Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
There's nothing wrong with cheering for a different conference team, especially if they're in the same state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Ussr posted:

Hmmm, I was born and raised in Texas so I feel no shame in saying this and I also believe it's not going to happen and I'm kinda ready to take a break from the Jerry Garrett Kiffin roller coaster for a season anyway. So if the Texans take Johnny Manziel at number 1 in the 2014 draft I will cheer for the Texans as my primary team (for better or for worse) for the 2014 season.

I'll still be a Dallas fan but I'll be invested with the Texans for 2014.

I kinda feel the same way. I grew up in DFW and I'll always love the cowboys but you gotta have secondary teams. I adopted the Raiders a few seasons ago and it's really sad that I'm more excited about their offseason than I am for the Cowboys.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Doltos posted:

There's nothing wrong with cheering for a different conference team, especially if they're in the same state.

Yeah but Dallas and Houston hate each other pretty much, so that's what's wrong with it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

No Safe Word posted:

Yeah but Dallas and Houston hate each other pretty much, so that's what's wrong with it.

If there ever is an all Texas Super Bowl I would be out of this state as fast as possible.

Doubly so if it was in Texas.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ussr posted:

Hmmm, I was born and raised in Texas so I feel no shame in saying this and I also believe it's not going to happen and I'm kinda ready to take a break from the Jerry Garrett Kiffin roller coaster for a season anyway. So if the Texans take Johnny Manziel at number 1 in the 2014 draft I will cheer for the Texans as my primary team (for better or for worse) for the 2014 season.

I'll still be a Dallas fan but I'll be invested with the Texans for 2014.

No worries, I'm sure there'll be an opening for TTF Texans fans if they actually draft Manziel. :v:

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

No Safe Word posted:

No, it's more like Houston hates Dallas (lots of Cowboys fans down there I guess) but up here in DFW we're like "lol yeah whatever, ok Houston", which probably pisses them off even more. I have no interest in cheering for the Texans since they get kinda annoying with all the Dallas rage, but I'm not entirely surprised that another fan up here would do so.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It's fine when people from Houston hate on the Cowboys, because that's whatever. My issue is when Cowboys and Texans fans alike make terrible Tony Romo jokes as if he's not the sole reason the Cowboys have stayed remotely competitive in games the past few seasons.

It was fun to see my Texan-fan friends on facebook throughout this season though:
First few games: "BULLS ON PARADE"
Next few games: "C'mon time for the bulls to go on parade"
Last few games: Radio silence

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Wasn't he perpetually injured or am I thinking of a different UVA CB that was also taken highly?

e: vvvvvvvvvvv if true that's a bit less of a Whiff might have been a good player if he'd stayed healthy.

The other UVA CB from that timeframe was Chris Cook, who was not great in Minnesota and also attacks women. A charming fellow

Vaya con Dios!!!
Aug 14, 2006

To be fair Dallas and Houston are both awful.

Houston should trade down if they want a QB.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Democratic Pirate posted:

It was fun to see my Texan-fan friends on facebook throughout this season though:
First few games: "BULLS ON PARADE"
Next few games: "C'mon time for the bulls to go on parade"
Last few games: Radio silence

We were dead before the ship even sank. :smith:

firstyear
Sep 9, 2009
Last year I seem to remember someone posting a list of teams' projected compensatory picks - anyone know where I can find a list for this year? For the first time in ages the Lions lost a free agent worth a drat, so I'm thinking they might get a useful pick for a change.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
They signed a hefty free agent in Reggie bush tho

firstyear
Sep 9, 2009
Oh yeah, I'm being really dumb. Would still be cool to see the list if anyone knows where to find it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

No Safe Word posted:

As a Dallas fan from Houston, I root for both teams. Always thought it was silly that Houston fans kept hating Dallas after the Oilers left.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Is there any chance at all, really, that Ha Ha Clinton-Dix falls to Philly?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

anime gently caress pillow posted:

If he falls past the Bears I would be pissed.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Just about the only reason I can't quite like the Cowboys is because of Jerry Jones. And an obnoxious brother but mostly Jerry Jones.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

PrinceRandom posted:

Just about the only reason I can't quite like the Cowboys is because of Jerry Jones. And an obnoxious brother but mostly Jerry Jones.

Ironically Cowboys fans have the same problem

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Dexo posted:

How Scheme Versatile is he? :shepicide:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bhsman posted:

We were dead before the ship even sank. :smith:

rip Duane of thrones

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

rip Duane of thrones

His memories remained in the Underworld, but his run-blocking crossed the Rivers with him.

EDIT: This way, no Texan players can get injured next season. :gbsmith: Right?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Probably. For some reason Calvin Pryor is now a top 10 pick because draft pundits are morons. If that actually happens then predicting where safeties land in the draft is officially a crap shoot.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Kiper projected Pryor to the Packers this time around. There's also some rumblings that the Packers may try to fix Safety in free agency and instead go for TE/OLB in the first. Just rumors at this point but who knows? Also McShay projected Justin Gilbert to the Packers, saying that "Cornerback is a position of need for the Packers" which is only true if they decide to let Shields walk and move Hyde to Safety.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Who are the sort of long armed press corners that the Jaguars might be targeting in this draft? I want to start watching games online for some of these guys because I feel like we might be grabbing some folks in the mid and late rounds

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...

Diodeous posted:

Who are the sort of long armed press corners that the Jaguars might be targeting in this draft? I want to start watching games online for some of these guys because I feel like we might be grabbing some folks in the mid and late rounds

Stanley Jean-Baptiste and Keith McGill are the top press corners in the draft as far as I know. Roby is also a very physical corner.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Vaya con Dios!!! posted:

To be fair Dallas and Houston are both awful.

Houston should trade down if they want a QB.

Eh, I don't see anyone giving up a kings ransom for a shot at Clowney unless it becomes 100% obvious the Rams will take him and that's still far, far, far from a mortal lock.

First overall isn't as bad financially as it was and they're better off just taking who the best fit for them is and sticking with it.

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

Dexo posted:

I don't know, I'd be OK with passing on a safety if there's a good pass-rusher there in the 1st. You can find safeties later, generally, and a lot of high-drafted safeties don't end up being worth the pick.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
Like I agree with you about taking safeties in the first, but then there is this man with a name of Ha Ha Clinton-Dix right there and now I'm not so sure.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Doltos posted:

Probably. For some reason Calvin Pryor is now a top 10 pick because draft pundits are morons. If that actually happens then predicting where safeties land in the draft is officially a crap shoot.

What's wrong with Pryor? I recall he was practically unranked before Kiper started his usual nonsense, so my guess is he had a hot streak at just the right time, but is there anything to suggest that he isn't what they say he is? Seems like his height/weight is about right and his numbers seem a little underwhelming but good.

defiantgiant posted:

I don't know, I'd be OK with passing on a safety if there's a good pass-rusher there in the 1st. You can find safeties later, generally, and a lot of high-drafted safeties don't end up being worth the pick.

With a team like the Eagles where safety is a huge part of why the unit isn't at least mediocre, you can expect reaching, but as I understand it there are a number of teams with huge holes at FS.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Pryor is a head hunter with no discernible football skills. He's going to keep getting himself and others hurt with his play style. Kiper is artificially inflating his stock because there isn't a legitimate safety in this class outside of Dix.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I kind of expect the Eagles to address safety in free agency after whiffing so badly in the draft multiple times on safeties (never forget: they chose Brandon Graham rather than Earl Thomas and then chose Nate Allen in the 2nd to be their safety. WOOPS!!!!).

They should really look at outside rushers in the 1st round. They're critically lacking an impact pass rusher, and Trent Cole is likely here for only one more season.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

Doltos posted:

Pryor is a head hunter with no discernible football skills. He's going to keep getting himself and others hurt with his play style. Kiper is artificially inflating his stock because there isn't a legitimate safety in this class outside of Dix.

I thought Jimmie Ward was supposed to be a pretty legit safety prospect?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

excidium posted:

Probably is. There's several others who may turn out to be solid starters, as well (Ladler, Reynolds, Loston, Bailey).

Safety is incredibly hard to judge, unless you know the exact system they play in.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Doltos posted:

Couldn't agree more with this. Pryor could be the 5th best safety in a pretty weak class. Frankly, I'm not that high on Dix either but that's probably just my bias against Alabama the defenders.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Really looking forward to the Seahawks drafting some crazy reach in the first that turns out to be average and someone in the 6th round who turns out to be awesome.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Has Bruce Irvin been average? I didn't think the guy was even a starter yet.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Has Bruce Irvin been average? I didn't think the guy was even a starter yet.

I think he's mostly a situational player but looking at his stats he hasn't been great. He also missed four games this year for whatever reason.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I've been watching a ton of WR tape and just got around to Donte Moncrief. I am very impressed. His draft stock has been depressed by a few factors that aren't his fault. Poor QB play and a star rookie WR hurt his stats this past year. Other than that he doesn't have the most diverse route tree(avoids the middle of the field) and seems to be a big lumbering guy. The thing is he is his build makes him look much slower then he actually runs. I expect him to run under a 4.5 at the combine.

With good size, reliable hands, and a talent for contested catches it looks to me like Moncrief could be the next Alshon Jeffery.

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

excidium posted:

Apparently he lit up the Senior Bowl. He can play single-high safety, but he can also drop down to cover slot receivers. The only knock on him that I'm aware of is that his measurables aren't overwhelming (5'10" 192, 4.50). I'm really hoping he's around when the Bears pick in round 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Diodeous posted:

If Bradley follows in Carroll's footsteps, expect them to draft a number of seemingly random DBs in late rounds. The only high pick Carroll ever spent on a DB was Earl Thomas, and Bradley should know better than anyone that Thomas essentially makes the entire scheme work. Maybe the Jaguars will be looking for a safety with huge range this year?

All of this is assuming Bradley tries to replicate what he saw in Seattle, which seems reasonable. Seahawks south sounds cool.

• Locked thread