about it on my lovely blog here: http://drfrog.wordpress.com/2012/02/06/starshatter/

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Bouchacha posted:

Starsector although it's still in alpha or whatever

That's the one that's Mount and Blade in space, yes? If I like Mount and Blade, will I like it?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

I'm looking for a city builder or a business simulator. I eat those games up, and I need more! I own: Democracy 2, Democracy 3 (I also love political sims), Political Simulator 2012, SimCity 4, Game Dev Tycoon, and GameBiz 3. I'm looking for something like Capitalism 2 but not so ancient that it runs and looks like soggy rear end on a modern machine. Can anyone help me out?

Law posted:

Roach Warehouse posted:

This is probably a longshot, but how about a game that's basically The West Wing? I like the idea of a government sim, but economic management and the like makes my eyes glaze over, I just want to deal with crises and rule on issues of the day.

I have been waiting for someone to make a game like The West Wing, but I think all three of you should check out Fate of the World, if you haven't. I can't recommend the game for entertainment (it has a slew of gameplay problems), but it's a compelling entry in the too-thin list of politically-oriented games.

What I'm really hungry for is a game that doesn't just focus on policy but also on process. The closest thing might be the old DOS game, Shadow President which does feature interaction with members of the President's cabinet and staff, but they're essentially just a set of options menu except for when they resign over gross recklessness.

edit: I just thought of another great oldie political game: Hidden Agenda. The player is the newly elected president of a Latin American country that has just had a revolution. Almost all of the gameplay is the player meeting with politicians, diplomats and citizens that represent the various stakes in the country, and enacting policy based on the advice of the President's cabinet. Hidden Agenda was one of those games that I'm surprised didn't develop a genre onto itself. The things modern computers could do to a game with the philosophy of Hidden Agenda, ah... a sweet only-if.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 8, 2014

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Are there are recent and decent golf games for PC? Tiger switched to console only... realistically the '08 version is probably pretty similar to today's versions, but newer graphics would be nice.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Tagra posted:

Are there are recent and decent golf games for PC? Tiger switched to console only... realistically the '08 version is probably pretty similar to today's versions, but newer graphics would be nice.

I had no idea Tiger had gone and I'd love to play a golf game. I would also love to know this.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm in the mood for some older-school PC FPS gaming, should I re-play Deus Ex or do a first playthrough System Shock 2?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I'm in the mood for some older-school PC FPS gaming, should I re-play Deus Ex or do a first playthrough System Shock 2?

I'd say SS2 holds up *slightly* better. Spiders are still awful artificial difficulty though, I had more trouble with them than all the stuff at endgame that was supposed to be a real threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

C-Euro posted:

If you are going to fire up Deus Ex, I highly recommend Deus Exe if you don't already know about it to get it running at 1080p or whatever you're using. Forcing AA on through my graphics drivers also worked really well for me. Won't take you long at all will get a very obviously 13 year old game looking a lot neater.